• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS4 - where is it? Plus other worries.

glaurung

I am certain that I am not the only person on GAF who loved SingStar on PS2 and PS3. Surely there were others who enjoyed this awesome party game. If not for its excellent selection of tracks and pick up and play features, then at least as a drunken form of entertainment for all ages and creeds. The ability to sing was not required. It was a glorious time to spend an evening.

Earlier this year Sony announced that SingStar would be coming to PS4. They also announced the phone-as-a-microphone feature. Whereas this does not really impress me that much, I suppose it will have a huge impact for people who do not have a set of SingStar microphones, wired or wireless. But they will have a smartphone. Pretty much everyone does.

The SingStar official press release stated that they would release the game on a separate disc, with 30 new tracks and other new functionality. Their promised ETA was 2014.

But this is where the official statements run out.

Where is the game? There have been no updates. It is also highly unlikely that Sony would spend stage time on SingStar at places like GamesCom or Tokyo Game Show. Whatever announcements they intend to make, they can make those at any moment.

But for now, we are in the darkness.

There are other issues as well.

SingStore tracks. I personally have bought 80+ tracks from the SingStore. This has happened over the course of many years, but now I am worried that I might not be able to use these tracks with the new SingStar. Surely they'd want me to repurchase all of those tracks, all over again. Plus the fact that SingStar had some of the stupidest DRM features - locking your purchased tracks to your console and not your account. If you replaced your console and wanted to redownload the tracks, you had to call the Sony support line and have them do this by hand. Which sucked.

Other SingStar discs. Over the years they released many additional discs of tracks, all of which worked with the central application. Swap out the disc and the new tracks appeared playable in the SingStar game. Would this make a comeback in some manner? I for one would miss this.

TLDR: Where's the new SingStar game for PS4? What's with the silence?

Note: don't post whining shit like "No forced Dynamic Menu tile please" etc.

Tek

Speaking of karaoke, I noticed Xbox is removing their karaoke game in August. That makes me pretty sad as it was fun to pick it up every so often

I've got it preordered on Amazon for £22 but that's as much as I know, no release date.

My understanding is that songs purchased through the store will be available to download for free IF they are in the PS4 Singstar store. They have stated that we won't be able to use previous discs though. So in all honesty, it is seeming that the PS3 will be the best Singstar machine given the back catalogue of discs available cheaply for it.

Gamescom is in August and seeing as it's a London title, will get a lot more information then no doubt (doesn't have to have an on-stage presence, just be there for people to play and get info on). It'll be released at some point in September onwards, in time for Xmas. They'll clear everything up in due time. Patience dude, they only announced it in the back end of May. Plenty of time to go over the fine details, which they may be still finalising anyways.

glaurung

Gamescom is in August and seeing as it's a London title, will get a lot more information then no doubt (doesn't have to have an on-stage presence, just be there for people to play and get info on). It'll be released at some point in September onwards, in time for Xmas. They'll clear everything up in due time. Patience dude, they only announced it in the back end of May. Plenty of time to go over the fine details, which they may be still finalising anyways.
Cool.

And I hope that I can redownload my old tracks without having to jump through some retarded new hoops.

I'm secretly hoping it will come with something similar to what SingOn did and offer a monthly/yearly pass to the whole catalogue, if they price it right I will bite on that. Between £40-50 for a year of sing whatever I want and I'm sold.

Ramrock

Banned
I

Where is the game? There have been no updates. It is also highly unlikely that Sony would spend stage time on SingStar at places like GamesCom or Tokyo Game Show. Whatever announcements they intend to make, they can make those at any moment.

But for now, we are in the darkness. .
Why is it ~highly unlikely~?
That's exactly what's going to happen, because it makes totally sense.
SingStar is huge in europe and we already had SingStar announcements in the past at Gamescom. So....?
Wait for Gamescom.

Maulik

I believe they confirmed that all song downloads would be compatible with the ps4. I too am waiting for Gamescom as that game has single handily made every party I have thrown a thousand times better.

I loved SingStar on PS3! Had some good times back in college. I'll be excited for the new one for old time's sake & always enjoy karaoke.

Top Bottom