• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Also, Tomm, if you're still viewing this thread, remember those SH3 dialogue changes we discussed in the thread the other night?

Yeah, about that...do you have an explanation on why the subtitles still have the old text? Because that is seriously some amateur hour shit.

KorrZ

Any reason in particular you are championing these turd stains?

I don't just blindly jump on the hate bandwagon for no reason. I've had nothing but a great experience with the HD Collection so far, loving Silent Hill 2 all over again. While I agree they're inferior to the PS2 versions and a "bad" port, certain people in this thread are DRASTICALLY overreacting. I see people saying "you're better off not playing these games at all than playing this port" which is absolutely 100% ludicrous. They just simply aren't that terrible.

MechaX

I was searching through some previous pages in the topic and came across this. Whoa. Just... whoa.

had to do it
i3Ph4CpiXrvX8.gif

... I'm strongly considering making another trip to the store tomorrow.

RagnarokX

I don't just blindly jump on the hate bandwagon for no reason. I've had nothing but a great experience with the HD Collection so far, loving Silent Hill 2 all over again. While I agree they're inferior to the PS2 versions and a "bad" port, certain people in this thread are DRASTICALLY overreacting. I see people saying "you're better off not playing these games at all than playing this port" which is absolutely 100% ludicrous. They just simply aren't that terrible.

You have low standards. The games should at least look as good as the originals. The games look WORSE than the originals. The selling point of an HD collection is the visuals. And since with SH2, more so than most other games, your first experience with it is super important, yes, it is a big deal. Newbies won't know what they're missing, and that's a travesty.

Take the boat trip across the lake, for example. That part had me on edge the whole time, especially after reading the memo about the Little Baroness and the dead people at the bottom of the lake. The lake of mercury completely removes that tension.

Also, I think you may be experiencing cognitive dissonance; you bought these games and are trying to justify the purchase by downplaying how bad they are.

Cudder

Bro, it's me and you against the world.

I'm starting to think that you need to start a new game to see the changes of the patch. I hadn't even booted the game up until the patch was released, so I came into it "fresh" with the patch, and literally the only problem I've encountered is the weird noise when you fire the handgun, and that's off and on.

KorrZ

You have low standards. The games should at least look as good as the originals. The games look WORSE than the originals. The selling point of an HD collection is the visuals. And since with SH2, more so than most other games, your first experience with it is super important, yes, it is a big deal. Newbies won't know what they're missing, and that's a travesty.

Take the boat trip across the lake, for example. That part had me on edge the whole time, especially after reading the memo about the Little Baroness and the dead people at the bottom of the lake. The lake of mercury completely removes that tension.

Also, I think you may be experiencing cognitive dissonance; you bought these games and are trying to justify the purchase by downplaying how bad they are.

I agree that your first experience with it is important, and this is a fine way to experience it. Nothing about this collection invalidates any part of the experience of these games. The terror is still there, the atmosphere is still there, the music is still there, and in the case of Silent Hill 2 so are the original voices. I've played about 5 hours of SH2 so far and love it. I'm also watching a Let's Play of the original PS2 version at the same time for comparison, and guess what...it's the same fucking game. The differences are seriously so damn negligible it's sad that people are blowing it out of proportion.

Sure, if you want the optimal "perfect" experience, play the PS2 games, but if you just want to experience the magic of Silent Hill without having to track down PS2/PC copies then this is a suitable replacement. People keep harping on the boat trip...wow a bad water texture, that seriously ruins the entire game?

If I have low standards just because I don't automatically hate everything NeoGAF declares a crusade against then well..I think I'm okay with that.

Bro, it's me and you against the world.

I'm starting to think that you need to start a new game to see the changes of the patch. I hadn't even booted the game up until the patch was released, so I came into it "fresh" with the patch, and literally the only problem I've encountered is the weird noise when you fire the handgun, and that's off and on.

I'm glad at least someone out there is with me, not forever alone! lol.

RagnarokX

I agree that your first experience with it is important, and this is a fine way to experience it. Nothing about this collection invalidates any part of the experience of these games. The terror is still there, the atmosphere is still there, the music is still there, and in the case of Silent Hill 2 so are the original voices. I've played about 5 hours of SH2 so far and love it. I'm also watching a Let's Play of the original PS2 version at the same time for comparison, and guess what...it's the same fucking game. The differences are seriously so damn negligible it's sad that people are blowing it out of proportion.

Sure, if you want the optimal "perfect" experience, play the PS2 games, but if you just want to experience the magic of Silent Hill without having to track down PS2/PC copies then this is a suitable replacement. People keep harping on the boat trip...wow a bad water texture, that seriously ruins the entire game?

