• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Singstar coming to PS4

dc89

Hi everyone! Here at SingStar HQ we’re really excited to announce some very big changes coming to SingStar this year.SingStar logo rgb

It’s hard to believe but SingStar is ten years old today and in that time we’ve sold a whopping 26 million copies, so thanks to all of you for your fantastic support over the years.

Over the last decade we’ve really tried to keep making your SingStar experience the very best possible, from launching the SingStore back in 2007 (even before the PlayStation Store), giving you instant access to the very best tracks online, to the wireless mics we released in 2009. And we don’t plan to stop any time soon.

We’re really pleased to announce that SingStar will be coming to PS4 later this year! Not only that but we will be launching a free SingStar app that will transform your smartphone into a microphone. That’s right, no more mics required!

The app works with both PS3 and PS4 versions of SingStar and is compatible with most iOS and Android smartphones and devices. The app will also let you create your own personal playlists.

We’re also working hard to optimise the social experience of SingStar, so we’re making it even easier to share the best bits (or epic fails) of your night on Twitter and Facebook straight from the game. With an improved scoring system you can also build up your XP and get rewarded for game activity, or challenge your mates online and entertain (or in some cases disturb) them with your renditions of your favourite songs.[

Later this year we will also be releasing SingStar: Ultimate Party on PS3 and PS4, which will host a collection of 30 epic tracks, which represents great value for anyone new to SingStar. The track list is looking great and we’ll be bringing you more news on that soon.

As ever you’ll be able to download tons more songs from the SingStore, and if you haven’t visited recently we have just added Bruno Mars and some classics from REM. We cater for all tastes on the SingStore from the latest Pop hits and Rock classics, to Hip Hop and RnB.

We’ll be sharing more details over the coming months so please keep an eye on PlayStation Blog. Over and out!

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/05/21/singstar-coming-soon-ps4-free-microphone-app/

Mic App:
14235421502_45024a83f9_z.jpg

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p9PX1Bm_9Q

fvng

The biggest oversight with Playstation Move was not integrating a microphone into it. It would have automatically given it more functionality and made the free Singstar app on PS3 something more people would have used.

Jonboy

Never played and probably won't get this, but putting the mic on smartphones is a brilliant move.

I'm so sick of extra accessories, dongles, and attachments.

I do hope you'll be able to redownload songs bought for the PS3 versions on the PS4 because I'd hate to lose access to that many songs. : /

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
This is definitely one of the better uses I've seen from using your phone as a 2nd screen. Really works well with the concept of Singstar too.

Also 26 million copies sold is nuts. I guess theres a reason they keep making them.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
I want the classic mic

Tsundere

Banned
You could use that logic for PS3 too, and you'd be wrong.

How could you use that logic for PS3 if PS3's UI was static?

The dynamic menu moves the most recently used apps to the front and everything else falls back. The only static one is the What's New area.

gcubed

singstar has the worst DRM management ever. If they arent going to change gameplay at all (which is sounds like they aren't, ugh) they need to allow purchases to carry over to the PS4.

If that doesn't happen, singstar is dead to me

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I do hope you'll be able to redownload songs bought for the PS3 versions on the PS4 because I'd hate to lose access to that many songs. : /

I have "semi-" permanently lost every singstar song I had due to this shit. Probably around $500+ in songs because I sold my OG 60GB PS3. Yes I know I can go through customer support to get that refunded or whatnot... but now I guess I'll wait and see what happens with PS4 licensing first.

singstar has the worst DRM management ever. If they arent going to change gameplay at all (which is sounds like they aren't, ugh) they need to allow purchases to carry over to the PS4.

If that doesn't happen, singstar is dead to me

basically this. yeah.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Buzz and Singstar games using smartphones as the peripherals is a stroke of genius.

Should be just an extension of the Playstation app for iOS and Android.

Windows Phone users, sorry, you're not allowed at this party yet.

Quentyn

Sony London studios? plis no.

Yes, but only a quarter of the studio is working on the game. They are working on other stuff as well.

Around 30 of the 120 people at Sony London are working on the new SingStar. Others are working on Sony's virtual reality headset Project Morpheus. Indeed Sony London created the Project Morpheus tech demo The Deep, which was unveiled at the Game Developers Conference earlier this year. It's also working on other Morpheus tech demos.

Sony London's experience with AR on EyeToy, EyePet and Wonderbook made VR the perfect natural step for the studio, Ranyard said.

"A lot of AR techniques translate to VR. It's not a leap. It's a step. So from a studio perspective it makes sense. But it's a different audience. We're doing a lot of tech demos for Morpheus. We'll see what happens. The studio is really excited though because it's just so hot."

Of course not everyone at Sony London is working on SingStar, or even Project Morpheus. Others are working on other, secret projects, although Ranyard won't say what.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-21-use-your-phone-as-a-mic-with-singstar-ps4

StuBurns

Banned
How could you use that logic for PS3 if PS3's UI was static?

The dynamic menu moves the most recently used apps to the front and everything else falls back. The only static one is the What's New area.
PS3 OS pushes games down if you don't play them, so it would be at the bottom, not the far right, but it doesn't affect Singstar, it's always at the top, as this could always be at the left for all you know.

Griss

Will this be a forced icon on the PS4 OS too?

First post nailing it. Was my first thought and only thought when I saw the title. All I know about Singstar is that fucking icon. I don't want to sing, Sony. I never will. But I'll always remember the Singstar OS experience.

Top Bottom