• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Tntnnbltn

Eggo said:
For sure picking up:
Pretenders - Brass in Pocket

Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It

Maybe getting:
Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now?
Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Doel said:
Blink-182 - I Miss You
Cheap Trick - I Want you to Want me
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train

I hope those make it to the Singstore^.
It seems like songs from recent disc releases don't make it to the SingStore. I guess Sony/London Studio don't want to cannibalise their own audience. :(

lupinko said:
Don't Fear the Reaper is already on the Singstore though, well the North American one anyway. :S

And I think Cherry Pie was already added onto the store IIRC (it's on the North American Vol. 1 PS3 BD as well).
Correct on both fronts, but those weren't the songs I would kill for. ;) There are quite a few hit songs by Australian artists in there (Silverchair, Grinspoon, Faker, Choirboys..) This and SingStar Party Hits have had the best localisation for Australia/New Zealand since SingStar Rocks! and SingStar Pop back in 2006.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
doh, completely missed this post the other day.. songs I'm looking at (imagine at least some are not going to make it.. sigh..)

Duran Duran - Save A Prayer (link)
En Vogue - 'My Lovin' (You’re Never Gonna Get It) (link)
Gorillaz - 19-2000 (link)
Men At Work - Who Can It Be Now (link)
New Order - Blue Monday 88 (link)
Pretenders - Brass In Pocket (link)
Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It (link) [SingStar Vol 1 track]
The Stranglers - Peaches

Not guaranteed to buy all of these, but they're ones I've heard of and at least mostly like (to love).

Best update so far since the NA release.

and that amped release kicks all sorts of ass. very nice. additions from the US amped (with bolded SORELY missing from US)

4 Non Blondes - What's Up
Choirboys - Run to Paradise
Divynls - Boys in Town
Faith No More – Evidence
Faker - This Heart Attack
Grinspoon - Chemical Heart
Judas Priest - Breaking the law
Kasabian - LSF
Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get
Regurgitator - Black Bugs
Robert Palmer - Addicted to love
Silverchair - The Greatest View
Skunk Anansie - Weak as I am
Soul Asylum - Runaway Train
Spiderbait - BLACKBETTY
The Cure - Primary
The Saints - I'm Stranded
The Subways - Rock & Roll Queen
Tonic - If You Could Only See
T-Rex - 20th Century Boy
Warrant - Cherry Pie

borghe

so apparently the news has been updated on Singstar Online saying that we won't be getting an update this week and that the next update will be on Aug 21st.

lol.... it's beginning to seem like the same beating we take every update on Virtual Console. sigh..

venne

borghe said:
so apparently the news has been updated on Singstar Online saying that we won't be getting an update this week and that the next update will be on Aug 21st.

lol.... it's beginning to seem like the same beating we take every update on Virtual Console. sigh..

WTF is this shit?

The US store is gimped as it is when it comes to content. I hope this does not become a trend.

borghe

venne said:
WTF is this shit?

The US store is gimped as it is when it comes to content. I hope this does not become a trend.
I REALLY have to wonder if this shit (both SS and VC) has to do with the weak dollar being both parent companies are foreign. With SS it isn't AS bad as we typically only lose one or two big releases an update (though usually the biggest releases). With VC it is horrendous with parity completely out the window with Japan and now even Europe. Being two systems from two completely independent companies one has to wonder WHY the US is getting such the shaft considering it's the biggest market. All that I can come back to is the super weak dollar.

Oh well, if it's true looks like I'm staying out of this thread for two weeks guys. Really have no interest in hearing about how much fun you're having with the new songs when we won't hear shit for two weeks. :(

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
borghe said:

Do you have a link? The Sony Europe forums have no mention of the update being pulled. Is this US only?

borghe said:
I REALLY have to wonder if this shit (both SS and VC) has to do with the weak dollar being both parent companies are foreign. With SS it isn't AS bad as we typically only lose one or two big releases an update (though usually the biggest releases). With VC it is horrendous with parity completely out the window with Japan and now even Europe. Being two systems from two completely independent companies one has to wonder WHY the US is getting such the shaft considering it's the biggest market. All that I can come back to is the super weak dollar.

Oh well, if it's true looks like I'm staying out of this thread for two weeks guys. Really have no interest in hearing about how much fun you're having with the new songs when we won't hear shit for two weeks. :(
I think it more has to do with SingStar having its popularity in Europe. It's still being quite a niche series in the U.S., which is why everything gets targeted for Europe first I think. And then what ever can be licensed in the NA without a problem, makes it over, while stuff that runs into an issue, won't get licensed in NA.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. It does so many things right, but then does so many things wrong at the same time. When I try to go into the Singstore when it's crowded, it freezes my system constantly. If that many people are accessing the Singstore, shouldn't Sony upgrade their servers, or find a better solution for handling the traffic than freezing a player's system?

Also, whoever is dropping the ball with the North American updates needs to be replaced immediately.

polg said:
I have a 100+ songs in Singstar PS3 :O
Snap. It's just far too easy to grab a few more tracks from the store. I dread to think how much I could have spent by now if Sony didn't have all those problems licensing tracks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tntnnbltn said:
And then pay with your European credit card registered to your legitimate European address.
:sigh:

Are there PSN cards in Europe yet?

If the songs were on the actual PSN store this would be cake.

Eggo said:
I have a love/hate relationship with this game. It does so many things right, but then does so many things wrong at the same time. When I try to go into the Singstore when it's crowded, it freezes my system constantly. If that many people are accessing the Singstore, shouldn't Sony upgrade their servers, or find a better solution for handling the traffic than freezing a player's system?

Also, whoever is dropping the ball with the North American updates needs to be replaced immediately.
Well, I had no problems with the SingStar store for a while, but over two weeks ago, I had issues getting on. Things are better now it seems.

From what I heard on the SingStar Facebook group (from someone who is apart of the SingStar team I guess), the SingStar team is split up into the U.K., Spain, Germany, etc. Each team's job is to handle song requests and try getting them licensed for each country. From what I believe, the U.K. team also handles NA (SCEA has no involvement in song selection). They get a group of songs together, and whatever gets cleared for licensing for NA, comes over, while songs that don't get cleared, get left out.

dallow_bg said:
:sigh:

Are there PSN cards in Europe yet?

If the songs were on the actual PSN store this would be cake.
Nope, part of it has to do with SCEE is trying to figure out how to handle currency and such, since many regions are different.

The issue is, some songs from the U.K. just don't clear licensing for the U.S. right away (which partially explains why we got Avril Lavigne Complicated in the U.S. later on, compared to Europe).

Meier

I bought these the first night I was able to play the game. :lol I'm sure I'm going to blow a lot of cash on this game... shame it doesn't do the process as well as Rock Band IMO. :\

Coffee & TV - Blur (SingStar) $1.49
Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors - Editors (SingStar) $1.49
Ordinary World - Duran Duran (SingStar) $1.49
Over My Head (Cable Car) - The Fray (SingStar) $1.49
Cosmic Girl - Jamiroquai (SingStar) $1.49
A Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers (SingStar) $1.49 (god awful chart... what a huge disappointment)
Dakota - Stereophonics (SingStar) $1.49
Beautiful Ones - Suede (SingStar) $1.49
Pass It On - The Coral (SingStar) $1.49
Dreaming Of You - The Coral (SingStar) $1.49

Meier

Tntnnbltn said:
It's that time of the month again... Here's the August 7 update for Europe and Australia.

Lots more text
How exactly does the licensing work... will these automatically be available on the American store too? We have some really amazing songs available that I never expected to see here in the US which makes this all very confusing for me.

I tried to register at the site to make a wish list, etc. and they didn't even seem to have an option for having the US version of the game.

Meier said:
How exactly does the licensing work... will these automatically be available on the American store too? We have some really amazing songs available that I never expected to see here in the US which makes this all very confusing for me.

I tried to register at the site to make a wish list, etc. and they didn't even seem to have an option for having the US version of the game.
There's pretty much no say from the U.S., so all I have to do is make requests for the U.K., and hope we get them too (SingStar Facebook group started a thread asking for suggestions).

polg

chickensoup said:
Snap. It's just far too easy to grab a few more tracks from the store. I dread to think how much I could have spent by now if Sony didn't have all those problems licensing tracks.

I've been buying songs since pal launch... and I've had friends over for drunken singstar at least 4 times. You have to keep the crowd happy!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tntnnbltn said:
No. Entropay won't work either.

I don't know how that would be any different. :\
Because then I'd could gameshare them.

I'd pay my non-SingStar playing European friend, he'd buy them on PSN, and I'd download them.

lupinko

93 songs in total in my Singstar, I guess that's like 63 songs bought off the Singstore since it's 30 songs on the disc?

Thanks Tntnnbltn again for letting me radio ga ga!

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
36 songs on disc (it includes the 6 medleys in the count)

Is that for all of them? I didn't think the NTSCU/C SingStar Vol. 1 had 36 songs to begin with. :lol

EDIT: Wait what medleys? Oh right, those.

lupinko said:
Is that for all of them? I didn't think the NTSCU/C SingStar Vol. 1 had 36 songs to begin with. :lol
The US disc definitely has 30 tracks on, not including medleys. And I'm guessing vol 2 will have another 30 when it comes out in a few months.

Tntnnbltn

dallow_bg said:
Because then I'd could gameshare them.

I'd pay my non-SingStar playing European friend, he'd buy them on PSN, and I'd download them.
You know, you're very close to discovering the solution to your own problem here. ;-)

Meier

So where is a good place for me to find out what new songs are on the US store (other than checking the game itself)? Uncharted dominated my gaming the past few days so I haven't checked the Singstore itself.

Tntnnbltn

Meier said:
So where is a good place for me to find out what new songs are on the US store (other than checking the game itself)? Uncharted dominated my gaming the past few days so I haven't checked the Singstore itself.
New US songs for August 7 2008:

No US updated this fortnight. Next update on the 21st

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tntnnbltn said:
You know, you're very close to discovering the solution to your own problem here. ;-)
I can't figure it out. :(
PM me please?

And oh! The songs I really wanted are on Singstar V.2!
Morrissey and The Libertines FTW! I'll be importing, so glad about no region locks.

Meier

Tntnnbltn said:
New US songs for August 7 2008:

No US updated this fortnight. Next update on the 21st
Wow, that's really disappointing. So the every 2 weeks doesn't apply to us as well? :( Still, a good, comprehensive page with information for the US version would be appreciated if anyone knows of one. The wiki page is not very good at distinguishing what's what...

Tntnnbltn

Meier said:
Wow, that's really disappointing. So the every 2 weeks doesn't apply to us as well? :( Still, a good, comprehensive page with information for the US version would be appreciated if anyone knows of one. The wiki page is not very good at distinguishing what's what...
It's not the official wikipedia page, but I've been maintaining a list of English songs at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tntnnbltn/SingStore

It should have everything you're looking for.

Tntnnbltn

dallow_bg said:
Great list!
Thanks. I want to upload it to the mainspace once I finish all the other languages, but who knows when I'll get around to doing those. The english songs took enough effort as it was.

borghe

so I've been working on a drinking game. It will work with either KR or SS. You could do this with RB also, but would need to use percentage instead of score for RB. You play it in psuedo rounds, to make sure that people are drinking at a good pace, but not necessarily after EVERY performance.

First person sings, everyone drinks
Second person sings, if he gets high score, everyone else drinks, if not he drinks
continue in this fashion until everyone has sang
next round starts with the lowest score from the previous round starting.

song selection rules:
no song can be repeated in the same round, no exception
a song can only be repeated by the same singer if they first BUY the repeat with two drinks (before they sing it). this is on top of the drink(s) at the end of the song.

because both KR and SS work with fixed max scores, this allows every song to be played equally. Rock Band has different caps for each song so you will need to do it from a % standpoint.

let me know what you think.

Tntnnbltn

Europe: English song update for August 21

• Billy Joel - "River of Dreams" (1993, Sony BMG. Youtube)
• Britney Spears - "Overprotected" (2001, Sony BMG. YouTube)
• Cheap Trick - "I Want You To Want Me" (1977, Sony BMG. YouTube)
• Daniel Powter - "Bad Day" (2005, Sony BMG in Europe / Warner in the US. Youtube)
• David Bowie - "Jean Genie" (1972, Sony BMG. YouTube)
• Evermore - "It's Too Late" (2004, Warner. Youtube)
• Five Star - "System Addict" (1985, RCA/Tent Recordings. Youtube)
• HIM - "And Love Said No" (2004, Warner. Youtube)
• Jamiroquai - "Alright" (1996, Sony BMG. Youtube)
• Jesus Jones - "Right Here, Right Now" (1991, EMI. Youtube)
• Levellers - "What A Beautiful Day" (Either 1997, Warner or the 2007 re-release, Eagle Records. Youtube)
• Panic! At The Disco - "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" (2006, Fueled by Ramen. Youtube)
• Sister Sledge - "He's The Greatest Dancer" (1979, Warner. Youtube)
• Tina Turner - "What's Love Got To Do With It?" (1984, EMI. Youtube)

Definites: Daniel Powter, Evermore, Panic at the Disco
Maybes: Tina Turner

MadFuzzy

Here are all the non-English songs for the same update:

In French:

• Amel Bent - "Tu N'es Plus Là"
• Bebé Lilly - "Les Cowboys"
• Neïman - "Viens"
• Soha - "Tourbillon"
• Soprano - "Ferme Les Yeux Et Imagine Toi"

In German:

• Jennifer Rostock - "Kopf Oder Zahl"
• Luka Neuser - "Zeit Für Helden"

In Italian:

• 883 - "Sei Un Mito"
• Max Pezzali - "Lo Strano Percorso"
• Vasco Rossi - "Siamo Soli"

In Spanish:

• Aerolíneas Federales - "No Me Beses En Los Labios"
• El Arrebato - "Duele"
• Jarabe de Palo - "Depende"
• Los Nikis - "El Imperio Contraataca"
• Melendi - "Caminando Por La Vida"
• Melendi - "Con La Luna Llena"

RedBoot

They had better give us the Bowie. They skipped out on the Weird Al song, they didn't even update on the week of the Gorillaz song, but if they withhold Bowie from me, well...I guess I'd be sad.

Top Bottom