• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

oATcQUm.png

"Thanks, Shakespeare."

Ekai

Just saw there has been another shooting in California at a UPS facility by an ex Bernie Sanders campaign volunteer.

Cue even more conspiracy theories about Bernie Sanders supporters /leftists.

It's terrible these things are happening in the first place. No need for them to add even more fuel to this. Though I'm sure they will.

jesus christ

Yes. Do you have something to say?

Got

Banned
“If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks,” Mr. Trump said, as the crowd began to boo. He quickly added: “Although the Second Amendment people — maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Swiggins

Not sure. The local news posted a quote from Bernie acknowledging it and not approving of the behavior.

Bernie Sanders was disavowing THIS shooter, we know next to nothing about San Francisco, can we please not spread misinformation about it until we get more info?

You sure?
He is mentally ill, and he also trafficked in 9/11 conspiracy, moon landing hoax stuff, regularly cited Marx among his favorite authors, and was described by his high school friends as left wing. My point is not to pin blame on "the left", but rather that he's a very poor case to use that unfortunately does get used because of Gifford's party, rather than motivation of the shooter. We have a perfectly good example of toxic far right ideology elsewhere anyway like Dylan roof.
Playing pick and choose, you can create any political narrative you want out of loughner.

Atenhaus

There's some inescapably delicious but bleak irony here, though.

Breaking News: Tyrants who said white people should have guns to shoot tyrants suddenly concerned about white people with guns shooting tyrants.

Swiggins

Breaking News: Tyrants who said white people should have guns to shoot tyrants suddenly concerned about white people with guns shooting tyrants.

Irony, much like Hubris, is a bitch to confront.

cdyhybrid

He is mentally ill, and he also trafficked in 9/11 conspiracy, moon landing hoax stuff, regularly cited Marx among his favorite authors, and was described by his high school friends as left wing. My point is not to pin blame on "the left", but rather that he's a very poor case to use that unfortunately does get used because of Gifford's party, rather than motivation of the shooter. We have a perfectly good example of toxic far right ideology elsewhere anyway like Dylan roof.
You're right, I'm sure the dude who shot up the Republican baseball game was perfectly fit mentally.

Clefargle

I agree with the irony but nothing about any of this is delicious

You sure?

He thought the government was trying to control the population through language. Among many other loony things.

Sorry, but it pisses me off how this went down. A man with untreated severe schizophrenia is sitting in prison because it feels more like justice. Sometimes there is no justice to be had. He had a 15 minute plea bargain because they just wanted to hustle him in and out of the courtroom before anybody asked why a clearly insane man was being sentenced to prison.

He was too crazy for his community college. They kicked him out and told his parents he couldnt come back until he got treatment. His parents did nothing. Wouldnt have helped anyway. He finally got medication and treatment after the shooting and he was still the craziest person I've ever seen in a courtroom.

Reminds me of a case here locally in the last year. Guy with schizophrenia killed a woman 20 years ago. Actually found incompetent to stand trial because of his mental illness. Now remember they dont care how insane you were when the crime was committed, they just care if you are sane enough to understand what is happening in the courtroom. Just in the last year, after 20 or so years of treatment and steadily improving medication, he was finally sane enough so they charged him with murder.

How is an elected official, with a limited term in office, and not a whole hell of a lot in terms of real power, a tyrant?

norm9

I say let them carry guns. Seeing how they're so functional at their jobs already, it's almost an impossibility that they're gonna accidentally shoot themselves or others.

"A fear of town halls"
Almost like people are upset at your horrific political agenda.

This is the big takeaway. Repubs now have an excuse for avoiding their consituents and they can retroactively call upon it for their previous absence.

Lowmelody

"A fear of town halls"
Almost like people are upset at your horrific political agenda.

Yeah, this is why I feel this incident is but a portent.

The GOP need to think hard about the consequences their policies have on the people and by extension themselves, this isn't a game.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

The GOP need to think hard about the consequences their policies have on the people and by extension themselves, this isn't a game.

Considering how they think the people at their town halls are paid actors or undercover democrats, I doubt that will happen.

They'll come up with any excuse to keep their agenda going, and since a lot of them are in comfortably safe districts, they'll have no reason to change unless they're voted out, or the money stops flowing into their pockets.

npm0925

Just wait until Mueller is a) fired, or b) announces his findings. There's going to be a lot more violence. I don't see any way around it. Even if the republicans and democrats negotiate a secret truce to sabotage the Mueller investigation in return for a moderate Trump, the right and left wing media outlets will continue to fan the flames.

Top Bottom