• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your RETRO Gaming Setup

Thank you guys :)

SO I've added new shelves in my bedroom for my retro games (+ DS/3DS/Vita games)

http://imgur.com/a/uIPVo

Consoles are there, but I might change the furniture soon (it's a little bit too long to fit in that place) so I'll take a picture of them another time.

I'll post some closer pics later.

Nice shelf of Sega stuff. Looking forward to seeing closer pictures.

AdamisFox

Nice shelf of Sega stuff. Looking forward to seeing closer pictures.

Thank you :)

Here are my Snes and N64 games + the "Nintendo 64 anthology" book :

http://imgur.com/a/UCTCj

And the Sega games + the "Console war : Saturn VS PS1" book by Pix'n'Love (with a 3 books anthology of the PS1 behind it) :

http://imgur.com/a/rxhX7

http://imgur.com/a/MT4yO

http://imgur.com/a/Khw4x

I have some Game Gear games (mostly Sonic games), Game Boy, GBA, PSP and PC games on the upper shelf.

IrishNinja

Thank you :)

Here are my Snes and N64 games + the "Nintendo 64 anthology" book :

http://imgur.com/a/UCTCj

And the Sega games + the "Console war : Saturn VS PS1" book by Pix'n'Love (with a 3 books anthology of the PS1 behind it) :

http://imgur.com/a/rxhX7

http://imgur.com/a/MT4yO

http://imgur.com/a/Khw4x

I have some Game Gear games (mostly Sonic games), Game Boy, GBA, PSP and PC games on the upper shelf.

awesome stuff, where'd you get that sonic, tails & knuckles ones on the far left? they're awesome!

I don't know what kind of shapes yours have, but I use these to display individual games, maybe you could use something similar?

EZxIh9R.jpg

Love these stands, what are they called / where can somebody find them?

Yes Boss!

Is that a full sized TV leaned up against the wall in tate mode? Props to that. Great set up.

Yeah. I have a couple extra 55" TVs since I wanted to make a big duel screen Dariusburst setup. Have not done that yet so I just use them for various vertical shooter...sitting on the ground with an arcade stick.

image_6.jpeg

IrishNinja

My current little retro setup/space. Serviced me well for the last two years.

image_10.jpeg

Retro and modern combined!

HKlb.jpg

Plus I see the bad version of SotN in the OP with uneven pixel distribution. I bought that awful thing too.

these are both dope - i've been trying to figure out how i'd set things up in a future house, actually
i want a classic game room + bar for all my shelves, hardware, books etc but id definitely have my trinotron & smaller PVM in there, and i imagine my plasma in the living room with pretty much any system that does HDMI over there...but then my XRGB wouldn't see much use. said plasma has a bit too much latency with it for rhythm, SHMUP, fighters etc as well.

also since the receiver is DTS/7.1 or whatever im thinking i'll get a rinky dink one with some old school big ol' speakers at a garage sale one day for said game room, since most of those only do stereo sound anyway!

IrishNinja

ah, that's a cool setup - are you using those IKEA expedit or whatever they're called now cubes? i've a shelf of those for my records, but they look like they'd work well for systems.

BTails

ah, that's a cool setup - are you using those IKEA expedit or whatever they're called now cubes? i've a shelf of those for my records, but they look like they'd work well for systems.

I use those IKEA cubes for records AND video game systems. They work amazing, though cable management can be hell as the shelves are all open backed.

IrishNinja

yeah, i love cozy setups!

I use those IKEA cubes for records AND video game systems. They work amazing, though cable management can be hell as the shelves are all open backed.

see i like open air, but you're right - every time i move, i swear that's the time ill tie up loose cables & label them to do it right, haha.

dubc35

Get Kallax doors to hide it all. I cut the backs out of all mine for airflow but if you're only using older systems without fans you could just cut circular holes in the back.

Looks pretty slick with a high contrast black/white.

Also good for baby proofing.

Nice, definitely need to grab some of those doors. I never knew they existed. I have the same entertainment center as you do but in black. We've got some totes and stuff in there now but I like the idea of using some doors. We have a couple other Ikea items around the house that they would work well for too (including baby proofing! lol). Killer setup too btw!
for an S-video plebeian...only joking!

bodine1231

I actually bought them from Walmart. It's the Better Homes cube,very sturdy and not cheaply made like their usual stuff.

I have a black sheet hung behind there to hide all the RGB cables,lol. It's a little annoying having to go back there to hook a system up to the Framemeister but until I get a scart switcher it'll have to do.

BTails

Get Kallax doors to hide it all. I cut the backs out of all mine for airflow but if you're only using older systems without fans you could just cut circular holes in the back.

Looks pretty slick with a high contrast black/white.

Also good for baby proofing.

Yeah, I've got a couple of those doors for the cubbies that have SCART switches and wired in them, and I've cut holes out of the back. Baby proofing will be easy, as my retro setup is in the basement, so we have a baby gate for the stairs down anyway. No unsupervised playtime in the basement means dad doesn't have to worry!

Already bought a new entertainment system and got rid of all exposed wires for my modern systems in the living room ;)

Nice, definitely need to grab some of those doors. I never knew they existed. I have the same entertainment center as you do but in black. We've got some totes and stuff in there now but I like the idea of using some doors. We have a couple other Ikea items around the house that they would work well for too (including baby proofing! lol). Killer setup too btw!
for an S-video plebeian...only joking!

S-video just works better for my cable swapping thing. I'm probably just going to go ahead and mod the N64 and be done with it, go back to running my cube on component.

Bubba77

If my hundreds of retro games and systems werent enough to annoy my wife I just added this to the living room/play room. Its a hyperspin setup for mostly arcade games. I play the real thing for consoles.

3jr5rPY.jpg

bionic77

If my hundreds of retro games and systems werent enough to annoy my wife I just added this to the living room/play room. Its a hyperspin setup for mostly arcade games. I play the real thing for consoles.

3jr5rPY.jpg
How is the lag?

I ordered a arcade machine that uses Hyperspin and that was my only concern.

Bubba77

Lag? Like input lag? 0 to my knowledge. I built the pc and configured hyperspin myself. I did not hear good things about preloaded drives so I did it myself. Its a nice PC too so I can play the new killer instinct, sf5, etc on it.

bionic77

Lag? Like input lag? 0 to my knowledge. I built the pc and configured hyperspin myself. I did not hear good things about preloaded drives so I did it myself. Its a nice PC too so I can play the new killer instinct, sf5, etc on it.
Yeah input lag.

Good to hear.

I ordered a machine and my fear was the input lag would be bad (ie retropie).

Bubba77

Yeah input lag.

Good to hear.

I ordered a machine and my fear was the input lag would be bad (ie retropie).

Last year I built a retropie system with a pi2. It wasnt terrible, but it just made me want to build a better system with a real computer. So thats what I did last month with the pictured machine. I gave my retropie bartop to a friend.

Though I bet the lag really depends on the quality of controller encoder you are using.

bionic77

Last year I built a retropie system with a pi2. It wasnt terrible, but it just made me want to build a better system with a real computer. So thats what I did last month with the pictured machine. I gave my retropie bartop to a friend.

Though I bet the lag really depends on the quality of controller encoder you are using.
I had a Pi3 and it was definitely good at some things but I cannot stand lag on old school games. The visuals were great though on a HDTV. It was not horrible but it was noticeable for someone who grew up on those games.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah. I have a couple extra 55" TVs since I wanted to make a big duel screen Dariusburst setup. Have not done that yet so I just use them for various vertical shooter...sitting on the ground with an arcade stick.

image_6.jpeg

Are you back in the US now? That's a lotta displays for a short term setup.

Yes Boss!

How many TVs is this lol

4?

I have another 6-8 CRTs in a closet here that I salvaged from the trash over the last two years but these two are my favorites and will ship them back with all my stuff. I have actually really come to enjoy normal CRTs instrad of all the hassle of PVMs. Don't get me wrong, have many PVMs and PGMs but there is something like with consumer CRTs that remind me of growing up with the systems. Space for everything in a gameroom I feel. And, in a way, a bit tired of the recent race to everything RGB. But I dig that stuff too.

entremet

I have another 6-8 CRTs in a closet here that I salvaged from the trash over the last two years but these two are my favorites and will ship them back with all my stuff. I have actually really come to enjoy normal CRTs instrad of all the hassle of PVMs. Don't get me wrong, have many PVMs and PGMs but there is something like with consumer CRTs that remind me of growing up with the systems. Space for everything in a gameroom I feel. And, in a way, a bit tired of the recent race to everything RGB. But I dig that stuff too.
Same.

