• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shout out to current GameTrailers crew: the best I've ever felt about gaming media

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanTSC

I think I'll answer one post with another here. And in response to the latter- not really, but what would be the point of watching the announcements and then watching them again with commentary? Because there's no way you could hear absolutely everything over all of that shouting and screaming, which defeats the point of watching them in the first place.

I heard everything perfectly fine for most of it. Though I probably have a different setup than most people. I had GT's commentary stream going on a PC monitor on my PC speakers and E3 conferences playing on my TV with my 5.1 set. Their E3 commentary added to the whole experience and I was right there with them screaming and jumping up and shouting at the same announcements, because I give that much of a shit about those games too. So hey, I was making just as much noise.

I was all:

mfmgzpqin4i0svszlx0b.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I heard everything perfectly fine for most of it. Though I probably have a different setup than most people. I had GT's commentary stream going on a PC monitor on my PC speakers and E3 conferences playing on my TV with my 5.1 set. Their E3 commentary added to the whole experience and I was right there with them screaming and jumping out and shouting at the same announcements, because I give that much of a shit about those games too. So hey, I was making just as much noise.
Must be nice

RedAssedApe

Banned
Really like the GT staff but I have to say I'm quite disappointed on how positive they are on everything PS4 related and not really positive, at most they are neutral and factually correct, about Xbox One.

They were hitting really hard at MS after the initial Xbox One reveal but we came a long way from there and, having both systems myself, I think MS's E3 showing was way better than Sony (even if it's just because almost all games are for this year) and they even didn't care to get some facts straight about BC or MS's releases.

Besides that, their coverage of games with let's plays and reviews plus Huber Hype, Mandatory Update, Bosman Show and GT Time are always on my schedule of shows to watch.

I do miss Pach Attack tho..

there are some who though sony won and others ms. gametrailers is free to make their own judgement about what they saw and what resonated with them. that's literally what the basis of most of their content is...opinions. i don't really get the disappointment. maybe you should have watched giant bomb instead where they were critical about everything :p

frankly huber hype was refreshing to see. especially compared to how jaded some hardcore gamers can be these days.

Decider

I heard everything perfectly fine for most of it. Though I probably have a different setup than most people. I had GT's commentary stream going on a PC monitor on my PC speakers and E3 conferences playing on my TV with my 5.1 set. Their E3 commentary added to the whole experience and I was right there with them screaming and jumping up and shouting at the same announcements, because I give that much of a shit about those games too. So hey, I was making just as much noise.
Ha, so you had the best of both worlds then. I'd just get frustrated if something as big as Shenmue 3 came up and I was struggling to hear the details through screaming. But fair enough.

there are some who though sony won and others ms. gametrailers is free to make their own judgement about what they saw and what resonated with them. that's literally what the basis of most of their content is...opinions. i don't really get the disappointment. maybe you should have watched giant bomb instead where they were critical about everything :p

frankly huber hype was refreshing to see. especially compared to how jaded some hardcore gamers can be these days.

Nothing wrong with opinions =)

But once mentioning something, as a media outlet, they should be careful to be factually correct (at least) and I'd HOPE they'd be (to some extent) neutral and platform agnostic.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nothing wrong with opinions =)

But once mentioning something, as a media outlet, they should be careful to be factually correct (at least) and I'd HOPE they'd be (to some extent) neutral and platform agnostic.

you can bonk kyle for it in gt live comments and get on their corrections segment :)

SeanTSC

Ha, so you had the best of both worlds then. I'd just get frustrated if something as big as Shenmue 3 came up and I was struggling to hear the details through screaming. But fair enough.

Yep, it was extremely easy to do too. I just loaded the E3 youtube channel on PS4 and GT Twitch on my PC and was good to go. Though I barely heard any of the Shenmue 3 details the first go myself, because I was jumping up and screaming and waving my hands around too.

dickroach

I like the site a lot. I miss pachter even though he was wrong about a lot of shit. I really miss Pop Fiction. I used to really look forward to that every month.
I would have never found GAF without GT actually.

Huh. I've never really watched GT at all. I've seen a few Bosman vids and always thought I should check out more but just haven't. I need to fire some of these vids up. The comparisons here the the 1UP heyday staff have my attention.

And I don't check in with Giant Bomb any more since I don't have 4-5 hour chunks of my life to devote to their content any more. What did they say about the Sony conference (as referenced in the OP)? How has the "tone changed?"

zelas

Does every gametrailers praise thread have to inevitably shit on Giant bomb? We get it, you don't like gb, and that's fine, how about just talking about how much you like gt?
These people are constantly looking for validation, it's never going to change. I understand that not every game is for everyone so I'll never understand hating someone for not feeling the same way I do.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I like the site a lot. I miss pachter even though he was wrong about a lot of shit. I really miss Pop Fiction. I used to really look forward to that every month.

surprised they haven't gotten pachter on for a Gt live segment. i guess the dude doesn't really have anything to pimp like some of the other guests that they've had so far heh

but come on now...brandon jones. you've had both your mom and wife on the show. lol

SeanTSC

Hah, yeah, me too. I came to GAF from watching their segment about it and them mentioning it now and then.

And I don't check in with Giant Bomb any more since I don't have 4-5 hour chunks of my life to devote to their content any more. What did they say about the Sony conference (as referenced in the OP)? How has the "tone changed?"

Many of them were surprised by the announcements but didn't jump out of their chair, thus equating them to old jaded assholes who don't enjoy videogames any more as opposed to people with different tastes and ways of expressing themselves.

