• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls- New Characters, Painwheel and Valentine, Announced [Full Roster Revealed]

I would love it if Valentine had a Haruko colour palette.

jnHap.jpg

Masaki_

We're a small indie studio - we can't ship three platforms at once, and PC is the hardest to test and arguably the least profitable. But in the end, it's not even up to us.

That's definitely arguable. Recent indie games have been doing much better on the PC, you just have to show some love. Which means..

If we do the PC version, though, there should be some nice enhancements...

Is a step in the right direction, especially if one of those is free replay sharing a la Starcraft II.

Ravidrath

That's definitely arguable. Recent indie games have been doing much better on the PC, you just have to show some love. Which means..

Hence me saying it was arguable!

And while a number of indie games do very well on Steam, none of them are fighting games. There really isn't much of an established market for fighting games on PC compared to on consoles, which I'd imagine is another factor in why things were prioritized this way. While a decent number of people play fighting games on PC, they're all free emulated versions.

Also, the stories about indie games doing better on Steam are a bit anecdotal - there really isn't any hard data on digital sales out there, just the occasional developer saying "our game did better on Steam!" There are likely a number of developers who haven't done better, and didn't announce that. So until Steam, PSN and XBLA start making sales data publicly available ala NPD so we can directly compare dollar amounts, this is all really just conjecture. And companies rarely want to commit hundreds of thousands of development dollars based on conjecture.

This is all moot, though - it wasn't our choice, and given the resources available, Autumn felt it was better to release the console versions first rather than delay all three. Given the choice, I think we would've done the same, and so would our fans.

Is a step in the right direction, especially if one of those is free replay sharing a la Starcraft II.

It won't make the initial launch, but all versions of the game should get YouTube replay uploads in a future update. So that definitely won't be a PC exclusive.

Tizoc

@lazybones- Her parents must've been *gulp*
DENTISTS!

Cool so we can expect it by Spring 2012? The earlier the better, I wanna get to busting spines with Cerabella~

alstein

I'm hoping for a delay personally, I won't have time for this game in Jan or Feb, and I'd want something between SC5 and VF.

The fact SG is using GGPO is a big plus, since I'll probably be done with tournies after March- my other things in life will make traveling like that too much, but I'll want a fighter I can pick up and play with.

As for the PC thing, I think Skullgirls is different enough that it would work. That said, instead of trying to simulrelease, maybe get all your DLC done, then release on PC with the DLC included at a lower price, for the sake of posterity. PSN/XBLA won't last nearly as long as PC will.

If you guys could bust out 3 chars per year at $5/piece, you could keep SG going for 2-3 years potentially.

Masaki_

And while a number of indie games do very well on Steam, none of them are fighting games. There really isn't much of an established market for fighting games on PC compared to on consoles, which I'd imagine is another factor in why things were prioritized this way. While a decent number of people play fighting games on PC, they're all free emulated versions.

For that reason, I think selling it as an indie game first and fighting game second is a better idea. The greatest entry barrier for fighting games is the depth coupled with lack of instruction. Your training mode was designed to solve that, so why not just go for it. There are marketing solutions here, I'm sure.

Also, the stories about indie games doing better on Steam are a bit anecdotal - there really isn't any hard data on digital sales out there, just the occasional developer saying "our game did better on Steam!" There are likely a number of developers who haven't done better, and didn't announce that. So until Steam, PSN and XBLA start making sales data publicly available ala NPD so we can directly compare dollar amounts, this is all really just conjecture. And companies rarely want to commit hundreds of thousands of development dollars based on conjecture.

The real numbers we who argue for PC releases want is the actual cost of a good PC port. That's something that all devs have been tight-lipped about, except with the occasional "it's costly, it's risky". Not much at all, really. I think that number of sales doesn't matter if it still manages to recoup the costs of porting, even if it only sold a fraction of the numbers sold on consoles. Big companies might be bothered by a PC port only making a small amount of profit - would an indie dev+publisher, though? This is, of course, not even considering the existence of lazy, DRM-ridden, glitchy ports. While a lot of people praise the AE PC port now, we still had to wait one month for it, and it was plagued with issues like not recognizing some sticks and keyboards, the default variable framerate option changing properties of the game and, of course, GFWL.

This is all moot, though - it wasn't our choice, and given the resources available, Autumn felt it was better to release the console versions first rather than delay all three. Given the choice, I think we would've done the same, and so would our fans.

I understand, but it would be great if in the future Autumn considers a PC version from the get-go.

It won't make the initial launch, but all versions of the game should get YouTube replay uploads in a future update. So that definitely won't be a PC exclusive.

That's not the kind of replay sharing I meant. Starcraft II creates a file for every individual game that can be copied and passed around. That's the kind of feature that would make the game extremely attractive.

alstein said:
I'm hoping for a delay personally, I won't have time for this game in Jan or Feb, and I'd want something between SC5 and VF.

I'm the opposite, I want a new fighting game I can dig into before my vacation is over.

All I know is that the PC version would be one of my most hyped games for sure. A beautiful 2D sprite based fighter for fifteen bucks on Steam would be an instabuy and I love the fact that they put tons of different games on the front page for all to see several times a year. It is good marketing and it has shown a ton of my favorites(audiosurf, plants vs zombies, VVVVVV, braid, crayon physics delux, civilization and defense grid) some great love.
I would love it if Valentine had a Haruko colour palette.

jnHap.jpg
SRK has a palette thread where people have line art for all of the revealed characters(including painwheel) and people have done a few good palettes for their favorite characters. I just finished a Mamimi palette for Parasoul and I'll totally make a nurse Haruko one for Valentine when her line art drops!

The fact SG is using GGPO is a big plus, since I'll probably be done with tournies after March- my other things in life will make traveling like that too much, but I'll want a fighter I can pick up and play with.
I want this game out before SFxTekken ships. I really really want this game out before SFxTekken ships. Putting this game out in the same month as SFxTekken feels like throwing this game out there in the same month as BF3 and MW3.

:'(

alstein

I really don't think a small delay would sell well.

A "GOTY" edition of Skullgirls, with all the DLC, selling for $20 on Steam as a package, I think that would sell and encourage some double-dippers.

I can't wait to see the disc release for Japan, if they get the game, and how the Japanese scene responds to it. Even though, I guess the really hardcore could just buy it off of PSN since that's not region locked.

I can't wait to see the disc release for Japan, if they get the game, and how the Japanese scene responds to it. Even though, I guess the really hardcore could just buy it off of PSN since that's not region locked.

As I've said before, the biggest hurdle that Skull Girls has here in Japan is a lack of an arcade scene. Fighters here that don't get arcade releases are typically pretty crippled by it.

Yeah, people play Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 here, but the scene isn't anywhere near as big as the arcade fighters.

There are people excited for SG here and it'll do OK, but an arcade release is what it needs more than anything.

I'm more of a Pirate kind of guy than Ninjas, but I'm definitely going to rock Parasoul/Valentine.

I've always planned on solo-maining Parasoul before the game took off, until I saw a picture of her and Valentine and I just had a feeling the two would be godlike together, somehow.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Glad Valentine got announced, shell definitely be part of my team ... if not my main :p

Then again, the next character is pretty rad ...

I am going to put my money on the last character being Bloody Marie

bloody_marie_by_bespuni-d4dsc75.jpg

I thought she was the Skullgirl, haha. She's next to Valentine on some old design sheet with all the characters on it, so it's still who I'm expecting. I didn't realize she had a proper name though.

Now I'm confused on who or what the Skullgirl is though.

g.r.e.

Surfing 2chan I've stumbled on this picture(sorry for the low quality)

YYqiC.jpg

There are a couple of characters I've never seen before. Anyone knows if there's a better quality version of the image?

The Skullgirl is the result of a woman or girl who obtains the Skullheart(powerful artifact) and uses it to wish for something. The catch is that anyone who is not pure of heart will have their wish fulfilled at the expense of their own lives. They could be turned into any number of things(such as a monster) as a sort of cost for the use of the Skullheart.

Man, I'd love to collect a pile of images and concept art for possible DLC characters in the future. Alex Ahad has so many cool designs and concepts that I'm just itching to see implemented. A few of them besides Big Band and Le Duc are also on backgrounds to boot.
There are a couple of characters I've never seen before. Anyone knows if there's a better quality version of the image?
600109-6F5JU2T.jpg

Gaspode_T

They really should have showed this off at TGS, even if they borrow a corner of The Behemoth's booth or something

The release date for Skullgirls, maybe it will be released sooner than you think? XBLA/PSN games are notorious for dropping out of the sky with very little notice

Probably to early to answer this but will we 360 users have the same youtube issues we have with 3rd strike(Cannot upload to our own personal channel/240p only) I understand this is not capcoms fault but the 360 lacking proper api support.

Has this been on the stream since you posted? I missed at least 45 minutes of SG? Guess I'll have to catch the archive.

And where the $#!* is my FNF?

And the game's probably not coming out until Feb . . . this thread has been nothing but bad news lately! T_____T

Yeah it had been going for almost an hour, really good stuff. We got to see Peacock's time out lose animation which I thought was hilarious, we saw some fantastic painwheel action of UGH HUHHHGGGH HNGGHH RAAAA (no landed supers though </3), and some great commentary overall.

Really interested in seeing the implications of the fly mode momentum for Painwheel, I already saw some pretty sick offensive strings that involved hitting from one side and what may have been immediatecancels into fly mode into other normals to crossup the opponent as well. Character is looking sick.

After hearing that the game most likely won't be out on January, I'm actually kind of salty about not having Squiggly or Umbrella in the game now.

I'm not going to give Reverge Labs any shit though, because I know they're working their asses off, but goddamn...

WNF archive footage

Skullgirls starts pretty quickly at the five minute mark on page 1.
Yeah it had been going for almost an hour, really good stuff. We got to see Peacock's time out lose animation which I thought was hilarious, we saw some fantastic painwheel action of UGH HUHHHGGGH HNGGHH RAAAA (no landed supers though </3), and some great commentary overall.

Really interested in seeing the implications of the fly mode momentum for Painwheel, I already saw some pretty sick offensive strings that involved hitting from one side and what may have been immediatecancels into fly mode into other normals to crossup the opponent as well. Character is looking sick.
It was a pretty good stream all in all. We got to see the training stage, painwheel in action and the game was out there again after being in the dark for so long.

Painwheel looks more fun than I thought and I can't wait to see someone play her more effectively. She looked really clumsy out there despite flight options she has and I'd like to see someone push it further.

I'm also excited by the possibility of Valentine being playable at the SoCal regionals(commentary said it was possible that they'd have another character to show alongside painwheel). This game should totally show up on stream again next week. Props to whoever brought the game out there for the fans again!
After hearing that the game most likely won't be out on January, I'm actually kind of salty about not having Squiggly or Umbrella in the game now.

I'm not going to give Reverge Labs any shit though, because I know they're working their asses off, but goddamn...
Yeah, I'm not gonna lie about this either. I was really really hyped about Squigly and the lack of footage(outside of FnFs) until now just had me a bit in the dumps. Hopefully we get more stuff to watch in the coming weeks...

alstein

Well, those characters will come. It's not like you'll never see them (unless this game really bombs , which I don't think will happen- especially if it gets a Japanese release)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pretty good video overall, happy to see Painwheel moving around :)

NEO0MJ

Well, those characters will come. It's not like you'll never see them (unless this game really bombs , which I don't think will happen- especially if it gets a Japanese release)

But to get a JPN release they'll have to first release those characters to fill up the game. They'll need at least 12 characters in my opinion.

Anyways, Painwheel looks pretty brutal. Third team member found.

Raging Spaniard

Is she one of the characters you worked on?

Yeah, did a couple of things (crouching MK and when she gets up after a knockdown) Crazy how much faster these animations happen in-game than you expect when you see them in Photoshop.

Top Bottom