If I have low standards just because I don't automatically hate everything NeoGAF declares a crusade against then well..I think I'm okay with that.

They aren't negligible. The new freshly paved road textures and fog effects are horrendous. Seriously, even SH1 had better fog effects. The sad thing is this is going to be people's first experience with SH2 and they'll think the games were this bad.

SH3 just totally crashed on me. Cool!

In the alternate hospital after the mirror room where the room gets bloody on Heather, I exited and went into another door.

Just like that, *poof*. Frozen. The music continued to play and I could pull up the 360 guide, but the game was definitely dead. I had to restart all the way back at the beginning of the hospital. And this game is installed to my HDD.

This fucking game is garbage. Don't buy it if you haven't.

KorrZ

They aren't negligible. The new freshly paved road textures and fog effects are horrendous. Seriously, even SH1 had better fog effects.

The fog is fine when you're just running around the town. Again, how does a bad texture ruin your entire enjoyment of a game? It's not optimal, but it's not at all game breaking or game ruining. It changes nothing about your overall experience with the game. I'm sure people who've never played the game before are going to go "Man, that road looks too freshly paved, what a piece of dog shit game, I'm not even going to go past the first 2 steps cause that ROAD texture man!" give me a break.

Nizz

This is disappointing. I hadn't played these Silent Hill games in years and the thought of playing them in an HD Collection re-release had me excited. But all the issues with the collection has changed my mind.

And wow, thread title downgraded to PS1 port :0

UrbanRats

The fog is fine when you're just running around the town. Again, how does a bad texture ruin your entire enjoyment of a game? It's not optimal, but it's not at all game breaking or game ruining. It changes nothing about your overall experience with the game. I'm sure people who've never played the game before are going to go "Man, that road looks too freshly paved, what a piece of dog shit game, I'm not even going to go past the first 2 steps cause that ROAD texture man!" give me a break.

Well you guys keep running in circle.
It's clear we have a very different opinion on how aggravating these problems are for the experience, fair enough.
Personally, i'll discourage anyone who'll ask me about this collection, simply because i think this is not a good way to experience these games AND if they absolutely must play them and absolutely can't get them any other way, to buy this piece of crap used, so Konami doesn't get a cent from it.
Konami must not make money out of this insult of a port job, in my opinion.
Other people are free to do and advice others however they prefer, which includes you, of course.

Silent Hill HD Collection: Shattered Memories
This should be the title, lol, pure genius.

Mzo

Watch the Zero Punctuation review of SH2, he's very honest about it. The VA sucks, the controls are just OK and from a gameplay standpoint, there's nothing special going on. The one thing that elevates this game is the atmosphere, which was fantastic. So yes, textures and fog effects matter more than they would in something like Jak and Daxter.

The argument for an HD version that doesn't look or run as well as the original version is ridiculous. It has failed in the one damn thing it was supposed to do. When you have HD collections like GoW, MGS, and ICO/SotC doing it right this is fully unacceptable.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
For those who completed SH3:HD, did they remove or retain the wall peeling/bleeding effects at the underpass/alternate church?

KorrZ

Watch the Zero Punctuation review of SH2, he's very honest about it. The VA sucks, the controls are just OK and from a gameplay standpoint, there's nothing special going on. The one thing that elevates this game is the atmosphere, which was fantastic. So yes, textures and fog effects matter more than they would in something like Jak and Daxter.

The argument for an HD version that doesn't look or run as well as the original version is ridiculous. It has failed in the one damn thing it was supposed to do. When you have HD collections like GoW, MGS, and ICO/SotC doing it right this is fully unacceptable.

That's the main point of my argument though. The atmosphere is still there. The atmosphere is more than just some textures and fog, it's the combined effort of the sound design, the music, the monsters and yes the darkness and fog. Just because some textures are subpar and there is less fog (The fog is still there) it doesn't ruin the combined feel of the atmosphere. Atmosphere is one of the most important aspects of a game to me, if it was really non-existent in this I wouldn't even be trying to defend it.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying this is an excellent port, I'm not saying that Konami didn't fuck up with this, I'm not saying it's excusable. What I am saying is, that it's still a fine way to experience these games. It's certainly not an abomination that people should avoid indefinitely even if it means never playing these games otherwise.

impact

Banned
That's the main point of my argument though. The atmosphere is still there. The atmosphere is more than just some textures and fog, it's the combined effort of the sound design, the music, the monsters and yes the darkness and fog. Just because some textures are subpar and there is less fog (The fog is still there) it doesn't ruin the combined feel of the atmosphere. Atmosphere is one of the most important aspects of a game to me, if it was really non-existent in this I wouldn't even be trying to defend it.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying this is an excellent port, I'm not saying that Konami didn't fuck up with this, I'm not saying it's excusable. What I am saying is, that it's still a fine way to experience these games. It's certainly not an abomination that people should avoid indefinitely even if it means never playing these games otherwise.

wat

Uh.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm not sure but I think they removed the wall peel effect in the Underpass in SH3. It's my first playthrough though.

Afrikan

I'm keeping my PS2 slim and 60gb Phat safe for a long time :(

one of my phats died, and I was about to sell my other Phat.....no sir e bob.

Buggy Loop

Well, i finally got SH 2 PC to run at 1920x1080, 32x AA, all effects max, no stability issues with win7 64.

The game looks gorgeous, this was way ahead of its time.

Levito

Banned
Just for clarification: Did anyone playing the PS3 version that also patched the game find that it fixed many problems? Or were the technical issues still present?

I've patched the game, and it's still has a wide range of performance issues, felt like the patch did nothing.

Just when I can't think this shit can get any worse, the SMG is bugged in SH3. Whenever you shoot it, it's just this deafening static. Even when Memory of Alessa uses it in the boss fight.

The hits keep on coming...

People always over react, part of the fun.

But to be fair it isn't exactly "blindly jumping on the hate bandwagon", you can clearly see the mess they have made of certain parts.

I love the silent hill series, but the actual game parts are all pretty crap. Without the brilliantly oppressive atmosphere that they created, it just isn't the same.

Nekofrog

Banned

ibhewyHU2bxPst.gif

That's all this is to you? A "bad water texture"? For all you spout off about atmosphere, this very gif shows you how the game has had its atmsohpere ripped from it and thrown into the trash.

KorrZ

ibhewyHU2bxPst.gif

That's all this is to you? A "bad water texture"? For all you spout off about atmosphere, this very gif shows you how the game has had its atmsohpere ripped from it and thrown into the trash.

5 minute boat segment with bad water texture

destroys entire atmosphere for 8+ hour game

Just making sure I'm reading you here.

I can't even bother to argue anymore, I think I've made my opinion clear. I'm enjoying myself playing these games again, at least.

I can't even bother to argue anymore, I think I've made my opinion clear. I'm enjoying myself playing these games again, at least.

If you are a previous SH fan and honestly can look at that water without feel something negative about it, then you need to donate your brain to science because you have a pretty special one.

Go listen to the bullshit that happens when you shoot the SMG in SH3 and tell me that doesn't destroy your atmosphere. Unless you also have some wild appreciation of deafening static that sounds nothing like bullets.

I got the UFO ending, and it seems that the music that plays while Heather explains what happened is missing. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm not sure if it's just my speakers/weird audio glitch or if they actually removed it. The "Silent Hill song" that plays during the credits is still intact, though.

I also noticed that when Heather is running very slow due to that horrible glitch, turning off the flashlight lets her run a little faster.

For those who completed SH3:HD, did they remove or retain the wall peeling/bleeding effects at the underpass/alternate church?

They're still there and terrifying. It makes hard mode even worse when Heather is doing her "Baywatch" impression while the environment is killing me softly.

Urgh, it seems like platting both is almost out of the question. I hate the less than 2 saves trophy.

It's actually pretty easy, well for Silent Hill 3 anyway. The hardest trophy for me in SH3 was the "kill 75 enemies with melee weapons" because we all know how bad melee is in these games, and I'm especially terrible at blocking. Also, I made it harder for myself by playing on the hard difficulty.

I think that only happened on repeat playthroughs, and it actually hurts to touch those walls. Maybe even only on higher difficulties?

Yeah it only happens on Extra New Game and the effect hurts you on the hard difficulty or higher. It's actually a very clever way of keeping replays somewhat fresh because what was once safe, is now even darker and deadlier. It's terrifying on its own, but throw in some monsters and you're literally running for your life.

One of the many things that made the old SH titles masterpieces is the perfection in execution.
There was nothing that detracted from the atmosphere, everything was believable. When I was playing those games I WAS in Silent Hill. No horror movie could ever match the experience that the old SH games gave. I remember being at the army and playing SH2 the first time with a few comrades in a darkened room. We had to stop playing at some point because nobody could take it anymore, we were collectively shitting our pants.

When you start thinking about tech problems while playing, this immersion is gone for me.
Shitty textures, out of sync VO, seeing unfinished parts, SFX bugs, missing effects... The list goes on. For shame Konami, and for shame the people excusing this. I don't even blame the poor outsourcing company. Konami is to blame for this. They wanted to have this as cheap as possible and that's what we go. On top they ruined the reputation of Hijinx studios, which I feel are only partly to blame. I'm sure the development was hell with the difficult PS2 architecture and a lot of the documentation probably lost or being in Japanese. This collection would have needed another 6 months of polishing at least...

Nekofrog

Banned

It's one example out of a myriad of atmosphere-destroying issues.

This just happens to be one of the biggest. The boat ride was one of the best experiences and build ups in the entire Silent Hill series. You knew where you were going but you had no idea what was going to happen. Everything that you had experienced, all the horror you had gone through, was about to culminate into something. You were going to get answers.

And the way the scene was set up just enhanced that feeling. Now look at it. LOOK AT IT.

RagnarokX

It's one example out of a myriad of atmosphere-destroying issues.

This just happens to be one of the biggest. The boat ride was one of the best experiences and build ups in the entire Silent Hill series. You knew where you were going but you had no idea what was going to happen. Everything that you had experienced, all the horror you had gone through, was about to culminate into something. You were going to get answers.

And the way the scene was set up just enhanced that feeling. Now look at it. LOOK AT IT.

It didn't hurt that they put this memo in the area before it:
Toluca Lake, the town's main
tourist attraction.
This clear, beautiful lake has
another side as well.

It may seem just like a typical
ghost story that you might find
in any number of old towns
across the country.
But in this case, the legend
is true.

On a fog-bound November day in
1918, the Little Baroness, a ship
filled with tourists, failed to return
to port.

A newspaper article from back
then simply says "It most likely
sunk for some reason". Despite
an extensive police search, not
a single fragment of the ship nor
any of the 14 bodies of
passengers or crew has ever
been recovered to this day.

In 1939, an even stranger incident
occurred.

[There are many pages torn out]

Many corpses rest at the bottom
of this lake. Their bony hands
reach up towards the boats that
pass overhead. Perhaps they
reach for their comrades?

I did not want to go boating.

And then they did this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWgfITxaHt4#t=15s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9nFTKCI8pc
:\

What the fuck... I was kinda looking forward to the HD remakes because I really wanted to experience the majesty of these Silent Hill masterpieces again. I was a little unsettled about the voice-acting fiasco a few months back but still remained positive; I thought "what the hell, aside from a couple of voices changed, surely they cannot fuck up the port that badly, right?". Well, it appears I stand corrected. I even heard some rumors that the Pyramid head rape scene has been removed, but to preserve my sanity I simply refuse to believe it.

First Capcom decides to shit on people with their DLC crap, and now this. Seriously, Fuck You Konami.

What the fuck... I was kinda looking forward to the HD remakes because I really wanted to experience the majesty of these Silent Hill masterpieces again. I was a little unsettled about the voice-acting fiasco a few months back but still remained positive; I thought "what the hell, aside from a couple of voices changed, surely they cannot fuck up the port that badly, right?". Well, it appears I stand corrected. I even heard some rumors that the Pyramid head rape scene has been removed, but to preserve my sanity I simply refuse to believe it.

First Capcom decides to shit on people with their DLC crap, and now this. Seriously, Fuck You Konami.

It wasn't that it was removed, but censored. However, it seems to have been a glitch which caused the video to skip several seconds into the cutscene. It's not any better, but at least they didn't do something that ridiculous.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I think this thread needs to tone down the hyperbole just a tad. If you're comparing the release of a video game to violent sexual assault, you need to take a walk and gain some perspective.

It's pretty clear that SH2 was the better treated of the bunch. I definitely think SH3 has lost enough of its effects, performance and details that it just shouldn't be played on this collection at all. I actually don't even really like SH3, but I always appreciated its visual prowess; unfortunately, a lot of that has been seriously undermined.

In indoor areas, with my TV settings tweaked, SH2 feels exactly as it should, and it looks good. It's only outdoors where it really falls apart, and that's a shame. I'm going to finish my playthrough of SH2 and hope for another patch along the way. I don't feel like owning a PS2 for a single game, even if it's one of my favourites.

I am interested in the PC version, though. Looking online reveals a North American release and a UK Director's Cut. Seeing how I'm in Canada, I can just get the NA version, yes? It will run in Windows 7 or 8? Is there a settings tweaking guide I should read?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Buggy Loop said:
The game looks gorgeous, this was way ahead of its time.
I wonder if it could be hacked to up the fog-density and do the soft shadows - it wasn't as bad as these ports, but PC SH2 was still lacking compared to the PS2 version.

I guess I'm lucky that I own Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4 for PS2 and also have a PS2 and CRT TV to play them on.

But damnit, I want trophies as well as a clean HD image.

I guess I'll just pop in Silent Hill 3 on the PS2 and see if going back to the HD version is a horrible mistake.

Top Bottom