I hope this GTvsGB thing can be buried soon.

Ban Puncher

Aren't these the corny goobers who clambered all over their chairs and desk whilst shrieking during the Shenmue 3 and FFVII announcements?

Not my bag but more power to you if you enjoy their stuff.

All you new fans make sure to tune into Kyle Bosman's hour long comedy special coming soon to twitch. Tweet about it. Tell all your friends.

It'll be interesting to watch that. Because I still enjoy his humor, but I've gotten tired of him only talking about video games a couple months ago.

Many of them were surprised by the announcements but didn't jump out of their chair, thus equating them to old jaded assholes who don't enjoy videogames any more as opposed to people with different tastes and ways of expressing themselves.

I hope this GTvsGB thing can be buried soon.

Ah, OK. That's ... kind of how they always were? Those guys were always way more excited about stuff like ham sandwiches and wrestling than most games.

Mesoian

I hope this GT/GB thing can be buried soon.

Right, paired with a lot of cold hard facts, like even though Shenmue and the Last Guardian will be made, they will likely be commercial flops as they are games that are targeted to an extremely small demographic, and they will likely not make a dent in how AAA development considers legacy IP's. GB is right, FF7r, TLG and S3 are hearts and minds plays that will probably do very little business wise (well, TLG and S3, FF7 is going to sell millions regardless of how it is or how little it reflects the original game).

I thought a few minutes over what comment to write alongside this.
"Trailers are on youtube these days", "their community seems to have liked the old crew better", "other sites don't suffer from let's play youtubers as much as GT" ??? Idk
TuJiqC.png

[if you think gametrailers is completely different from the other sites listed, just ignore this post, I know that it's highly unscientific and shouldn't be compared like this myself]

What's great about GT is that it feels like a fun environment to be in with what seems to be a group of people who enjoy
/hate
being around each other lol

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I agree it was a great moment but I wonder if it was a honest reaction, I sometimes got the feeling it was staged (to some degree)
If you watch GT you know it wasn't staged.

Huber started tearing up again when they watched the Shenmue Kickstarter video after the conference. Real tears.

Zukuu

Banned
Bosman alone makes me visit the site. I don't watch anyone else there, but I like Huber a lot from the Sony conference reactions.

taizuke

Agree with everything you said OP.

I used watch them back in the Invisible Walls days but stopped around GT was being sold as I felt their content started to waver.

But, this E3 brought them back to me in full force. I'm never missing their content again. Much love to them. Keep up the great work!

Alucrid

Banned
I thought a few minutes over what comment to write alongside this.
"Trailers are on youtube these days", "their community seems to have liked the old crew better", "other sites don't suffer from let's play youtubers as much as GT" ??? Idk
TuJiqC.png

[if you think gametrailers is completely different from the other sites listed, just ignore this post, I know that it's highly unscientific and shouldn't be compared like this myself]
Well it was only pretty recent that they were bought by defy and laid off a bunch of people so I imagine that has a lot to do with it. The site only seems to be getting into its stride now

J-Skee

"Huber, all it took for you were 3 notes & a petal."

Yeah, my favorite media outlet right now. Honestly, probably for the last few years. I always referred to their reviews before I knew anyone's name there. Jones' voice was just "that voice" to me. And when I learned that they had a podcast, I jumped right in. It used to be that it was just the reviews & countdowns that brought me to the site. Now it's the personalities for sure.

Can't wait for that Bosman standup!

Oh wow another Giant Bomb hate thread? They acted like professionals instead of ejaculating all over themselves like rabid fanboys when they saw The Last Shartian, Shitmue 3, and Final Shartasy 7 Remake.

KorrZ

It was really cool seeing the GT reactions to everything. Felt like a breath of fresh air honestly. Aside from NeoGAF, Giant Bomb has always been my go to gaming site but I couldn't even make it through their E3 streams this year. The constant cynicism and negativity about everything gets really depressing and hard to listen to after so long.

I stopped visiting GT after their terrible site redesign a few years back so I'll have to start checking in on them again.

Mesoian

Oh wow another Giant Bomb hate thread? They acted like professionals instead of ejaculating all over themselves like rabid fanboys when they saw The Last Shartian, Shitmue 3, and Final Shartasy 7 Remake.

The irony in this post is delicious.

It was really cool seeing the GT reactions to everything. Felt like a breath of fresh air honestly. Aside from NeoGAF, Giant Bomb has always been my go to gaming site but I couldn't even make it through their E3 streams this year. The constant cynicism and negativity about everything gets really depressing and hard to listen to after so long.

I stopped visiting GT after their terrible site redesign a few years back so I'll have to start checking in on them again.

I watch all of GT's stuff on youtube. It's just easier.

Loxley

I like the current GT roster as well, but...

Somehow I knew the OP was going to include salt about the Giant Bomb reactions.

...yep. The GT crew are a slightly younger bunch than the likes of Jeff, Brad, Alex and Vinnie. So they still have a bit of that wide-eyed enthusiasm for their favorite franchises. The GB crew are just at that point where trailers aren't enough to make them cream their shorts with excitement anymore.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Don't always wanna watch "professionals" talking about something that's supposed to be fun entertainment.

Vinc

Couldnt agree more. Ive been following the site since its beginnings and it is now the best it has ever been.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Brandon Jones IS GT to me, he's been voicing that site since before i can remember hearing about GT like 10 years ago. Time flies.

It also may be just me, but i love that they give time to many genres both east and west that many more outlets would not cover.

They arent as corporate and you can see that when they review certain relatively niche titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom