• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones' ship boarding vs Black Flag's

Cyberpunkd

So UbiSoft took the ship combat part of Black Flag and spent 11 years making it worse.
Can't have fillers like ship combat if it detracts from loot and potentially selling you MTX to boost said loot.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

Last edited:

Bond007

The way i see it. One game focuses on NAVAL BATTLES.
The other focuses on COMBAT.

Two games born of the same mother but with different goals.
I understand it's a pirate game- but not all pirate games need to do the same thing. Bones just so happens to focus on Boat shit. Black flag still looks incredible thats for sure.
If you did all that AC boarding in Bones you would be a sitting duck. Bones offers a way to quickly "board" and loot and get back on the seas - You know, the whole point of this game.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Holy fuck man I forgot how atmospheric Black Flag is.

£10.99 at the moment, might have to replay it. Really cool game.
It is, but ultimately I remember it does get to feel shallow and almost arcadey after a while. I'd love to have ship combat that actually uses proper wind directional physics movement. In short, something with a lot more depth, but as easily accessible would be great. Imagine having ships that dont move around like self propelled speedboats.

MrRibeye

If you did all that AC boarding in Bones you would be a sitting duck. Bones offers a way to quickly "board" and loot and get back on the seas.

That would be AMAZING so much fun imagine a 3rd player finding you guys in that situation quarreling. Suddenly foe is friend. It's THE reason why people loved the Dark Zone in the Division 1.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If only there were some clear, defining difference between the two games. . .

Also the below.

I understand it's a pirate game- but not all pirate games need to do the same thing. Bones just so happens to focus on Boat shit. Black flag still looks incredible thats for sure.
If you did all that AC boarding in Bones you would be a sitting duck. Bones offers a way to quickly "board" and loot and get back on the seas.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Although i agree with the OP, this is the whole Starfield vs NMS/Star Citizen nonsense again.
Just because those games were all set in space, it doesnt mean they are trying to do the same thing. And likewise just because these 2 games are pirate games, it doesnt mean they are trying to do exactly the same thing.

Skull and Bones, if you played the beta, will know its more about the shp, ship battles, upgrading the ship, MP battles etc, while Black Flag is basically a pirate rpg set in the AC universe.

They are not trying to do the same things.

Bond007

Which is a shame because they advertised it as a pirate game. Pirates are people, not ships.

So because its focusing on the naval aspect of pirating- its not a pirate game?
All pirate games require hand to hand combat?

Pirate ships are very much one of the central aspect of pirates....

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Last edited:
Every type of transition in this game is a black screen, ship boarding, opening a door, getting on and off your ship, etc. The funny thing is, that’s not even the reason why this game is so trash.

IDappa

Coming from the guys who made ac black flag there’s an expectation that this would be a progression of the formula and not a regression. That’s where the disconnect lies with people.

People use the excuse that it focuses on naval battles and that this is done to quicken boarding because of multi. Those points don’t hold water when you have games like sea of thieves that are primarily focused on multi with ship to ship and hand to hand combat. Then you look at black flag which also has ship combat elements. All they needed to do was expand on what they had done already (maybe a few tweaks to combat for balance) and this thing would be a massive hit.

The way they have made this game screams uninspired and it looks like they took the easy way out. Which is funny since it’s taken them so long to make. Mainly due to reception

Last edited:

Alebrije

Although i agree with the OP, this is the whole Starfield vs NMS/Star Citizen nonsense again.
Just because those games were all set in space, it doesnt mean they are trying to do the same thing. And likewise just because these 2 games are pirate games, it doesnt mean they are trying to do exactly the same thing.

Skull and Bones, if you played the beta, will know its more about the shp, ship battles, upgrading the ship, MP battles etc, while Black Flag is basically a pirate rpg set in the AC universe.

On Skulls and Bones the main character is the ship...if the name was called " Skulls and Bones:pirate ships simulador" the name would make sence.

The problem is asking 70 US for a ship simulador.

TwinB242

I don't care for Skull and Bones but this is a silly comparison. Black Flag is supposed to be cinematic and has a focus on melee combat. Skull and Bones is entirely focused on ship combat. Completely different design goals.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I assume the NHL hockey game that releases soon you won’t be a player scoring goals, you’ll be the Zamboni on the ice. Could be a blast, every time you smooth the ice at the end of the rink there is an NPC that can help you upgrade your boni too smooth it out faster. But, you don’t get to see you smoothing the ice, it’s just a quick cutscene.

Then you can buy micro transactions to change the color of your boni for 10 dollars and even a free color if you spend 60 dollars on their “ICE” coins (that’s currency for the boni). It isn’t pay to win though, as all that real money you spend doesn’t help you smooth out the ice any faster.

I cannot wait to play this new hockey game.

El Muerto

I really don't understand how games are just getting worse. It's almost night and day with the AC4 comparison. The physics and graphics just look much worse compared to AC:BF. Gameplay looks more shallow as well.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm surprised how good Black Flag looks. I think I own it but never played it.

I just looked and every AC game got a 60fps patch on Xbox! This is great news!

...except two of them. And one of those two is Black Flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

MayauMiao

There goes any interest I had with this game. The ship boarding fights is part if the reason why I love Black Flag. A pirate game is nothing without ships, swords and guns.

If I wanted only Naval Battles, I might as well play World of Warships.

I watched a development video about this game. Basically it was sponsored by Singaporean company, and that company wanted their cash return so they wouldnt let them cancel the game. Which explains why a half-assed product got released just to please the higher ups. Id say this is the same situation as CP2077 being rushed to makret.

• Thoughtful

If you did all that AC boarding in Bones you would be a sitting duck. Bones offers a way to quickly "board" and loot and get back on the seas - You know, the whole point of this game.

The absolute fuck.

Boarding actions are as essential to this periods naval warfare as round shot and gunpowder. The whole point is to size the ship and it's silver first, and sink as a last resort.

RickSanchez

I don't care for Skull and Bones but this is a silly comparison. Black Flag is supposed to be cinematic and has a focus on melee combat. Skull and Bones is entirely focused on ship combat. Completely different design goals.

This is the problem people are having: Why do these goals/designs (ship combat and melee combat) have to exist separately, in separate games ? AC Black Flag did both, and did both well. You could choose to blow another ship out of the water from far away or get close, actually board it, and actually fight the other crew for control of their ship. There is no excuse for a game coming out 11 years later (and being dubbed by company executives as a AAAA game) to not be able to do multiple things like ship combat AND proper boarding and melee combat. Stop making excuses for big corporations who want you to get used to not owning your purchased games. For fuck's sake

Top Bottom