• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight sold more units out of the gate on Switch than any other platform

Do we have any sales figures? Curious to see what kind of numbers we are talking about.

I was looking at old ariticles, and found this...

Shovel Knight sales surpass dev's lifetime estimate in one month (Published 07/08/2014)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-surpass-devs-lifetime-estimate-in-one-month

New indie outfit Yacht Club Game has sold 180K copies of its debut effort Shovel Knight.

That article was posted in August. The game was release in June 2014. The game was only available on PC and Wii U simultaneously at the time of the article, and was not released on Wii U outside US at the time the article was published

So, now somone needs to go to Steam Spy, and find out the star for PC from Launch to August 2014

More digging...

From Yacht Club themsleves back in 2014

8q57899l.png

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

So if Switch broke the 38% (PC) of the games 75.000 total sales for the first week, it is north of 28,500 for the first week on Switch?

Then....

first_month_sales2-630x374.png

If Switch broke the PC number here, (37%) it did 66,600 in the first month?

Seik

Banned
This one ain't surprising and one of the few where the 'starved for games' argument can be validated because it came out when there was like 6 games on the E-Shop. :lol

I was and still am tempted to get it but I'm waiting for a physical release since I already have it on 3DS/Wii U.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Reminds me that I still haven't bought this game... might correct that later today ;)

Switch is a gold mine right now.

The companies supporting the console right now are building their own fanbase.

Others who are late to the party won't be as successful.

Capcom post if you are OK.

BDGAME

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-10-04-the-nintendo-switch-indie-gold-rush

There's actually a great amount of quotes in that article from a number of developers that I'm sure will be interesting to discuss but I thought this was an extremely interesting highlight. I'm sure Yacht Club are very happy with this result!

Amazing article!

It's true. Everybody needs read it. So many interesting things in that.

I personally agree with most of what he says. Right now switch is a gold mine, but it's needed maintains the quality and understanding that more games means that is hard to be seen.

mrk8885

Banned
Anyone who says switch gamers are “starving for games” needs a reality check (and likely just needs to be ignored. ) Switch has had a ridiculous first ~7 months.

Emitan

Anyone is says switch gamers are “starving for games” needs a reality check (and likely just needs to be ignored. ) Switch has had a ridiculous first ~7 months.

Every single week there's a GAF thread about how a game sold well only because Switch owners are starving for games.

Hmm 🤔

Anyone is says switch gamers are “starving for games” needs a reality check (and likely just needs to be ignored. ) Switch has had a ridiculous first ~7 months.

Last night I was at my older brother's apartment and I asked him what he has on Switch currently, since he's had his since launch day. He still only has Zelda and Shovel Knight because "that's all that's out for it still". I then pulled out my Switch and showed him my software library with Zelda, MK8D, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario+Rabbids, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Snake Pass, and about a dozen more, and he just said "Eh. I'll probably get Mario Odyssey when it comes out." I'm pretty sure his Switch just stays in the dock 100% of the time too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

We can't ignore that many of these games have been avaialable elsewhere for a while.

Last night I was at my older brother's apartment and I asked him what he has on Switch currently, since he's had his since launch day. He still only has Zelda and Shovel Knight because "that's all that's out for it still". I then pulled out my Switch and showed him my software library with Zelda, MK8D, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario+Rabbids, Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Snake Pass, and about a dozen more, and he just said "Eh. I'll probably get Mario Odyssey when it comes out." I'm pretty sure his Switch just stays in the dock 100% of the time too.

Sounds like you have an eating disorder.

I think we're approaching the point where stuff is going to tank because of the competition. Anything releasing this week for example will get stomped by stardew valley (like last week by golf story) and disappear from the list really quickly.
I'm pretty sure Oxenfree, Axiom Verge, Earth Atlantis and Volgarr will do just fine.

Kilau

Gold Member
More digging...

From Yacht Club themsleves back in 2014

8q57899l.png

http://yachtclubgames.com/2014/08/sales-one-month/

So if Switch broke the 38% (PC) of the games 75.000 total sales for the first week, it is north of 28,500 for the first week on Switch?

Then....

first_month_sales2-630x374.png

If Switch broke the PC number here, (37%) it did 66,600 in the first month?

I guess "out the gate" is probably first month sales, either case it would seem Switch had good numbers.

commish

Yes we can. That doesn't change anything actually.

Of course it does. If you've already played these games, then being on the Switch won't help you if you are "starving" for games. I love Golf Story, but I'm not going to replay the other indies just bc it's on Switch. If you haven't played them, and indies are your thing, then you'll be in heaven.

Menitta

Something something nothing to play on Switch.

I bought it again on Switch. This was the 3rd time I've bought this game. It deserves all the success it's gotten.

That's because playing games on the Switch is so good. Everytime I look at the console it keeps telling me "STOP DOING WHATEVER YOU DOING AND PLAYYYYY!!!"

Plainsong

I hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the Gamecube. Never played Shovel Knight either but was excited to try it after buying a Switch day one. Bought it in the first week. Glad to see it has done so well because it really is a great game.

redcrayon

Of course it does. If you've already played these games, then being on the Switch won't help you if you are "starving" for games. I love Golf Story, but I'm not going to replay the other indies just bc it's on Switch. If you haven't played them, and indies are your thing, then you'll be in heaven.
Not everyone has a 'one and done' approach to games. I've picked up Shovel Knight and several other games I've played before many times over, because I'll play them many times over again.

I don't know how representative I personally am of Switch owners but I basically never played indie games before the Switch for whatever reason. I even backed Shovel Knight but had no interest in really playing it on PC when I got my download code.

I suspect there are a lot of people who generally don't have interest playing indies unless they can play them on a platform that gives them a lot of time to play, i.e. a handheld like the Vita or a hybrid like the Switch. So while a good chunk of these games have been available elsewhere for a while (not all of them, probably not even the majority*) I'm betting they are new to a lot of Switch owners.

*I seem to remember around the launch period there were very few old ports outside of the Tomorrow Corporation games. The majority of indies were either new titles (like Has Been Heroes) or new expansions of old titles (like Binding of Isaac Afterbirth + or Shovel Knight Treasure Trove). I think that has obviously changed now, but it's still getting brand new indies like Steamworld Dig 2 and Golf Story.

NimbusD

Everyone who bought Shovel Knight on any platform before it became Treasure Trove already had the game. They might have double-dipped to get early access to Specter of Torment and to have the game on their new device. It's the biggest Shovel Knight launch, but it definitely doesn't mean its audience expanded a lot.
I'm sure they're just weeping into their piles of money about that.

Infinite

Brought my switch to a dinner party and straight up bought this game there and downloaded it for the co-op and had a fucking blast. Good game and it definitely deserves this.

kizmah

A quote from Martin Mathers, developer relations at publisher Rising Star.

"I don't think the opportunity's passed for anyone that's not in this sudden rush of titles, mainly because getting a spot in that Coming Soon tab is just as vital as appearing in the main store. That might change next year when the inevitable 'Holiday AAA' window closes and another glut of titles arrive, but there's still plenty of visibility right now. What's reassuring is how open Nintendo is being to titles from indie developers and publishers, and titles that might have been lost on other platforms are getting positioned front and centre."

Publishers, just as we starved gamers, hope for an updated eShop soon.

As for the future, the studios we spoke to expect Nintendo to update the eShop to introduce categorisation and improve discoverability. Some also anticipate a change in how they manage sales and promotions going forward.

Read the article people. It's great.

asagami_

Banned
I have the game in 3DS, but honestly I know I will buy Shovel Knight again in Switch just to support the devs... and well, I will think about it like my "console version" of the game. I still expect play a lot more in handheld mode, but the option is there :p

Coricus

That's because playing games on the Switch is so good. Everytime I look at the console it keeps telling me "STOP DOING WHATEVER YOU DOING AND PLAYYYYY!!!"

I've heard this said before and honestly I find myself agreeing.

It's not that Switch players are literally starved for games, if that were the case then games like Troll and I would be flying off the shelves, right? Likewise a lot of Switch owners likely own other consoles, so there's nothing stopping them from buying games on those instead. It's just that the Switch is such an appealing device that it gives great games that players might not normally consider picking up a certain added allure. For some Switch players it was likely Shovel Knight, for me it was Disgaea 5.

People aren't buying these games because they need padding for their system, the system just makes the games that much more tempting to pick up.

commish

Not everyone has a 'one and done' approach to games. I've picked up Shovel Knight and several other games I've played before many times over, because I'll play them many times over again.

GAF always thinks that the GAF community accurately represents the gaming community at large. I do not think that most people buy the same game multiple times. If you do, then we can agree to disagree.

redcrayon

GAF always thinks that the GAF community accurately represents the gaming community at large. I do not think that most people buy the same game multiple times. If you do, then we can agree to disagree.
Gaf doesn't always think anything, because we aren't a hivemind that assumes unified binary positions on things.

I agree with you that most people won't rebuy games, but sitting somewhere between 'some players buy lots of games multiple times' and 'most people do not buy lots of games multiple times' is 'people will occasionally rebuy their absolute favourites/regular go-to games to carry forward on a new device'. That's kinda where I sit, it's only a handful. Even my wife, who only ever plays one mobile game, loves it so much she'll pay a few quid to get it on whichever new phone she has. At that level it's not necessarily a 'dedicated hobbyist/gaf' thing.

I wonder what "out the gate" means though. It baffles me to think that this game sold better on Switch than PS4 just because of the install base on PS4.

Sure, but that doesn't mean that what the person is saying doesn't ring true for others to varying degrees.

Granted, most of these indies don't sell a shitload of copies, so it's entirely reasonable to think that maybe there are plenty of people that hadn't played Shovel Knight until they saw it on the Switch or something.

Instro

I wonder what "out the gate" means though. It baffles me to think that this game sold better on Switch than PS4 just because of the install base on PS4.

To be fair the game originally sold better on Nintendo platforms to begin with, so this actually isn't surprising at all.

Top Bottom