PVMs are pricey. I do love that they have video out, tho.

But I love commercial CRTs.

Yes Boss!

Are you back in the US now? That's a lotta displays for a short term setup.

Move back in early february. It was a short term but still two years and got plenty of use and play time. That said, I've been exceptionally busy here so very much looking forward to getting back to the states and getting more back into gaming. Prices seem a bit crazier now but will concentrate on a few more arcade things. Really wanna build a PC for the dual-screen Dariusburst port.

My "retro" setup is the same as my regular one. All the consoles, except the newest few that only do HDMI, can output to either TV. The left one is a CRT Sony Wega:

Gameroom1_zpskv2yl4nv.jpg

In addition to that, I have a few coax-only systems hooked up to a CRT that's light gun compatible (the Wega isn't), along with some duplicate systems and their light guns:

Gameroom2_zpspwhutapy.jpg

And in a little corner, I have my old Pentium 3 / Voodoo 5, Windows 98 PC:

Gameroom3_zpszqinc25v.jpg

Sorry for the yellowish pix; I'm too lazy to take better tonight. Or to remove the cookies from the top of the TV. Or the extra TV from the top of the TV. :)

bodine1231

image_6.jpeg

I've wanted to buy an extra 55" for tate only for the longest time,looks like a window to another world. I never stick with a particular shmup long enough to get gud but I love playing them so much.

My "retro" setup is the same as my regular one. All the consoles, except the newest few that only do HDMI, can output to either TV. The left one is a CRT Sony Wega:

In addition to that, I have a few coax-only systems hooked up to a CRT that's light gun compatible (the Wega isn't), along with some duplicate systems and their light guns:

Sorry for the yellowish pix; I'm too lazy to take better tonight. Or to remove the cookies from the top of the TV. Or the extra TV from the top of the TV. :)

I love the way you have all your consoles organized. It'd be nice to see a closer picture especially of that GameCube. The picture of your PC looks like it was taken in a dungeon though :).

I love the way you have all your consoles organized. It'd be nice to see a closer picture especially of that GameCube. The picture of your PC looks like it was taken in a dungeon though :).

Thanks! I like to have the chronologically placed (by U.S. launch date).

And I assume you mean the Panasonic Q Gamecube, because the other one's just a regular old purple one. And yeah, the poor old W98 PC is stuck in a little alcove in the next room. It's not actually in the game room with the rest of this stuff. There's no light in that room, and the rest of it is used for storage.

Consoles_zpsapshz8xj.jpg

Q1_zpsj19p4ske.jpg

Q2_zpshejemaod.jpg

Gameroom1_zpskv2yl4nv.jpg

Gameroom2_zpspwhutapy.jpg

Gameroom3_zpszqinc25v.jpg

That is a damn nice collection of systems!

TeaJay

Here's my current setup. Got a PC Engine Duo, SNES, AV Famicom, Megadrive, PS1, Saturn and a Dreamcast (not pictured), all with RGB mods and cables connected to my PVM-20M4E, going through a couple of Joytech scart switchboxes. For games I use backups and flashcarts nowadays, but my consoles are also all modded for 50/60 and region free. Everything's also hooked to my home theater system which makes the music and sound really good.

If I had more room, I'd get a separate retro corner, but for now I have to keep my main TV there as well.

Yes Boss!

Finally finished my retro setup. I've been in transit for the last three months with three different moves but will be in this space for the next year. Took a couple weekends but I finally got it to the point where I am happy with what I have on hand. Naturally, shooters come first then everything else follows.

50047CA0-B4B3-4F45-9457-06CB549475CC.jpg

20AE73CB-3617-4D0F-A675-13E3B8DC20B0.jpg

FF5FAD5E-6E93-44DE-8712-841A95A43CB4.jpg

66DCEA0E-DE95-4B9F-B126-AC036F77F1EC.jpg

116FA69A-0517-4BBE-9455-BE8FFB48DA07.jpg

Top Bottom