• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony re-invest in Japanese centric games again?

Sony hasn't really invested or put any effort into making JRPGs or japanese market focused games since like White knight chronicles. which was a pathetic attempt really. we'd have to go back to the PSP to see their last attemps which sold well

but pretty much since last gen Sony moved the Sony interactive focus to north america and europe and japan has been pretty much getting nothing. studio japan is downsized now and has like 1 or 2 small teams now. their collaborations for 2nd party exclusives is pretty much dead. stuff like dark cloud etc.

am not sure why?. KH3 just sold 870k units in Japan in one week which is insane. there is still a market for console games in Japan but doesn't seem like Sony gives two shits about its homeland when it comes to console gaming. gotta add some more fate/order gacha games to the digital fronts eh.

I think they should try to get one or two good sized studios in japan to strengthen their japanese market over there but for us too in the west because quite frank that flavor is pretty lost.

like GoW is pretty big in north america. but where's japan's god of war level game? there hasn't been one for like a decade and a half.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

A large problem with that is management changes. Sony Interactive Entertainment is now based in California, so the focus will obviously be more on western produced content. That, and SIE is already forcing their new content guidelines on all branches of the company, including Japan. On top of that, the PS4 really hasn't been doing that well in Japan, who's tastes have shifted to more mobile platforms like the Switch or Smartphones.

A large problem with that is management changes. Sony Interactive Entertainment is now based in California, so the focus will obviously be more on western produced content. That, and SIE is already forcing their new content guidelines on all branches of the company, including Japan. On top of that, the PS4 really hasn't been doing that well in Japan, who's tastes have shifted to more mobile platforms like the Switch or Smartphones.

ps4 hasn't been doing well in japan because there are no games for the japanese audience. there are literally 0 exclusives coming out of Sony that draws japanese audience. 0.

third parties can only do so much and you can find a lot of those on switch and PC and phones sometimes.

hell I give credit for japanese people for even buying that many PS4s. Imagine if PS4 came out.we got literally nothing. 0. just JRPGs. no god of war. no uncharted, no last of us, nothing. just a few JRPGs.

would it sell that many? hell no.

Last edited:

GrayFoxRJ

Banned
They would need to spend a similar amount of money on dev and marketing of a A game like Detroit to maybe, WHO knows maybe, hit 1mi units sold. See for yourself, even Yakuza and other Japanese centric games do not sell the same amount as Horizon Zero Dawn. Not saying they are not great, but think like Sony

If you can get the same time, same brain/labor Force to invest their time and your money in something with world-wide appeal instead of a game region focused like Gravity Rush, you likely wouldn't opt for a diverse lineup, but all for cost/benefit.

A new Wild Arms would be awesome, but they don't feel adequate to invest in it.

Last edited:
ps4 hasn't been doing well in japan because there are no games for the japanese audience. there are literally 0 exclusives coming out of Sony that draws japanese audience. 0.

third parties can only do so much and you can find a lot of those on switch and PC and phones sometimes.

hell I give credit for japanese people for even buying that many PS4s. Imagine if PS4 came out.we got literally nothing. 0. just JRPGs. no god of war. no uncharted, no last of us, nothing. just a few JRPGs.

PS4 hasn't been doing well in Japan because consoles are dead in Japan.

If Sony wanted to invest in JP-centric content, they would do well to make mobile games.

Jubenhimer

You think Sony gives a shit though? Japan is no longer a priority at the company, and PlayStation has been veering into a more and more western focus since the second half of the PS3. Japanese developers will still support the PS4 anyway because of its install base and western market dominance.

If Sony wanted to invest in JP-centric content, they would do well to make mobile games.

chicken or egg problem isn't it?

Is PS4 still sold a decent amount in Japan. selling a little more than PS3 even tho PS3 had slightly better Japanese games support from Sony.

that means. your argument is flawed. but the fact is. the PS4 didn't sustain performane in Japan because there is literally nothing to look forward to for them

read my entire comment before spouting stuff again. because I saw your replay by the time I refreshed.

You think Sony gives a shit though? Japan is no longer a priority at the company, and PlayStation has been veering into a more and more western focus since the second half of the PS3. Japanese developers will still support the PS4 anyway because of its install base and western market dominance.

yeah I don't know if they do. doesn't seem like it which is unfortunate. in past history what set playstation apart from xbox was the strong japanese game culture that was tied to it. with developers like Konami dying and others going full multiplat like square enix. doesn't seem like they have that trump card anymore do they.

I think Sony is doing a lot of things that will come back and bite them in the ass but thats just me.

Last edited:

CatCouch

I really wish Sony would give us some JRPG's. I think that is wishful thinking for now, though. Sony has steadily moved away from Japan for a while now. They dropped the Vita almost as soon as it launched, they don't promote Japanese games like Gravity Rush much. Censoring Japanese games worldwide is about as big of a sign one can get that Japan is not even on their radar anymore. Weird they would take such a strong stance against Japanese games. Not only not investing in them but actively discouraging them if they contain sexy art.

Hopefully Sony will recognize that Japanese games are good for a healthy, diverse game selection. Microsoft seems to realize that rejecting Japan only hurts you. Maybe stronger competition from Nintendo and Microsoft next gen will get Sony to rethink it's western only approach. Very few Sony gmes appeal to me these days.

I really wish Sony would give us some JRPG's. I think that is wishful thinking for now, though. Sony has steadily moved away from Japan for a while now. They dropped the Vita almost as soon as it launched, they don't promote Japanese games like Gravity Rush much. Censoring Japanese games worldwide is about as big of a sign one can get that Japan is not even on their radar anymore. Weird they would take such a strong stance against Japanese games. Not only not investing in them but actively discouraging them if they contain sexy art.

Hopefully Sony will recognize that Japanese games are good for a healthy, diverse game selection. Microsoft seems to realize that rejecting Japan only hurts you. Maybe stronger competition from Nintendo and Microsoft next gen will get Sony to rethink it's western only approach. Very few Sony gmes appeal to me these days.

very few sony games appeal to me these days either. to the point where I sold my PS4 few months ago and said will just pick up a ps5. the amount of games that I owned for ps2 ps3 compared to ps4 is just astounding.

No. Please no mobile games. I rather even have low budget console games over Sony making mobile games. I wish they would invest more JP-centric games because I feel that is what put them in the map on the first place. I miss big budget Japanese games. Maybe Death Stranding will turn things around.

Last edited:

cdthree

If Nintendo isn't going to do anything with their western 1st party studios, as far as building them into AAAA I would rather it be Nintendo. Nintendo is the last true Japanese console maker left in the industry. It's kind of shameful that a company like Nintendo doesn't take the reins of the surviving Japanese console game makers and be the vanguard for their industry. They have more than enough money and clout in Japan to ensure that all the big stuff hits their machines first.

It would be a compelling reason for me to pick up a Nintendo machine if I knew that all the best games from Japan, Inc were on their machines. That was one of the nice things of the 3ds, IMHO. Hopefully if the Switch go turns out to be a real thing, that might happen.

Just in general though, have some nerve and act like the 800 pound gorilla you are in videogames Nintendo. Be the leader Japan needs for once Nintendo!

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yeah I think they should

Sony Japan recent games on PS4 are Bloodborne and The Last Guardian and...that's it for now...

They should invest more..

At least give us Legend of Dragoon remake

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah I think they should

Sony Japan recent games on PS4 are Bloodborne and The Last Guardian and...that's it for now...

Don't forget the GOAT... Knack 1 & 2.

Gravity Rush Remastered, Gravity Rush 2, AstroBot, Déraciné, Everybody's Golf, The Tomorrow Children, etc..

But I get what you are saying. My gut tells me they're on PS5 development.

Yeah I think they should

those aren't japanese games tho. these are games developed in japan. both of these games have as much western emphasis as japanese

infact. bloodborne is just a western game.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
those aren't japanese games tho. these are games developed in japan. both of these games have as much western emphasis as japanese

You kind of have close mind about what Japanese games are. Games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, MGS, Monster Hunter and ICO/SotC are very Japanese games. You can immediately tell when western developers work on them like Silent Hill Homecoming and Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Last edited:

Bloodborne certainly doesn’t play like any Western game I’ve ever played and even the art style looked more stylized and unique then games similar games to it. Japanese games comes in all shapes and sizes. They have games that are cute and cartoony to dark, oppressive and morbid. Just because the style may be influenced by the West, doesn’t make it any less Japanese developed because it deviates from popular anime or over the top styles.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm skeptical they'll be able to with the company's main decision makers being American at the moment. If SCEI had complete autonomy from its US counterpart, sure, but it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.

Ten_Fold

very few sony games appeal to me these days either. to the point where I sold my PS4 few months ago and said will just pick up a ps5. the amount of games that I owned for ps2 ps3 compared to ps4 is just astounding.
Same the only exclusive I was interested in was bloodborne and Gravity Rush 2, I haven’t enjoyed much of what Sony offers they have really cool looking games though. I have more faith in Microsoft making jrpgs over Sony at this point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same the only exclusive I was interested in was bloodborne and Gravity Rush 2, I haven’t enjoyed much of what Sony offers they have really cool looking games though. I have more faith in Microsoft making jrpgs over Sony at this point.
How so? Xbox still doesn't get Jrpgs and other Japanese games like Persona 5, DQXI, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza series, Fist of the North Star, Left Alive, Catherine Full Body.

Tell me, what are chances these games would come on Xbox?

Grandblue Fantasy: Relink
Granblue-Fantasy-Project-ReLink-122317-2.jpg

Project-Re-Fantasy-01512.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sony is such ignorant that they have their best Studio Ever that is JAPAN STUDIO.

Thing that the studio has a lot of talent. and honestly they should support Japan Studio more than Naughty Dog

But Sony's ignorance has no limits, instead of giving support to that great study, or create IPs that only Japan Studio knows how to do with excellence, what does Sony do? It will support moderate projects or later failures such as No mans Sky or the pathetic Days Gone

Last edited:
Sony is such ignorant that they have their best Studio Ever that is JAPAN STUDIO.

Thing that that study has a lot of talent. and honestly they should support Japan Studio more than Naughty Dog

But Sony's ignorance has no limits, instead of giving support to that great study, or create IPs that only Japan Studio knows how to do with excellence, what does Sony do? It will support moderate projects or later failures such as No mans Sky or the pathetic Days Gone

I really like how they support garbage like destiny. thats not even an exclusive.

"hey guys we have halo too". just make your own.

Last edited:

nikolino840

How so? Xbox still doesn't get Jrpgs and other Japanese games like Persona 5, DQXI, Ni no Kuni 2, Yakuza series, Fist of the North Star, Left Alive, Catherine Full Body.

Hope dosn't come :D i dont like Japan fantasy/anime style...much Better western fantasy style ..
Is for that i'm not interested in sony consoles...but this Is Just a mine thing ...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

I think Metroid and SMT5 will come out before Project Re Fantasy.

petran79

Banned

Yet strangely some of the above games are released on Windows. They probably fear that many Xbox players will be discriminated as weebs vs the manly dudebro games.

Blood Borne

Demand and Supply is king. If there’s a huge interest in those sort of games, then Sony and/or publishers will make those games. So far, if I’m not mistaken, interest in Japanese centric games are waning according to sales data.

FStubbs

Sony still gets the most third party Japanese exclusives right? I don't think they care because they know any AAA Japanese game has to come to Playstation.

Lots of developers like NISA would close up shop before leaving Sony.

EDMIX

This.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think they should invest in their own studios (like Japan Studios) and return to their commitment to indie devs. Nintendo is yanking a lot of games out of Playstation's hands simply by being more open-armed toward these devs. Lots of Japanese devs have already shifted their development focus over to mobile and I'm not usually interested in upconverted mobile games ported over to consoles.

mejin

There is also Playstation China Project, some interesting games there.

I hope for more games coming from Studios Japan, of course.

Shin

Banned
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi it's all about the benjamins, gore+blood+horror-ish is what's selling ATM.
It almost feels like the industry is consuming itself as every game how different they try and paint it is part of the same genre.
Maybe it's me but when I see colorful games like Mario or Vanillaware stuff it makes me happy and reminds me of old days, more recent games just gives this depressing feeling.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi it's all about the benjamins, gore+blood+horror-ish is what's selling ATM.
It almost feels like the industry is consuming itself as every game how different they try and paint it is part of the same genre.
Maybe it's me but when I see colorful games like Mario or Vanillaware stuff it makes me happy and reminds me of old days, more recent games just gives this depressing feeling.
You're looking in the wrong places, friend. PS4 is loaded with excellent games, but I've mostly focused on smaller releases/collections since I know the big AAA stuff will always be available for purchase. This past year PS4 got a lot of shmups (for instance) like Ketsui Deathtiny, Fast Strikers, Psyvariar Delta, Game Tengoku, etc etc

A lot of the AAA stuff looks all the same, I do agree. The AAA industry is eating itself, I also agree on that point. That's why I usually wait and see a few months/years for the biggest titles.

Senhua

Sony hasn't really invested or put any effort into making JRPGs or japanese market focused games since like White knight chronicles.

Actually they already do it though not playstation division. Revenue from Fate / Grand Order from Japan vs Word wide version almost same. So until some TV gaming console games outside of DQ & Monster Hunter (Classic one not World) franchise & Nintendo first party can achieve that kind of domestic sales percentage, I don't see that will happen.
I think it's too late as majority of casual & hardcore gamers already gone to mobile, maybe they can try with Love live, Idol M@ster and Kancolle though I doubt it can reach the same height as the mobage one. Even fate failed at consoles too.

Last edited:

Fbh

Would be awesome. They don't even have to spend the money on super high end AAA stuff.
Funding and developing games on the same tier as Yakuza or Nier Automata or Octopath would be awesome.

But I doubt they will. Specially now that decision making has been shifted to the west

I might be wrong but I remember reading that a big problem is that home consoles in general are struggling in Japan and bot Handheld and mobile just fit better with their average lifestyle.
I also think you are underestimating third parties. If no western console had western exclusives I bet people would still buy them to play COD and Fifa and Battlefield and The Witcher and GTA, etc.

If anything I think third parties are probably why Sony isn't investing much in Japan since it's still the default home console there.
Games like Dragon Quest XI, Yakuza, Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Nioh and for a long time Nier, etc are mostly on PC too but exclusive to Ps4 as far as consoles go

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Man Grandblue always looks gorgeous every time I see it. I dig the art direction.

ROMhack

I think we have a questionable tendency to put Japanese games on a pedestal but I do concur there's a lack of investment by Sony and that it sucks.

They don't seem interested in investing in the foundations of the Japanese game industry right now. By contrast, the West has become reliant on the prodigious talents of indie developers, who I assume are working their way up the ladder.

Japan was once famous for developing non-programming people like Suda51 and Kojima, but where does the next generation of those guys come from? Sony simply don't seem bothered about answering that question. They won't be funding the next Team Ico whilst their open-world story-driven Hollywood blockbusters are raking in the cash.

It's like Sony are fulfilling their dream of becoming Microsoft. Thankfully Nintendo has been picking up some of the slack.

Last edited:
Would be awesome. They don't even have to spend the money on super high end AAA stuff.
Funding and developing games on the same tier as Yakuza or Nier Automata or Octopath would be awesome.

But I doubt they will. Specially now that decision making has been shifted to the west

I might be wrong but I remember reading that a big problem is that home consoles in general are struggling in Japan and bot Handheld and mobile just fit better with their average lifestyle.
I also think you are underestimating third parties. If no western console had western exclusives I bet people would still buy them to play COD and Fifa and Battlefield and The Witcher and GTA, etc.

If anything I think third parties are probably why Sony isn't investing much in Japan since it's still the default home console there.
Games like Dragon Quest XI, Yakuza, Ni No Kuni 2, Persona 5, Nioh and for a long time Nier, etc are mostly on PC too but exclusive to Ps4 as far as consoles go

I mean kingdom hearts already sold over 1m in japan. thats huge for most games. sony hasn't leveraged any of their japanese focused IPs from PS1 or PS2 eras. might be too late now

Ten_Fold

I was speaking more or so last gen which had blue dragon, lost odyssey, magna carta 2, star ocean,(year early) and tales. This gen I don’t think they have anything, but last gen they did a really good job much better in Sony in that regard. Now this gen Sony hasn’t done much but they have done a pretty solid job, but nothing they have is interesting to me.

