• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silver Backed PS1 Games

Recently Square Enix's website was doing a black Friday sale that included some brand new PS1 games for $4.50. Hearing from folks that these were factory sealed I decided to order FF Chronicles, FF Origins, and Chrono Cross.

They arrived today and the seal on Origins looked pretty legit, but had no security sticker on top. The other 2 were cheap seals.

Chrono Trigger had a crack on the case so I opened it to find that everything inside did seem brand spanking new. Odd find though, as the game discs had silver backs instead of black. I haven't opened the other 2 yet.

A quick Google suggests a silver back means it's a fake, but would Square Enix directly sell fakes?

I swear I heard one time that the initial reason the CD backs were black, was because Sony got a great deal on a supplier that made the black disks, even cheaper than the silver.

Maybe they simply dont make the black disks anymore? Have you tried to play the game and did it work? I would assume if it is fake, it wouldn't work without having one of those little attachments on your PSOne
to play burned games.

The most recent printings of Square Enix PS1 games are silver backed. It's legit, no need to worry. May even be a rare variant someday.

vocab

I think the copy of FF8 I bought just for the case had the silver back. Ah well, its on my carpet collecting dust somewhere.

Top Bottom