• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I return a duplicate order to Amazon?

K' Dash

So, I’m in the middle of building my house, it’s a two story house with thick concrete walls and floors, so I bought a pair of mesh routers to get internet all over the house and beyond.

The thing is, the package got stuck and Amazon CS offered to send another one and I said yes, to make a long story short, I now have 2 sets of mesh routers…

What say you GAF? Should I return them o should I keep them?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I say return it, or at least inform them about the fact that you got both.

Years ago i ordered a small Laptop. It appeared to have gotten lost in the mail, so they sent another upon request.
Eventually the first and second were delivered. I refused delivery on the second and so it was returned.
Amazon sent me a “thank you” letter.

My clean conscience and honesty is more important to me.

Last edited:

Lasha

Ethically you should ask customer support if they want it back. 9/10 times they will let you keep the item with a clean conscience

FunkMiller

Interesting moral dilemma.

On the one hand, Amazon are a rapacious megacorp, so fuck them.

On the other, you can't know for sure that by keeping the extra set, you won't be getting some low level worker into trouble - which wouldn't be fair on them.

Just so you know, a lot of times you'll contact CS at Amazon if they sent you 2 of something and the CS rep will just tell you to keep it.

Amazon gets so many returned items every year and they literally don't want shit back because it's such a burden to deal with mountains of customer returned items.

'Sir, we're short one mesh router'

'There'll be no hospital then, I'll tell the children'

1yc7xjm.png

Kadve

Where do you live? If its the US they legally can't demand it back so its yours. Something about unscrupulous companies doing it as part of a common scam back in the day.

In other countries though you keeping it may be illegal and the equivalent of theft.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Do not become that which you despise.

unless, you are asking if you’ll need two routers then I say 1 for each floor especially in a concrete building.

I worked for Amazon 8-9 years ago and I can tell you, 75% of people never returned duplicates. Only the nice people, so your call. Generally if you are already asking on a forum, clearly you're feeling some guilt so just return it. Maybe its from a third party seller not amazon directly and therefore you are hurting probably a smaller business.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You should, but I'd be a hypocrite to chastise you. I've kept items mailed to me from Amazon and other merchants that I did not pay for. It happens.

Besides, they make like a bajjiolion dollars a month and will lay people off if their stock prices dips a few cents. Fuck em.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, Jeff needs another boat, don't deprive him.

LordCBH

Nope. Amazon is a soulless mega corp that pushes vast numbers of smaller businesses to closure. Keep the duplicate. Fuck em.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
A delivery person (or thief) left a bag of items in the stairwell of a former apartment and Amazon's response was "You can keep it out return it to an Amazon locker." Instead I just drug it over to the actual apartment complex it was for and let them handle it.

If you're worried about karma, just ask them. They are likely to tell you to not bother, especially if it's not an expensive item.

Winter John

Gold Member
Nah. What you wanna do is pay it forward. Next time you see a homeless guy or a hooker throw em a few bucks. Just say here ya go, nope, no blowjob necessary your next meth hit is on me. Think about it. You keeping the router means 1 less call the Amazon guy has to take. 1 less package the driver has to hold his pee in for. 1 less order the warehouse slave has to process. 1 less blowjob the hooker has to give to get her next hit. It's a win win for everybody

Tams

While they are a megacorp, that doesn't give you an excuse to be a greedy cunt. Ask them what they want to do.

Last edited:
So, I’m in the middle of building my house, it’s a two story house with thick concrete walls and floors, so I bought a pair of mesh routers to get internet all over the house and beyond.

The thing is, the package got stuck and Amazon CS offered to send another one and I said yes, to make a long story short, I now have 2 sets of mesh routers…

They are just going to tell you to keep it. Go ahead and contact them if you need to clear your conscience.

K' Dash

Where do you live? If its the US they legally can't demand it back so its yours. Something about unscrupulous companies doing it as part of a common scam back in the day.

In other countries though you keeping it may be illegal and the equivalent of theft.

I live in Costa Rica.

I just received the two packages, I’m going to to contact them and see if they want the extra back.

Fun thread 😂

JayK47

Amazon doesn't care, so why should you? It will likely end up in a dumpster with all of the other returns.

Winter John

Gold Member
You know there’s probably some starving little street kid whose biggest dream is to one day own a cheap as shit router. You could make that kid’s dream come true but instead you’re just gonna return it back to greedy ole Amazon. He’s gonna become a dictator dude. It’s all your fault.

chromhound

Oh Yeah Yes GIF by The Roku Channel

Locutus

I had a similar situation once but it was an extra copy of Breath of the Wild. I decided it was the right thing to return it. I spent more than an hour on hold with various Amazon customer service agents as they tried to figure out how to process that type of return. I finally just hung up, frustrated that I had tried to give their game back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Talk to customer service and see what they want. If they say return it and they'll pay for shipping then return it. If they say keep it then keep it.

Wayfair send me a wrong shipment 10 years ago. I called them and told them it's the wrong thing (they sent me a chair instead of a small table). They sent me the correct package a week or so later. I asked what to do with the thing they sent me. They said keep it.

Local or small store? Hell no, return it
Amazon? Fuck it, keep it

I went to play a game of warhammer at my local gaming store last week, they forgot to charge me 2 beers, I went back and kindly asked if they could charge me the 2 beers. Last month I went to costco to get my cash back check which was 300$, they handed me 400$ instead and didnt notice until I was home and used the money to buy something on facebook marketplace. Fuck it, I kept the 100$, it's costco

Top Bottom