• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Counterpoint: Puyo Puyo Tetris. But I guess that's a particularly special case of stupidity.

Yep, that's a case of using a legal loophole to get a game out in some fashion, exclusive license be damned. They would have certainly pushed for a digital release and not bothered with a physical had it been an option to do it that way.

Raiden V Director's Cut - 1cc with the True Last Boss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSlokBHMFzY

The new mission stages are fun, but they give you too many resources. If you do well on them, you'll get 5 or 6 extra fairies (which basically act as extra lives). At that point, how can you not beat it? Instead of giving a fairy for every 5 gold medals, I think it would be better if you only got one for 10 medals. Or better yet, there should be a bigger clear bonus. They could give you like 500k for every fairy you have remaining for example. Anything to encourage better play would be good.

Really enjoying Dangun Feveron on PS4. To me it feels kind of like Batsugun somehow, very different game of course but it has that same pre-Cave days, bullet hell lite thing going for it. Difficulty seems nicely balanced so far, great visuals and the sub weapons are a lot of fun to use too.

1upsuper

The other day I dipped my toe into the euroshmup genre with Tyrion 2000. It's hard to hate on a game as ambitious as this one, but unfortunately it's a case of quantity over quality, and despite the length, high degree of customization, story, and inspiration from Compile games, Tyrion ultimately seems less than the sum of its parts. The way you earn the story bits by finding secret drops in levels is interesting, and I don't mind missing them as much as I mind not knowing I missed them. I wish there were a way to know how many are in each level. Also, while I appreciate the pre-level customization options, they don't seem to affect combat as much as I had hoped. The fact that you don't actually spend your points -- instead they're more like skill points you can reallocate at any time -- seems to take a lot of the punch out of your decision making. It allows you to be adaptable, but I think what makes these sorts of roguelite (for lack of a better term) elements so appealing is the fact that you have to commit to your customizations, and that's missing here.

Also, this game is really long. I've only beaten chapter 1, but I already feel like I've spent a lot of time with it. I'll probably finish it at some point.

In other news, my friend gifted me the Alltynex trilogy, so I'm really looking forward to digging into those.

The other day I dipped my toe into the euroshmup genre with Tyrion 2000. It's hard to hate on a game as ambitious as this one, but unfortunately it's a case of quantity over quality, and despite the length, high degree of customization, story, and inspiration from Compile games, Tyrion ultimately seems less than the sum of its parts. The way you earn the story bits by finding secret drops in levels is interesting, and I don't mind missing them as much as I mind not knowing I missed them. I wish there were a way to know how many are in each level. Also, while I appreciate the pre-level customization options, they don't seem to affect combat as much as I had hoped. The fact that you don't actually spend your points -- instead they're more like skill points you can reallocate at any time -- seems to take a lot of the punch out of your decision making. It allows you to be adaptable, but I think what makes these sorts of roguelite (for lack of a better term) elements so appealing is the fact that you have to commit to your customizations, and that's missing here.

Also, this game is really long. I've only beaten chapter 1, but I already feel like I've spent a lot of time with it. I'll probably finish it at some point.

Tyrian 2000 is really more like a WRPG than a shmup.

Lore everywhere, much of it not very serious. Secrets everywhere. You can customize yourself until combat is trivial.

KDR_11k

When you beat the game in Arcade mode you get a password to play arcade mode with a different ship. Beat it with that ship and you get another password and so on, until you unlock a real time Scorched Earth like game that has nothing to do with Tyrian itself but is fun too.

This was much easier with the shareware version that only has the first episode...

Tizoc

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME BANPRESTO MADE A MAZINGER Z+GREAT MAZINGER+GRENDIZER SHMUP?!?!
https://youtu.be/L6IdEfZIh3o?t=68

DToBoMh.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
Banpresto games are typically of dubious quality, right?

Banpresto's arcade games were pretty much all developed externally, IIRC, and some of them are quite good.

I've not played the Gundam or Mazinger games but I played one of the Macross games and it was okay, I think NMK made that one.

Banpresto's arcade games were pretty much all developed externally, IIRC, and some of them are quite good.

Air Gallet is damn good, developed by ex Toaplan staff who formed Gazelle. Features some absolutely beautiful sprite work....

Air%20Gallet%2007.png

Always enjoyed Gundhara as well, pretty sure that one is actually developed and published by Banpresto themselves.

BOTEC

Philosoma always looked so cool, then I actually played it and it it turned out to be crap. The constant perspective shifts from stage to stage make it more like a compilation of several mediocre shooters, instead of one good one.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn iOS11 is here but I don't wanna lose all of my Cave hotness, wtf! For the games AND the money I spent (close to $100 I think, considering I rebought the HD releases of the not-Universal titles down the line)

I don't give a shit man it's a Mazinger Z+Great Mazinger+Grendizer shmup.
In my book that's already a masterpiece~

Truly a shame we never had a great videogame based on Go Nagai's world.
I'd shit my pants for a Platinum developed action game with Jeeg, Mazinger, Goldrake (Grendizer)... or back in the day a Treasure helmed 2D action game.
Gahhhhh... homersalivating.gif

I remember as a kid watching Super Robot Taisen's animations and wishing it was a "real" game (back then I hated what would become one of my fav genres thanks to Fire Emblem on GBA, SRPGs)
Or being super hyped by that giant-robots early-gen PS2 game which ended up awful (can't remember the name atm).

Well at least we might finally get a great 3D Hokuto No Ken game...

Fhtagn

Damn iOS11 is here but I don't wanna lose all of my Cave hotness, wtf! For the games AND the money I spent (close to $100 I think, considering I rebought the HD releases of the not-Universal titles down the line)

yeah, this makes me very sad too. Unless they get an update, we loose rRootage and Activision's Infocom collection too. At least Canabalt, Infinity Blade 1 & 2 and Final Fantasy Tactics all got 64 bit updates recently.

I have an iPad Air that I'm not upgrading beyond iOS 10. My iPad Pro has been on iOS 11 for weeks, and my iPhone 7 is still on 10.3.3 and honestly I could keep it there until I get an X but I want watchOS 4.

Has there been any word if ZeroDiv is going to release any more shmups soon on the eShop? Been over a month since they put up Strikers 1945 and Gunbarich.

Also really wish someone would release some Toaplan games like Tatsujin/Truxton and Kyukyouku Tiger.

There were rumours a few years back that Mages planned to release a pack with both Tatsujin games along side an all new third game, hard to know if that was ever close to happening or not though.

@MUWANdo

Banned
There were rumours a few years back that Mages planned to release a pack with both Tatsujin games along side an all new third game, hard to know if that was ever close to happening or not though.

They talked about that recently, it was going to be called "Tatsujin Damashii" and they had the rights secured but they decided they wanted to release a new game on their own merits and not rely on an old IP for attention, so that project eventually became what we now know as Bullet Soul.

The rights to the Toaplan stuff are all over the place: some games are owned or nominally owned by Taito, the ex-Toaplan president owns some stuff, there are trademarks all over the place. Takumi used to have some but they're bankrupt so who knows where those went. M2 had a mobile license from someone but let it lapse without releasing anything.

They talked about that recently, it was going to be called "Tatsujin Damashii" and they had the rights secured but they decided they wanted to release a new game on their own merits and not rely on an old IP for attention, so that project eventually became what we now know as Bullet Soul.

The rights to the Toaplan stuff are all over the place: some games are owned or nominally owned by Taito, the ex-Toaplan president owns some stuff, there are trademarks all over the place. Takumi used to have some but they're bankrupt so who knows where those went. M2 had a mobile license from someone but let it lapse without releasing anything.
that's a shame, I would have liked to see the compilation

Clive

So, Shooting Love Trilogy for the Xbox One. Has a single word been said about it, ever, or do we just know that Triangle Service said they will release something with that title at some point for the X1? It was announced by name only from what I can see three years back but not a word has been said since then. I've been wanting to try out their stuff but the thought of a region free X1 disc is alluring.

Also, could "Trilogy" imply anything but all three 360 disc releases... which are all compilations in themselves (200X + 10th Anniversary + Ge-Sen Love)?

Feels like the Xbox One is pretty much abandoned in Japan at this point so I'm starting to give up hope. Should I just head over to Steam?

PantsuJo

So, Shooting Love Trilogy for the Xbox One. Has a single word been said about it, ever, or do we just know that Triangle Service said they will release something with that title at some point for the X1? It was announced by name only from what I can see three years back but not a word has been said since then. I've been wanting to try out their stuff but the thought of a region free X1 disc is alluring.

Also, could "Trilogy" imply anything but all three 360 disc releases... which are all compilations in themselves (200X + 10th Anniversary + Ge-Sen Love)?

Feels like the Xbox One is pretty much abandoned in Japan at this point so I'm starting to give up hope. Should I just head over to Steam?
I highly suggest you to buy them on Steam, especially on winter sales.

I don't think the XONE will have new releases from them.

That's too bad, big missed opportunity especially since Tatsujin series hasn't had any home ports since the Genesis, PCE (Truxton/Tatsujin) and Marty (Tatsujin 2).

Clive

Speaking of the Xbox One, I was digging around a little bit earlier and now I'm kind of worried about Qute and Natsuki Chronicles. Not just the X1 release but in general. I can't get any of their web pages to load:
http://natsuki.qute.jp/
http://www.qute.co.jp/
http://game.qute.jp/

Natsuki Chronicles was slated for spring 2015, then delayed to general 2015, then delayed to 2016, then delayed to 2017 and the only footage ever shown from late 2016 looked like something very early in development. I really enjoyed both Eschatos and Ginga Force so I was really looking forward to a new game from them.

This could of course just be some oversight or technical error but it's definitely worrying given the seemingly very troubled development of this game.

Edit: thanks for reassuring me that Shooting Love Trilogy won't happen, guys/gals. Will make me get off my butt.

Edit: thanks for reassuring me that Shooting Love Trilogy won't happen, guys/gals. Will make me get off my butt.

If you take a look at the below link you will see shmups being released in Japan 8 or 9 years after the Xbox 360 launched, including titles by Triangle Service and Qute.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23501

So don't think for a second that it definitely won't happen but if you are able to play the games by other means why wait?

Great to see Garegga translated, gives me more hope for a PC / Steam release.

Clive

If you take a look at the below link you will see shmups being released in Japan 8 or 9 years after the Xbox 360 launched, including titles by Triangle Service and Qute.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23501

So don't think for a second that it definitely won't happen but if you are able to play the games by other means why wait?

Great to see Garegga translated, gives me more hope for a PC / Steam release.

Yeah, but at the same time, the Xbox 360 was a tried and true shmup platform in Japan for many years while the X1 was practically stillborn. It's not that big of a deal to me if I buy a game or two on Steam for a reasonable price and then later pick up a collection on disc, if it does happen. You do make a good point though and Japanese developer are often late to the party but stick around for longer.

Battle Garegga is now also up on the Hong Kong store with a description in English so it seems they're making some effort for an international release at least.

Edit: wow. M2 Shot Triggers site in English seemingly confirming Dangun Feveron and Battle Garegga. It's happening!

Top Bottom