• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Ravidrath

Will there be some sort of option to switch between current and native sprites if it impacts performance?

Yes.

Rather than force everyone to download an additional gig that their machine may not be able to handle, it'll probably be free and optional DLC, and then it'll be a setting under Video Options.

Kioshen

Finally got backwards wavedashing down with Filia. I don't think it's possible on a stick though. :x

Been wondering about that, how do you wavedash or back wavedash in this game ?

Yes.

Rather than force everyone to download an additional gig that their machine may not be able to handle, it'll probably be free and optional DLC, and then it'll be a setting under Video Options.

Will you guys publish a complete changelog for the patch ?

I can't handle what feels like her intense short range :<

Armor moves are your friend. Bully your way to victory !

Anyone interesting in making a Steam group?

There's already one ...

Kioshen

For every beta patch, you mean? Or do you mean for whatever is actually released to the main game?

Given how people react to Mike's notes to himself, I'm a little wary of beta changelogs.

Might be a good idea to release a patch note for every beta patch since it keeps everyone in the same loop but I was mostly asking for what system/character changes were actually implemented in the Squigly Edition. I can look up Mike's To-Do list but it's a mess of bread crumbs. Something like this will need to be compiled. I wasn't too sure myself if Mike went with undizzy or stricter IPS until I tried it in the lab.

How do people react to Mike's notes ?
=============================

Squigly Edition Tech roundup courtesy of SRK. Featuring Squigly, Mrs.Fortune, Parasoul and Cerebella.

Beats

Been wondering about that, how do you wavedash or back wavedash in this game ?

For Filia I just dash back then hit down back rapidly, or dash and press down for forward dashes. I made a vid for it: link

I don't have any trouble with it on stick at least.

Nope, it shouldn't cause any problems actually. Having played it in this fashion with darkstalkers resurrection (delay always set to 1), on PC with classic games, and with it on the console version I can't say that the delay my opponent has set has in any way affected my matches. There's a more fundamental problem here at work which we can only speculate about, a lot of people are saying that the issues you're experiencing are from individuals who are simply trying to play the game with settings their computers cant handle.

How are you doing it on stick? I tried, but I wasn't able to do it at the same speed. :(

Thanks for the answer. Hmm, I suppose it'd be hard to test right now without friend invites.

Jeeves

I wonder if any 360 players would be willing to coach me? It's my first time making any kind of real effort to play a fighting game, and I'm still kind of trying to find my legs. I'm willing to commit to training if I can get a partner.

For every beta patch, you mean? Or do you mean for whatever is actually released to the main game?

Given how people react to Mike's notes to himself, I'm a little wary of beta changelogs.

TBH Mike can sum up anything interesting when showing off the build at Salty Cupcakes.

Much more important (to me): Is there actually an issue that LZ can fix easily with the beta's netcode and when are lobbies being put in?

How are you doing it on stick? I tried, but I wasn't able to do it at the same speed. :(

There's no trick to it or anything, I'm just doing what you're doing on pad but ... on the stick. If you can get to the point where you can hit the diagonals on a stick from a neutral position without much trouble then wavedashing backwards doesn't become much of a problem.

I wish I had a PC that could run SG; my laptop tries to commit suicide when opening an Excel workbook...

Also stopped by the Lab Zero booth at AX; didn't get a chance to play, but Squiggly looked like a lot of fun.

I really need to sit down and learn the game, but work has kept me from anything resembling fun.

Ken

I wonder if any 360 players would be willing to coach me? It's my first time making any kind of real effort to play a fighting game, and I'm still kind of trying to find my legs. I'm willing to commit to training if I can get a partner.

Are you West Coast? I'd play you but we'd have to probably play with input delay 5 and I'm not sure that's ideal for beginners.

Yes.

Excellent

Yeah, don't bother with it. Way too much work for something that we'll only have for like two months. All we need is the final round up when the PC version is ready.

NEO0MJ

Taking time to explore characters other than Squigly. It's going to be strange switching between the PS3 and the PC version of the game, especially with characters like Mrs.Fortune and Peacock.

alstein

How do you counter Filia IAD shenanigans? So ridiculuosly easy for her to open you up then you watch a combo for 10-15 seconds.

Ken

My console froze. Second time it happened and both times were during Miss Fortune blockbusters.

GGs jeeves. I'd say work on blocking, don't mash out hits randomly as much (if I block the beginning of your combo try not to end it on something unsafe for me to punish, it also lets me get damage off of Titan Knuckles and jHP), and find some simple BnBs to do off hits. Also check out the character guides on skullheart for ways to play characters; I don't really know much about any of the characters besides Cerebella though.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php

*in before talk of >200 ping*

It was only 169!

Jeeves

My console froze. Second time it happened and both times were during Miss Fortune blockbusters.

GGs jeeves. I'd say work on blocking, don't mash out hits randomly as much (if I block the beginning of your combo try not to end it on something unsafe for me to punish, it also lets me get damage off of Titan Knuckles and jHP), and find some simple BnBs to do off hits. Also check out the character guides on skullheart for ways to play characters; I don't really know much about any of the characters besides Cerebella though.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/forums/index.php

It was only 169!
GGs back at you. I was having a great time, didn't even notice lag. I don't know if my headset was working or not though.

And yeah, I need to stop hoping that my opponent will drop their guard mid-combo. I think I just don't really know what to do with myself if my attacks are blocked. Definitely need to block myself, too, like you said. Getting caught in a long combo is brutal stuff.

I've sort of got the beginnings of BnBs for Valentine and Parasoul which I'm trying to get myself accustomed to, but yeah I need to look into some more. It really makes a difference. I haven't really played Parasoul before, but I spent an hour last night practicing a BnB someone posted for her. Now I feel like I can get away with using her.

Your Cerebella's pretty scary. I was maybe being too aggressive trying to not give her the space to make a move.

Thanks for the matches! Let's play again some time, that was great. I wouldn't be opposed to learning a thing or two about Cerebella either if you feel like doing that. I think the only thing that was keeping me from trying her is that she's got a lot of dragon punch commands or something, which give me some trouble.

Kioshen

How do you counter Filia IAD shenanigans? So ridiculuosly easy for her to open you up then you watch a combo for 10-15 seconds.

I don't like to pull out that answer but ... don't be there. I'm having trouble myself each time I've faced Beats' relentless Filia but there's a range that she can do what she wants if you let her in. You need to keep her out if not timely pushblocking, invincible assists or great blocking will keep you alive :(.

It was only 169!

Huzzah !

--------------------------

Anybody knows of a good game capturing program for PC ? I know Fraps exists but I was wondering if there was anything else.

Have you ever seen a Q.Bee do her thing in VSav? Sort of like that. You just have to block high 80% of the time and you need to watch your pushblocks so you know when to push her out. It helps if you have a good jumping normal to spam defensively (Double/Parasoul's j.HP or Fortune's j.HK) or something you can use to break in on the offense (Parasoul's j.LP is surprisingly good and combos nicely into some ground stuff).

Some Filias tend to fall apart if you can get them flustered by claiming your space and not budging. I'm reminded of a certain Filia whose combos were excellent, but he'd lose it once I planted my feet and held my ground on the stage. Having an AA assist against a Filia player is a godsend, but not necessary. It just makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Beats

Anybody knows of a good game capturing program for PC ? I know Fraps exists but I was wondering if there was anything else.

I tried OBS mostly for streaming, but you can record with it too. It seems fairly lightweight as well.

Some Filias tend to fall apart if you can get them flustered by claiming your space and not budging. I'm reminded of a certain Filia whose combos were excellent, but he'd lose it once I planted my feet and held my ground on the stage. Having an AA assist against a Filia player is a godsend, but not necessary. It just makes the whole thing a lot easier.

Is that me lol? >.<

Anyone else really like Squigly's music symbol super (I forgot the name)? It doesn't too much damage, but the fact that it moves with you feels really useful.

Yes, but we don't know what time yet.

Oh, ok, that guide app thing for EVO was saying it'd be on Friday at 4 (during the tournament's time) and I though it was odd, so I had to ask.

Anyone else really like Squigly's music symbol super (I forgot the name)? It doesn't too much damage, but the fact that it moves with you feels really useful.

I like it for DHCs and extending things, and also I feel it has potential for incoming shenanigans. At the very least it should keep Fillias from "hard driving" right away.

Also, I LOVE the singing assist when facing Peacock. "Oh, so you're throwing shit at me from full screen away? LOL not anymore you're not."

Kioshen

I'm by no means an expert on the topic but I've had success with Bandicam.

I tried OBS mostly for streaming, but you can record with it too. It seems fairly lightweight as well.

Thanks guys I'll look it up !

In other news, I've started to work on Peacock and I've finally been able to link three argus agony after my bnb w00t. 2vs1 = 13596 dmg. If I ever miss the waddle george link I get a 50/50 anyway. I still haven't found a sure fire way to land those mashy j.LP for Cerebella but I'm not giving up. I should look at match footage from the last two tournaments because I haven't found a proper video explanation. I should do that when I manage to do find a way.

Jintor

Oh man

I put in some lab time and I feel like I actually have a decent hold on Fortune now.

So when you use the dash teleport slash move with Valentine, I mix myself up. What's the timing and direction on the input if I want to cancel into a blockbuster after it? I don't seem to be able to cancel via recovery.

CrossRhythm

Neo Member
Oh man

I put in some lab time and I feel like I actually have a decent hold on Fortune now.

So when you use the dash teleport slash move with Valentine, I mix myself up. What's the timing and direction on the input if I want to cancel into a blockbuster after it? I don't seem to be able to cancel via recovery.

Iirc you have to do the blockbuster inputs based on the original direction you were facing before you cross them up.

Beckx

I tried OBS mostly for streaming, but you can record with it too. It seems fairly lightweight as well..

How does it compare to FRAPS in terms of frame rate hit? I can run SG maxed out and get 60 FPS, but when I start recording in FRAPS the frame rate drops to 30-45 (not just SG, happens in other games, especially TvC via Dolphin).

joe2187

Banned
I got my ass handed to me by many squigly's online yesterday.

I wasn't prepared, she's got a tricky game....and I must learn it.

Kioshen

After some quick testing, it's same direction as the original Savage Bypass. The timing is like any super cancel which is on hit. The timing window is before the hit stun wears off so enable the hit stun bar to see if you are too late. You can practice the cancel on the ground since Savage Bypass can be done on the ground.

If all that tech mumbo jumbo doesn't help well here's how you can eyeball it :

QCF+K, wait for hit slashing effect, QCF+KK before hit slash goes away

Nabs

How does it compare to FRAPS in terms of frame rate hit? I can run SG maxed out and get 60 FPS, but when I start recording in FRAPS the frame rate drops to 30-45 (not just SG, happens in other games, especially TvC via Dolphin).

OBS is so much lighter. I can stream at 1080p/60fps with no problem.

Top Bottom