• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I watch Citizen Kane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElFly

It's still a good movie. Maybe a little slow, like most of the old movies, but still worth a watch.

kulapik

giphy.gif

Scavenger

It has good cinematography, but other than that it's not that remarkable. Actually, the problems surrounding the release of the film are a hell lot more interesting than the film itself.

Empty

it's a really entertaining film

people make out like it's this kind of crusty old historical relic only liked for its influence by scholarly types when actually citizen kane is easily enjoyable by anyone who likes good film drama (not that you're guaranteed to like it, just that there's a much higher chance than you think if you like the godfather let's say)

check out this scene for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzhb3U2cONs

potam

Banned
It's good. Just remember, this film invented a lot of techniques which are commonplace now. If you keep that in mind, then you will appreciate the movie more.

Without a doubt. It's beautifully shot and the story hasn't aged much. It's really enjoyable and you don't need to be a cinema snob to enjoy it wholeheartedly.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I look forward to your feedback, OP. Like many masterpieces of years gone, Citizen Kane can be extremely stodgy for poorly trained heads

Gruso

Yes.

If you're halfway interested in cinematography and what made Citizen Kane special, check out a documentary called "The computer that ate Hollywood."

I thought it was dreadfully boring and pretty highly overrated but based on what most people think you should probably watch it at some point, if for nothing else than to decide for yourself whether or not it is the "best of all time".

Alphahawk

The film is a meme at this point. No critic worth his salt wants to say that Citizen Kane is anything less than perfect because then they will be admonished for not knowing what they are talking about.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I thought it was dreadfully boring and pretty highly overrated but based on what most people think you should probably watch it at some point, if for nothing else than to decide for yourself whether or not it is the "best of all time".

CK is not the best of all time. It's just one of the countless best movies of all time, that's for sure

Kill3r7

Yes. It is a fantastically done film and a brilliant character study. Welles' astonishing performance is the driving force behind the movie. Plus, he took on the Hearst empire.

PS I'm completely ignoring all the technical advancements. A film that revolutionized the industry.

Amory

Sure, but temper your expectations going in. It's a good movie but it's not the best movie ever made like a lot of people make it out to be, at least IMO.

It's one of the greatest movies of all time. Not only for it's technical advances for camerawork and telling a story through the lens, but for the fantastic drama portrayed in the movie. The epic of a man who wants to soak in the love of the common man, but whose money has made him incapable of being a common man.
Yes, watch it.

Tobor

Of course you should watch Citizen Kane.

That goes for any other classic film as well. Always broaden your horizons.

Well, technically the "it's the Citizen Kane of gaming" comment was first made in reference to Metroid Prime, though I'm sure such a thing was said many times before but not in such a public forum.

tchocky

Well, technically the "it's the Citizen Kane of gaming" comment was first made in reference to Metroid Prime, though I'm sure such a thing was said many times before but not in such a public forum.

I think it was already a cliche by that point I remember reading many people making fun of "When will gaming get it's Citizen Kane" type comments and I'm pretty sure that was before the ign article.

edit:

Heres an article by former Bungie developer Matthew Burns from 2008 just over a year before the ign Metroid Prime article

It has become a recognized cliché in these kinds of conversations to ask, “have games had their Citizen Kane yet?” It’s not as if the moment Citizen Kane was released, everyone suddenly decided that the medium of film was serious and important and the next great art form. But I think there’s a reason we have been speaking in terms of Citizen Kane and not, for example, Un Chien Andalou. While both are important milestones in the history of the medium, Citizen Kane is accessible and easy to like. It synthesized much of what was known about filmmaking up to that point into a coherent whole. It married technical innovations with a good story. It showed that a film could be high and low, art and spectacle, serious and entertaining all at once. A medium that can deliver all of that in one package is a great medium indeed.

iuuk

Worth watching even if you know the twist?
As people said, yes. You'll miss something, but the entire movie is building the story, you don't need the 'twist' to finally realize what he's missing. Kane's character and life are more than enough to keep you interested throughout the movie (if not; not knowing the twist won't help either).

Having said that, I'm really glad I somehow managed to avoid knowing it when I watched the movie. It just does a fantastic job of summing it all up in one small scene
/object
and seeing that did make me appreciate the movie more. Makes for such a tragic ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom