• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Just downloaded the Euro PSN release, decided the first thing i'd do was go through the tutorial, why this isn't a standard feature in fighting games I haven't the foggiest idea. I'd already got the basic idea of things from learning the hard way in other games but it's good to see terms explained. Even so that was still hard work, memorizing combos isn't my forte.
But those grab counters, the timing seems to be really tricky, I think i've already been caught in enough yarn based throws to last a lifetime from that one task.

FEELING CLAWS-TROPHOPIC?

Of course you can. new threads for new news.
I'll keep that in mind for next time.
Just downloaded the Euro PSN release, decided the first thing i'd do was go through the tutorial, why this isn't a standard feature in fighting games I haven't the foggiest idea. I'd already got the basic idea of things from learning the hard way in other games but it's good to see terms explained. Even so that was still hard work, memorizing combos isn't my forte.
Run through the defense tutorial and grab tutorial again the in the future. Make it a habit to do them maybe every couple of months. I've played fighting games for years and I consider myself an intermediate level player, but those tutorials actually helped me quite a bit.
But those grab counters, the timing seems to be really tricky, I think i've already been caught in enough yarn based throws to last a lifetime from that one task.
They are more or less the same as Third Strike throws. They are more about anticipating when your opponent will try to throw you so that you can tech it. It's smarter than just mashing to tech, but it's not an easy thing to learn. I still have issues with it so I learned more about pushblocking so that I can keep enough distance to avoid being grabbed.

Run through the defense tutorial and grab tutorial again the in the future. Make it a habit to do them maybe every couple of months. I've played fighting games for years and I consider myself an intermediate level player, but those tutorials actually helped me quite a bit.

They are more or less the same as Third Strike throws. They are more about anticipating when your opponent will try to throw you so that you can tech it. It's smarter than just mashing to tech, but it's not an easy thing to learn. I still have issues with it so I learned more about pushblocking so that I can keep enough distance to avoid being grabbed.

Having a Defence tutorial seemed like an odd idea to me at first but they were oddly satisfying to complete as well as useful. With the throws the way I did it was to counter as I saw the grab movement start up but that wasn't too reliable.

Anyway I took each character into training mode and had a mess around, some of the animations in this game are too good. I guess i'll be back when i'm broken by the final boss of either arcade or a characters story mode.

http://www.twitch.tv/st1ckbug/b/316473439?t=248m05s

good things to watch:

Starting point-You get to see Ms.Fortune's NOM loops. They won't be around for that long, but they are certainly something that solo Fortunes should know when dealing against keepaway teams of 2 or 3. Solo characters will probably need all the help they can get against teams.

04:14:30-Some very nice Valentine play in these matches. She'll show off some combos with good screen carry and a very nice burst bait into grab. Some very nice stuff to be aware of for Valentine.

04:24:00-More NOM loops and some important stuff shown about Fortune's head here. It's almost like it's own assist which means you have to watch out for lows, grabs and even which supers you can use(it interrupts Major surgery and prevents Double's bionic car from hitting the main body). She can also smack it pretty far which means it's modes of transportation can get tricky. Some good Double play here as well. Her Catellites actually work well against Fortune's head.

04:38:30-A lot of crucial mistakes were made here when fighting against Ms.Fortune. Mike Z has stated several times that Val's major surgery has bad placement when used in the air because it knocks the opponent to the other side of the screen where they get breathing room. The Double player also doesn't realize that Catellites(her cat head super) works extremely well against Fortune's head. It's a pretty intense fight here too.

More came matches afterwards. Some solid Painwheel play and some good Valentine combos shown here as well. This Valentine also handles Napalm Pillar assist somewhat well. It's a good set of fights for that alone. The Peacock player here displays that powerful keepaway using hornet bomber assist. Definitely something that we all have to learn how to fight. There is a whole slew of great matches afterwards and I can't really classify everything without making an essay out of it.

I'll be making something for Civil War which has less big moments and matches, but bigger personalities. That is for a few days later though. Just enjoy these for now and try to take something away from them since there are some solid people playing characters you might use yourselves. Anyone trying to improve at the game should try to get about an hour of stream time per week. Seeing someone work magic with your favorite character can open up new possibilities very quickly and an hour is really not that much per week.

*goes to watch the Guilty Gear tournament*

Whoa, we got a first look in Famitsu!

Also, the full PC press release.

I'll say in here what I said in the other thread, too: a few months after the PC release, we hope to allow for PC/PS3 cross-platform play.
Very cool

Google translate leaves me with the impression that it was an overall positive look. They also said something about "speedy" and "Vampire" which always makes me smile. Japan will eat this game up at the arcades. You guys are sitting on gold right now. :)
Having a Defence tutorial seemed like an odd idea to me at first but they were oddly satisfying to complete as well as useful. With the throws the way I did it was to counter as I saw the grab movement start up but that wasn't too reliable.
The mix up tutorial combined the the early UltrachenTV footage with Mike Z really opened my eyes. He explained how veteran players and new players both loosened up on the stick/pad after successfully blocking part of a mixup which really annoyed him. I started to look at the game through the eyes of a grappler centric fighter and how silly it would be to let your guard down prematurely. I can't counter throws for shit right now though. :p
Anyway I took each character into training mode and had a mess around, some of the animations in this game are too good. I guess i'll be back when i'm broken by the final boss of either arcade or a characters story mode.
Just don't play those modes above normal difficulty. That boss pisses me off. It's a fun experience overall though.

Peacock
Painwheel
Ms.Fortune

My favorite stories. All of them have their moments though. Valentine has to be tough as nails to do what she does.

Masaki_

NEO0MJ

Peacock
Painwheel
Ms.Fortune

My favorite stories. All of them have their moments though. Valentine has to be tough as nails to do what she does.

About the same, though I'd probably drop Painwheel from the top and put her with Parasoul and Filia in second tier story. Valentine and Double for third tier, and Cerebella for bottom tier story.
Why Cerebella for bottom tier? Because fuck her, that's why.

Pretty silly to take such an extreme stance on her, I know :p

Dachande

Ouch. Hopefully it's an easy fix. And, hey, at least Sony aren't dicks about patches like MS.

What's going to happen with Ms.Fortune's head breaking some supers? For example, as SolarPowered pointed out in the video he linked, Valentine's Flatliner stops as soon as she hits the head (something me and my friend noticed a couple of weeks ago as I play Ms.Fortune and he Valentine), and that doesn't seem right.

It makes sense for if Valentine hits assist characters to prevent weird glitchiness and I assume the head is being managed in code as a special 'permanent assist', so logically that follows, but surely it's considered a glitch and Ms.Fortune should eat the whole super if it connects with the body, even if the super comes in contact with the head..?

Ouch. Hopefully it's an easy fix. And, hey, at least Sony aren't dicks about patches like MS.

What's going to happen with Ms.Fortune's head breaking some supers? For example, as SolarPowered pointed out in the video he linked, Valentine's Flatliner stops as soon as she hits the head (something me and my friend noticed a couple of weeks ago as I play Ms.Fortune and he Valentine), and that doesn't seem right.

It makes sense for if Valentine hits assist characters to prevent weird glitchiness and I assume the head is being managed in code as a special 'permanent assist', so logically that follows, but surely it's considered a glitch and Ms.Fortune should eat the whole super if it connects with the body, even if the super comes in contact with the head..?

MikeZ has mentioned on multiple occasions that this was an intentional limitation put on Valentine's Flatline super. In these situations there is nothing stopping you from ending your combo in Scalpel Toss.

It would seem that if NA PSN players try to play against EU PSN players, the game crashes.

Full run-down here...

...Why can't anything ever be easy?

Well, that sucks. I hope you guys figure out something soon.

I just realized that I haven't played against anyone in the OT. Is there a PSN chat or something that GAF uses to set up matches between members? Or is it strictly through PMs?

Dachande

MikeZ has mentioned on multiple occasions that this was an intentional limitation put on Valentine's Flatline super. In these situations there is nothing stopping you from ending your combo in Scalpel Toss.

Interesting... and I'm the Ms.Fortune player in this situation, and since it screws up a few combos that my friend likes to throw out, that's fine with me...

Ravidrath

Well, that sucks. I hope you guys figure out something soon.

The reason it breaks was a bit unexpected, but it should be a relatively easy fix - we're just annoyed that somehow nobody thought to test this, and it means that people need to wait for the submission fix, etc. That's partially on us, but also Konami and SCEE.

Crocodile

I finally got around to watching the St1ckbug footage SP linked. Lots of hype matches; most of the ones involving that Ms. Fortune were hilarious.

Steaks

I finally got around to watching the St1ckbug footage SP linked. Lots of hype matches; most of the ones involving that Ms. Fortune were hilarious.

Yeah, they look pretty hype, I'm kind of upset I couldn't sleep and didn't go :(

I'll be at Savage Saturday this weekend I'm positive. I really want to put Solobella into the assist gauntlet. Look out for me on stream! Maybe. Probably not. Since I'll lose.

I've finished up the story mode, enjoyable but i'm wondering if there is any sort of canon plot to the whole thing?
the last ending with double seemed to hint as such then again i'm not even sure what happened there.

I think I enjoy playing as Cerebella the most, nothing like punching people hard in the face and the grabs themselves look great, not overly slow either. And while I can't make good use of her at all Miss Fortune is probably my runner up. Really like the character designs and animations in this game, this includes the numerous background characters.

Praise aside for a second, I suck with motions in this game, I can't even perform consistent quarter circles compared to other games.

NEO0MJ

Sorry if this got answered earlier- what does Painwheel's Hatred Install do exactly?

Gives her a whole lot of boosts. The less health she has the longer it lasts. From the SRK wiki:

Painwheel's normal throws and her tag in attack become Hatred Piston, a throw with an extended animation and more damage.
All Hatred Guard moves have one additional hit of armor.
Damage absorbed by Hatred Guard gets reduced with a 75% multiplier, and the returned damage gets increased with a 110% multiplier.
Damage absorbed by Hatred Guard cannot kill Painwheel.
Increased movement speed during Flight.
LP version of Gae Bolga Stinger does not have any additional damage scaling.
MP and HP versions of Gae Bolga Stinger get a reduced charge time, less recovery, and travel across the screen faster.
All versions of Buer Reaper have an increased hitstop effect, allowing ground LK and MK version to combo into Death Crawl at midscreen.
Air MK version of Buer Reaper causes a slide.
Air HK version of Buer Reaper causes a ground bounce.
Death Crawl travels across the screen faster.
Buer Thresher has more hits, increased total damage, and ends with a lengthy ground bounce.

I've finished up the story mode, enjoyable but i'm wondering if there is any sort of canon plot to the whole thing?
the last ending with double seemed to hint as such then again i'm not even sure what happened there.

All the ending are "what if", and the only canon part is
the last scene in doubles story mode.

wildfire

Banned
Fortune has more cat puns than a Bubsy game.

The best one is sometimes when you play against Parasoul she asks "Can I haz cheese" and Ms. Fortune says "That's racist."

Parasoul has a few other trollish interactions with various characters.

The double ending point out that skullgirls the game takes liberties with real life events like Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor". In the next game they will be going into the canon storyline.

I spent some time in the lab with Peacock since the last online tournament on SRK was my first with a Peacock/Parasoul team and I had like two hours of play with Peacock. I learned how to do the basic midscreen combos and I have some basic corner ones now as well. Parasoul is turning out of amazing for me so far. Her midscreen combos are pretty cool and I like that her forward HP stuns long enough for a sniper shot. I'm definitely going to have lots of fun with this pair. Also...

Cast playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBvD_iF1nk&feature=player_embedded

Apparently the VAs will be doing playthroughs of the story modes. I'm afraid of the things I'll hear during Parasoul's story. :'(
About the same, though I'd probably drop Painwheel from the top and put her with Parasoul and Filia in second tier story. Valentine and Double for third tier, and Cerebella for bottom tier story.
Why Cerebella for bottom tier? Because fuck her, that's why.

Pretty silly to take such an extreme stance on her, I know :p
Cerebella's ending was pretty fucked up. I did not expect that at all even when she had Ms.Fortune trapped like that.

Discoshark already mentioned it, but Mike Z made a post himself explaining what he feels is important to look out for in terms of balance. I'll find it in a bit.
I just realized that I haven't played against anyone in the OT. Is there a PSN chat or something that GAF uses to set up matches between members? Or is it strictly through PMs?
I think there is, but I don't know if anyone uses it. I mostly play on my own and play a couple of gaffers per week. GAF has always been kind of slow when it comes to playing against each other. I'd suggest making an SRK account since it's a dedicated audience. We got 26+ entrants on our last Skullbats and our upcoming one looks like it will be just as successful.
Gives her a whole lot of boosts. The less health she has the longer it lasts. From the SRK wiki:
Damn, she almost looks like a whole other character with all those changes. I definitely don't want to fight a good painwheel.
The best one is sometimes when you play against Parasoul she asks "Can I haz cheese" and Ms. Fortune says "That's racist."

Parasoul has a few other trollish interactions with various characters.
I did not know that. Maybe I just didn't notice it because I rarely play against Ms.Fortune. The one about drugs seems fitting because of her status and temperament though.
Three new sticks added to our custom stick gallery: Civil War 4, FFM-Arcade, Shadowloo Showdown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/revergelabs/collections/72157629739822583/
How does the design process for these sticks work? Does someone on your team have a particular idea/draft or is it something that the creator comes up with on their own? Every single stick from these guys has been beautiful so far.

NEO0MJ

Isn't it Cerebella that says that? Gonna try that later.

I think there is, but I don't know if anyone uses it. I mostly play on my own and play a couple of gaffers per week. GAF has always been kind of slow when it comes to playing against each other. I'd suggest making an SRK account since it's a dedicated audience. We got 26+ entrants on our last Skullbats and our upcoming one looks like it will be just as successful.

Wish I could join gaf matches but I'm sure most of my connections will suck. It's pretty rare to get a good match with US folks, and Euro folks aren't usually much better.

Ah, OK then. I think I have an account on there somewhere, I just never used it to post. I'll go dust that off and try to set up some matches. Thanks for the advice.

Cast playthrough:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xBvD_iF1nk&feature=player_embedded

Apparently the VAs will be doing playthroughs of the story modes. I'm afraid of the things I'll hear during Parasoul's story. :'(

This is fantastic.

Also, Skullgirls crashes my ps3 during char select in Online matches at times - what's up with that? It locks up but the music continues to play. Only way to get out of it is to hold the on/off-button followed by ye olde three beeps and a shutdown.

NEO0MJ

Also, Skullgirls crashes my ps3 during char select in Online matches at times - what's up with that? It locks up but the music continues to play. Only way to get out of it is to hold the on/off-button followed by ye olde three beeps and a shutdown.

Read this.

It would seem that if NA PSN players try to play against EU PSN players, the game crashes.

Full run-down here...

...Why can't anything ever be easy?

Masaki_

So when is Dacidbro going to another tournament? I haven't seen it yet, but I heard the level of play at SS wasn't very good and JWong just won it free.

I've been meaning to get this since it was launched. I love new fighters, especially if they're fun and or pretty. I've also been meaning to get my hands on a copy of Arcana Heart 3 but I want a disc, so I'll be importing...

These are awesome.

Maybe I should ask the guy to bleep them or something, then I can promote them officially. FB pages and the like are covered by ESRB rules, which prevents me from getting these the attention they deserve.
This is a good idea. The beeps will add to ridiculousness of these videos.
So when is Dacidbro going to another tournament? I haven't seen it yet, but I heard the level of play at SS wasn't very good and JWong just won it free.
Everyone was absolutely free to Justin Wong. Basic lmh combos were dropped. I don't even think that many people were pushblocking...

Edit: Just to show how free it was.
WELL GUYS, I TRIED. How do you accidentally hold down a button - that you're already trained to avoid even brushing against - for a whole quarter of a second? We should give that guy an award.

Guess I'll be raising it to 60 frames if/when we do a Tournament Mode. (-.-)
An actual rage pause even with 15f start button hold for pause lol.
Holy shit @ the cast playthrough.

Fat Albert Double made me lose it.
I've had it sitting in my tabs all day so I have yet to actually watch all of it. That Double would make me fucking lose it. Thanks for that heads up.

Mechazawa

There was an incredibly obscure controller bug that MS required us to fix. If you had an especially non-standard controller plugged in, like a guitar or flight stick, you couldn't get past MS's system menus.

I have yet to see one person claim to have had this happen to them, yet we had to burn our free patch it on it or suffer a delay until mid-May.

I can't believe this shit.

I will have no regrets when I quit on the Xbox brand. This is definitely my last year with live.

it really sucks to hear that you had to waste the free patch to fix that bullshit.?

I'm a bit late on this, but for the record, there was another user on different board I frequent who consistently mentioned his stick fucking up his menus and having to alternate between hitting the guide button until he actually made it into an in game match and out of the menus. Switching to another(really shitty) stick fixed his problem, although ultimately, he just ended up selling it.

So I think this goes further than just "man microsoft just being dicks"

Had a quick look at story mode after I bought this and was soundly trounced in bout 2, but haven't really had the time to have a proper go until today.

I'm in the Tutorial, and have been for well over an hour now. The last 2 are nuts and I'm having 'nam-like flashbacks to the trials in the various SFIV's.

Whoever looked at this and said "Hmmm, white background, eh... what we need is white text that appears directly behind the static character. That's the way to go" should be severely reprimanded. Preferably slap-based.

It's so needlessly awkward.

FSLink

Banned
So is it just me, or can I not pause during arcade mode and story mode on the 360 version? I know you have to hold down start but it just doesn't pause, lol

Top Bottom