• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I sell games to EB...?

djkimothy

I'm looking to get rid of about 10 PS2 games. I either don't play them anymore or don't want to play them. I can list them if you want a good laugh. :) Not now though I'm at work...

Anyways, is it worth it to sell these games and get an in store credit at EB towards a DS Lite?

I live in Canada if that make a difference. I don't know if the trade in policy is the same with the US.

Some of them are greatest hits titles so are they going to give me like 2 dollars for them?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

djkimothy said:
Some of them are greatest hits titles so are they going to give me like 2 dollars for them?

Very likely.

Trading in to EB in bulk doesn't make any sense unless there is some sort of "trade 3" or "trade 5" deal, but it's also possible your games may not be on the eligibility list if such a deal is ongoing.

In general EB is going to give you a ridiculously low trade value.

LakeEarth

Try Blockbuster, up in Canada they have a deal that they'll give you a minimum of $8 for the game unless they have too many of them.

It is honestly much more worth while to find the nearest bridge and throw them off of it. The excitement of doing that act is far more superior than the piddly pocket change they'll reward you for bringing your games in.

Vexidus

A few weeks ago I went through my movie collection and seperated many I didn't want/need anymore and traded in about 12 to EB.. I got $27 (Cdn) but they were really crappy dvds and most of them were previously viewed Blockbuster ones too

I saved the better ones like Memento special edition to put on ebay sometime

I expect the same sort of treatment for games, a couple bucks per game unless it's brand new

You just missed their trade 4 PS2/GC/XB/DS/PSP games get $10 in extra credit, if you aren't that hard up for cash I suggest you save the games and wait until the next one comes around.

MoxManiac

The Mighty Schwein said:
You just missed their trade 4 PS2/GC/XB/DS/PSP games get $10 in extra credit, if you aren't that hard up for cash I suggest you save the games and wait until the next one comes around.

PezRader says the deal is coming back, and it's been knocked down to 3 games to get 10 dollar credit

Christopher

When someone says in the store, DO YOU HAVE ANY GAMES TO TRADE IN after like the 3rd time say why yes I do...you will make someone's rainbow much brighter that day.

MoxManiac said:
PezRader says the deal is coming back, and it's been knocked down to 3 games to get 10 dollar credit

Hard to believe they'd knock it down to 3 and get $10 extra without some major exclusions or a minimum trade value, something like that. But if true, thats pretty damn cool.

I traded in a system and some games there while they were doing their $20 extra for systems and trade 4 get $10 extra..

After +10% extra for having the card and another +10% extra for moving the trade in credit to pre-orders they actually gave me $60 for a gamecube (they sell them used for $59.99) and some of the games I traded I think the guy said they were actually giving me more for the game than they would re-sell them for. (2002/2003 sports games)

Weird.

djkimothy

Thanks for your input guys it's much appreciated. FYI my list (from memory):

-Socom II (play III now, but even then don't have much time for)
-Dragon Quest 8 (I can't se myself playing this again)
-Ace Combat 5 (GH) (good, but not great)
-God of War (awesome game but little replay value)
-Myst III (I was a huge Myst fan but this turned me off)
-Resident Evil 4 (good game but I don't see myself keeping it)
-Resident Evil: Outbreak (I must have been drunk with this purchase)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (original) (Have Subsiten.... whatever
-Grand Theft Auto Vice City

I don't remember the other one...

I guess I should either look elsewhere to pawn this stuff out or to sell it to friends as a 60$ package?

There are games I have that have no replay value as well but will not sell due to sentimental reasons (eg, Silent Hill series and Shadow of the Colossus)

So yah, it looks like I have to bear the brunt of a DS Lite purchase?

I did see a placard at my local EB store that said something like trade 3 get 10$, trade 5 get 20$ etc... I don't know if this policy is still in place or applies to me...

daemonic

Banned
I sold about 10 Gamecube games to Blockbuster recently and got about $90 in store credit. I was fairly surprised because most of the games were either really old or already PC titles. Anyway, I'd avoid EB if possible.. you'd be seriously better off just keeping the games.

djkimothy

demonix69 said:
I sold about 10 Gamecube games to Blockbuster recently and got about $90 in store credit. I was fairly surprised because most of the games were either really old or already PC titles. Anyway, I'd avoid EB if possible.. you'd be seriously better off just keeping the games.

