• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 behind-the-scenes mocap footage from Guy Cihi

Bluestone

Neo Member
Jeremy Blaustein, then?

Yep, that's me. I was really happy to see this video. They cut me out of the Making Of pretty ruthlessly because I think Konami didn't want to show that a non-employee did so much work on their game. But the directing I was doing there was a pretty good example of what each day was like (although in the case of the other actors, the direction came before scenes as opposed to during them.)

Bluestone

Neo Member
ahwg.gif

EDIT: Big fan of the voice acting in those games BTW. SH2's dreamlike atmosphere was enhanced by the dialogue, SH3 had an emotive performance by the lead actress that I rarely see in games today, etc. I couldn't bring myself to play SH2 with the new voices, and kinda never got around to playing SH3 - the new vocal track was the straw on the camels back in that regard (even though they sounded fine from what I heard, just wasn't working for me). You rock!

The women in the games really did an amazing job. Monica and Heather were absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough about them. Especially Monica, she just blew me away and I feel that way every time I replay a scene. But actors need a good script to do a good job, so I also have to pat myself on the back. You can't do a good job acting if the lines suck.

addik

Yep, that's me. I was really happy to see this video. They cut me out of the Making Of pretty ruthlessly because I think Konami didn't want to show that a non-employee did so much work on their game. But the directing I was doing there was a pretty good example of what each day was like (although in the case of the other actors, the direction came before scenes as opposed to during them.)

The women in the games really did an amazing job. Monica and Heather were absolutely fantastic. I can't say enough about them. Especially Monica, she just blew me away and I feel that way every time I replay a scene. But actors need a good script to do a good job, so I also have to pat myself on the back. You can't do a good job acting if the lines suck.

Oh wow, I didn't know you post around in Gaf! I loved your work in Silent Hill 2-4. It's a shame they cut you out of the Making of video, I've read your interviews and I can't believe they just cut you out right that. #FucKonami right?

I hope a more truthful representation of a making of Silent Hill 2 gets out sometime. I would love to see the creative process in creating a game like this.

And yes, I concur. Monica Horgan really pulled it out there as Mary/Maria. One of my favorite voice performances in gaming. Mary's letter never fails to make me teary-eyed. It's sad to think that she didn't seem to get any other roles after this if IMDB is to be believed.

Thanks for the awesome memories, man!

Oh wow, I didn't know you post around in Gaf! I loved your work in Silent Hill 2-4. It's a shame they cut you out of the Making of video, I've read your interviews and I can't believe they just cut you out right that. #FucKonami right?

I hope a more truthful representation of a making of Silent Hill 2 gets out sometime. I would love to see the creative process in creating a game like this.

And yes, I concur. Monica Horgan really pulled it out there as Mary/Maria. One of my favorite voice performances in gaming. Mary's letter never fails to make me teary-eyed. It's sad to think that she didn't seem to get any other roles after this if IMDB is to be believed.

I echo this sentiment.

You must be extremely proud to have contributed massively to this masterpiece -- and of course to the rest of the series.

I applaud and cherish the work you've done. You've certainly helped to make these games stand tall in the memory. Thank you.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Been wanting to replay it, but unsure of what difficulty to play it at. I played everything on hard last time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Been wanting to replay it, but unsure of what difficulty to play it at. I played everything on hard last time.

Did you know Silent Hill 2 has an "Extra" riddle difficulty? You need to beat Riddle difficulty on Easy, Normal, and Hard to unlock it though, then select hard for both combat and riddle once you've beaten riddle on easy, normal. and hard and you'll play "Extra" riddle difficulty, which does have additional changes in the puzzles and solutions.

Might be something to work towards.

Have you played on maximum riddle difficulty before?

Did you know Silent Hill 2 has an "Extra" riddle difficulty? You need to beat Riddle difficulty on Easy, Normal, and Hard to unlock it though, then select hard for both combat and riddle once you've beaten riddle on easy, normal. and hard and you'll play "Extra" riddle difficulty, which does have additional changes in the puzzles and solutions.

Might be something to work towards.

Yeesh I'd be down for it, but that sounds like a lot to do.

I consider Silent Hill 2 to be the greatest video game story ever told and the voice over direction is a huge part of that. Thank you for your work.

Props to Guy Cihi for sharing this too. It's so cool to see new BTS stuff still popping up.

yume_2501

All of you've done an amazing work, thank you very much for your contribution on the silent hill series :)

Damn dude, you're something special, and you was (unintentionally?) hilarious in that mo-cap video, a real shame they had to cut you out the making of (which I've seen over 50 times now). You contributed to many great Japanese games and even handled the English translations for other games I love like MGS1, how does that feel to this day? You're a part of my childhood, I grew up playing these games when they first came out and they helped me learn English better myself, and these games essentially changed my life forever, and I thank you for being a part of this!

Astral

"Hit him! Hit him!"

God I wish I could play this game again. While I appreciate the awesome PC guide for SH2 and 3 OT, it's just such a huge hassle for me and I hate playing games on my laptop. It'd kill for a PS2 on PS4 release. Also, Guy is the definitive James. I love Troy but he's not James Sunderland.

Shredderi

"Hit him! Hit him!"

God I wish I could play this game again. While I appreciate the awesome PC guide for SH2 and 3 OT, it's just such a huge hassle for me and I hate playing games on my laptop. It'd kill for a PS2 on PS4 release. Also, Guy is the definitive James. I love Troy but he's not James Sunderland.

Yep. Not about nostalgia either because I played this for the first time like two years ago. Guy just pulls the role off perfectly.

"Hit him! Hit him!"
It's funny that when Jeremy shouted that, the struggle of the girl wanting to hit Guy actually added to the scene in-game with how Laura doesn't want to hit James. Funny how simple words can dramatically change the emotional course of a scene!

You can always emulate the PS2 version if you're that desperate, it's fairly accurate to native hardware plus you get enhancements like higher resolution and widescreen.

Dude, you're like one of my heroes.

Thanks for your input on one of the best pieces of art ever pressed onto plastic.

This is amazing to see. Silent Hill 2 is truly a masterpiece, no other game makes me feel so emotional. Also just seeing those scenes again gives me goosebumps.

Greatest of all time horror videogame. I mean true horror unlike a lot of games that are meant to be in the genre. It had such an adult story and was way ahead of its time in that respect.

Shredderi

Yeah, kid yeller, translator of every shred of dialog and text in the SH2~4, VO director, mocap director, talent scout, etc.

Oh man! Must feel pretty good to know you had so much hand in one of the most well regarded horror games or just games of all time. You also seem to have had your fingers deep in all the aspects the game has been praised for.

Astral

It's funny that when Jeremy shouted that, the struggle of the girl wanting to hit Guy actually added to the scene in-game with how Laura doesn't want to hit James. Funny how simple words can dramatically change the emotional course of a scene!

You can always emulate the PS2 version if you're that desperate, it's fairly accurate to native hardware plus you get enhancements like higher resolution and widescreen.

That's true. The last time I tried an emulator I had a really shitty laptop but this one can play some games at medium. Hopefully it's enough.

anaron

I lost all respect for Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn after how she regarded Guy and the original voice cast. Dude is amazing for preserving the OG voices.

Such a bizarre position to have when you share the same occupation, too.

anaron

Amen. Monica Horgan's work was/is amazing.

KyleCross

I lost all respect for Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn after how she regarded Guy and the original voice cast. Dude is amazing for preserving the OG voices.

Such a bizarre position to have when you share the same occupation, too.

You can disagree with her opinions, but she is a fantastic talent that is worthy of respect from a talent standpoint. I'm unsure how a SH fan could not respect her with her performances in the various songs for the series which are so great.

Garlador

I say it, often and frequently, and believe it entirely...

If video games were an art museum, then Silent Hill 2 is its Mona Lisa.

