• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleep disorder-age: Feels like my bed is vibrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, my sleep patterns can be rough. Sometimes it takes hours for me to drift off, I sleepwalk on occasion, and so on. This is fairly new though...

It first happened a few months ago. I was lying there around 3 A.M. when all of a sudden I became aware that my bed was shaking. At first I thought the A/C was kicking on (Even though it wouldn't cause such a thing; sleepy logic) But this lasted for at least a minute. I thought it was odd, but I didn't think much of it. The same thing would happen a few more times throughout these past few months.

Then last night it got more intense and lasted much longer. I was more awake, and could sort of evaluate the situation. The vibration definitely seemed stronger. I actually thought, "Okay, I'm not imagining this. This is a goddamn earthquake or something." But then I realized that I didn't hear any of the change piled up on my nightstand rattling, or anything else that should be happening. All I could hear was my fan and a mild humming sound that one would associate with vibrations. I sat up and tried to make sense of it, but just gave up and lied back down.

Googling just turns up a few forum posts of people asking why their bed is shaking, with no real answers. Is this even documented?

It's pretty freaky. Anybody else deal with this or something similar?

Also, I'm going to go ahead and eliminate this joke:

bET6X.jpg

Are you taking any medications right now? Have you talked to a doctor about this?

It could be an inner ear thing. Maybe you have a lot of ear wax buildup? Try Debrox drops for that; don't use Q-tips, they just push it back further.

rezuth

My brother experienced this once, he claimed his apartment was possessed or something and he refused to sleep there any further afterwards. He moved and haven't experienced it since.

Mononofu

Google "Hypnagogic state"

Wiki:

Sleep paralysis
Humming, roaring, hissing, rushing, zapping, and buzzing noises are frequent in conjunction with sleep paralysis (SP). This happens when the REM atonia sets in sooner than usual, before the person is fully asleep, or persists longer than usual, after the person has (in other respects) fully awoken.[18] Sleep paralysis is reportedly very frequent among narcoleptics. It occurs frequently in about 6% of the rest of the population, and occurs occasionally in 60%.[30] In surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20 to 60% of individuals reported having experienced SP at least once in their lifetime.[31][32] The paralysis itself is frequently accompanied by additional phenomena. Typical examples include a feeling of being crushed or suffocated, electric "tingles" or "vibrations", imagined speech and other noises, the imagined presence of a visible or invisible entity, and sometimes intense emotion: fear or euphoria and orgasmic feelings.[31][33] SP has been proposed as an explanation for at least some alien abduction experiences and shadow people hauntings.[34]

I occasionally take galantamine hydrobromide + choline to induce lucid dreams and get some of these effects.

see5harp

I actually had the same thing happen to me for a period of time in college. Really freaky because it's almost like one of those states where you are awake but not fully in control of your body. Almost a lucid dream or conscious sleepwalk. At first you think your entire bed is shaking, not violently or anything, but definitely more than a subtle vibration. After a few times of this I realized that nothing was actually shaking and just figured it was a lucid dream.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
sounds like sleep paralysis, i get it too whenever i sleep on my back. :/ it's really freaky. mostly, i hear voices that aren't there, but i've felt the bed "moving" before, too.

I get this once in a while. It's kinda annoying but then I fall back asleep. It feels like my body is vibrating, like electricity is running through it, sometimes it pools in one side of my body and fell rather unpleasant. Sometimes it feels like I'm falling down a spiralling tunnel. Probably sleep paralysis.

Don't worry you won't die from it. I have noticed that typically it happens when I go to bed around 3AM.

ALIENS

Is there any real proof for OOBEs? I have read that symptoms like these are OOB related but I don't buy it.

Wiki:

I occasionally take galantamine hydrobromide + choline to induce lucid dreams and get some of these effects.

I guess that's it, then. I've experienced those other symptoms before. I guess bed shaking is better than seeing people in my room.

I've had that happen. I have a cat that sometimes comes in at night and walks around my bed, and the vibrations feel like that, but the cat would be nowhere around. Freaky shit.

Mononofu

I get this once in a while. It's kinda annoying but then I fall back asleep. It feels like my body is vibrating, like electricity is running through it, sometimes it pools in one side of my body and fell rather unpleasant. Sometimes it feels like I'm falling down a spiralling tunnel. Probably sleep paralysis.

Don't worry you won't die from it. I have noticed that typically it happens when I go to bed around 3AM.

ALIENS

Is there any real proof for OOBEs? I have read that symptoms like these are OOB related but I don't buy it.

The Science of Out-of-Body Experiences

I sure they happen, hate the new age spin that's placed on them.

ALIENS <<<<<<<<< DEMONS

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.

Wiki:

Yeah, I experienced the shadow person thing about a week ago. Scariest experience of my life, which I guess makes me lucky, but it was deeply unnerving as it was happening because I couldn't really move. I literally saw and heard it run through my room to turn off an alarm that started going off that didn't actually exist.

Of course this was after I asked it to get me my bag and heard the bag open (velcro) and then be put down out of my eyesight.

edit: Oh, and I had the feeling of a cat walking on my bed before that shit, and of course I don't have a cat.

Switters

Lol. This happened to me a lot growing up.

I also lived in a Christian household that believed there was an invisible war with Satan going all around us for our very souls. So, everything inexplicable was usually demons or demonic influence. I was scared shitless, but never mentioned it.

Then there was the time when a brother in the church experienced this - they burned the bed and laid hands on him all night.

Then I found beer, which cures all sleep disorders.

Are you sure it's not a washing machine? I thought I was going crazy for a few weeks before I realized the washing machine in the basement was making the bed shake...

