• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skull & Bones' ship boarding vs Black Flag's

skit_data

This game looks to be the second time this year we'll ask

"Wtf have you guys been doing all these years?"

I've heard some hopeful optimism around this from friends but to me this seems to be another Suicide Squad. It's almost painful to think of all the dev time and talent thrown at these games which such mediocre results.

Edit: Oh, I didn't know reviews were up. Yeah, Suicide Squad 2.0 indeed.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
"Wtf have you guys been doing all these years?"

Making a game. Being told by executives to change the game to make it easier to keep charging stupid gamers to play the game. Strip out loads of content to sell to the stupid gamers at a later date. With a few complete restarts here and there probably, because the executives thought it would be too expensive to make.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Making a game. Being told by executives to change the game to make it easier to keep charging stupid gamers to play the game. Strip out loads of content to sell to the stupid gamers at a later date. With a few complete restarts here and there probably, because the executives thought it would be too expensive to make.

It is absolutely wild to me that they had the blueprint for a great pirate game already and still botched it this badly. They have the actual game! Black Flag is theirs! It wouldn't even be stealing an idea or concept because Black Flag is their own fucking game! All they had to do is lift the pirate mechanics from that game and put it in here, and they still fucked it up.

1. Can't board other ships
2. No hand to hand combat, swordfighting or gunfights
3. Can't swim, lmao. A sailing game where you can't swim
4. Can't explore islands, can't even beach the ship, it just bumps into an invisible wall
5. Resource gathering could've been great but they made it a quick time event minigame
6. No seamless transition from sea to land. What is this, 2008?
7. No minigames like casual fishing, drinking or doing games with your crew
8. Raiding towns is literally a cutscene where your men have all the fun pillaging while you stay behind in the ship for some retarded wave defense

How the fuck did this happen? There were like 20 Ubi studios working on this, how in the hell did no one send Yves a mail with a gameplay clip from Black Flag saying "listen dude, al LOT of people liked this, at the bare minimum we should probably just, you know.. copy-paste those systems and mechanics and build from there".

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Everytime i have the desire to try black flag i always check the gameplay just to remember that the only good thing about the game is the pirate theme but combat and mission/open world structure/ are still dogshit like most ac games.

IT looks better than skull and bones tho, i give you that.

Started playing again Black Flag. The affective tone of it is still fucking awesome but I wished it had a 60fps patch on consoles.

Top Bottom