• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’s been a long year. Our new flat had a massive leak last November, and it took a year to fight the insurance companies to get everything repaired. Nevertheless, we are finally back in.

We are getting a full set of photos done and I’ll post them on GAF when done, but wanted to share an early look to our living room.

d3259915-f1c1-469a-b17cry.jpeg

Sony 85x9505B TV, Genelec 8351 speakers. A bespoke media unit, with Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch and a Titan X Pascal gaming PC, through a Marantz 8802a AV amp. Hatches for Switch and PlayStation VR. Togo sofas from Ligne Roset.
Very nice. Do you watch tv sideways or is there another couch/chair we can’t see?

Votron

It’s been a long year. Our new flat had a massive leak last November, and it took a year to fight the insurance companies to get everything repaired. Nevertheless, we are finally back in.

We are getting a full set of photos done and I’ll post them on GAF when done, but wanted to share an early look to our living room.

d3259915-f1c1-469a-b17cry.jpeg

Sony 85x9505B TV, Genelec 8351 speakers. A bespoke media unit, with Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, Switch and a Titan X Pascal gaming PC, through a Marantz 8802a AV amp. Hatches for Switch and PlayStation VR. Togo sofas from Ligne Roset.

Nice..who are "we" though?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Where does one get a nice beanbag chair?

Mihos

Gold Member
Where does one get a nice beanbag chair?

Personally, I like ModPod beanbag chair. We have had the 6 foot version for about 3 years and it is great. Cover is removable and washable.

It is similar to this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00139XMFC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

But modpod is usually about twice that price, but it has been worth it. The fill and cover is still like new after years of heavy use.

Edit: found it, used to be on amazon, but guess they stopped carrying it.
http://www.beanbagsco.com/mod-pod-classic-6-foot-bean-bag-lounger-black.html

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Update: Temporarily threw my ps4 upstairs, it's just easier with the baby always around nowadays. Also found this little CRT yesterday in the garbage and salvaged it, now I can play light gun games!
20181104-194533.jpg

kunonabi

Not sure if there is a better thread but anybody want to let my know how well Nightcry will run with these specs:

CPU: Intel core i5-8250u
8GB RAM
GPU: Intel integrated HD graphics 620

I'm trying to get a laptop under 600$ that can run it well.

BANGS

Banned
I need interior room designers like you all seem to have leveraged.
I gotta redecorate, right now, my room is just a random pile of shit. All good shit, but pretty randomly placed with no real flow. That's kind of how I like it, but most people don't...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I spent the weekend turning my spare bedroom into a little retro cave.

That's an awesome retro nook. Where'd you get the NES box art posters? Even if printed they look pretty decently high-res.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You can tell that from here? lol

No. That's why I said they look that way, and then asked about them. I have no idea if that's the case or not. I'd need to be in the room inspecting them up close.

bodine1231

No. That's why I said they look that way, and then asked about them. I have no idea if that's the case or not. I'd need to be in the room inspecting them up close.

I bought them from the eBay seller below. The ink and poster material are of very high quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGC-Huge-Poster-Castlevania-Original-Nintendo-NES-BOX-ART-II-III-CAS020/291749680619?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=590767011177&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought a bunch of them and will rotate them when I want a different look

9kEttr9h.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
but how lol

Chrome has this feature where it can actually render .jpg files as visible images in the browser alongside all of the text on a webpage. Pretty neat, right?

I bought them from the eBay seller below. The ink and poster material are of very high quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RGC-Huge-Poster-Castlevania-Original-Nintendo-NES-BOX-ART-II-III-CAS020/291749680619?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=590767011177&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I bought a bunch of them and will rotate them when I want a different look

Nice, I'll check that out. Thanks!

BANGS

Banned
Chrome has this feature where it can actually render .jpg files as visible images in the browser alongside all of the text on a webpage. Pretty neat, right?
You know what I mean... how could a physically small image, which is part of an already low res image, LOOK high res? What would it look like if it wasn't high res? Do you think it would look different? I'm just baffled, especially since you're someone who told me how great VR screens are going to be... kinda makes me chuckle...

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I mean...

No, I think you know what I meant. I already explained myself; now you're just being obtuse. I'm not really sure why you're so stuck on this point.

The photo is good enough for me to be fairly certain they aren't cheap, blurry knock-offs. Good enough to prompt me to ask where they're from so I could determine if they're legit good scans vs. somewhere in-between. Next time I know you're going to jump into the conversation I'll make sure to be more precise with my language and make my uncertainty clearer :rolleyes:

I'm just baffled, especially since you're someone who told me how great VR screens are going to be... kinda makes me chuckle...

I think you might have me confused with someone else. I have no memory of that exchange, and couldn't find it in my post history. I don't post in Gaming (or generally, actually) all that much these days.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hey folks, here is my setup, hope you like it! :)
LBquhZJ.jpg

I am curious, how is it playing on a projector? The screen quality always seemed to me to be slightly blurrier over the dedicated screens. Also are the colours as washed out as it appears from the photo or are they much deeper in person?

BANGS

Banned
No, I think you know what I meant. I already explained myself; now you're just being obtuse. I'm not really sure why you're so stuck on this point.

The photo is good enough for me to be fairly certain they aren't cheap, blurry knock-offs. Good enough to prompt me to ask where they're from so I could determine if they're legit good scans vs. somewhere in-between. Next time I know you're going to jump into the conversation I'll make sure to be more precise with my language and make my uncertainty clearer :rolleyes:

I think you might have me confused with someone else. I have no memory of that exchange, and couldn't find it in my post history. I don't post in Gaming (or generally, actually) all that much these days.
My apologies for the potential mistaken identity, but my point stands... "The photo is good enough for me to be fairly certain they aren't cheap, blurry knock-offs" is just plain false... here's why...
5vRsLiTh.jpg

If they were cheap blurry knock offs, the picture would look exactly the same... And yes I'm just being nitpicky on your imprecise language, moving along...

Last edited:
I didn't realise until I uploaded the shots that every one of them is on a tilt. I'm assuming one of my legs is longer than the other.

My brother and I collect Amiibos. We're only missing gold Mega Man, and I'm okay with that. The TV is getting old, it's not a 4K set so it'll become the bedroom set eventually.
wENwHaB.jpg

Where I spend too much of my time.
dtQ1hk8.jpg

UJcmXUT.jpg

I'm told I like Gundam kits. Almost every open wall in my place has bookcases or shelves full of the kits I've built over time. The Falcon on the table is my favorite thing, I spent way too much time building and panting it.

Wall 1, Wall 2, Wall 3, Wall 4, and Wall 5.

Missing is my giant mess of a hobby table that is in the middle of a kit, it's opposite the wall where my desk is.

Last edited:
I didn't realise until I uploaded the shots that every one of them is on a tilt. I'm assuming one of my legs is longer than the other.

My brother and I collect Amiibos. We're only missing gold Mega Man, and I'm okay with that. The TV is getting old, it's not a 4K set so it'll become the bedroom set eventually.
wENwHaB.jpg

dtQ1hk8.jpg

UJcmXUT.jpg

I'm told I like Gundam kits. Almost every open wall in my place has bookcases or shelves full of the kits I've built over time. The Falcon on the table is my favorite thing, I spent way too much time building and panting it.

Missing is my giant mess of a hobby table that is in the middle of a kit, it's opposite the wall where my desk is.

Thats a nice clean looking setup with proper shelving, I appreciate that.

Thats a nice clean looking setup with proper shelving, I appreciate that.

Thanks! I literally just put them up. They still have the assembly stickers all over them. My previous setup was a bit of a jumbled mess. Once I get a few more items to fill the tops and hide the wall anchors I can concentrate on the rest of the room.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

wENwHaB.jpg

dtQ1hk8.jpg

UJcmXUT.jpg

I absolutely love how clean everything is and well organized your collection looks. Fantastic job, mate!