It's one of the greatest video games ever made. A watershed moment in the whole industry. Something that transcends mere entertainment and reaches beyond immediate satisfaction to resonate inside people, shake them at their core, make them look into themselves and reflect on the type of people they are, the type of morals and ethics they hold true to themselves, and what impact they themselves have on others day in and day out.

This is a game of loss and sorrow, of love and grief, of innocence and pain, of hurt and longing, of redemption and sacrifice. In a sea of action-packed military shooters, set-piece driven adventure games stuffed with QTEs, focus-tested open worlds of junk collectibles and feature bloat, microtransactions, season passes, and games-by-checklist mentalities... We got this gem.

SH2_JamesCarryingMary%2528500x333%2529.gif

Terrifying. Sobering. Earnest. Sincere. Despondent. Hopeful. Forlorn. Violent. Serene. Mysterious. Calming. Distrubing. Thoughtful.

Everything about this game resonates with me across the years.

"...You made me happy."

A-V-B

Thank you so much, Jeremy. You were a part of something just... wonderfully special that made my childhood come to life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Bluestone

Neo Member
I say it, often and frequently, and believe it entirely...

If video games were an art museum, then Silent Hill 2 is its Mona Lisa.

It's one of the greatest video games ever made. A watershed moment in the whole industry. Something that transcends mere entertainment and reaches beyond immediate satisfaction to resonate inside people, shake them at their core, make them look into themselves and reflect on the type of people they are, the type of morals and ethics they hold true to themselves, and what impact they themselves have on others day in and day out.

This is a game of loss and sorrow, of love and grief, of innocence and pain, of hurt and longing, of redemption and sacrifice. In a sea of action-packed military shooters, set-piece driven adventure games stuffed with QTEs, focus-tested open worlds of junk collectibles and feature bloat, microtransactions, season passes, and games-by-checklist mentalities... We got this gem.

SH2_JamesCarryingMary%2528500x333%2529.gif

Terrifying. Sobering. Earnest. Sincere. Despondent. Hopeful. Forlorn. Violent. Serene. Mysterious. Calming. Distrubing. Thoughtful.

Everything about this game resonates with me across the years.

"...You made me happy."

I love this post. You said it beautifully and I totally agree. Last time I played the game, I remembered the sheer dread and constant anxiety and fear that you feel during the whole game. In a way, it is just NOT a fun experience, but I mean that in a good way if you understand me.

The game puts you in a dreadful place -and in that it IS like a great movie - it was unapologetic and unafraid of doing something that is NOT by all rights commercially appealing -it makes you feel bad. I admire so much the courage and vision behind it and I personally give so much credit to the the entire team, from Mr. Owaku's brilliant story to the music, to the character design, etc.

I was given so much room to put my own stamp on it through my translation, was given so much confidence by the team -and because I had written the English script, it was easy to direct because I knew exactly what I wanted and my great communication with the team meant that I knew what THEY wanted too. It was a great working relationship and I will go to my grave with nothing but the deepest sense of pride and gratitude to have been involved.

Bluestone

Neo Member
Damn dude, you're something special, and you was (unintentionally?) hilarious in that mo-cap video, a real shame they had to cut you out the making of (which I've seen over 50 times now). You contributed to many great Japanese games and even handled the English translations for other games I love like MGS1, how does that feel to this day? You're a part of my childhood, I grew up playing these games when they first came out and they helped me learn English better myself, and these games essentially changed my life forever, and I thank you for being a part of this!

How does it make me feel to have people like you pay me the most awesome compliment that anyone could ever possibly honor me with? That I changed their life? That I made their childhood better? --It makes me feel like a million dollars, it makes me feel humble, it makes me feel proud, it makes me glow like a lamp. All I can say is thank you with all humility, thank you for saying that.

PooBone

Ran out and bought the PS3 version of the SH HD collection after browsing this thread. It's not the best version of SH2 but I started playing through it again and the feels are all still there.

Top Bottom