• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shuhei Yoshida confirms all games at Sony conference shown on standard PS4

Does anyone else find it odd that we jumped straight from complaints about how this generation doesn't look any better than the 360/PS3 era straight to refusal to believe that what we're seeing isn't footage from the next round of hardware – without any appreciable time spent in the middle ground?
Haters haven't got time for no middle ground argument, it's either one extreme or another for them.

"Sony made a mistake with ps4, that's why neo is coming out to make up the power" straight to "this game looks too good, no way it's playing on a standard ps4"

Paz

Why would you even think games are being shown on non PS4 hardware, why are people even still doubting it in this thread.

This is why we can't have good conspiracy theories.

Lady Gaia

No; that was CGI.

Hideo Kojima clearly announced Death Stranding trailer with "this is all running in real time." Sony won't show any Neo footage without making it very clear what they're promoting. The first time we see anything of the sort will be when they announce the hardware formally.

Does anyone else find it odd that we jumped straight from complaints about how this generation doesn't look any better than the 360/PS3 era straight to refusal to believe that what we're seeing isn't footage from the next round of hardware – without any appreciable time spent in the middle ground?

That's a good point but I guess it's not surprising. The internet and specifically people on video game forums love hyperbole.

It's why games are mostly trash or great and there's not a lot of simply good or decent ones

Spinluck

If you told me this was a gif from Spider-Man Homecoming, I'd believe you.

tumblr_n1irhzPfjW1r3s2suo1_400.gif

o6c6wJI.gif

Not too far off tbh, they really nailed the lighting.

Gurish

Why man? it looked amazing but we all played U4, even if GOW looks better it still make sense it can look like that having developed afterwards by a team that is as talented as ND, it's exactly like how it was in 2010, a year after U2 when GOW3 was released, it looked better but within a reasonable gap a year later, so SM are doing it again, next ND's game will probably 1UP GOW as well (unless it's an open world or doing something crazy with physics that will limit them)

GHG

Gold Member
I find it funny that people still doubt the capabilities of the Sony first party studios.

These guys don't mess around. Look at what they achieved on the PS3 for goodness sake.

I doubted Detroit for a while until they showed the gameplay demo on a normal PS4. While QD are wizards, native 1080p and an unlocked framerate that often hovered closer to 60 fps than 30 fps seemed kinda unrealistic with what was shown, especially after the reveal trailer had black bars and ran sub 30 fps in behind the scenes footage. But I guess they are just wizards

detroitapproach3w8pdg.gif

detroitapproach2_gif_by_dragonbane0-da6jlfl.gif

Macrotus

Spider-Man at that level is gonna fucking melt my PS4

Talking about melting,
the current PS4 already gets really hot and the fans sound like jet engines (for example when playing MGS5).
I wonder if NEOs going to have a bigger box. They definitely would need a better cooling system.

Why would you even think games are being shown on non PS4 hardware, why are people even still doubting it in this thread.

This is why we can't have good conspiracy theories.

Well Microsoft sometimes shows games running on pc with xbox controller

GHG

Gold Member

That's because all of their games are also on the PC now... They are showing their games on the best available hardware in the best possible quality. Third parties have been doing the same thing with their games for years.

Javin98

Banned
I doubted Detroit for a while until they showed the gameplay demo on a normal PS4. While QD are wizards, native 1080p and an unlocked framerate that often hovered closer to 60 fps than 30 fps seemed kinda unrealistic with what was shown, especially after the reveal trailer had black bars and ran sub 30 fps in behind the scenes footage. But I guess they are just wizards

Your repetitive praises for QD aside, perhaps the better frame rate had more to do with the fact that this trailer had much fewer people on screen than the reveal trailer? No black bars is definitely a plus for me, though.

Didn't realize Yoshida works for Microsoft. I could've sworn this was the Sony thread.

Javin98

Banned
The only one I doubt is Horizon. Everything else looks like it could be running on a PS4.
Just to entertain people who still doubt the Horizon demo, if the Neo footage can't properly render vegetation without pop in further than 3 metres, I don't want to imagine the PS4 version, LOL.

Striek

Spiderman is another level to the other open-world games, Horizon included.

Edit: For all the people claiming this was obvious, uhhh, what games have you being playing until now? Several of these games eclipsed UC4 by a wide margin, and that sets the standard right now.

I'm surprised people seriously thought otherwise, when they specifically said they weren't showing it until enough games are ready to really demonstrate the difference enough to sell it.

Honestly, it calmed a lot of my worries that we'd see a general worsening or at least stagnation in general with developers willingness to improve optimisation for the hardware going forward.

Who knows what the future holds admittedly, but if they can keep to the promise of everything using the standard PS4 as the baseline With Neo just giving more bells and whistles on top, I'm completely fine with a mid cycle premium upgrade.

Edit: For all the people claiming this was obvious, uhhh, what games have you being playing until now? Several of these games eclipsed UC4 by a wide margin, and that sets the standard right now.
Uhhhh, like what? Have you played UC4?

HMD

After Beyond on the PS3 I'd believe anything from that studio, that game looked like a PS4 game on a PS3.

Your repetitive praises for QD aside, perhaps the better frame rate had more to do with the fact that this trailer had much fewer people on screen than the reveal trailer?
Well the reveal trailer hovered around 27 fps during this frame:

87105518329742aba68a7bau05.png

A few people walking about, but otherwise this doesn't seem much more taxing unless there was a huge crowd offscreen or they forgot to enable culling xD

DjRalford

Talking about melting,
the current PS4 already gets really hot and the fans sound like jet engines (for example when playing MGS5).
I wonder if NEOs going to have a bigger box. They definitely would need a better cooling system.

I would imagine die shrink and lower power usage with improved clocks etc would provide a very similar TDP

They did crazy shit with the PS3. I think they can easily get this done with the PS4.

Floody

I really don't think they do, maybe GoW does slightly and Detroit, but they didn't look that much better if so.

Gurish

They showed gameplay demo for Detroit? is there any footage?

Javin98

Banned
Well the reveal trailer hovered around 27 fps during this frame:

87105518329742aba68a7bau05.png

A few people walking about, but otherwise this doesn't seem much more taxing unless there was a huge crowd offscreen or they forgot to enable culling xD
Unless I'm mistaken, that frame also has some really heavy bokeh DoF effect which could really be taxing the hardware. Anyway, I'm simply saying these two trailers aren't very comparable. Of course, there are undoubtedly optimization efforts done, but it's hard to say what is the reason for the significantly improved performance.

They did crazy shit with the PS3. I think they can easily get this done with the PS4.
Yeah. I just had my expectations sort of in check that the framerate probably wouldnt be too amazing (like Beyond on PS3) and black bars were definitely a thing. So getting a no on both accounts kinda surprised me.

They showed gameplay demo for Detroit? is there any footage?
There you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1234535

a916

If there's one first party that can give Naughty Dog a run for it's graphical money, it's Sony Santa Monica. Never doubt them.

Dahaka

I find it funny that people still doubt the capabilities of the Sony first party studios.

These guys don't mess around. Look at what they achieved on the PS3 for goodness sake.

This. Really wondering where they have been in all these years while doubting this.

All in all i'm fucking alive with all these beautiful first party studios' games

barit

If people really thought Sony would show footage from an unannounced, not finalized console on E3 then I don't know what to say. Except: PS4 is still a beast and all those mid-way upgrade are useless as fuck. Thanks to gamers and their obsession of power. Who were are all these guys who always screamed "weak consoles, bad looking multiplatform game, lol GTA5 Remasters can't even hit 60fps, garbage CPU, console speccs can't match my GTX2000, yada yada". Of course it was all bullshit and those "weak" consoles from 2013 are still capable of producing some spectacular looking games. Screw Multi-plats like EA, Ubisoft or Activison which mostly don't give a fuck about optimize their million dollar budget games on consoles. 1st parties will show us what these consoles can really do.

zoukka

All the games mentioned ITT already? Horizon, Spiderman, Detroit, God of War, Death Stranding....and more.

And yes, I've played UC4. Its a fantastic looking game, thats a level below what was shown at this E3.

No. In fact Uncharted still was a level above of many of the games shown.

Neo is in real trouble, as people expect the same difference in graphics fidelity like the one between GTS reveal trailer and the one shown at E3.

I don't think that's possible / realistic.

Javin98

Banned
Wow this looks so good!

But I doubt they can run it at 60, we need DF to check the FPS, it's probably 60 when you look at a wall or something.
Even if it could hit a stable 60FPS, I get the feeling David Cage would crank up the post processing and other stuff to get it down to 30FPS for that "cinematic" feel. :p

First of all, none of these games are approaching the animation quality of U4.

As for GOW vs U4, U4 has crazy physics and particle effects that we didnt see in the GOW demo. Im not saying GOW wont have these things, just that these are important considerations for comparisons. Also I personally doubt GOW will have physics as insanely detailed as that in U4.

The point is that its not all just about how the game looks. Even if you think GOW looks better (arguable and not something I'm sure I'd agree with), U4 can still be the technically superior game.

Of course my argument might fall apart if it turns out that GOW runs at 60 FPS, but I dont know if thats indeed the case.

Wow this looks so good!

But I doubt they can run it at 60, we need DF to check the FPS, it's probably 60 when you look at a wall or something.
I very much assume they will lock it to 30 for the final release, but the fact it gets so high in the first place is hopefully a good sign that it will rarely dip below 30 unlike their past games. Can't see them going for 60 fps since their genre benefits the least from it, unless some VR/Neo future is planned xD

Withnail

I thought the new God of War was very impressive visually, but then I remember how good God of War 3 looked in 2010.

Can't wait to see what Sony first party can do on Neo.

Gurish

Even if it could hit a stable 60FPS, I get the feeling David Cage would crank up the post processing and other stuff to get it down to 30FPS for that "cinematic" feel. :p
Yea that's true lol, not that I have any problem with that, this is the last game that needs 60.

Well at this point we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I agree that some of these games look better than U4, but the discussion shouldn't be about them looking better, it should be about if those games can run on the same hardware that we played Uncharted 4 on.

I think that maybe other than Horizon the answer is a pretty easy "yes".

It's almost like the longer devs get to spend with hardware, the more they can do with it.

Everyone loves shiny new hardware and dreaming up possibilities based on promises. That's really all the hype for the Neo, because in no universe is the PS4 an unacceptable solution for next-generation hardware. I'll never understand the impulse people have to tear down the current-gen hardware to build up their dreams of the Neo. They did exactly that at the tail-end of last generation too.

PantsuJo

LOL but Ps4 (One too) is just a PC inside! A Low-level PC.

And now even console users need hardware upgrade. Obviously: they use Pcs but maybe they're not aware of this fact.

Admit the truth and consider that the millions of users from Steam, GOG, Origin have already won (years ago) this "platforms war".

This is OUR golden age.

Withnail

It's almost like the longer devs get to spend with hardware, the more they can do with it.

Everyone loves shiny new hardware and dreaming up possibilities based on promises. That's really all the hype for the Neo, because in no universe is the PS4 an unacceptable solution for next-generation hardware. I'll never understand the impulse people have to tear down the current-gen hardware to build up their dreams of the Neo. They did exactly that at the tail-end of last generation too.

The difference this time though is that Neo will be the same technology, same libraries etc but with more capability. All that knowledge that has been gained on PS4 will still be applicable, there's no reset.

Slaythe

And now even console users need hardware upgrade. Obviously: they use Pcs but maybe they're not aware of this fact.

Admit the truth and consider that the millions of users from Steam, GOG, Origin have already won (years ago) this "platforms war".

This is OUR golden age.

Enjoy your league of legends.

Missing out on persona 5, Spider-Man, horizon, dreams, Detroit, bound, Nier 2, kh3, ff15, yakuza, the last guardian etc....
Not to mention all the Nintendo games.

Javin98

Banned

This is OUR golden age.

101.gif

Top Bottom