• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sells 1.2 million copies (platform breakdown, 200K retail), 180K amiibo

Always fantastic to get full disclosure like this.

I do especially love YachtClub's breakdown of this stuff, because its honestly quite informative and a good way of explaining numerous concepts that affect game development, for those who may not necessarily be so well versed in those things. Especially how much something like this supposedly costs, as a kickstarter backed game, versus the actual reality of its development.

In all though, very well earned on their part, and honestly its quite heartening a journey overall. Nintendo would be foolish not to foster this relationship further.

Galang

Banned
That's 20x the amount of amiibo I thought they would sell. I mean I know amiibo are popular obviously, but didn't expect shovel knight to sell so many. Kudos to them

Koren

I know you probably said this with a tongue-in-cheek tone but it would actually help both Nintendo and third parties to built a healthier relationship when it comes to developing games and secure some sort of exclusive content (even if it's small) for their platform.

Let's say.. new Rayman game with Rayman, Globox and Barbara amiibo with 2 exclusive levels or unlockables each.
Don't give them ideas... I'm already spending far, far, far too much on Amiibos.

Found stupid the idea of collecting all of them 18 month ago, and I have a complete set (and a bunch of dupes) now :/ I'm kinda glad there's no many games that interest me currently, it helps...

Fascinating stuff, and completely deserved. I love it when developers go into this kind of detail as it's the kind of thing to which we rarely have an insight.

Seik

Banned
I did my part by buying retail Wii U/3DS....AND the Amiibo.

Great, great game, deserves every of these sales.

Josh5890

Marketing and getting pushed by the big news websites (IGN) helps get 1.2 million sales. The game deserves the sales, no doubt about it.

ArjanN

An exact example of people having terrible taste, I guess.

Not really, given that Steam is easily the superior choice as long as you don't care about the DRM element.

Nintendo with nearly 50% of the split. Impressive. I'm aware it dropped earlier for Nintendo hardware, but given the comparative install base of say, the Wii U, compared to the PC and PS4 it's still a little surprising to see it skew so heavily.

The Amiibo probably helped.
also the lack of much else to play on the system

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn, I didn't expect a difference this big. I really wish more people would support DRM-free gaming when they are given the choice. Frankly, I don't even understand why they wouldn't. The 'convenience argument' doesn't even fly when you buy from the Humble Store, since it provides you with a Steam key in addition to an installer.

The game is DRM-free on Steam, too, although it likely wasn't a factor for the most part. Also, you're forgetting region-specific pricing: Steam supports almost 30 currencies versus Humble's three (USD, GBP and EUR) and territories that aren't the US, UK or Central/Western Europe have cheaper prices by default. Expecting people to pay a premium -- and a potentially significant one at that (the game is at least ~30% cheaper than USD$14.99 in a dozen regions) -- in support of their moral compass is unrealistic.

One of the best 2d games ever made. A little Mario 3, A little Megaman, A little Zelda, it's about as close to perfect as I can think of. Deserves every bit of its success

Terrell

Considering the retail versions were launched together and Wii U STILL outperformed the PS4, I think there's something to the idea of at least this specific type of indie game appealing heavily to Nintendo's demographic in ways that it doesn't on other consoles.

The Xbox One version is currently on sale and I feel like I should finally pull the trigger as I'm sure I would love this.

What's the music like? A killer soundtrack would really seal the deal for me...

also the lack of much else to play on the system

Again, that's not how it works. Why did TW101, and many of Nintendo's own franchises, bomb? I believe it's reasonable to think that consumers buy what they like. They don't buy for the sake of buying.

Considering the retail versions were launched together and Wii U STILL outperformed the PS4, I think there's something to the idea of at least this specific type of indie game appealing heavily to Nintendo's demographic in ways that it doesn't on other consoles.

Top Bottom