• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Microsoft just embrace "cinematic" third-person action adventure games?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Look at the true values of traditional. Even if it's 40% vs 45% it's still a higher amount.

Here’s what I’m looking at; a drop from 88% to 45% in a span of four years.

They hope to have twelve live service games available by the end of fiscal year 2025.

Guerilla and Naughty Dog are working on Live Service games. Two top developers not working on traditional games automatically takes away from traditional games.

I’ll leave it at that, no need to derail the thread further.

Getting back to the topic I don’t think doing a big cinematic open world game is important for Microsoft. I also don’t think they could pull it off as well as Sony.

Hugare

They’ve been delivering AAA games with MC ratings from 80 - 90+% for the past couple of years now. Gears 5, Halo Infinite, MSFS, Forza Horizon 5, Deathloop

The OP is talking about big budget single player narrative games.
They wont make them like Sony 'cause they cant

Even Phill aknowledge it some time ago, if I'm not mistaking it

And also 'cause it doesnt fit Game Pass. Just like Netflix, they will make 1-2 big releases to make people sign it, and then will make a bunch of GAAS crap to see if there's one that sticks and keep people using the service.

Making 20h big budget games dont make sense financially to GP

Last edited:

Woggleman

They should do what they do best but do it well. Whether or not you like so called cinematic games Sony does them very well and they set high standards for what they produce. Nintendo does the same for the games they produce. Microsoft should do the same. If a Pizza Place is getting crushed by the Chinese Place next door the solution is not to start making lo mein but to make the best pizza they can make.

Robbinhood

Banned
"cinematic" is the dumbest term because it doesn't really mean anything.

Only in 2023 do you lump Spiderman and TLOU in the same category even though they play nothing alike. Just a lazy term to downplay a game. No one ever put those two games in the same genre now they are for reasons.

What does cinematic really mean? It means the game has good story and cutscenes. Not more cutscenes or more story, just better executed so when those things are well done people downplay the game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
They wont make them like Sony 'cause they cant

Even Phill aknowledge it some time ago, if I'm not mistaking it
They can't, and they're really not smart business-wise either. Look at what happened to Crystal Dynamics. Nothing could really be a better test case considering it's a popular Marvel IP, and it's a really well made cinematic action game. After Guardians of the Galaxy bombed, they were sold to Embracer. One miss at this scale can tank a studio. Look at Asobo and Plague Tale. The games are well received but it's not like anyone really talks about them on par with Sony games or they have sales to reflect that. MS even got part 2 on GP and it barely moved the needle for them. MS only has a handful of studios that could probably match Asobo in that particular genre: Ninja Theory, Coalition, maybe Initiative with Crystal Dynamics helping. That's about it.

LordCBH

No. They should focus on the type of games they want to focus on. But they need to make them actually good. No more shit like Redfall, Infinite, or Crackdown 3.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Most of you guys in this thread are lunatics. You embrace the stupid "cinematic 3rd person" narrative that people put on Sony for console war reasons. As if a game like God of War should be viewed in a negative light. It's embarrassing that any gamer would actively NOT want a game like Spiderman 2 on their console.

Console warring is at an all-time high in the levels of stupidity that it's displaying. It was never this stupid 10-20 years ago.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Most of you guys in this thread are lunatics. You embrace the stupid "cinematic 3rd person" narrative that people put on Sony for console war reasons. As if a game like God of War should be viewed in a negative light. It's embarrassing that any gamer would actively NOT want a game like Spiderman 2 on their console.

Console warring is at an all-time high in the levels of stupidity that it's displaying. It was never this stupid 10-20 years ago.
It has nothing to do with console warring with me. I’m just over that genre. Last I want is more in it. That’s why I said “fuck no”

Give me more RPG’s, shooters, sims, survival horror, or whatever. I loved Alan Wake when it came out, but I tried to play it a week or so ago and my drive for that cinematic 3rd person just wasn’t there. Maybe things will change and I’ll want to go back one day.

mckmas8808

One day somebody will articulate what on earth """"""cinematic gaming""""""means.

Does it mean cutscenes, Dialogue, set pieces, good production values, good voice acting?.

Seems to be a pretty meaningless term that almost any game could fall under.

It's a phrase that only Xbox fanboys use. They need to say these things and lie to themselves because Xbox has decided not to make big AAA games within the last 5 years.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Well if their output in those said categories was true we would have seen evidence of such a thing, but you'd have to go back to the 360 era to find any such evidence. Again maybe they will get back to that place but I won't hold my breath.
They have a big rpg releasing in 18 days, Fable and Avowed next year. They are back on track.

DeaDPo0L84

They have a big rpg releasing in 18 days, Fable and Avowed next year. They are back on track.
I mean...sure. But lets be real, they essentially purchased Starfield, this wasn't some long term project they developed in house with a long term 1st party studio. Fable and Avowed are so far off we have absolutely no clue if they will even be good, and looking back on recent history there is more reason to be pessimistic than optimistic. But as someone who loves RPGs and plays on PC, I hope all three of these are absolutely mind blowing, already have Starfield pre-ordered.

ulantan

It has nothing to do with console warring with me. I’m just over that genre. Last I want is more in it. That’s why I said “fuck no”

Give me more RPG’s, shooters, sims, survival horror, or whatever. I loved Alan Wake when it came out, but I tried to play it a week or so ago and my drive for that cinematic 3rd person just wasn’t there. Maybe things will change and I’ll want to go back one day.
What genre?

mckmas8808

Sony doesn't have a genre. They make games. Yall have to stop it, man. It's okay to respect what another company does, but to buy the other product. It'll be like saying all Nintendo games are just "teh kiddy gamez"

The thread was never really going to go well with how it was framed. To actually get into it would require a lot more nuance.

As for the "cinematic" label in general, both sides have a point and both sides are talking past each other almost completely. Yes, all the games are different. You really can't group them all together under a label with no definition. Totally fair. But yes, a lot of people also are growing bored with a loose collective of design decisions that they don't know how to define other than "Sony games." 1) Pseudo realistic art style with tons of realistic detail graphically, 2) lots of dialogue during gameplay, 3) light stealth in tall grass or bushes, 4) mature storyline sometimes with a Dad or a kid. 5) Camera placement is 3rd person, zoomed in close to show off incredibly high quality character model. It's mostly a tongue in cheek reference to a lot of totally unrelated things. Kratos is slightly reminiscent of Joel, but the games are really not that much a like.

It reminds me of people saying they were sick of Unreal Engine games on PS3/360 because they had similar visual design. Yes, they don't all have similar visual design. But if you try to hear what people are articulating (poorly), you can sorta get what they mean and they're not exactly trying to lie about it. They're just grouping together a lot of stuff to make it easy to talk about.

Thank you for being honest and thoughtful. But the bolded 5 points that you listed is why mainly Xbox fanboys or Playstation haters are the only ones saying Sony only makes "cinematic games" with little to no gameplay. The only true reason they are grouping them together is that Sony makes those games.

They don't attack and negatively label the following games......

- GTA5
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- RE4 Remake
- Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5
- Devil May Cry 5
- The Witcher 3
- All Tomb Raider games
- ALL Batman Arkham games
- Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3
- All Gears of War games
- All Dead Space games

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I couldn’t get into A Plague’s Tale for the same reason, and I will likely skip Hellblade 2.

- GTA5
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- RE4 Remake
- Devil May Cry 5
- The Witcher 3
- All Tomb Raider games
- All Gears of War games
- All Dead Space games
I think the difference with some of those games is they don’t take control away from the player at the same as some other cinematic games. Red Dead 2 is more of a simulator to me, and Witcher and Mass Effect are actual RPG’s with player input on moving the game story into different directions.

I just beat Tears of the Kingdom. I put in over 200 hours. I think the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes is like 99:1. That’s what I’m looking for in my games these days. I dropped FF16 because of its pacing and cinematically, same way I did the first Hellblade earlier this year.

My tastes have changed I’ve noticed. I used to love the idea of Metal Gear Solid, but the idea of sitting down to play MGS4 is something I never want to do again. MGS5 did a better job at putting its gameplay first.

ulantan

I couldn’t get into A Plague’s Tale for the same reason, and I will likely skip Hellblade 2.

I think the difference with some of those games is they don’t take control away from the player at the same as some other cinematic games. Red Dead 2 is more of a simulator to me, and Witcher and Mass Effect are actual RPG’s with player input on moving the game story into different directions.

I just beat Tears of the Kingdom. I put in over 200 hours. I think the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes is like 99:1. That’s what I’m looking for in my games these days. I dropped FF16 because of its pacing and cinematically, same way I did the first Hellblade earlier this year.

My tastes have changed I’ve noticed. I used to love the idea of Metal Gear Solid, but the idea of sitting down to play MGS4 is something I never want to do again. MGS5 did a better job at putting its gameplay first.
And that's fine but cutscenes are not a "Genre" of video games.

samoilaaa

i want games with great level design , engaging combat , good environmental storytelling , a world that has alot of interactivity great writing not more cutscenes

Punished Miku

Gold Member

- GTA5
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- RE4 Remake
- Devil May Cry 5
- The Witcher 3
- All Tomb Raider games
- All Gears of War games
- All Dead Space games
I definitely have mentioned that I dislike GTA 4 and 5, RDR 1 and 2, and The Witcher 3.

Batman, I loved the 1st one. I couldn't finish the 2nd and 3rd and think they're inferior games. Like I said, the presence of cutscenes doesn't really mean its a dealbreaker for me, it was just the repetition and in Batman's case the open world level design was a huge step down from the 3D metroidvania of the 1st. And a lot more Riddler bloat. Spider Man 1 was obviously a lot like Arkham, but the 1st game was still fresh enough for me to really love it.

Tomb Raider reboot, I liked the 1st one. The platforming felt less automated than more scripted games. You can actually fall a few times, and there's some light puzzles at least. I was bored on part 2 and didn't finish it.

Dead space I liked the 1st one. I didn't love it. But it was worth a try and did some cool things with the UI being built into the suit and the map display. Never played 2 or 3.

Mass Effect 1 is like KOTOR but with bad shooting. I don't really think a WRPG with all those quest lines is really the same thing here.

Metal Gear, I don't think this is the same at all personally. The only MGS games I truly loved were 2 and 5.

I played Gears of War 1 like 17 years ago. I thought it was fun. I haven't played any since then. I don't remember it for story or cinematic qualities at all. I remember it for being one of the first TPS ever and the blindfire mechanic stolen from Kill.Switch.

RE4 Remake I hated the demo and didn't buy it. Got a lot of shit for that on here actually.

Last edited:

NickFire

They already embraced it. Couple quick examples - They paid for a year of excusive Tomb Raider before. Gears is basically this genre with multiplayer added in. Indy is now an exclusive.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
They already embraced it. Couple quick examples - They paid for a year of excusive Tomb Raider before. Gears is basically this genre with multiplayer added in. Indy is now an exclusive.
I think Gears 5 has gone more shooter than the past entries. Gears 5 was an amazing game. It put gameplay action first. Story happened while you were playing with scripted events. Very few cutscenes.

mckmas8808

But you do see how lumping in a games like Hellblade and Spiderman into one pile is insane, right?

You say this, and then immediately go on to say this:

It's a phrase that only Xbox fanboys use. They need to say these things and lie to themselves because Xbox has decided not to make big AAA games within the last 5 years.

You’re complaining about stupidity and then contributing to it.

Also, no one in the thread has said they wouldn’t want a Spider Man type game on Xbox. The OP is asking if we want MS to embrace cinematic games over the games they’re been releasing, and our answer is no. Again, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t release any. Gears has always been that type of game. Hellblade II will be that type of game. But keep releasing the other stuff. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, you’re just clearly upset for some reason.

No. I like variety compared to the cinematic company. I'm fully aware most here want to play expensive, cinematic, less-bloated Ubisoft games, but these games are not for me.

mckmas8808

You say this, and then immediately go on to say this:

You’re complaining about stupidity and then contributing to it.

Also, no one in the thread has said they wouldn’t want a Spider Man type game on Xbox. The OP is asking if we want MS to embrace cinematic games over the games they’re been releasing, and our answer is no. Again, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t release any. Gears has always been that type of game. Hellblade II will be that type of game. But keep releasing the other stuff. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, you’re just clearly upset for some reason.

