• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Geniuzz

I am very happy with the Encore update on Xbox Live, but I can't seem to find anyone in Western Europe for online games. Is it just me, or do more people in the region have this?

DiscoShark, how do you go about learning ins and outs of SG or any other fighting games?

I begin a new fighting game with familiarizing myself with the overarching mechanics with a specific goal of finding out how someone is able to apply offensive pressure to an opponent. Getting to know the movement options for a fighting game in this respect is extremely important because I'm a firm believer of mastery of movement being the key to getting to know how a character or a game is able to progress from start to finish. Most fighting games don't really spell out these aspects to you in any sort of obvious way though so it helped to try to find additional resources online to wrap my head around what was going on in X or Y situation or how best to use in any one mechanic in the game. The wikis (Dreamcancel for KOF, Dustloop for Arc Sys, Wiki.Shoryuken for Capcom/Skullgirls, and Mizuumi for older/doujin/anime fighters) that have sprung up in the last few years have been incredibly useful in this regard.

Skullgirls was a bit of a special case though because years leading up into its eventual release MikeZ would often come up on a weekly / tournament stream to showcase the development of different aspects of the game. Back when it was just a game of Filias (Zoner/Airdash/Grappler) and temp. stages he'd show off what it is that you could do with the current and planned features and mechanics. He was breaking down the ins and outs of IPS, he was on the forums talking about how X or Y feature (Custom assists or unblockable prevention) would interact with eachother in a way that made sure the game wouldn't break itself on release. So by day one I think anyone who had followed SGs development up until that point had a pretty decent understand of at least the general flow of the game.

When I feel I've gotten a grasp on overarching game stuff and the general movement patterns that are possible I move on to character-centric stuff. It usually starts with the questions :
  • What are the "goals" of the character I'm playing, the ways in which my character can become as effective as possible? (Keeping Out/Getting to specific ranges/Setup X or Y move, in most cases it's usually "find a way to get a hit")
  • What is it that I have to do in the neutral game to achieve those goals? (This is the important one as it begins the deeper analysis of what options your character has and how you can best make use of them and with team based games it begins with the thought of what options do I NOT have on the character that would be useful to have in any given situation)

And I base the development of any character or team I'm learning on the answer to those questions.

Is Skullgirls Encore still free this month for PS+ Subscribers? I'm asking because I told a friend to get it, but there's nothing around for it.

Hype stream archive shows off awesome new stuff!
http://www.twitch.tv/ugclive/b/527443188?t=8m40s

Xtn1iJ6.png

Highlights include :
  • Glass Canopy gets new music.
  • Fukua's shadow special has new animations
  • Eliza's stage is going to be added to the beta and HNNNNGGGGH its got music too!! AHHHH ITS SO GUD
  • Eliza has an AIRDASH.
  • Eliza has ALL OF HER GROUND AND AIR NORMALS (unless he omitted command normals, they still need work done but they're there to look at.)
  • She won't be in beta until she gets her throws.
Hypehypehypehypehypehypehypehype

A gentle reminder that Squigly had an airdash early in development, before Mike decided that was too unbalanced and changed it to a double jump.

Eliza looks GREAT nonetheless though. Can't wait to see her specials.

The difference is that Squigly's airdash was a carbon copy of her ground dash animation and Eliza's airdash is a unique move. He also mentioned the backdash animation as "not being done yet" so it sounds like to me that she's being designed around having an airdash. Things can change obviously but in this case I think we can probably bet she's going to keep it.

Highlights include :

Fukua's shadow special has new animations
    Eliza's stage is going to be added to the beta and HNNNNGGGGH its got music too!! AHHHH ITS SO GUD
    Eliza has an AIRDASH.
    Eliza has ALL OF HER GROUND AND AIR NORMALS (unless he omitted command normals, they still need work done but they're there to look at.)
    She won't be in beta until she gets her throws.

• I checked the archive out, nice stage and Eliza looks nice as usual. I agree, the music is good. If there was a way to change music, I wouldn't mind replacing it with Aztec or Egyptian soundtrack from Goldeneye N64 :)

Xtn1iJ6.png

Highlights include :
  • Eliza's stage is going to be added to the beta and HNNNNGGGGH its got music too!! AHHHH ITS SO GUD
  • Eliza has an AIRDASH.
  • Eliza has ALL OF HER GROUND AND AIR NORMALS (unless he omitted command normals, they still need work done but they're there to look at.)

She is coming along nicely
kreygasm.png

TheOGB

Banned

Xtn1iJ6.png

Highlights include :
  • Eliza has an AIRDASH.
Lawd have mercyyyyyyyy

A gentle reminder that Squigly had an airdash early in development, before Mike decided that was too unbalanced and changed it to a double jump.

Eliza looks GREAT nonetheless though. Can't wait to see her specials.
I really dislike double jumping. It feels so slow and boring.

Apparently the Fukua patch is out in Europe and will be out shortly (within a few hours of this post) in the US and on PC.

Also there's a surprise in the patch apparently! I have no idea!

Thores

Apparently the Fukua patch is out in Europe and will be out shortly (within a few hours of this post) in the US and on PC.

Also there's a surprise in the patch apparently! I have no idea!

!!

Fukua Story Mode!?

I would understand 100% if that wasn't it but it'd be hilarious

Fukua patch is now available for download on US and EU PSN.

Full patch notes here:
http://skullgirls.com/2014/05/skullgirls-encore-1-02-are-your-ready-for-edition-patch-notes/

"Cerebella’s Devil Horns now plays the guitar riff every time."

Best change.

and ... (super secret)
New stage added: Nightmare Crest. An alternate version of Maplecrest featuring “The Dreams We Left Behind”, a remix version of “The Lives We Left Behind” background theme. Fukua should be right at home!

Hnnnggh. Can't wait until the update hits Steam.

Played Fukua's "Story" and goddamn at the last part.. Why Annie, why do you have an unplayable character. :(

Also, Fukua is so damn fun. Fillia is the clone character. :p

I think a big part is just that they don't reset. Marvel 3 mechanically was more combo-focused and anti-reset than Marvel 2 (in an effort to make the game more popular over there), what with invincible directional recovery, automatic throw invulnerability (after recovery AND on incoming), no meter scaling in combos, 2 assists per combo, unscaled level 3's, TACs, and so on. Japanese Marvel 2 players were usually Iron Man players who tried to go for the infinite as often as possible. This carries on in their Skullgirls play-- they just don't seem to think the rewards of a reset outweigh the risk of being blocked, or something.

I don't blame them. It's a weird concept to grasp until you're already entrenched in it. A lot of people watch these games and claim to be hardcore fans without ever even knowing what a reset is.

Yeah, this is definitely still a big issue when it comes to Japanese SG play. But, after playing a bunch with some of the players in Osaka, I noticed that the stronger players have really started to understand the reset game and are more actively seeking resets out. The players who also played Mvc3 or BB a lot seem to never go for resets though. Its a shame there's not more avenues for Japanese SG players to interact with the west, I feel Jp SG would evolve more if that were the case.

Ok, so at the end of Fukua's story did you guys make the AI block almost everything on purpose so that you'd have to use the command grabs or was that just a coincidence?

TheOGB

Banned
Everything about the evolution of Fukua is absolutely wonderful. You folks at Lab Zero sure know how to get mileage out of a joke, and for that I salute you.

Okay so Fukua's prety fun. Not sure if I'll pick her up with Parasoul/Big Band yet but she is fun. Is there any reason to use her level 5? It doesn't do much damage, maybe I'm just not getting something about it. Speaking of Parasoul, I was thinking color 11 would have a pink-ish cross like Valentine's but it being white like the shirt actually works better lol.

Ok, so at the end of Fukua's story did you guys make the AI block almost everything on purpose so that you'd have to use the command grabs or was that just a coincidence?

I swear that was how I handled it lol, that and her QCB Heavy Kick, the AI loves to crouchblock/run into it a lot.

Okay so Fukua's prety fun. Not sure if I'll pick her up with Parasoul/Big Band yet but she is fun. Is there any reason to use her level 5? It doesn't do much damage, maybe I'm just not getting something about it. Speaking of Parasoul, I was thinking color 11 would have a pink-ish cross like Valentine's but it being white like the shirt actually works better lol.

I swear that was how I handled it lol, that and her QCB Heavy Kick, the AI loves to crouchblock/run into it a lot.

IIrc her level 5 scales the damage for 200% if you combo after it.

Seriously, I didn't expect to love it so much.

I was thinking, it'd be pretty cool if Fukua was one of those secret arcade mode fights some games have. I mean, she's technically already a secret character so why not

Wow just beat Fukua's story mode and the ending was unexpected, some folks were saying the boss is too cheap but it can be easily exploited (at least on normal) doing
cr.HK and if she blocks qcb+LP+LK
also I loved the scene after the credits it made me laughed so much.

Wow just beat Fukua's story mode and the ending was unexpected, some folks were saying the boss is too cheap but it can be easily exploited (at least on normal) doing
cr.HK and if she blocks qcb+LP+LK
also I loved the scene after the credits it made me laughed so much.

You don't even need her to block cr.HK, just weep doing the command grab on wake up and she can do absolutely nothing about it.

Village

Big band is very fun to play as, turned this game on after a long time of not playing it and am playing online , its fun as i remember.

Mesoian

Bah, my steam didn't automatically update skullgirls for some reason and now I'm stuck behind Dota patches. Anyone know how to force the udpate?

Top Bottom