Well, if I sell it to a store I'd like to get credit towards a DS Lite, if not then cash would be better. I don't rent enough movies to sell it to Blockbuster. :)

djkimothy said:
Thanks for your input guys it's much appreciated. FYI my list (from memory):

-Socom II (play III now, but even then don't have much time for)
-Dragon Quest 8 (I can't se myself playing this again)
-Ace Combat 5 (GH) (good, but not great)
-God of War (awesome game but little replay value)
-Myst III (I was a huge Myst fan but this turned me off)
-Resident Evil 4 (good game but I don't see myself keeping it)
-Resident Evil: Outbreak (I must have been drunk with this purchase)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (original) (Have Subsiten.... whatever
-Grand Theft Auto Vice City

I don't remember the other one...

I guess I should either look elsewhere to pawn this stuff out or to sell it to friends as a 60$ package?

There are games I have that have no replay value as well but will not sell due to sentimental reasons (eg, Silent Hill series and Shadow of the Colossus)

So yah, it looks like I have to bear the brunt of a DS Lite purchase?

I did see a placard at my local EB store that said something like trade 3 get 10$, trade 5 get 20$ etc... I don't know if this policy is still in place or applies to me...

I recently traded in RE4 and they gave me $18 for it, which isn't bad for EBs. The rest of those im not sure how much you will get because they are all $20 or less MSRP, probably won't be much, but if you get the extra $10 you might get around $60 or so (i got 60 bucks and i only traded in 4 games). by the way as of Monday, when i went in, they were still doing the "Extra $10" deal.

djkimothy said:
Well, if I sell it to a store I'd like to get credit towards a DS Lite, if not then cash would be better. I don't rent enough movies to sell it to Blockbuster. :)

Keep in mind if you want cash I think most places knock a certain percentage off the value (I know EB/Gamestop cut 20% off). Also, keep in mind that if you have a EB or Gamestop card you get 10% extra trade in credit, and you can get another 10% extra if you put it towards a pre-order. Call whatever places you have available to you and ask what the trade in value is for a few of those games, see if there are any specials, and get whatever info you need like if they give cash or what.. and then go with whatever gives you the most.

But if you want the maximum amount you can get out of those games you'll have to go through ebay.

daemonic

Banned
djkimothy said:

Yeah that would be ideal... keep in mind that Blockbuster does in fact sell both new and used games for most systems (not just movies). You can still pick up a few games with the credit you receive.

shuri

Banned
djkimothy said:
sell this as a mega bundle on ebay, you'll get much more money than you would, believe me, I was pretty reticent about selling stuff on ebay, but with the stuff i sold, it completly paid for my 360 :lol

djkimothy

shuri said:
sell this as a mega bundle on ebay, you'll get much more money than you would, believe me, I was pretty reticent about selling stuff on ebay, but with the stuff i sold, it completly paid for my 360 :lol

LOL, okay this eBay stuff is sounding good. But I think I'm going to have to get a friend of mine to sell it as I never used eBay before and I'm in the middle of thesis write up so it's not something I want to stress over. Maybe there's a local store here that'll sell it on eBay for me. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Amir0x

Banned
The Mighty Schwein said:
Hard to believe they'd knock it down to 3 and get $10 extra without some major exclusions or a minimum trade value, something like that. But if true, thats pretty damn cool.

I traded in a system and some games there while they were doing their $20 extra for systems and trade 4 get $10 extra..

After +10% extra for having the card and another +10% extra for moving the trade in credit to pre-orders they actually gave me $60 for a gamecube (they sell them used for $59.99) and some of the games I traded I think the guy said they were actually giving me more for the game than they would re-sell them for. (2002/2003 sports games)

Weird.

seems it's currently happening:

ti_header.jpg

Gantz

Banned
I want to get rid of Beyond Good & Evil and VF4: Evo. How much will EB give me? How much would I get for them on Ebay?

The Mighty Schwein said:

Weird.

It is Trade 3 games Get an Extra $10..

You can mix and match systems too and you can use GI/EDGE cards to boost another 10%

So you in the end make out with more money.. If you have a subscription to GI use the coupon inside for B2G1F on used, or the coupon for get an extra $20 on trade in of systems.

Exclusions of the trade = sports titles and wrestling and demos.

I'm trying to get rid of my original GBA SP, will EB or anybody take those?
I think you get $30 for that.. Dont take my word for it.. I dont actually work in the stores.

X26

Banned
not worth it unless it's some kind of deal (X games for 1 new game, +$X for every trade in, X% more trade-in vlaue, etc.)

It grinds my gears to see them give $5 for a game and turn aorund and sell it for $20-$30

MoxManiac

X26 said:
not worth it unless it's some kind of deal (X games for 1 new game, +$X for every trade in, X% more trade-in vlaue, etc.)

It grinds my gears to see them give $5 for a game and turn aorund and sell it for $20-$30

They gave me $2.50 for siren, and they turn around and sell it for 12.99.

They gave me $15 for Samurai Warriors: State of War PSP and turn around and sell it for $34.99.

I only did it for the $10 bonus promotion; ****ing scam artists otherwise.

daegan

PezRadar said:
It is Trade 3 games Get an Extra $10..

You can mix and match systems too and you can use GI/EDGE cards to boost another 10%

So you in the end make out with more money.. If you have a subscription to GI use the coupon inside for B2G1F on used, or the coupon for get an extra $20 on trade in of systems.

Exclusions of the trade = sports titles and wrestling and demos.

I think you get $30 for that.. Dont take my word for it.. I dont actually work in the stores.

This does not stack with the extra $10. HOWEVER if you have anything that doesn't qualify it still works.

06 year sports titles are good for the deal as well.

ahmad

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
It is honestly much more worth while to find the nearest bridge and throw them off of it. The excitement of doing that act is far more superior than the piddly pocket change they'll reward you for bringing your games in.

:lol :lol Nice one

daegan said:
This does not stack with the extra $10. HOWEVER if you have anything that doesn't qualify it still works.

06 year sports titles are good for the deal as well.

Maybe it depends on stores with POS conversions.. I can tell you the users at CAG have been able to double the offers.

daegan

PezRadar said:
Maybe it depends on stores with POS conversions.. I can tell you the users at CAG have been able to double the offers.

Possibly? I know you're not SUPPOSED to. Legacy POS doesn't allow it.

Haha, I remember going to trade in my copy of Guardian Heroes Advance on GBA, about a month after its release. They offered me three dollars. Keep in mind that they were selling it new for SEVENTY DOLLARS (Australian).

THREE DOLLARS. I left.

MoxManiac

Infernal Monkey said:
Haha, I remember going to trade in my copy of Guardian Heroes Advance on GBA, about a month after its release. They offered me three dollars. Keep in mind that they were selling it new for SEVENTY DOLLARS (Australian).

THREE DOLLARS. I left.

They offered me four dollars (credit, not cash) for FFTA. They were selling it used for twenty five.

djkimothy

OK, so I was just at the mall this afternoon and noticed a placard stating that if I trade in 10 games I get $50 extra. Extra on top of what? The individual trade in values? Does anyone from Canada know what I'm talking about? An extra 50$ for 10 games, I know, $5/ game but if that's on top of the trade in value then it seems "okay". This was EB games BTW.

Deal or no deal?

They seem to be advertising the 2 games for 20$/2 games for 30$ like crazy as well.

Reminds me of the Gabbo/GABBO/GABBBOOOOO ads on the Simpsons.

djkimothy said:
OK, so I was just at the mall this afternoon and noticed a placard stating that if I trade in 10 games I get $50 extra. Extra on top of what? The individual trade in values? Does anyone from Canada know what I'm talking about? An extra 50$ for 10 games, I know, $5/ game but if that's on top of the trade in value then it seems "okay". This was EB games BTW.

Deal or no deal?

They seem to be advertising the 2 games for 20$/2 games for 30$ like crazy as well.

Reminds me of the Gabbo/GABBO/GABBBOOOOO ads on the Simpsons.

oh your canadian.. well that changes EVERYTHING. :p (gj at me reading first post)

Grifter

PezRadar said:

That was right on the money, thank you. I'm afraid to ask how you knew if you don't work there. :)

Traded in six games and got over 80 towards a DS Lite. Biggest surprise was $10 pre-bonus for Dog's Life...hope that's not some rare valuable game I messed up on. :D

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Don't sell your games to EB. Either sell them on ebay, sell them privately, sell them to your local independent gamestore (Gamerama at Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto FTW), or give them to charity.

Tarazet

Grifter said:
That was right on the money, thank you. I'm afraid to ask how you knew if you don't work there. :)

Traded in six games and got over 80 towards a DS Lite. Biggest surprise was $10 pre-bonus for Dog's Life...hope that's not some rare valuable game I messed up on. :D

Dog's Life (PS2, I assume) is actually pretty uncommon, and you could have gotten $20+ for it on Ebay.

Grifter

Fatghost28 said:
Don't sell your games to EB. Either sell them on ebay, sell them privately, sell them to your local independent gamestore (Gamerama at Yonge and Eglinton in Toronto FTW), or give them to charity.

Wish you had posted this before today since I'm gonna be in TO tomorrow.

As for ebay, unless it's a rare collectable, the posting and shipping aren't worth a few extra bucks to me since I have less free time.

Top Bottom