Heretic

Holy crap! This happens to me ALL THE TIME!!! I wake up shaking like crazy. I have to stop and look at the shelves to make sure it's not an earthquake or something.

Herla

I have arachnophobia and sometimes I wake up and see enormous, gigantic spiders in my room.
The effect lasts for a couple of minutes and, as fucking terrifying as it is (I literally wake up screaming), I find it incredibly fascinating.

Well, when I started getting regular sleep paralysis a couple of years back (don't seem to get it any more), I managed to "roll" myself slowly out of my body, and off the bed, and found that I could stand up and walk (albeit, very, very heavy, as though a bungee cord was attached to me, not allowing me to walk very far). I could walk around my room in this state...although my sight was slightly compromised and very foggy. I would then quickly "snap" back and appear back in bed, exactly in the same position I was sleeping in.

I'd had Lucid Dreams before, and this felt very different, and it always started with the sleep vibrations (and occaionally the "invisible" sleep paralysis "entity").

After I was able to do it on a regular basis, I'd explore my room, and the rest of my house, but I started to notice things were slightly different in the room, when I was in this state, light switches being in slightly different places, etc. I then became a lot more suspect as to whether these were OOBE's or not, or some bizarre Lucid Dream state. So, I devised an ingenious plan to test whether this was real. Before I went to sleep, I'd get a deck of cards, shuffle them, and without looking at the top one, place them face up on a high surface.

Later on in the night, when I had the "OOBE", I'd walk over to the cards, and look at the top one...and it would be, oooh, let's say 7 of spades. When I later woke up, I'd go and check the actual cards .......

....and they would be complely different...

The more I tried it, I got to the stage where the actual card face would change, as though my brain was having difficulty trying to figure out what the card should be.

This lead me to conclude that the OOBE was not "real" and was likely just a very convincing way my brain was able to reconstruct my room from memory, even down to the last detail, and make it seem as though I was walking around whilst still being asleep in bed. The card trick allowed me to check whether it was real or not, as I had no idea what the top card was, therefore my memory of it would be ambiguous...which proved to be the case.

So, in short TLDR; I think OOBE's are just created by the brain during sleep, but certainly "feel" very real, until you come to test them and look at them in more detail.

I would, however, be interested to hear anyone else's opinion on the matter! :)

But I can confirm that the OP will probably experience some similar experiences, in the next few months or so, as the vibrations just seem to be the start of it. But nothing to worry about, just have fun!

JiuJitsuka

Neo Member
I have arachnophobia and sometimes I wake up and see enormous, gigantic spiders in my room.
The effect lasts for a couple of minutes and, as fucking terrifying as it is (I literally wake up screaming), I find it incredibly fascinating.

That is like the worst sh*t ever man. I too have arachnophobia, but thankfully I never hallucinate large enormous spiders.. You should really do something about it, it must be terrible.. X_X

I used to have the best kind of sleep paralysis. Pretty much felt like having sex complete with climax. I don't have them anymore though

Mr. Fix

For me, it's like feeling waves pass through my back. I thought that was normal, and that if I focused on it long enough I'd be able to drift into a dream/sleep. Never worked for me though. :/

IpsoFacto

That sucks for the OP.

I've had similar situations, Sometimes it's pretty hard for me to get more than 6 hours worth of sleep on a consistent basis.

Weekends are Hell for me. Because when I know that I don't have to go to work the next day, I can be up till 3 am, but since I'm used to getting up at 8am every day anyway, it makes Saturday mornings particularly rough.

What motivates sleeping disorders?

Anxiety for one (a bed shaking all of a sudden can catch you by surprise).
Drinking tea before going to bed is a no-no too, because your bladder will not let you sleep for an entire night.
Cramps, if your leg is set up awkwardly it might cause some stress and sudden twitch.

I think music therapy is a very inexpensive solution.

Have an MP3 player on standby. Even something as simple as 10 minutes of raindrop imposed over very smooth jazz can make you black out pretty easily.

Jimothy

Yeah, I experienced the shadow person thing about a week ago. Scariest experience of my life, which I guess makes me lucky, but it was deeply unnerving as it was happening because I couldn't really move. I literally saw and heard it run through my room to turn off an alarm that started going off that didn't actually exist.

Of course this was after I asked it to get me my bag and heard the bag open (velcro) and then be put down out of my eyesight.

edit: Oh, and I had the feeling of a cat walking on my bed before that shit, and of course I don't have a cat.

I had one of those shadow person things a while ago too. I was completely paralyzed and saw a black figure open the door and walk to the edge of my bed and start staring at me. I guess it was a lucid dream because I made the face of the figure to be my mom's and I wasn't scared of it anymore. Then I woke up.

I've had what I feel qualifies as sleep paralysis myself a few times too. It felt like someone was sitting on my chest, breathing and looking around (in pitch dark no less) felt exhausting as shit. But I'm normally not able to move a muscle really.

I think I've had like 10 times over the last 8 years or so. At first it freaked me out. Especially as I wasn't sure whether I was dreaming or that what was happening was real. Then google answered that question for me. And now whenever it happens again, I don't even really panic anymore. I just remind myself that my body still thinks it's asleep and that it'll awaken in what feels like a 30 seconds to a minute (but it might be shorter really). After a short while the movements in the neck, arms, legs muscles and well.. everywhere else start working again.

It's all to prevent you from actually performing the crazy shit you might do in one of your dreams.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Happens to me every night, even while trying to go to sleep I feel as though my bed is shaking. I also often have the sleep paralysis shit, that's far worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom