• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony and Microsoft create a joint next gen console?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Not sure why Sony would do this, would cut into thier software revenue a lot.

But let's play devils advocate, some reasons why they might want to:

1: Joint costs on every console sold at a loss
2: Pretty much guaranteed victory over any other platform, as together they would by far have the most coveted games
3: A revenue share in every peice of ms software sold going forward on console (if pc and console only)

Just generally less risk. I mean as much as people like to say ms is no threat to Sony, long term they could be if they keep pumping cash into xbox for the next 25 years.
By accepting this joint venture, the risk disappears.

But the chance of any of this happening is at like 0.001%. Ms would more likely partner with Nintendo as an exclusive software provider for a better cut, or apple manufacturing a new console based on 4 fused m6 chips.

Sorcerer

Pretty sure Sony is just biding their time till Xbox goes away...
The Sony execs must high 5 each other every three months with the constant Microsoft misteps.

Wasn't there an email where Phil stated he wanted to destroy PlayStation? Karma is a bitch.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

The whole point of having your own console and ecosystem is so that you get 100% of the profit + a 30% rip on all 3rd party content. It makes no sense to do a joint venture in that regard, especially for Sony who's the market leader and already getting XBox games on their console.

Last edited:
I know all corporations suck but Microsoft in particular is like the satan of corporations. You work with them and you end up losing your soul.

Robb

Gold Member
Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

Working with MS is a death sentence.

splattered

I known things don't and won't work thar way but it would be really cool I'd there was only a single bad ass even if expensive console that played almost everything. I still just can't bring myself to bother with playing on pc.

Duchess

As I understand it, the reason the Xbox exists is because Microsoft wanted Sony to use Windows (and Direct X) in the PS2, and also demanded a hefty chunk of royalties from the sales of the consoles themselves, as well as the games.

Sony said no, so MS created Xbox.

midnightAI

Next gen the platform to have is PC. Although you can say that already. But next gen I see Sony releasing games day one on pc.
Other than benefitting PC owners, why would Sony do that?

(the amount of port begging from PC owners is insane, I thought Sony made games that you weren't interested in? (I'm talking PC owners in general, not you individually))

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
As I understand it, the reason the Xbox exists is because Microsoft wanted Sony to use Windows (and Direct X) in the PS2, and also demanded a hefty chunk of royalties from the sales of the consoles themselves, as well as the games.

Sony said no, so MS created Xbox.

Wasn't that Sega, not Sony?

PS5 is selling better than the PS4…. Consoles are the best deal in gaming by far!!
The device segment is way down overall after peaking in the PSWii60 generation. PS is treading water, Xbox is dying rapidly, and Switch isn't a console but a handheld with a HDMI out option.

There isn't enough money to go around for the average consumer to own multiple high-end electronic devices, not en masse. Plus consoles are having their lunch eaten on both ends: young gamers are opting for more cost-effective options (phones, Switch, and soon more mobile-centric options ala Steam Deck, ASUS Rog, etc.), while the older market is migrating to DIY PC builds that offer greater versatility (and overlap with other computational needs). PS may be getting more of the pie to itself, but there is less pie for the taking.

Cloud solves too many business problems - the issues of physical media, used game sales, hardware investment risks, etc. - that it will never be dismissed. There are limitations to the role the cloud can play, but it doesn't have to do everything: part of your computational needs can be done remotely and the other part locally. MS attempted to claim as much during the Xbox One launch, and to a degree they were correct, but they overmarketed the impact (plus it fueled consumers wariness regarding always-on connections). But they also were missing the advent of AI, which will have a major impact on gaming performance (DLSS is a prime example, but there are a number of initiatives to have native rendering cut in half - think run a game at 30 fps - and have AI generate the interstitial frames in-between to achieve 60 fps performance).

GymWolf

Gold Member
Without competition they would make an even cheaper, shittier console at 400 dollars.

But it would be funny to see the fanboys fighting even for a join effort :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

phant0m

Wasn't that Sega, not Sony?

Sony just kicked MS's ass. They don't need MS.

The Dreamcast definitely had a Windows CE mode, but I did read that MS approached Sony to essentially make Windows the OS for the PS2.

IMO MS + Sega is the only play remaining for a partnership really. Run it back like 2002 and put JSRF, Crazy Taxi and Panzer Dragoon on Dreambox. Maybe do Sonic exclusivity.

simpatico

Sony does the hardware, Xbox does the software. It's the only way they'll be able to fend off Microsoft Windo- wait a gosh damn second here.

Shifty1897

Sony just kicked MS's ass. They don't need MS.
Exactly. Microsoft's first party games are coming over to PlayStation, especially after Sea of Thieves sold so well. Sony gets a 30% cut for every copy sold on PlayStation and they don't have to do anything except approve the application and host it on PSN.

Roxkis_ii

What no one realizes, is that they already can! Microsoft just has to release some Xbox themed ps5 face plates. Ps5 already got the xbox the games. Xbros would feel right at home.

creepy-smile.gif

Top Bottom