• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SIE Bend Studio’s Next Project Targets “Cinematic-Quality” Facial Animation, 3D Audio, and Online MP

Bullet Club

SIE Bend Studio’s Next Project Targets “Cinematic-Quality” Facial Animation, 3D Audio, and Online MP

SIE Bend Studio has released Days Gone last year, which was their first major new open-world IP for the PS4. They are now hiring for a new project.

Sony Bend Studio has previously worked on the PlayStation Vita Uncharted spin-off and Syphon Filter series. They developed a brand new IP for the PlayStation 4 with Days Gone, which was released last year. They have been aggressively recruiting for new job opening since then and their latest job descriptions spill some details on what they are planning for the PS5.

The official careers page for Sony Bend Studio has job openings for Senior Staff Engine Programmer, Rigging Technical Artist, Senior Gameplay Programmer, Pipeline Technical Artist, and Senior Audio Programmer. They also have a job listing open for a Senior Network Programmer on Linkedin, although it mentions Days Gone as the AAA game despite the game launching a year ago.

The description for Rigging Technical Artist mentions a focus on high-quality character animations including expressions and deformations.

“Create high quality character rigs with cinematic-quality facial articulation, ” reads the job description. Another one point mentions realistic deformations for the character model.

“Develop and implement skinning methods to achieve realistic deformation for faces, bodies, and clothes, including the creation of tools and scripts to assist in completing these tasks quickly and efficiently during production.”

Senior Audio Programmer description meanwhile lists “experience working on environmental audio, sound propagation and 3D audio” as one of the desirable skills. This could point towards their next project supporting the 3D Audio feature for the PS5.

Lastly, they still have a Senior Network Programmer job opening but the description has no mention of a new AAA project. It simply talks about Days Gone despite the game already being available for close to a year. It is hard to imagine Bend Studio creating multiplayer for Days Gone at this stage, so either it is for a sequel to the game, or an entirely new project.

Source: Twisted Voxel

Stop derailing and take it to PM if you have an issue.
You're the one derailing, I said one thing and you got insecure about it. The game still has a bunch of problems, crashes, save state corruption, performance issues and so on.

They should be focusing on fixing their existing product before walking off and building another game. I didn't realize we can't voice opinions here relevant to the topic.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I don’t care about online MP tbh .. too many online MP games and all the same with zero creativity ..

I need a complete single player experience with a cinematic story + long play more than 20 hours at least

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
For sure, i know it sold well, but in terms of reception, dont most consider it to be meh? I know "journos" were tearing it apart. The recent thread here was more against the game than for it.

Same applies for Death Stranding.

Its Sony Kingdom Come Deliverance.
The game got a perfectly serviceable critical meta score and an even higher user score. More importantly it made Sony money. Unless you can show some evidence Sony weren't happy, I don't see any basis to say Bend got "demoted". Also, "Cinematic-Quality Facial Animation" doesn't exactly scream "cheap mp royal game".

Last edited:
The game got a perfectly serviceable critical meta score and an even higher user score. More importantly it made Sony money. Unless you can show some evidence Sony weren't happy, I don't see any basis to say Bend got "demoted". Also, "Cinematic-Quality Facial Animation" doesn't exactly scream "cheap mp royal game".

Oh im not taking the mickey, if the game did well across the board then thats great. I was hoping it would, but didnt keep up with the news.

As per Bend being relegated, after their treatment of the vita, Studio Liver Pool, Evolution Studios... I was expecting Sony to turn Bend into another burner studio.

Glad to see or hope thats not the case.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
For sure, i know it sold well, but in terms of reception, dont most consider it to be meh? I know "journos" were tearing it apart. The recent thread here was more against the game than for it.

Same applies for Death Stranding.

Its Sony Kingdom Come Deliverance.
A lot changed since release and i must say this is the only game last year i saw this much support for and vast improvements.
My game of 2019.

And most of the negative reviews sprinkled some sjw into it to give it a lower score be it due to the whole dude bro theme or whatever the libtards are into at the time.

Not perfect but it kept my interest till the end only to have a batshit hangover.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
in terms of reception, dont most consider it to be meh?

Not sure it kept selling well despite being supposedly meh, but for my part I have not been finding it meh at all. I like characters, settings (clearly people depicting a land they love) and open world design. Some journalists like John L.’s from DF actually liked it quite a bit and found it a interestingly polished UE4 customisation.

We will disagree even more with DS I guess as that is in the Olympus of awesome game experiences for me this generation.

A lot changed since release and i must say this is the only game last year i saw this much support for and vast improvements.
My game of 2019.

And most of the negative reviews sprinkled some sjw into it to give it a lower score be it due to the whole dude bro theme or whatever the libtards are into at the time.

Not perfect but it kept my interest till the end only to have a batshit hangover.

Not sure it kept selling well despite being supposedly meh, but for my part I have not been finding it meh at all. I like characters, settings (clearly people depicting a land they love) and open world design. Some journalists like John L.’s from DF actually liked it quite a bit and found it a interestingly polished UE4 customisation.

We will disagree even more with DS I guess as that is in the Olympus of awesome game experiences for me this generation.

I guess as a die hard Death Standing fan (The order 1886 is a fun experience, ftw) ive got no excuse to not pick it up. I still got more time off due to the lockdown anyways, Ill pick it up this weekend.

Cheers fellas.

Edit: Physical copy it is. Digital pricing is taking the piss.

P Panajev2001a
Death Stranding is amazing. One of the best gaming experiences ive had since I was a teen. Not finished it yet, got busy with work and time flew buy, so waiting for PC version to start again and have been forcing myself to not play ps4 version during the lockdown. Only a couple more months.

Been soaking up the OST though. Cant wait to get back.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Oh good, another one targeting cinematics.

Why do so many miss the game part of the word videogame?

SMH, next gen is going to be worse then this gen if devs keep focusing on all the wrong things.
Yeah this whole realistic faces and such are so dumb when you see you character most of the time from behind.
Untill there is a vr title where i get sexualy harrased and woman raped in pov i dknt care for realistic faces

I guess as a die hard Death Standing fan (The order 1886 is a fun experience, ftw) ive got no excuse to not pick it up. I still got more time off due to the lockdown anyways, Ill pick it up this weekend.

Cheers fellas.

Edit: Physical copy it is. Digital pricing is taking the piss.
Game is amazing . I got it on psn for 20$ and was expecting shitty game but I fell in love with the game.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Oh good, another one targeting cinematics.

Why do so many miss the game part of the word videogame?

SMH, next gen is going to be worse then this gen if devs keep focusing on all the wrong things.
A game can have great cinematics and great gameplay: Spider-man and God of War, come to mind

TLOU Part II will be the same

Jtibh

Banned
A game can have great cinematics and great gameplay: Spider-man and God of War, come to mind

TLOU Part II will be the same
I dont know man. That whole lesbo makeout scene looked like some wallace and gromet clay lookalike.

As a pro sony man i am doing a complete 180 when it comes to tlou2.
I dont care for the story and the characters so given its a heavily story focused game i am out.

Part 1 was about something i can relate to and the whole joel and allie dynamic was perfect minus the constant i cant swim bring me a pallet and drag me to the other side.

This one lost me completely also cuz i think this whole tv show will follow or be a part of this story and we know how the left likes to turn everything into some woke and inclusive and i am tired of this shit.

Kagey K

Banned
Those are stealth sections and they made up like 10% of the game.

Also did you expect Miles and MJ to be able to do the things Spider-man can 🤔

They could have used the time to better animate other sections of the game and been left out completely.

Maybe the animations and cutscenes could have been even better yet, but this is getting off topic now.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

With multiplayer you say!... I really hope they're reviving Splinter Cell!

Fuck the trolls trolling, they are just farts in the wind, give me stealth kills with 'cinematic' faces and high quality deformations all day long!

You're the one derailing, I said one thing and you got insecure about it. The game still has a bunch of problems, crashes, save state corruption, performance issues and so on.

They should be focusing on fixing their existing product before walking off and building another game. I didn't realize we can't voice opinions here relevant to the topic.
No, you are derailing! The topic is about job listings with no new games attached and even mentions Days Gone!
Where the fuck does it say Bend announced a new game, and even if they did... in what strange reality that means walking way from supporting your current game at the same time!?... Maybe, just maybe, it's the same reality where you still seeing all that endless bugs corrupting the save files of your Days Gone copy?

Edit lol banned again....

Last edited:

GymWolf

this bit had me wet in my pants

“Develop and implement skinning methods to achieve realistic deformation for faces, bodies, and clothes, including the creation of tools and scripts to assist in completing these tasks quickly and efficiently during production.”

daninthemix

Here's a leaked insider screenshot of the project, demonstrating clearly the "cinematic quality" character models:

latest

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I dont know man. That whole lesbo makeout scene looked like some wallace and gromet clay lookalike.

As a pro sony man i am doing a complete 180 when it comes to tlou2.
I dont care for the story and the characters so given its a heavily story focused game i am out.

Part 1 was about something i can relate to and the whole joel and allie dynamic was perfect minus the constant i cant swim bring me a pallet and drag me to the other side.

This one lost me completely also cuz i think this whole tv show will follow or be a part of this story and we know how the left likes to turn everything into some woke and inclusive and i am tired of this shit.
You'll change your mind when you start seeing the media blitz and all of the awards and accolades TLOU Part II will get :) the game already looks amazing

ANIMAL1975

Job Application

Name Chris Grannel

Applying for rrigging designer

Expertise working with staggering GPUs, jetengine 2.0 systems, and complicated 'ps3 like' architecture.
Designing open world games with no breakthroughs just a few seconds faster loadings, extensive experience with hybrid RT solutions for systems with inferior/lack of hardware support.

Others/Recommendations
@timdog(Xcloudtimdog)/Twitter
youtubechanel/dealergaming
@XSXbeastmode87(TOWERofPOWER 12TF)/Twitter

Currículum Vitae [choose file]

Last edited:
Top Bottom