• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should we expect 30+ hour games to look like UE5 Demo? One dev says probably not.

geordiemp

This is not true. None of this is true. Stop constantly spreading misinformation. My goodness....

No its not go find out yourself. The 5 years was 3,4 or 5 from Tim in an interview, you can find the otherstuff yourself.

UE4 pen world, list them, days gone and er....then go look days gone dev talks tuff.

Oh there is Turok, that ran well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
With SSD they don't need to repeat some data many times as they did with HDD, and now post launch patches will be smaller, and they won't need normals, LoD, etc, and now they use a better compression. A 50GB of the current gen game but made for PS5 would take way less space of HDD, probably even like way less than the half. In addition to this, I'm pretty sure they'll have some smart way to optimize SSD data usage as mentioned by Cerny I think it was at Wired, where you only install the part you'll use (let's say core of the game + episode 3 of the single player mode that you are playing, and maybe episode 4 and once it's completed episode 3 is deleted until you want to play it again).

They won't need 200GB, because with 100GB they will be able to store there way more than they did in 100GB in the last gen, and because the PS5 blurays will be 100GB. And that will be more than enough for most games.
That's true, but we are not talking about a 90% reduction. You are saying 50%, and even that seems a lot to me. I think there was an image from the Spiderman game, which resulted in 20% less size purely for having no duplicates. Other compression algorithms will indeed help too. Good thing is that we'll still have games of 100GB in size, but they'll be much more beautiful and rich due to all the assets.

Allandor

The install size of Bo4 on ps4 pro (UK) is 145.2 GB.

Ps5 blu rays will be 100 GB, so SOME might ship on 2 disks or download.

We will LIKELY see 200 GB game size, 3 Ps5 games per SSD, rest on your hard drive back up (I will get an 8 TB HD I think as backog back up)
And that will be the new Loadtimes ;)
To copy games from the HDD to the SSD ... I really hope we get large and "cheap" SSDs soon with such speeds.
The 8TB Harddrive on my console is more than have full. Games are really big these days. Even so really small 2D sprite indies are 500MB+ ... those that look like could run on a SNES.

Last edited:

geordiemp

And that will be the new Loadtimes ;)
To copy games from the HDD to the SSD ... I really hope we get large and "cheap" SSDs soon with such speeds.

True, HZD is 46 GB, I would expect HZ2 to be 100 or 200 GB (1 or 2 disks). Thats still 2 to 4 x asset quality, exciting times.

LordKasual

Banned
I think it's possible with some cleverly designed, ultra high-quality assets that are simply created with repurposing in mind.

Doom Eternal is a great example of this.

Even the highlight of the UE5 demo (the statue room) was ultimately just a bunch of one high-quality asset copy-pasted a bunch of times.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh my. You cannot possibly be serious.

I am, but you are free to show as evidence the plethora of crazy posts and threads especially about how PS5 has a secret TFLOPS multiplier stashed somewhere or other times when X fans yelling about SonyGAF or other conspiracies actually were there... all the meanwhile entering PS5 or Sony exclusive games threads and expressing tons of “concern”.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Whoah whoah whoah whoah hold the fuck up are you telling me a gaming company put out a tech demo that might not be representative of a final product

for marketing purposes?

This game creator didn't say that at all. He said the opposite. He said games "WILL" Look like the demo actually.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did anyone read to the end...?

Do posters realise that cliff face in UE5 demo was made with 6 rocks. Its possible to repurpose assets and save lots of space.

Yes we will get high quality assests next gen, dont worry....

Some devs have already given the solution and how its done, there is a video doing the rounds, look it up yourself, time for supper.

NOBODY cares about the facts. Nobody even read to the end it seems. It's sad man.

geordiemp

NOBODY cares about the facts. Nobody even read to the end it seems. It's sad man.

Its not even that hard. God war 45 GB, add Kraken compression, remove dupes, multiple IQ of assets by 3 or 4 x to fit 1 or 2 blu ray disks , and you still good to go.

Wionder if we will see many 2 disk games, takes me back.....

I don't believe that at all... graphics fidelity has nothing to do with how long games are to completion. It's about game design not graphics. And it's all about how much visual variety you want in your game. If you create a game as huge as Mass Effect with different planets to visit you can't expect every planets to be different and sport this level of graphics unless the game takes forever to create and weights 300+GB. People boast about "no duplicates" but don't expect devs to no reuse assets with different textures. Many games will have this graphical fidelity and then some new tricks not seen in this demo.

Last edited:

Redlight

...but I have yet to see the same with PS5 trying to downplay the advantage XSX has...

...you are free to show as evidence the plethora of crazy posts...

I think expecting me to wade through thousands of posts to prove a point that is bleedingly obvious to anyone with eyeballs is a tad disingenuous. However, a quick five-minute look produced the gems below. I've left out the user info because I'm not really calling out these individuals (everyone is entitled to an opinion) just trying to give you some of the flavour that you seem to have missed.

The idea the hordes of MS fans are making unreasonable assumptions but Sony fans are utterly blameless is demonstrably untrue.

We both know that there are hundreds of other examples that you somehow haven't seen. Maybe you have the posters on 'ignore'? You should go to the 'next gen' thread if you remain unconvinced, there's plenty more where these came from. :)

"PS5 is overpowered. You've heard it first on NeoGAF, folks. Now let's wait for news outlets to catch up with this thread."

"Check the Medium trailer. It will be possible but with less fidelity than PS5. How much, we don't know yet. I expect quite a lot."

"I”m speculating here, but XsX cpu will be taxed where PS5 will be free, assets will be compromised, sound."

"This statement leaves Microsoft and the Series X in a really bad position. Just imagine Phil Spencer reading this."

"Anyway, simple answer is Xsex will be limited to 10gb vram..." "Presumably MS took this approach to save money/reduce cost."

"Nope, their solution is barely better than current gen"

"UE5 demo already looks better than anything that will be possible on XSX"

"Ps5 games will look better, deal with it."

"This is huge. He's just told the entire industry that Sony left them behind in a puddle of tears. PC hardware will catch up soon but Xbox... Please understand why our games smell of last gen. Please be excited for a mid-gen refresh in 3 years. Please use the cloud in the meanwhile."

"A mid-gen refresh will not fix this"

Top Bottom