• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar Ultimate Party is a piece of garbage. WTF SCEE London / SCEWWS

Yeah it's a pretty poor showing.

Not noticed any crashes with the PS4 version but the PS3 app certainly crashes far too often!

Other issues are all which you've already mentioned, you can import some of your songs but not all, the store hasn't been updated since it launched as far as I'm aware now.

Smartphone app is next to useless.

Cannot play online against others anymore, only send people your score to beat (one decent function here is that scoreboards are cross platform PS3/4)

XP system seems pointless, nothing gained from them, unless they are going to add something to that later on.

But yeah right now it's turd, simple as that and the PS3 remains the Singstar machine of choice. Whilst the older disc versions no longer have online enabled, that function is missing now anyway so no loss, plus has the added bonus of not crashing every 2-3 songs.

Piccoro

Just remembered another removed feature:

The old app had Vita and PSP Remote Play. You could connect your Vita/PSP to your PS3 and manage playlists.
That was removed in the new PS3 app.

Just remembered another removed feature:

The old app had Vita and PSP Remote Play. You could connect your Vita/PSP to your PS3 and manage playlists.
That was removed in the new PS3 app.

Yeah playlists can be done via the remote application, but yes Vita/PSP use got scrapped.

DarkOneX

Bought? It showed up free for me on PSN and downloaded it last week, and was able to import all my PS3 songs and use them too. It did NOT include any music with it. So I'm assuming there is a retail one to buy that has songs?

I must be playing a different game, or the PS4 version is really different from the PS3 version.

This was my initial response to the Eurogamer 2/10 review:

Ellie, you really should stop doing reviews with scores. Writing a hate article is fine, but it doesn't need a score. This is ridiculous.

I played the game, using only the free download, and getting some of the songs that I had bought on PS3. I tried it with the PS Camera, my iPhone with the App, and all worked fine. I also have a nice external microphone for my iPhone for recording live music (I play in a band) and that all worked really great too. In all cases, the new accurate pitch-line in the score-bands gave me very precise feedback on how well I was keeping tone. My wife is thrilled, as thus far I've always used the wired mics over all these years, and he hates wires.

While we're on the subject of accuracy, you simply have the option to change the name of a user when they entered the score-list. Score one for efficiency, but you just missed that. Blame Sony for licencing issues? Sure, the industry has such a great track-record, why believe they would be difficult about this.

I was also pleased to see that the game finally wisened up to a single difficulty level that instead just rates how precise you were and gives you more points for that.

And this is only from playing the game for two-three songs with my son. I haven't looked into whether the party modes are really gone (could be, would be a shame, but then they may have thought that pass the mic was no longer necessary since everyone could use their own phone). I did only try the PS4 version though - who knows the PS3 version is much worse?

On second thought - don't retire, do Just Dance 2015 next. You'd love it, it even supports the Move as well as phones and the PS camera.

Why not? It's a reasonably big release. Just because it doesn't market to the 'core gamer' demographic doesn't mean that they can release this.

Well to be fair no one ever really used these types of games as a good judge of output. The Kinect Xbox stuff and the Buzz, Singstar stuff has always sort of been treated like a separate studio division to most.

7PjvUJ6.jpg

It must finally be time for the petition we've all been waiting for. WWS and Shu will pay for this.

Amir0x

Banned
Fucking hell, feel bad for Singstar fans. Sony needs to get on the ball with their developers lately. Been some huge misses from this group. I hope this doesn't continue to be a trend.

I found using a smart phone magical once I got it going. No more crappy peripherals lying around. The menu is one of those terrible looks good in screenshots but is maddening to navigate. It took me a while to just figure out how to buy a song and play it. Once you get going it works well with a phone. I don't understand "piece of garbage".

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
- The songs you bought digitally on the PS3? You can't use them! (maybe they fixed it by now)

The vast majority are available for re-download. The others will probably be dependent on them re-negotiating for a new format. I have about 80 tracks from the PS3 version working perfectly well, only about 8 don't.

I'm pretty sure other games had similar issues but made their customers pay to use them on a new version of the game (on the same system).

Overall I have been really enjoying Singstar on PS4, I don't have 8 people parties (4 people usually) and we just do 2v2 so that is not an issue for me and also I just use my PS3 mics so can't comment on the app, but I commend them for lowering the bar to entry.

I like the fact that SignStar is now a platform and I'm sure features will be added over time. I definitely got the value out of my £0.00 'purchase' back within minutes. I understand people purchasing a disc may feel differently, but they could have tried the free version on a pay-per-track basis.

