• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim: Gigantic Info Flood And Screens [Update: Tons Of New Info In OP]

Excko

verbum said:
Maybe fishing too! Cabela for Wizards. : )

I just thought of something, what was that game where you had to fish in a certain spot and catch a fish in order to proceed in the game. Someone made a funny video of it a year or two ago.

In Nier, you have to fish to proceed past a certain point.

Blue Ninja said:
mdj9Z.jpg

f1Sji.jpg

I had back in my head that Oblivion still looks beautiful ( haven't played the game for years now ).... BUT after seeing this, HOLY GOD!!!!

It's like a new generation :O

NIGHT-

Fallout 3 was a lot better on 360 than PS3. Oblivion was slightly better on 360 than PS3. Either way PC version with mods were the way to go!!!

The Praiseworthy said:
I had back in my head that Oblivion still looks beautiful ( haven't played the game for years now ).... BUT after seeing this, HOLY GOD!!!!

It's like a new generation :O

The environments, and day/night cycle are still pretty nice, but the characters NEVER looked good IMO. Games like MGS3, and Half Life 2 had such better looking character models, and they were from 2 years before Oblivion. Nice to see how far they've come since then.

Despera

Banned
If I can use my 360 controller on the PC version then that's what I'm getting.

Otherwise, it's either the PS3 or 360 version.

Darkman M

Despera said:

Yeah, that should be pretty much standard now and im sure it will be here,even so i just used a program like Pinnacle to play Oblivion with my controller.

Despera said:

I said the same thing before and someone reminded me that both Fallout 3 and New Vegas use the controller (i have no clue if oblivion does), so it's probably safe to assume this will too.

KJTB

I hope those graphics are also going to be like that for the ps3/xbox...

I might have to build a computer now :/

mhznet

Dipindots said:
I hope those graphics are also going to be like that for the ps3/xbox...

I might have to build a computer now :/

Well, they are claiming everything we've seen so far is from the Xbox ver.

Edit: spelling

UnblessedSoul said:
Does anyone know if you can still choose your star sign/class or custom class at the beginning of the game?
As far as I know, birthsigns are still in. Classes are gone.

And yep, Beth's claiming all footage we've seen so far is 360 footage. Expect the PS3 to look very similar.

dalin80

Banned
UnblessedSoul said:
Does anyone know if you can still choose your star sign/class or custom class at the beginning of the game?

Yes, but its like the rest of the choices in the game, cut down to one.

Doodlebug

Birth signs are out according to this article.
Other decisions, like Birth Sign, have been removed, so players needn't worry about making a game-ruining decision within the first hour.
I think gender, race, appearance and name are the only things decided upon at the start of the game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, considering most birth signs were just stat gains, and most stats are gone, it makes sense. I'm not against it, but I'd like to have a birth sign just for kicks.

Seanspeed

Banned
UnblessedSoul said:
Damn I really enjoyed choosing star sign etc at the beginning, it made your character feel more varied and unique ah well
I dont think it did at all. I would make the decision and then forget all about it within the first hour of being out of the sewer.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
water_wendi said:
Well i guess since PC gamers are only 10% of the audience so we'll get whats appropriate. In other words, im betting its a console UI again.

they said that PC will have its own UI...

Kinitari said:
Skyrim confirmed to be the best hunting simulator ever? I really want to shoot a mammoth in the eye.

Only if the animals run at the speeds that they are supposed to run at.

Glares at dat "arrow meet wolf gif".

At the rate they're going there won't be any skills in ES6, just perks, so we won't have all these numbers to worry about. On that note racial bonuses will be removed too, so it's just a cosmetic choice. Why should I have to play a race I don't like the look of just to get a bonus I want, after all?

Oh and instead of having tons of equipment of varying quality, there will be only a handful of items that are all the same, just different. I mean once you get Daedric weapon why use anything else? Like in Call of Duty you don't just toss aside the first gun you have once you unlock the last, right?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
ssolitare said:
Only if the animals run at the speeds that they are supposed to run at.

Glares at dat "arrow meet wolf gif".

That was actually my one big problem with Red Dead Redemption. All the wildlife was slow as fuck. My horse should NOT be able to completely outrun a goddamn mountain lion. At the very least it should be a close chase with the puma eventually giving up due to exhaustion.

For creating a game that got so many things right, I think Rockstar could have gone the extra mile with regards to the animals in the game. Would have made the experience that much better.

MrOogieBoogie said:
That was actually my one big problem with Red Dead Redemption. All the wildlife was slow as fuck. My horse should NOT be able to completely outrun a goddamn mountain lion. At the very least it should be a close chase with the puma eventually giving up due to exhaustion.

For creating a game that got so many things right, I think Rockstar could have gone the extra mile with regards to the animals in the game. Would have made the experience that much better.
Except that getting mauled by a freakin' cougar every time you ran into one would get old, fast.

"Oh hey, a Coug... OH MY GOD ME AND MY HORSE ARE DEAD AGAIN."

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Confidence Man said:
At the rate they're going there won't be any skills in ES6, just perks, so we won't have all these numbers to worry about. On that note racial bonuses will be removed too, so it's just a cosmetic choice. Why should I have to play a race I don't like the look of just to get a bonus I want, after all?

Oh and instead of having tons of equipment of varying quality, there will be only a handful of items that are all the same, just different. I mean once you get Daedric weapon why use anything else? Like in Call of Duty you don't just toss aside the first gun you have once you unlock the last, right?

Dat slippery slope

X26

Banned
I honestly don't mind the changes to skills and such, in both morrowind and oblivion no matter what you could always be a jack of all trades, would like to see something other than that instead this time around

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Blue Ninja said:
Except that getting mauled by a freakin' cougar every time you ran into one would get old, fast.

"Oh hey, a Coug... OH MY GOD ME AND MY HORSE ARE DEAD AGAIN."

That's why you limit the number of cougar/bear/wolf encounters and actually make them animals to be feared and not just obstacles in your way.

And a horse should not die in one hit to a cougar. Sure, I don't expect Rockstar to implement full predator-prey throat takedown animations, but a horse should be able to sustain a few paw swipes by a cougar. So there...

I couldn't help but face-palm when I saw all those bears in Tall Trees. That's completely unrealistic. If there were only a few bear encounters it'd make Tall Trees much more unnerving, especially if they weren't so goddamn slow and lumbering.

Lyphen said:
Slippery slopes are fun.

While I can see the streamlining pissing fans off, I'm kind of looking forward to it. Oblivion was the kind of game I felt compelled to spend hours studying a faq just to create a character. Again, though, I get why people would be upset because the Elder Scrolls games have always been about complexity and freedom.

dalin80

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
While I can see the streamlining pissing fans off, I'm kind of looking forward to it. Oblivion was the kind of game I felt compelled to spend hours studying a faq just to create a character.

That was more to do with the atrocious levelling system where unless you were incredibly careful the rest of the world (which levels up every time you do) would become more and more powerful then you as you advanced. It forced players to make spreadsheets and control what they were doing to earn skill points just to try and get ahead.

Whoever decided level scaling was a good idea has hopefully been took outside and shot.

I forgot what birthsign I picked 2 hours after so I don't really care at all. It obviously didn't have any worthwhile effect or I would have noticed it. Same thing with some of these attributes, if their only purpose is to dump points into health or magic to give some false sign of "complexity"...then just let me put points into health and magic!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
X26 said:
I honestly don't mind the changes to skills and such, in both morrowind and oblivion no matter what you could always be a jack of all trades, would like to see something other than that instead this time around

I can understand this since theres never been a definite sense of classes in the series but that was kind of the beauty of TES series cause if you were a mage or a swordsman and you really wanted to you could train your other skills and become good with a bow or be able to sneak well or pick locks. It was realistic in a way that if you practiced something youd actually get better and you werent limited to allotting imaginary numbers to skills or having to choose some predefined template at birth which forced you to live by a specific skill set your whole life.

dalin80

Banned
Ickman3400 said:
I forgot what birthsign I picked 2 hours after so I don't really care at all. It obviously didn't have any worthwhile effect or I would have noticed it. Same thing with some of these attributes, if their only purpose is to dump points into health or magic to give some false sign of "complexity"...then just let me put points into health and magic!

The signs were awesome, atronach for instance gives you a hell of a mana pool boost but you couldn't naturally regenerate. The steed let you sprint across the map in minutes.

dalin80 said:
That was more to do with the atrocious levelling system where unless you were incredibly careful the rest of the world (which levels up every time you do) would become more and more powerful then you as you advanced. It forced players to make spreadsheets and control what they were doing to earn skill points just to try and get ahead.

Whoever decided level scaling was a good idea has hopefully been took outside and shot.

Yeah, that was my biggest problem with the game. My first time I played I leveled whenever I had the chance without thinking about it. I started over after realizing in the long run the game was easier if you actually didn't level that often, which always seemed counter intuitive to me. Is scaling back or is leveling more like Fallout now.

dalin80 said:
The signs were awesome, atronach for instance gives you a hell of a mana pool boost but you couldn't naturally regenerate. The steed let you sprint across the map in minutes.

Yeah I remember most of them were give and take type things. I really don't like that so I picked one that just gave a small bonus to strength or something. Even in New Vegas with the traits I usually pick wild wasteland and the one where you get +2 something (I think perception) just for wearing glasses.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Confidence Man said:
They are.

Imagine if someone told you three years ago you wouldn't have mainstays like attributes or birthsigns in the next Elder Scrolls game. Ridiculous!
Yeah, I'd be kind of shocked but luckily I'm coming at this with a clear head after being blueballed by Mass Effect 2. Signs weren't important, and neither were stats (which, like Howard said, you were really only putting points to boost up one of their new three traits). Signs, on the other hand, just didn't affect the gameplay much. They really were either front-end stat gains or borderline useless abilities like 5 minutes of night vision every in-game day or whatever that unlocking thing the Tower was.

No doubt, I'd like them in for flavour, either just as a useless character trait, or by altering your abilities depending on the view of the night sky, or even shrines of worship only activated (pillar of light) when they're visible, but I won't whine if they don't make an appearance. Much.

dalin80

Banned
GillianSeed79 said:
I leveled whenever I had the chance without thinking about it. I started over after realizing in the long run the game was easier if you actually didn't level that often.

Oblivion was at its easiest if you played through the quests without ever levelling.

I never really got into Oblivion (have it on 360), but for some reason, this game is making me excited. I already have a great monitor, but I hope to build a PC over the summer to do justice to some of my older games, as well as kick ass on some newer games like this.

CrocMother said:
This made me think that the next ES should definitely be a prequel!
TES history's a lot different from ours, though. I'd love to see a prequel take place during the Akaviri invasion or the War of the Red Diamond. Though an Akaviri invasion is definitely something they can put in the future, as well: heck, before we knew the Dragons were envoys of big bad Alduin, a lot of people thought they were part of an Akaviri invasion force. :lol

Mr_Brit

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
TES history's a lot different from ours, though. I'd love to see a prequel take place during the Akaviri invasion or the War of the Red Diamond. Though an Akaviri invasion is definitely something they can put in the future, as well: heck, before we knew the Dragons were envoys of big bad Alduin, a lot of people thought they were part of an Akaviri invasion force. :lol
They'll probably focus on making games set in other provinces before that as they've still to show in Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim detail places like Summerset Isle, High Rock etc.

loss of attributes, and birthsigns suck, but with smart trait design it shouldnt be hard to have very diverse characters (at least until endgame where ur master of everything like every other Bethesda game). And with the leveling being more along the Fallout 3 lines, than the ball demolishing lameness that was oblivions, skyrim is already better than oblivion to me.

Top Bottom