WaterAstro

They invested in Kojima, and Astrobot is one of the highest rated games of the year. I see no reason to criticize them.

It's a fact that Nintendo owns Japan, and no matter what is done, Sony can't compete with Japan's fanaticism with Nintendo's franchises.

They invested in Kojima, and Astrobot is one of the highest rated games of the year. I see no reason to criticize them.

It's a fact that Nintendo owns Japan, and no matter what is done, Sony can't compete with Japan's fanaticism with Nintendo's franchises.
This isn't really true at all and hasn't been since the advent of mobile gaming.

What owns Japan is mobile gaming. Period.

chicken or egg problem isn't it?

Is PS4 still sold a decent amount in Japan. selling a little more than PS3 even tho PS3 had slightly better Japanese games support from Sony.

that means. your argument is flawed. but the fact is. the PS4 didn't sustain performane in Japan because there is literally nothing to look forward to for them

read my entire comment before spouting stuff again. because I saw your replay by the time I refreshed.

It took Sony 19 months from it's official release (February 22nd, 2014) & Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain just for Japanese gamers to start buying more PS4's over PS3's & to start buying more PS4 versions of games over PS3 versions of games there.

Ever since Switch has been out, it's been outpacing PS4 in the same timeframe over in Japan & is now catching up to the PS4 in LTD. Media Create proves it.

Last edited:

Pallas

I wouldn’t say they aren’t investing in Japanese games just yet, they may be developing projects for next gen.

This isn't really true at all and hasn't been since the advent of mobile gaming.

What owns Japan is mobile gaming. Period.

Which is probably one of the main reasons Nintendo developed the Switch the way the that they did.

Sygma

Thing that the studio has a lot of talent. and honestly they should support Japan Studio more than Naughty Dog

the fuck you're saying lol. Japan Studio just made the best VR game on the platform. Sony isn't bypassing japanese games at all, its still quite a focus for them. Persona V reloaded, Left Alive, Catherine Full Body, new Vanillaware game, Project Granblue, Death Stranding, MHW expansion, DMC 5, Sekiro .. I'm sure im forgetting some, but this thread is quite weird

Its like Ace Combat 7, RE 2 and KH 3 didn't happen in 2019

Last edited:

ROMhack

the fuck you're saying lol. Japan Studio just made the best VR game on the platform. Sony isn't bypassing japanese games at all, its still quite a focus for them. Persona V reloaded, Left Alive, Catherine Full Body, new Vanillaware game, Project Granblue, Death Stranding, MHW expansion, DMC 5, Sekiro .. I'm sure im forgetting some, but this thread is quite weird

Its like Ace Combat 7, RE 2 and KH 3 didn't happen in 2019

Ugh? none of these games were/are going to be published by Sony, with the exception of Astrobot.

This list shows how things have slowed down on SIE Japan Studio's front compared to the PS2/PS3 eras.

Last edited:

There is no bigger ignorance than disregarding the BEST PLATFORMER SINCE MARIO 64, by Japan Studio. Its name is Astro Bot. Let's first get our facts straight.

Sony is supporting true passion projects like TLG, Dreams and Astro Bot.

On top of this, Sony has opened a talent attraction stuff in China and more games are coming from there. Exclusive ones. They also have Babylon's Fall (by platinum) and 2 great games with Cygames in the pipeline. Everybody's golf is coming very soon to PSVR, too.

Claiming that they are not supporting japanese stuff or even more delusional, that XBOX will get more in that department is flatout ridiculous.

P.D. Now I am learning Kojima is american, LOL. Seriously, guys.

Wonko_C

This is not totally related but I miss the days when a game from pretty much any genre could do well critically and commercially, be it racing, shmup, beat em up, turn based rpg, action rpg, flight combat, platforming, strategy rpgs, rhythm, arcade sports, etc.

Nowadays looks like people only want to play cinematic open world games and multiplayer shooters, they don't want to go out of their comfort zone and try other kinds of games. They just stick to what they already know they like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom