• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Early Reviews

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I wish I had a dollar for every single time a game I ended up absolutely loving got lots of 7.0-7.5 review scores. These days it seems like so many forget that is on the upper end of the 10 scale and automatically think it's shit unless it scores at least a 9.0. It would be hilarious, were it not so sad.

This why I wish we could at least just do away with numbers in reviews altogether, as they have caused the downfall of many games that are actually great on the whole. People just ignore this, though, and go straight for the highest numbers. This is the very kind of thing that scares devs away from wanting to roll the dice and take chances with something new.

Same here. What's even more annoying is hearing people/friends say they're not getting X game due to it "only" getting an 7 or an 8. Yeeesh!

I take 7's as a sign that if you like a genre, then you should like it enough.

I don't care much for reviews anymore, to be honest. I do listen to a few reviewers that I like, but for the most part, some of the reviews are either pandering too much, gripe after gripe, or you feel that a review feels "entitled" for the developer to cater to their whims.

Reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt. People doing said reviews are human and all of us have different tastes. Them saying X game gets X score does not make it a fact. Just an opinion that's on a higher soapbox than others.

That applies for most games, but for those really bad ones? Mostly, reviewers get them right. Poop is still poop no matter what your taste is. :)

Jimrpg

The GI review is really weird for one reason. His reason 1 makes no sense. Activision would not have seen this in an end state. So "lack of faith" doesn't make a lick of sense unless they looked at an alpha of a game and said "nope not perfect we have a lack of faith now" Seems odd unless I am misreading.. Obviously the gunplay was going to be cookie cutter we would see that from the videos. Sad but its something I personally can ignore. VERY happy about the driving notes.

Activision is in the business to make money and Sleeping Dogs wasn't going to be a big enough hit for them to justify their time/opportunity cost.

You don't have to see it in its end state to make a decision on the game and how much its going to sell, in fact the activision guy states they changed buisiness models so they had to let a whole bunch of games go... the blur developers are another that got tossed aside...

i would assume that from the content alone in the game, its a niche crowd and depending on feedback from gamers might get some word of mouth and do some ok numbers around 200-300k but its not the million seller Activision wanted.

having said that im glad its out of activision's hands because it would have surely failed just like Blur. Lets hope for some long legs like Just Cause 2.

Karak

Activision is in the business to make money and Sleeping Dogs wasn't going to be a big enough hit for them to justify their time/opportunity cost.

You don't have to see it in its end state to make a decision on the game and how much its going to sell, in fact the activision guy states they changed buisiness models so they had to let a whole bunch of games go... the blur developers are another that got tossed aside...

i would assume that from the content alone in the game, its a niche crowd and depending on feedback from gamers might get some word of mouth and do some ok numbers around 200-300k but its not the million seller Activision wanted.

having said that im glad its out of activision's hands because it would have surely failed just like Blur. Lets hope for some long legs like Just Cause 2.

Right thats what we all said weeks ago. What the review says is totally different. Its either very poorly written or just completely nonsensical as to what occurs in development. What we have described for weeks which is what you reiterated above is totally spot on. Maybe he REALLY felt the need to explain how many bugs there were? *shrugs* it is what it is. I will still be renting it for sure.

I can't believe so many of you seem to know people who say they won't get a game that gets a 7 and actually back it up all the time. I know people who say it, or write it, but always they can be found to just be hyperboling over specific titles. It seems almost impossible for an actual gamer to do something like that. Or just a very sad life for the gamer, playing just a very small sliver of the games available today at the opinion of some random person.

Jimrpg

Right thats what we all said weeks ago. What the review says is totally different. Its either very poorly written or just completely nonsensical as to what occurs in development. What we have described for weeks which is what you reiterated above is totally spot on. Maybe he REALLY felt the need to explain how many bugs there were? *shrugs* it is what it is. I will still be renting it for sure.

I can't believe so many of you seem to know people who say they won't get a game that gets a 7 and actually back it up all the time. I know people who say it, or write it, but always they can be found to just be hyperboling over specific titles. It seems almost impossible for an actual gamer to do something like that. Or just a very sad life for the gamer, playing just a very small sliver of the games available today at the opinion of some random person.

i see what you're saying :p

yes its just poorly written then... bugs aren't the only reason activision dropped it but probably one of many reasons.

also to your second point - i don't get very many games, im sure there's alot of people sitting on the fence with certain games and they need to decide if they should get them or not or wait for a steam sale to hit when its 75% off and $5...

Karak

i see what you're saying :p

yes its just poorly written then... bugs aren't the only reason activision dropped it but probably one of many reasons.

also to your second point - i don't get very many games, im sure there's alot of people sitting on the fence with certain games and they need to decide if they should get them or not or wait for a steam sale to hit when its 75% off and $5...

Ya agreed totally on certain games. But it sounds like people have friends/coworkers who just won't get a game of any kind thats not a 9. That seems beyond irrational to me I guess. On the other hand, waiting for savings is not really ever a bad idea:)

Also as a poster above said USUALLY reviewers do get it right when they all rate something SUPER low like a 2-3. Even though...I have enjoyed a good number of games in that sector as well hahahahaha.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Well, after debating this for the past few weeks, I finally put in my pre-order using NewEgg's $48 code, even though I still have a ridiculous backlog. Hopefully the game turns out well!

DJIzana

Well, after debating this for the past few weeks, I finally put in my pre-order using NewEgg's $48 code, even though I still have a ridiculous backlog. Hopefully the game turns out well!

Good call... really hoping more people jump on the train. Funny seeing how on Gametrailers.com that most people are looking forward to Darksiders 2 though.

I like the Darksider series but I chose to get Sleeping Dogs instead, I'll borrow it Darksiders 2 from my other friend that chose that instead. I gotta support our Vancouver devs, we need the love right now! :p

Zep

Banned
Think I'll avoid using guns as much as I can(which will be a first for a sandbox game). Fits the setting of the game more.

UrbanRats

Amazon uk tells me it'll get released on the 17(Fri), so in the US it should be the 14? In that case the thread should go up tomorrow, i think.

SJRB

Gold Member
Still waiting on those system requirements, by the way..

I refuse to pre-purchase a game blindly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only thing known [according to my information] is that it's Vista/7 only, so no XP.

Other than that it are all guestimates.

This almost gurantees DX10/11 only.
XP cant (without hacks) run DX10 or 11.
Usually when games say Vista/7 only it means the game itself is DX10/DX11 only.

I need this game in my veins right now......I havent been this excited for a Sleeper hit since Just Cause 2

dreamfall

I'm so HYPED! Really excited about the OT tomorrow, waiting for the Pre-load on Steam. It shall be so grand!

I am a little bit worried about the shooting aspect; only because the hand to hand combat looks really dynamic in comparison. And maybe the shooting mechanics may take precedent later in the game, like Ryckert reviewed. Alas, scores seem so arbitrary and even with the criticisms, it's looking to be nice open world action title. Can. NOT. WAIT!

UrbanRats

Those quotes makes it seem really mediocre.

I guess that I have to continue to wait for a citybased sandbox games that´s not just ok, but actually pushes the genre forward.

It's a very expensive genre to develop, so in that sense only big names like R* and such has more of a shot at "pushing it forward".
That said, those quotes easily apply to GTA4 and other praised open world games that though seem to usually get a pass.

An open world game should be especially judged in its entirety, due to its polyedric nature, so i'm not too worried about a non-top notch gunplay.
Of course i don't want to sound delusional or anything, the game can still end up sucking bad, it just comes off (GI's) as weak criticism for an open world game.

eXistor

Is Skylandars huge in america? Because here in Ireland and in the rest of Europe it's virtually non-existent and the same can be said for Japan.

I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but here in the Netherlands it's absolutely huge. Like Pokémon huge.

ironcreed

Banned
Came across this thanks to Twitter... good production quality, fan made video for Sleeping Dogs. (Though some parts aren't believable they still did an amazing job with this.)

Enjoy the watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WgWMgGrZDY&feature=youtu.be

Hell yeah, some badass moves in that little skit. Just like there are badass moves in the game, and that is why I say to hell with guns. I am looking forward to the focus on martial arts. Which is the main focus of the gameplay anyway.

DJIzana

Hell yeah, some badass moves in that little skit. Just like there are badass moves in the game, and that is why I say to hell with guns. I am looking forward to the focus on martial arts. Which is the main focus of the gameplay anyway.

Well said man, guns are getting boring for me now. (Mainly due to all the FPS games out there lol.)

I've always been interested in martial arts too. I wish they had some Muay Thai though... hopefully I can see some Kenpō too! (Obviously it's more focused on the Chinese martial arts though but still, it'd be nice!)

Top Bottom