Shinriji

The vast majority are available for re-download. The others will probably be dependent on them re-negotiating for a new format. I have about 80 tracks from the PS3 version working perfectly well, only about 8 don't.

You got lucky then. I have 120 songs, but only 25-30 of them transfered for the PS4.

DCS

Banned
Well, I had about 40 songs purchased from the PS3 era.

So far, I have been able to transfer less than 20 songs from my PS3 purchase history over to PS4. And to add insult to injury, they are definitely my less popular tracks. SingStar developers have offered no timeline, no roadmap as to when the rest will be available for transfer.

The removal of game modes is also a very poor step on their behalf.

As of 2 weeks since the new SingStar launched, the SingStore is still a total mess.

Someone from the singstar.com forums said that there is some manner of a workaround and that you can actually re-download any SingStore songs with a weird "hack". Surely his comment was deleted and I have not tried it out myself, but it was something like:
  1. Load up SingStar.
  2. Go to My Songs or whereever you do the downloading from.
  3. Tap the PS home button and load up PSN Store.
  4. Manually search for any SingStore song. Open any such song's store page.
  5. Tap back to SingStar.
  6. All your purchased songs should now appear in the transfer listing.
Though I expect they've patched it by now.

If anybody finds out how to get this to work do post here...

Endo Punk

Never played Singstar due to the barrier on PS2 and PS3. The free download and the singstar app, figured I'd buy a song or 2 and enjoy with friends. Twas alright, just spent £4 at most and had a laugh for a an hour. Can't imagine why anyone would buy the disc release when there is a free download.

Bought the game ; tried to play it 5 times, each time ending with a freeze of the game on the song selection screen.
Never been able to sing, it's incredible how shitty this game can be when they have 10 years of Singstar history behind them, and that's coming from a huge fan of the franchise.

Agreed.

Wtf is going on with Sony atm.

Killzone
TLOU/R
DriveClub

Online issues
Psn security issues

This is not good enough. Smh in disgust.

To add this game, a game that surely is so simple to get right, ESPECIALLY taking into account years of experience with this particular franchise is a fucking insult. Fuck you Sony For The Players...

Damn I'm mad...

Returners

My 100-ish song library came over with about 80.

The main songs are there.

EU has it good I tell ya. NA didn't get a disc release at all with new songs.

Maloney

I downloaded the free version the other day and I must admit I was left disappointed.

My wife and I gave it a try and used our phones as mics. I have wired mics stashed away somewhere but I thought 'why not give it a try?'.

Here's my gripes:
  • The pitch bar seemed out of sync with the video.
  • Every time our phones went to sleep we had to reconnect.
  • When you reconnect your phone, invariably we swapped colours (even if only one phone had gone to sleep)
  • You can't load up any PS3 discs (at least with the PS3 you could put in your PS2 discs and play the songs).
  • Some weird issue where a song started with no mics and went a bit haywire (admittedly, I was a bit drunk and confused lol).
  • Limited amount of songs (by this I mean songs from previous releases arent available for download).

I was really disappointed to not be able to use my back catalogue. I was kind of hoping it would let me upload the tracks from the previous discs I suppose.
The mics I can deal with, as I can dig out my wireless set. But then if I get them out, I might as well hook up the PS3 - at least I will be able to use my PS2 discs then.

Such a shame =(

gruenel

Agreed.

Wtf is going on with Sony atm.

Killzone
TLOU/R
DriveClub

Online issues
Psn security issues

This is not good enough. Smh in disgust.

To add this game, a game that surely is so simple to get right, ESPECIALLY taking into account years of experience with this particular franchise is a fucking insult. Fuck you Sony For The Players...

Damn I'm mad...

What's wrong with TLOU?

Jimrpg

Singstar has been on its way down for a while. God for bid if your Playstation crashes.

Don't get me wrong, I love Singstar, but throw me a bone.

The way singstar has been treated has been nothing short of disgusting. I've got over 100 pieces of DLC for the ps3 version, more than any other gamer game so I consider myself a huge fan.

There was once a time where they released decent songs every fortnight but then they stopped releasing decent stuff and been feeding us absolute trash that no body's heard of.

They've been cheapening out on the fans getting cheap to license songs rather than getting good stuff.

Toki767

I was really hoping they'd start updating the Singstore again now that they put out a new game, but nope. Almost a month later and not a single update.

While pretty much all of these issues can be addressed in patches, yes it seems like this game really wasn't ready to come out of the oven yet. The library is pretty sparse (though I was able to download about 60 of my old songs), the lag is considerable, the volume on player's mics is so low one can hardly hear oneself, and there are missing game modes.

Again, this can all be fixed, but it's disappointing that a game launches with this many missing pieces. Hoping for a significant patch soon, because Singstar can be a blast when it's working.

Xav

inFamous Second Son/Resogun aside, it looks like Sony's first party offerings on PS4 continue to be shit.

Please save us from the mediocrity Naughty Dog.

God help us if Nintendo or MS catches up! I won't survive such a thing!

What's wrong with that? Nintendo has been in a league of their own in 2014 and Microsoft have gone a long way into undoing the initial disaster that was Xbox One.

nampad

Wow, really surprised they fucked up Singstar. How could this happen?
They had so much experience pumping out Singstar after Singstar in Europe.

Percy

Banned
What's wrong with TLOU?

Besides some censorship in the multiplayer in Europe, not a thing.

He probably needed a third game to list and just put on the first one he could think of there. It's strange, because Knack would usually be the go-to punching bag after Killzone I'd have thought.

What's wrong with that? Nintendo has been in a league of their own in 2014 and Microsoft have gone a long way into undoing the initial disaster that was Xbox One.

Agree on Nintendo, but MS hasn't exactly been on fire either imo. I personally wouldn't say the gaming industry of changing your pants after shitting yourself is something that deserves to be 'rewarded' somehow with success.

Nintendo are pretty much the only ones that have deserved any real success after this year, but what do they get instead? Least successful console.

Fuck this business.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hey look on the bright side, maybe it'll mean Studio London will make more than strictly singstar now.

Yeah, if by being closed and moving to other developers count.

Up until last gen Sony was amazing for UK development. Then they killed SCEE Liverpool, almost killed Evolution and decinated London and Cambridge.

I can't blame the devs for this as much as Sony for letting this all happen. It's a shame too as the Singstar games were properly good too until now.

Please Sony, stop treating your UK studios like shit :(

hodgy100

If Rock Band came to PS4 I would not expect all the tracks I bought to work on it because of many reasons, new engines but more importantly licensing issues.

As for everything else, well, it is probably why we haven't heard practically anything about the game - I did not even know it released.

I on the other hand would not buy a rockband sequel if my old dlc does not work, ive sunk al ot of money into the game, and stickingto my PS3 would be better than loosing all that dlc.

Release broken game and then proceed to patch until it's good? That's the new trend I guess. Meh most people won't care if it's a free download tho. All the features can be added, weird to rush it to the market in this state tho.

MadFuzzy

Looks like they are going to try and fix the game over the next month or so (including missing features) according to their latest Facebook post:

First of all, we'd like thank you for all of your feedback on SingStar Ultimate Party since launch. We're sorry that we may not have met your expectations from day one, but the in-depth information you have provided has helped us a lot with our investigations, so we can keep making improvements.

The team have been busy working on fixes for the past few weeks and we will be releasing an update today. This will improve game stability on PS3 and PS4 platforms, wired microphone performance and volume increase in voice playback, as well as fixing some other small bugs.

We know that this only addresses some of the issues reported, but the team is dedicated to continuing to improve the SingStar experience not only in this launch window, but in the many weeks and months to come. This is why we are already working on a second update which we'll release sometime in December where we're planning not only improvements, but to bring back some of your most asked for features.

On another note, we will be updating the SingStore tomorrow with brand new songs and song packs on both platforms plus, more songs will be available for transfer to your PS4s. For a detailed list simply head to our website here: http://bit.ly/1vib2mF

Thanks for your support. We'll keep you posted.

Your SingStar Team

Release broken game and then proceed to patch until it's good? That's the new trend I guess. Meh most people won't care if it's a free download tho. All the features can be added, weird to rush it to the market in this state tho.

They might view it as a testing period for this kind of game leading up to Christmas. Need to get it sorted, Singstar's a big deal in the Euro market.

I can see the let down for long term fans, but my kids have had an absolute blast with it.

Personally, I haven't seen any stability problems and the phones have been working just fine. By and large they can pick a song and sing and just enjoy themselves so it is far from a broken game.

That isn't to say some people don't need an 8 player mode... but I don't see it as a terrible purchase. It is more "it is what it is" right now and if you just want to sing some songs it'll do the job.

Top Bottom