Thanks! I literally just put them up. They still have the assembly stickers all over them. My previous setup was a bit of a jumbled mess. Once I get a few more items to fill the tops and hide the wall anchors I can concentrate on the rest of the room.
Its always an going process trust me but its rewarding to come home to a setup like that, nice work.

People actually use them?

Your setup looks awesome btw.

Thanks a lot! Originally I never even thought about using the anchors but right after putting in the shelves, I noticed they matched the pitched angle of the TV. I put my finger on the front of a shelf and pressed down which nearly pulled the whole unit over. The rug in the room is a comfy one and everything tends to sink.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
but my point stands... "The photo is good enough for me to be fairly certain they aren't cheap, blurry knock-offs" is just plain false...

Yet I was right about them, wasn't I? :pie_thinking: They aren't cheap, blurry knock-offs.

If they were cheap blurry knock offs, the picture would look exactly the same...

Nah, you just have bad eyes, bro. It's OK tho.

fatty

You guys are all bums. :messenger_tongue:

I knew I shouldn't have visited this thread, just from this page alone I now want to get a bean bag chair and retro gaming posters. (Note to self, do not visit this thread when you want to save money)

I recently moved and we are finishing the basement and I will have a small room down there for my stuff. It has been a while since I posted my setup (everyone was pretty much jealous of it, I can't blame them though), but I am looking forward to having my own space again so I will hopefully be finished before the year is over.

Seriously though, you guys have some really nice setups shown.

Speaking of beanbags, I really want to get a good one like the ones shown but my goodness, those are too rich for my blood. No longer have this one that was purchased from Walmart, I'm looking to upgrade so hopefully I can find a good one during Black Friday.

Lastly, video game posters have been posted and it reminded me, do any of you guys have any video game shadow boxes? I recently have a few (still in storage), but they look great. I like those and also making video game art out of Perler Beads.

Qwell

Almost! It's the LG PF1000U.
Hey look at that, you made some of the youtube videos I was watching to make sure the PF1000U is the projector I wanted to get. I picked up the same PF1000U last black friday, killer deal at Frys for only like $750, paired it with a nice silver ticket screen. Mostly watch movies on it but man its nice to have a big 120" screen again for watching movies and playing games.

Dr. Claus Dr. Claus to answer your question I have the same projector but I don't project it on a wall, I use an actual fixed projector screen. Typically you are going to be playing in the dark so the color doesn't look washed out. It doesn't look as clean as an actual LCD / OLED etc, but for me it sure looks good enough. I just wanted the size and theater atmosphere, especially with twins I just don't get out to the movies much. You can see from the link below, BodaGreg actually has some youtube videos in the playing environment and it does looks pretty nice.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am curious, how is it playing on a projector? The screen quality always seemed to me to be slightly blurrier over the dedicated screens. Also are the colours as washed out as it appears from the photo or are they much deeper in person?

It can be blurred over a dedicated screen. I don't think any would argue about contrast ratio etc vs a oled or high end display. But as someone who has all of them, there is definitely some games that are better on a 170+ vs 50"+ 4k screen. One of those are driving game which I can tell he is a fan of.
I have both, and will share soon, but there are pros and cons to both depending on what you are doing.
Cinemascope on first person shooters will make you lose your lunch, on other 3rd person like Rebel Galaxy..... you will never want to go back.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Lastly, video game posters have been posted and it reminded me, do any of you guys have any video game shadow boxes? I recently have a few (still in storage), but they look great. I like those and also making video game art out of Perler Beads.

I've seen some awesome Perler bead creations but have never had the patience or time to take the plunge into making my own. There's some great stuff on etsy, though.

Do you have anything you've made you could share?

bodine1231

Lol,ok,about my posters... They are not blurry. They are about as sharp as they can be considering they are hi res scans of box art from the 80's. The ink and paper the seller used are top notch,as good as any movie poster. I still have one left to put up,just need a frame.
xcu3Rkh.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom