• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Cross posted from the pick-up thread. New 360 shooter get!

c35cd67b-c376-4c0d-adce-39728af3ba64_zpsd8e48c78.jpg
tell me all about it! region free? good?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yes it's region free.
Checking out videos it seems super simplistic, dunno, I like Triangle Service's 2D stuff, in fact SC10thA is in my top3 shmup release on X360

Danchi

My Pengo copy has shipped as well. Standard shipping from YesAsia, though, so it might take a while. Would love to hear some impressions when you get the time.

Yes Boss!

you get to sink any more time into it?

maybe only about an hour over the weekend. had to work a twenty-four hour shift on sunday then moved on monday.

that said, really liking it so far! even the little beat-em-up game seems quite cool. have not tried pengo yet, though.

there is out maryland shmup meet next weekend (i think) so hopefully it gets played there, with multi local!

SOME-MIST

very cool. I think I'ma go ahead and order myself a copy next paycheck :>

I'm also jealous about the maryland shmups meet. I think the chicago one is gonna be falling through this year.

A friend of mine is working on a shmup that's quite the homage of the genre:

(Click the image for a Youtube showcase)

Just giving him a bit of a plug. It's free but Windows only, sadly.
That pixel art is cool. That mech looks like a cross between a zaku and gunbuster.

BOTEC

Attn: arcade stick GAF

Did MadCatz stick users have any luck getting Raiden IV Overkill to recognize their sticks? It doesn't seem to like my brawl stick, or my TvC stick (via Wii-to-USB) adapter.

Hori RAP 3 works like a charm. Weird.

BOTEC

Damn, same page...few posts up even. ha!

I've got a ton of Madcatz sticks and will be able to test it for you.

Sweet. Thanks.

The plot thickens! I tried a few controllers like the Saturn USB pad, the NeoGeo USB pad, and the HoriPad 3 Turbo. The Saturn and NeoGeo controllers did not work, the Hori did 100%. Weirder still.

So far I'm only navigating the menus. Start seems to work fine on all controllers/sticks, as do up and down, but the action buttons never seem to register, and I can't enter any mode.

Again, Hori stuff seems to work 100%. Which means that I'm either playing this game on a Sanwa (blargh), or a d-pad (meh). On the bright side, I have an excuse to buy a new stick. \(^o^)/

Hi folks!

So we're going live this weekend at Stunfest in Rennes, France with two Japanese world-record holders, SPS (Ketsui) and WTN (Dodonpachi). Hattori, Japan's best double play Ikaruga player will also be playing.

The schedule is as follows (all French time). Please tune into the stream! Should be a lot of fun. We also have a special announcement that we will be dropping on one of these days...stay tuned.

Wasshoi planning:
- Friday: 12:00 Dodonpachi, 14:00 Ikaruga
- Saturday: 12:00 Ketsui, 16:00 Dodonpachi
- Sunday: 14:00 Ikaruga, 15:00 Ketsui
- stream: http://www.stunfest.fr/grande-scene/

"Extra" planning:
- Friday: 21:00 Puyo Puyo 2
- Sunday: 12:30 Puyo x Tetris
- stream: http://www.stunfest.fr/superplay/

Hi folks!

So we're going live this weekend at Stunfest in Rennes, France with two Japanese world-record holders, SPS (Ketsui) and WTN (Dodonpachi). Hattori, Japan's best double play Ikaruga player will also be playing.

The schedule is as follows (all French time). Please tune into the stream! Should be a lot of fun. We also have a special announcement that we will be dropping on one of these days...stay tuned.

Here are some quick time conversions into EDT:

Wasshoi planning:
- Friday: 6:00 PM Dodonpachi, 8:00 PM Ikaruga
- Saturday: 6:00 PM Ketsui, 10:00 PM Dodonpachi
- Sunday: 8:00 PM Ikaruga, 9:00 PM Ketsui
- stream: http://www.stunfest.fr/grande-scene/

"Extra" planning:
- Friday (Saturday AM): 3:00 AM Puyo Puyo 2
- Sunday: 6:30 PM Puyo x Tetris
- stream: http://www.stunfest.fr/superplay/

Yes Boss!

Again, Hori stuff seems to work 100%. Which means that I'm either playing this game on a Sanwa (blargh), or a d-pad (meh). On the bright side, I have an excuse to buy a new stick. (^o^)/

Weird,

I just tried the two Hori sticks I've sitting out (White FIghting Edge and Arcana Heart) and both din't seem to be working ;-(

Danchi

Some speculation that UFO have released this version without the approval of MOSS and that the reason for the Japanese delay was to patch in improved third-party controller support (as well as fix sound glitches that some people have been reporting).

Hopefully it gets sorted soon. I'm not really fond of the DS3's D-pad.

BOTEC

Weird,

I just tried the two Hori sticks I've sitting out (White FIghting Edge and Arcana Heart) and both din't seem to be working ;-(

Thanks for the report. I did some digging around the interwebz today (checked the shmups.com thread) and a dude had trouble with the SoulCalibur V stick, while another guy said his TE2 worked fine. I feel like we should be compiling a spreadsheet or some shit for devices tested.

So far:
Working:
HRAP 3 SA
MadCatz TE2
Qanba Q1
Qanba Q4RAF

Non-working:
MadCatz BrawlStick
Hori Fighting Edge
Arcana Heart 3 HRAP
SoulCalibur V HRAP

@Danchi: That is the very first thing that popped into my head as soon as I found my stick wasn't responding. I'd wager that SCEJ/MOSS give way more of a fuck about stick support than SCEA/UFO.

I'm planning on grabbing the JP release in May just to confirm this theory, unless they patch the US release up.

eso76

You're also Italian, used to post on it.comp.console and are, possibly, a game-dev (or used to be) on a scooter-motorbikes related game (which got featured on Edge magazine back in the day), am I right? :p

Dem foul Italians, always trying to pull a carramba che sorpresa whenever they meet their counterparts on foreign forums, at which point they generally start writing posts in their obscure language instead of PM'ing.

Also, how anyone can mistake Emalord for Fax, of Fax'n'Giammy's fame, is beyond me.

;)

mdsfx

Am I a fool for not owning Raiden IV on 360?
If it's anything like the other Raiden games, no. I know people love it, but Raiden scoring is wonky to put it mildly. Its all about the easter eggs, secrets, and hidden fairies (wtf?) for bonus scores. I honestly loved until i discovered that. "Dont shoot for 5 seconds, deploy all your bombs on top of that house, then crash into enemy #17 for maximum score."

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It used to be cheap enough to take the risk on no matter what, but now I see the prices have gone up. I think it's good though.

it's on GoD too so if the physical prices get out of hand the digital is a stern $20. I agree that Raiden IV is a good game!

Forgot about that. It's a no brainer for $20 imo. If you have a PS3 Overkill is an even better deal, controller compatibility notwithstanding.

Yes Boss!

Started trying some more sticks on Overkill. Been moving so I'm just trying them as I pull them out. Latest casualty is the Mad Catz VS SH. Simply does not work. Can select the menu items but the buttons are dead. ;-( I'll be trying more shortly.

82E0EC25-25E1-4454-BB38-9D782733586B_zpsltkzvg4y.jpg

jbueno

Started trying some more sticks on Overkill. Been moving so I'm just trying them as I pull them out. Latest casualty is the Mad Catz VS SH. Simply does not work. Can select the menu items but the buttons are dead. ;-( I'll be trying more shortly.

82E0EC25-25E1-4454-BB38-9D782733586B_zpsltkzvg4y.jpg

Well, at least buttons and sticks can be used as spare parts, no? Hopefully no more dysfunctional sticks on your stash though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I wonder if the delay in JPN is because of the sticks situation... Fingers crossed for a patch, someone should poke UFO via Twitter

Yes Boss!

Tried a few more sticks.

Eightarc Sapphire: works! Good cause this is Seimitsu.
Hori VLX: not working.
RAP V3-SE Green Goblin: not working.

BOTEC

Thanks for the updates Boss. Does that Eightarc have a custom PCB for cross PS3/360 compatibility? I wonder how those aftermarket PCB's fare.

Yes Boss!

I've got a couple SAs. Interesting that some work and others don't. Seems like all new Horis are dead.

I'm a bit curious about PS360. Any report on those PCBs? I've got my HD cabs wired with them...probably try them later this evening.

I can try the VSHG later as well if nobody reports back.

Now that I finally tried the game: Overkill mode seems fun! Like the remix misic, too!

FE and Mini are my only native PS3 sticks. If YB brings the game to the shmupmeet tomorrow I can see if it works with the mini and my inPin controller converters.

Ms. Tea

FE and Mini are my only native PS3 sticks. If YB brings the game to the shmupmeet tomorrow I can see if it works with the mini and my inPin controller converters.

I'd love to hear - I use an inPin converter for my stick, and I'll hold off on Overkill if it's not compatible right now.

Top Bottom