• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Since the start of COVID-19, how has your financial situation changed?

Since COVID-19, how has your financial situation changed?

• My financial situation has improved

Votes: 72 50.0%
  • My financial situation has gotten worse

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • My financial situation has not really been impacted

Votes: 51 35.4%

• Total voters

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Better. I got a 1.60 raise. And I'm not paying 500 a month in gas anymore because I don't have to commute to work (working from home)

Kamina

Golden Boy
Clearly improved. At least something positive about this damn situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS
I know that NeoGAF isn't exactly representative of all people, but so far the poll results are as of this writing:

Improved 42
Unchanged 29
Worse 10

So almost 88% of people are unchanged or better off, and 12% are worse.
Surprisingly, a full 52% of people are actually doing better than they did before the pandemic.

KO7

Thought my job was safe since I work for one of the largest aviation suppliers in the world, but unfortunately found out they’re shutting our location down in a few months time. Since I’m not taking their offer to relocate to the other side of the country (with a paycut as a further insult to injury), I’ll be joining the unemployment line soon. Feels bad man.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Lost my job, getting social help, exploiting the social system like everyone is supposed to do otherwise it would be unbearable. :) For now i got like 7000 Euro in 3 months from the state for doing "further education" so at least i dont have to pay for that little distraction until Covid-19 is hopefully gone.

Getting now another 1500 Euro from an insurance that covers my study credit payback in case of unemployment... so for time being i let my insurance continue to pay my credit back. I cant do anything and i miss my wife but at least i can quite enjoy my time with The SIMS 4, the new Playstation 5 later and other thing while i dont have to pay my credit back myself.

Last edited:

Porcile

I was able to save more but I got fed up of being so frugal so I started to spend more on my personal interests recently.

Same, but I expect long term losses.

I work with a fairly random cross section of small businesses around the country. They're struggling. They maxed out the loans they can get and the owners of the companies are injecting their own savings and personal loans to keep the businesses afloat. This will flow through eventually. Another shutdown or other event would be catastrophic.

One client is a medical practice of heart surgeons. They've let a few surgeons go plus a number of support staff. People aren't seeing their doctors. There is no revenue.

A laboratory instrument company in business over 30 years is going under. They supplied instruments to NASA and a number of advanced medical instrument manufacturers. No revenue. Paying employees from savings. The owner would like to see but there are no buyers.

The retail and hospitality businesses have cut staff, cut pay, and the owners aren't paying themselves--everything is being put into the business.

A fairly large law firm, maybe 150 employees. No clients. No revenue. Partners paying staff from personal savings.

The list goes on and on.

I'll be fine. The nature of my business guarantees I'll have a job for a few years.

People who think we can just ride this out until some unknown circumstances are satisfied at an unknown time are delusional. At some point, the people who pay the bills will be better off cutting their losses and walking away.

Last edited:

silentsod

Neo Member
I had to replace the HVAC system in the house which marks me as a worse because that was a massive expense.

On a cash flow basis, improved because I stopped drinking and don’t spend money on gas.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Same, but I expect long term losses.

I work with a fairly random cross section of small businesses around the country. They're struggling. They maxed out the loans they can get and the owners of the companies are injecting their own savings and personal loans to keep the businesses afloat. This will flow through eventually. Another shutdown or other event would be catastrophic.

One client is a medical practice of heart surgeons. They've let a few surgeons go plus a number of support staff. People aren't seeing their doctors. There is no revenue.

A laboratory instrument company in business over 30 years is going under. They supplied instruments to NASA and a number of advanced medical instrument manufacturers. No revenue. Paying employees from savings. The owner would like to see but there are no buyers.

The retail and hospitality businesses have cut staff, cut pay, and the owners aren't paying themselves--everything is being put into the business.

A fairly large law firm, maybe 150 employees. No clients. No revenue. Partners paying staff from personal savings.

The list goes on and on.

I'll be fine. The nature of my business guarantees I'll have a job for a few years.

People who think we can just ride this out until some unknown circumstances are satisfied at an unknown time are delusional. At some point, the people who pay the bills will be better off cutting their losses and walking away.

Imagine that - a global, worldwide pandemic - and doctors are going bankrupt.

I suspect one reason why this whole nonsense has gone on as long as it has is because, quite frankly, for the people who make the decisions and write/talk about the decisions, not much has changed. So they are totally insulated from all the stuff you talk about, and they are totally incapable of looking around and seeing the destruction their policies have wrought for people who are not them and their friends.

Kenpachii

About the same as i sit in the transport sector which always moves forwards.

Friends of mine got fired tho and are all on welfare pretty much about now. As they are mostly teachers and some of them working in retail.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Improved massively.

Work was shut for 6 months and I got paid fully throughout, bills went down due to some companies being more lenient during lockdown with direct debits, sold more beats than ever before due to more wannabe rappers having time on their hands locked in their rooms and as a "bonus" for our hard work during the lockdown (I didn't work at all but all employees got this same bonus) we all got an additional £100-150 on our paycheque for October.

Garibaldi

Much better. Working from home has saved me a small fortune in fuel money (gone from dropping £160 a month into the motor to about that in 6 months). Got a great home office built up that's really comfortable. Had a couple of promotions too so I'm now circa 50% better off pay wise per annum than I was before. Overall, it's great.

Probably saved money now I can't piss it away on Friday nights out and clubbing tickets.

The downside I've got fatter. The dance floor was my gym.

Probably bought more Fortnite skins and dances then I needed though.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Worse. I'm going to be made redundant just before Christmas. Hopefully I'll find another job quickly. I'll stack shelves in a local supermarket in between jobs if that's what's needed to support my family.

DarkestHour

Banned
Okay, that's pretty fucked up. What sort of industry?

One that our executives have stated is back to "normal" and we're "crushing our competition". My guess is they're using this to permanently stop 401k matching completely. Over the past years they've moved our insurance to some ridiculously shitty plan and removed other benefits.

Last edited:
One that our executives have stated is back to "normal" and we're "crushing our competition". My guess is they're using this to permanently stop 401k matching completely. Over the past years they've moved our insurance to some ridiculously shitty plan and removed other benefits.

Sounds familiar. Raise was suspended and I took a 20% paycut for 3 months during a time in which my division is hitting record revenues and profits. Go figure.

Hydelol

Banned
Lost my job as a iOS developer working student in a big company, because all students contracts could not be renewed due to the german government.

Now I've been working at a former employer of mine for a big clothing retailer chain since august. And luckily I got a offer to write my bachelor thesis in a former colleague's start up, which pays more than my positio as iOS dev. So all in all my situation improved.

diffusionx

Gold Member

I have heard companies float taking away 401k matching for... a decade at this point. I wonder if it is on the agenda for "the great reset" in a big way.

Imagine that - a global, worldwide pandemic - and doctors are going bankrupt.

I suspect one reason why this whole nonsense has gone on as long as it has is because, quite frankly, for the people who make the decisions and write/talk about the decisions, not much has changed. So they are totally insulated from all the stuff you talk about, and they are totally incapable of looking around and seeing the destruction their policies have wrought for people who are not them and their friends.

Ruling class here (tories) are making a fortune off it.

All those billions spaffed up the wall on failed initiatives and plans are going to private companies somewhere.

Even with this vaccine, they'll drag it out for as long as possible. Guaranteed.

fatty

With cases going up and some places (Michigan, for example) going back to more lockdown measures, it is going to be interesting to see how the economy responds in this next stretch. Good luck to all.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Mine has stayed mostly the same. I have saved money by not spending as much on frivolous crap, but I have been buying take out more to try and keep local restaurants from going out of business, so its a wash.

That said if this shit gets worse I will probably be without a job in 2021.

Valonquar

Largely unaffected except for 2 factors:
1. Being home all the time has led to a lot of scheduling contractors to perform work we've been putting off forever. Redoing plumbing, tree service to cut down some dead limbs we were concerned about, redoing front sidewalk...the joys of home ownership.
2. The PS5 came out and between that, a few games, controller, headphones, charger, etc I am feeling the brokeness.

Last edited:

TheContact

I got hazard pay for about a month until the funds ran out (extra $40 a day). that was nice, but short lived. also got promoted at work but the raise wasn't much--about a dollar an hour, but the new title leaves me with way more room to grow than my last title. Overall, i'm doing much better despite the fact that my wife almost lost her small business (and still may if there's another shutdown bc of the way the coronavirus cases are spiking)

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Saving $800-900 per month on commuting and also eating out a lot less, so it's improved.

Loki

Count of Concision
JFC do you have a 3 hour commute or something?

No, but driving from NY to NJ is about $26 in tolls and $10-14 in gas every day round trip. Fortunately I make enough that it doesn't really matter, but it is of course nice to have that money in my pocket.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
No, but driving from NY to NJ is about $26 in tolls and $10-14 in gas every day round trip. Fortunately I make enough that it doesn't really matter, but it is of course nice to have that money in my pocket.

Ah, I forget that toll roads are a thing back East.

haxan7

Banned
Saved a lot of money quitting booze and cooking almost all my own meals, but then started buying tons of other shit so it balanced out.

TrainedRage

Banned
I don’t have to spend money on gas for work because I work from home. Also saving money due to not going out to lunch 5 times a week helps. I got a bit of hazard pay during the summer and my investments have been strong. Feeling pretty secure for now, wouldn’t mind more stimulus money but meh.

DESTROYA

Sucking dick under a bridge never goes out of business. Solid sale.

tXC0JxE.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
My wife had to mothball her small business (public speaking related), so she got unemployment and then found a WFH job that pays better than the small business did (albeit less fulfilling) so overall we are doing better.

It has actually been wonderful for me.

I have paid down almost all of my debts. I sold my house since the market was so strong. I can't complain at all.

Top Bottom