The OP doesn't say "ONLY". It says embrace. The Xbox 360 had the highest amounts of "cinematic" games when compared to the Xbox One and Series consoles and it did great for them. The only thing that upsets me is when certain people want to flip good games into negatives by calling them "cinematic games".

Cinematic games are......

- Heavy Rain
- Detroit Become Human
- Hellblade
- Plague's Tale
- Life is Strange

Those are what all of us could\should consider cinematic games. FF16 is the literally opposite of those games lol. And so is The Last of Us, Gears, and God of War.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
To a certain extent, sure. I think they need to try to cover as many areas as possible decently.

Microsoft has been in the console market for approximately 22 years, and even before that, they released video games. Throughout this time, their ability to release AAA games has decreased to the point where they're releasing mostly subpar content, except when the title is Forza or Gears of War. They weren't able to create studios for this purpose; in fact, they focused on hiring studios (2nd party) to create their exclusives. This had the negative consequence of these studios not continuing their work with each IP.

Microsoft lost or closed AAA studios, managed poorly, and now had to buy renowned studios since they are completely incapable of managing the ones they already had.
Sony also acquired studios over time, but most of them have been part of the company for decades and have managed to produce high-quality exclusives.

The good thing about Xbox is that we are witnessing the emergence of good AA games at a relatively good frequency. This is excellent, and I don't see how it can be criticized.
Now I'm curious to know how they will manage such a large array of large-scale studios.

I think in some cases, the purchased studios are so significant that there's almost a certainty of some success, while in other cases, we might see Microsoft again releasing subpar content due to their inability to manage.

History shows that they aren't capable; let's see if anything has changed.
Time will tell.

Last edited:
sony-live-service.jpg

I’d say they’re definitely moving when Live Service goes from 12% of their business model to 55% in 2023 and increasing to 60% by 2025. It’s eating into their single player output.

Keep in mind they’ve also got a couple of their top traditional game making teams doing Live Service games. Even if we’re to say it’s not a pivot, it’s definitely a step away from their traditional games and towards Live Service.

Never seen this before, what’s it from? Would certainly explain their 2023 lineup (or lack thereof).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I definitely have mentioned that I dislike GTA 4 and 5, RDR 1 and 2, and The Witcher 3.

Batman, I loved the 1st one. I couldn't finish the 2nd and 3rd and think they're inferior games. Like I said, the presence of cutscenes doesn't really mean its a dealbreaker for me, it was just the repetition and in Batman's case the open world level design was a huge step down from the 3D metroidvania of the 1st. And a lot more Riddler bloat. Spider Man 1 was obviously a lot like Arkham, but the 1st game was still fresh enough for me to really love it.

Tomb Raider reboot, I liked the 1st one. The platforming felt less automated than more scripted games. You can actually fall a few times, and there's some light puzzles at least. I was bored on part 2 and didn't finish it.

Dead space I liked the 1st one. I didn't love it. But it was worth a try and did some cool things with the UI being built into the suit and the map display. Never played 2 or 3.

Mass Effect 1 is like KOTOR but with bad shooting. I don't really think a WRPG with all those quest lines is really the same thing here.

Metal Gear, I don't think this is the same at all personally. The only MGS games I truly loved were 2 and 5.

I played Gears of War 1 like 17 years ago. I thought it was fun. I haven't played any since then. I don't remember it for story or cinematic qualities at all. I remember it for being one of the first TPS ever and the blindfire mechanic stolen from Kill.Switch.

RE4 Remake I hated the demo and didn't buy it. Got a lot of shit for that on here actually.
This is how this accusation always ends by the way, which is why it's never worth it to even acknowledge it. Painstakingly describe my opinions on a dozen games listed that will supposedly prove whether or not I'm a fanboy shill, and then there's zero response. Takes the person accusing others of being shills zero effort to shit up a thread and takes the people trying to undue their damage a lot more effort, and then nothing comes from it.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
The OP doesn't say "ONLY". It says embrace. The Xbox 360 had the highest amounts of "cinematic" games when compared to the Xbox One and Series consoles and it did great for them. The only thing that upsets me is when certain people want to flip good games into negatives by calling them "cinematic games".

Cinematic games are......

- Heavy Rain
- Detroit Become Human
- Hellblade
- Plague's Tale
- Life is Strange

Those are what all of us could\should consider cinematic games. FF16 is the literally opposite of those games lol. And so is The Last of Us, Gears, and God of War.
Agreed. Always thought that cinematic games were games lacking in gameplay. GOW is a game that requires tons of skill, challenging, and has deep mechanics. Most of sony games with the so called cinematic gaming experience like GOT, last of us 2, and spider man offer the same. mean while the same people will praise games with no challenge or skill needed basically what Sony calls story mode gameplay,

Last edited:

mckmas8808

This is how this accusation always ends by the way, which is why it's never worth it to even acknowledge it. Painstakingly describe my opinions on a dozen games listed that will supposedly prove whether or not I'm a fanboy shill, and then there's zero response. Takes the person accusing others of being shills zero effort to shit up a thread and takes the people trying to undue their damage a lot more effort, and then nothing comes from it.

How does it end? Because that person's response goes against what the OP is saying. Not liking some 3rd person games, whereas liking some others is fine. It's when people are lumping all Sony games into one pile and just acting as if they are all cinematic games. That is 100% false and most of these trolls know this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How does it end? Because that person's response goes against what the OP is saying. Not liking some 3rd person games, whereas liking some others is fine. It's when people are lumping all Sony games into one pile and just acting as if they are all cinematic games. That is 100% false and most of these trolls know this.
All I can really control is my own actions and I'll just try harder to not take the bait. All that can be done really.

zeldaring

Banned
It's not just about cutscenes, it's about all continuous interruption of gameplay like forced walk + talk. I want full control over my character at all times. Just let me play the game. But that's just me.
I feel the same way about TOTK. Let me play the game instead they want me to collect bloom seeds, food, fuse shit, and cook the majority of the game, then you have champions that all over the screen that control like shit. Then you have each ancestor telling the same story over and over.

I will say that in terms of exploration, and the way the mission give you hints with out telling where to go is sublime.

mckmas8808

All I can really control is my own actions and I'll just try harder to not take the bait. All that can be done really.

Good point. I'm trying to find out if it's bait that they are putting out there or if they honestly believe the new lying narrative. I'm still not sure, but there are many video game media talking heads that I listen to have pushed that same narrative though and it's crazy.

Oof85

AAA narrative-driven action-adventure games are arguably the most difficult, expensive, and technically complex games to make.

Xbox Game Studios are not there yet.
No they're not.

A game like BG3, where player expression has to be constantly considered is much more difficult to create than a linear narrative action adventure.

Same thing with TOTK or something along those lines.

The more player creativity you allow, the more chances for the game systems to grind together and break the game for the players.

Like I seriously can't believe you even said this.

Yup it's tiring reading the thread. The whole cinematic crap seems to have come around from warriors to lump any Sony exclusives into all one category and say they suck and prefer gameplay.
It's the most clown take ever considering that from the entirety of last gen and 3 years of this gen the competition they love (Xbox) couldn't get any game out that door.

Even now people doubling down on Sony being a one trick pony, whole Xbox have this rich diverse line up lol.

Come on who you trying to kid. All the games you proclaim to want all have cutscenes on them, especially the RPGs.

All these cinematic 3rs person games.yoy speaks of is just some dumb term to lump Sony exclusives together. You also said Xbox excels in FPS and rpgs, which games are these exactly? You mean unreleased games?

Crayon

- GTA5
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- RE4 Remake
- Devil May Cry 5
- The Witcher 3
- All Tomb Raider games
- All Gears of War games
- All Dead Space games

This is all you need to know. Somehow sony's games are supposed to be completely different than any other modern adventure games. This was yet another hyper focused talking point by ms fandom. I don't take to these games all the time myself, but the noise machine has been going on for a long time and it's obnoxious. I think it might have started with last of us, where the line was that you should skip the game and watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Top Bottom