• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shows/Films that are weird to rewatch due to an actor's death

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Glee finally ended last week. It was a good show in its' prime and I caught it when I could. Good characters, funny dialogue, clearly a big production from a technical standpoint. Sadly, the show's male lead, Cory Monteith, died two years ago after ODing during a bad relapse. They kept the show going for another 1.5 seasons, but it really wasn't the same after that.

Now that the show is over, the really weird thing to me is seeing old episodes in syndication. It's weird seeing Cory and his character up there, alive and well, when we all know what happened to him. It's hard to suspend disbelief and get into the character like I did when the show originally aired. I have a similar reaction whenever Clueless is on and Brittany Murphy's character is introduced.

Anybody else feel this way about certain actors after they died?

Zombine

Banned
No, but I do get frustrated. Looking back on The Dark Knight, had Heath Ledger not passed away we could have gotten an entirely different The Dark Knight Returns, and who knows what else he could have starred in after that? He would have been one of the Hollywood "it" men, and I'm sure he would have been offered other interesting roles.

barik

I feel really fucking sad everytime Harris Wittels pops up on when I rewatch Parks and Rec.

only recently noticed this one. too soon man :(

So what's the cutoff? Can you watch the Godfather or no, because Brando and Cazale, and Vigoda
psyche
are dead? What about really old movies, like The African Queen. Everybody's dead in that one.
How fresh does the death have to be to hurt?

Parch

The Crow.
The particular scene where he was shot was altered, but knowing that was the point in the movie where he was shot is surreal.

Altazor

I still feel weird whenever seeing a Chris Benoit match.

Chris Benoit matches/promos are really surreal to watch now.

EDIT:Well damn.

this.

man was a great wrestler, the ending scene of Wrestlemania XX was such a triumphant moment it was hard not to feel emotional for Eddie and Chris at that moment.

Then, of course, the murder/suicide happened. His legacy has been forever tainted. It's tough for me to separate the man from the wrestler, and I could. Benoit may have been a technical monster inside the ring, but the details of what happened and how it happened just make me feel uneasy (and I'm being generous)

Acorn

Robin Williams movies for me, I'm sure I'll get over the hump eventually but man dude was a constant presence in my life growing up right until last year (I'm 27). His kids movies growing up then his dramatic stuff and stand up in my teens - now.

Same sorta for James Gandolfini, The Sopranos were my comfort food. Got me through some tough times being absorbed in that world through multiple box set viewings.

Gandolfini was just getting started theatrically(yeah the Mexican etc but he was now solely focused on movies) and Robin had so much talent in anything he tried.

So sad, shitty few years we've had loads of great talents gone in the space of like 24 months (PSH too).

I still feel weird whenever seeing a Chris Benoit match.

Chris Benoit matches/promos are really surreal to watch now.

EDIT:Well damn.

For sure.

It's hard to recapture the feel good moment of WM20 when it was fresh, especially knowing everything that happens. He was and always has been my top guy, and over the years I've gotten more comfortable with saying it. Still awkward as all hell though. I still have problems from time to time enjoying some of his work, but I've gotten better at separating it.

Sephzilla

Because he died making the movie

Brandon-Lee-as-Eric-Draven-in-The-Crow.jpg

ElTopo

Banned
slaughterhigh.jpg

The actor who played the tormented nerd who goes out for revenge committed suicide a few months after principal photography wrapped. He was apparently depressed and didn't really care for the role he had in the film.

zeemumu

Fast and the Furious 1.

The DVD starts with a disclaimer that all of the driving is performed by trained drivers and not to try it at home, and it's said by Paul Walker

Then in the first race, they say that Paul Walker's car has enough Nitrous to blow himself up

Then his car actually blows up.

So what's the cutoff? Can you watch the Godfather or no, because Brando and Cazale, and Vigoda
psyche
are dead? What about really old movies, like The African Queen. Everybody's dead in that one.
How fresh does the death have to be to hurt?

I wouldn't say there's a concrete rule or cutoff. More the circumstances of the death. It doesn't feel weird watching Jimmy Stewart because he lived a long full life and stopped acting well before he passed due to natural causes. When Mr. Smith Goes to Washington comes on, I think about his character and his great acting, not "Jimmy Stewart, gone too soon!" or "Jimmy Stewart, so tragic how he went out!"

But a talented actor that died young? Or a great older actor that died in really sad circumstances. That's where it feels really weird to me. It's different in each case, really.

this.

man was a great wrestler, the ending scene of Wrestlemania XX was such a triumphant moment it was hard not to feel emotional for Eddie and Chris at that moment.

Then, of course, the murder/suicide happened. His legacy has been forever tainted. It's tough for me to separate the man from the wrestler, and I could. Benoit may have been a technical monster inside the ring, but the details of what happened and how it happened just make me feel uneasy (and I'm being generous)

I might be misremembering the details, but didn't they do a brain scan on him and discover massive brain damage due to multiple concussions from his wrestling career? Not saying he was a victim or anything, but the circumstances are different than someone doing that in cold blood.

I'm glad I finished The Sopranos before James Gandolfini's death. Would be too painful otherwise.

I watched and fell in love with that show, and Tony Soprano himself, only to then find out about his death directly after finishing the last season. It hit me like a ton of bricks. So much talent lost.

BFIB

John Candy in Wagons East.

Though it was a terrible film, it was even worse when Candy was superimposed into scenes to finish out the movie. It was really out of place, and honestly, felt like a slap in the face to the legacy that Candy ended on.

kirby_fox

Banned
I see all the stuff that pops up on Netflix with Robin Williams :(

It feels weird watching certain movies. World's Greatest Dad I watched right after his death and it was super surreal. Recently watched Angriest Man in Brooklyn and found some of the scenes in it odd too.
The first movie being about a fake suicide and the second having Williams attempting suicide make it all the more odd.

WillyFive

The final season of The West Wing comes to mind.

Robin Williams however is such a great actor that while watching his movies I can't even phantom that he isn't alive.

Altazor

I might be misremembering the details, but didn't they do a brain scan on him and discover massive brain damage due to multiple concussions from his wrestling career? Not saying he was a victim or anything, but the circumstances are different than someone doing that in cold blood.

No, I understand what you're saying. That's why I'm all kinds of conflicted with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom