• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SLAM AT VID JERKS

aparisi2274

I just read this in the NY POST.

August 3, 2005 -- Young protesters came to town yesterday, massing outside the SoHo offices of a video-game maker about to release a "Columbine-like" game called "Bully."

Carrying banners reading "President Bush, save the youth, don't let us down," more than 150 kids from Peaceaholics, a not-for-profit mentoring organization, came from Washington, D.C., to the offices of Rockstar Games.

"A lot of youth are playing these games and there's a lot of violence that people are copying," said Cordero Sellers, 16. "I'm trying to do my best to stop this release."

The company, which earlier created the violent, controversial "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," is about to issue "Bully," featuring a high-school student who gets picked on but turns the tide on his tormenters — with extreme violence against other students and teachers, say the protesters.

It is a scenario similar to the April 1999 Columbine HS massacre in Colorado, in which two students killed 12 classmates, a teacher and themselves.

The protesters demanded an audience with Rockstar officials, but no one from the company came out.

"It's important that we're here today because violent images seen on games are copied by kids," said Anthony Ford, 17.

"We're trying to stop people getting hurt before it's too late."

Florida lawyer and anti-violence activist John Thompson accompanied the kids.

"Columbine changed the face of America but you [Rockstar] are about to come out with a game that celebrates, glamorizes and trains kids to do what [Columbine killers] Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris did," said Thompson.

"Bullying is not a subject for a video game. We are not asking Rockstar to stop making this game, we are demanding they stop."

Rockstar is keeping details of the plot a closely guarded secret but describes it as "humorous" and "tongue in cheek."

The company states on its Web site: "As a troublesome schoolboy, you'll stand up to bullies, get picked on by teachers, play pranks on malicious kids, win or lose the girl and ultimately learn to navigate the obstacles of the fictitious reform school Bullworth Academy."

The game is due to be released for Xbox and Playstation 2 in October.

A security guard at Rockstar's office on Broadway said: "There is nobody available for comment and that is that."

The company did not return phone calls from The Post.

This country is getting crazier and crazier!!! What makes me laugh, is you know that the R* guys were all sitting in their offices laughing... thanking this protest for the free publicity.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
This country is so ass backwards..... how the f*ck can you be a world leader, a superpower as it were when so many of your citizens just don't have a f*ckin clue?

Ponn

Banned
Yea, down with the Constitution, impede my right to enjoy games at your twisted parenting expense. Yippeee!

"A security guard at Rockstar's office on Broadway said: "There is nobody available for comment and that is that."

That's because ROckstar is too busy swimming in the piles of money that they've made from free promotion.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DarienA said:
This country is so ass backwards..... how the f*ck can you be a world leader, a superpower as it were when so many of your citizens just don't have a f*ckin clue?

Every country has citizens with no clue though.

Anyway, this whole thing is stupid. Personally, I think the idea behind the game is stupid, but I don't think a game turns someone into a bad person. They do that on their own. You have freewill - learn to fucking use it right people - you dumbasses.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:
Every country has citizens with no clue though.

Anyway, this whole thing is stupid. Personally, I think the idea behind the game is stupid, but I don't think a game turns someone into a bad person. They do that on their own. You have freewill - learn to fucking use it right people - you dumbasses.

Yeah but I live here, so I'm commenting on our idiots ;)

It's like this dumbass DC pastor saying lesbian gangs are a severe threat to black families... and here I thought the lack of fuckin parenting going on was more of a threat... silly me...

You know what they're going to go after next.

B0001EFV9K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zack and Slater would always pick on geeks. This was what's caused all the bullying in schools.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You know what they're going to go after next.

B0001EFV9K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Zack and Slater would always pick on geeks. This was what's caused all the bullying in schools.

You know whats really pathetic? At times I would watch that damn show just because of the hotties in it. Boy was that show dumb, but it had great eye candy.

It made me the bully I am today too ;) :lol

You must've missed their Emmy worthy episode for Jesse. She got hooked on caffeine pills.

"I'm so excited...I'm so excited..I'm so so scared."

:lol

Eric P

Florida lawyer and anti-violence activist John Thompson accompanied the kids.

in other news, Jack Thompson is now protesting the NY Post.

"When will the media get my name right?" the distraught lawyer is reported to have said.

LakeEarth

I know the joke is that "this is free publicity", but honestly it is. I had no interest in this game until this past week when the game keeps being mentioned again and again. Now I'm interested! :lol

explodet

You also gotta imagine Rockstar's lawyers are licking their chops thinking about all those extra hours they're going to get from the inevitable litigation.

Zensetsu

Jerk at slam vids?
:lol

But seriously, its just free publicity for Rockstar. I seriously doubt an action like this would ever succeed, the most they would achieve is increasing the classification for a game.

Top Bottom