• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs Pax (Cam) Vid

iratA

Looks goooooood I hope this game gets more exposure. I love me an ambitious game, even if it is a little rough around the edges.

GorillaJu

I had absolutely no idea what this was about, until I watched the video here, but the opening scene told me it's basically Asian GTA. The first time they show the protagonist, it's completely obvious that's what he is, and his voice is even more "generic video game protagonist."

Can't really fault them for going down the beaten path, though. Just didn't really do anything special to turn me on. I'll probably check it out if it looks good.

iratA

Yeah I get the Just Cause 2, Prey 2, Yakuza and GTA references. The environments look nicely detailed.

Mario007

Activision dumped it, in part, because they wanted it to be a GTA killer and they didn't think it was. Not that it was a bad game, but they had the bar really, really high and it wasn't up to the task. There are very few if any "GTA killers" out there; only the Saints Row franchise, I guess now.

Square Enix likely assumed they could turn a profit on it and there was something that caught their eye, so they decided to pick it up.

And there's a reason why SE picked it up.

Activision said it wasn't gonna be good enough by the time hit it's original release date and it wouldn't generate the sales they were originally expecting. They dumped it. Square Enix decided to pick it up because they felt that given extra time to polish the game, they'd have a hit on their hands, so they continued funding development and allowed UF to polish Sleeping Dogs as well re-branding it. One of the producers stated the game had a 'sticky' feel, that it was hard to put down, which led to them wanting to publish it. Looks the extra time was for the better. Game's looking good. I'm excited.

Square also said that they want to turn it into a franchise, should it be successful at retail. Kinda strange since they already have one open world franchise, with Just Cause, but I guess the two games target different audiences

Yeah, after catching that eurogamer tv spot, I am officially super hyped about this!

Would be awesome if there was a native language/English sub option

Also, hope they can tone down dat screen tear

Cdammen

The hand-to-hand combat looked great. I love me some kung-fu. Never heard of this game until now, they should promote it more since it seems like the have a really solid game.

iratA

Yep screen tear is my biggest complaint right now. It would be nice if they can optimize it a bit more before launch. Also any collectors/limited editions announced for this?

Still wary, there has to be a reason why Activision abandoned it.

Watch the eurogamer tv bit. Basically it sounds like the game was really starting to come together and they still passed on it ....which given how its basically a COD factory over there, it's really not that surprising.
I'm glad they passed on it and it isn't tied to that shitty IP anymore

eso76

Still wary, there has to be a reason why Activision abandoned it.

More than one, actually.

Because it's not COD
Because Activision is run by idiots who know nothing about games that aren't COD
Because they are completely unable to see the potential in games or developers.

They abandoned Bizarre Creations, ffs. I haven't forgotten.
If Activision didn't like it, then it's probably glorious.
I'm glad they dropped this, so i can actually buy it, now.

In fact this game deserves to sell millions just because of that.

buhdeh

This looks pretty good. Love the setting and the detail in the environments. I enjoyed Yakuza 1 and 2 and this looks like a better Yakuza lol. I will probably buy to support a local Vancouver studio
and spite Activision
anyways!

burgerdog

If you want to see the difference between Vsync or no Vsync on consoles I suggest you play Alan Wake American Nightmare. The Framerate difference is astounding. I no longer question the developers the decision on the matter.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
If you want to see the difference between Vsync or no Vsync on consoles I suggest you play Alan Wake American Nightmare. The Framerate difference is astounding. I no longer question the developers the decision on the matter.

they have an option to vsync it on consoles??

they have an option to vsync it on consoles??

Yeah they added the option but it regularly drops to the 20s when you do enable vsync

I don't mind tearing as long as it's kept in check ala Arkham Asylum/City, Uncharted1, etc.

Opposite of that would be AssCreed or Transformers where every other framerate tears ....it's disgusting

CAVE343

This is quite surprising, it actually looks very nice and the combat seems like fun. Banging heads against the wall and stuff

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Yeah they added the option but it regularly drops to the 20s when you do enable vsync

I don't mind tearing as long as it's kept in check ala Arkham Asylum/City, Uncharted1, etc.

Opposite of that would be AssCreed or Transformers where every other framerate tears ....it's disgusting

hahaha

next:

-textures: high, med, low;
-AF 1-4x;
-AA -0 - 4x;

Misfits

Neo Member
More than one, actually.

Because it's not COD
Because Activision is run by idiots who know nothing about games that aren't COD
Because they are completely unable to see the potential in games or developers.

They abandoned Bizarre Creations, ffs. I haven't forgotten.
If Activision didn't like it, then it's probably glorious.
I'm glad they dropped this, so i can actually buy it, now.

In fact this game deserves to sell millions just because of that.

i agree, but they do support titles that other developers might not. skylanders is one such title, it's a massive money make for them, not on the level of call of duty but anyone who has a nephew, niece, son, daughter will know just crazy they are about this game.

Labadal

Game looks good, but I don't know if I'll pick it up on day one. There are so many interesting games coming out, wich means some games will be bought later

They did a really remarkable job with the city I felt. Looks very good and detailed with a lot going on.

There's a few collision issues and run around in circles AI, but I'm sure that can be ironed out.

I'm actually impressed.

I'm really impressed and glad this was salvaged. When's this come out? Can't wait for an open world in HK. It is open world right?

I had a blast playing this at PAX. Much better than what I was expecting; played the PS3 version and encountered no issues.

Someone said people enemies just stand around when you're engaged; I didn't feel that was the case. I got hit a few times while engaged with someone else.

There was a demo level with a driving section, but I didn't play it.

Cystm

The environments look really good. The controls look so sluggish and unresponsive. The characters seem really cliche. The combat is ripped right from AC with the hapless AI standing around and all.

Need to get my hands on this to see for myself.

I had a blast playing this at PAX. Much better than what I was expecting; played the PS3 version and encountered no issues.

Someone said people enemies just stand around when you're engaged; I didn't feel that was the case. I got hit a few times while engaged with someone else.

That's good to hear. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I saw they reported adding GSP to help with the combat animations or whatever, but I thought the game's been done for a while?

Polyphonic

Neo Member
Haha the Cantonese dialog actually sounds a bit more realistic than what I expected.

Usually on western-produced tv shows, movies and even games, the stuff people would say would not make sense at all or people just wouldn't speak that way in real life.

Hmm.. I would agree also. Although now I keep wanting to hear the voices all in Cantonese . The English and Cantonese mixing together is kind of jarring.

Special J

Banned
character design is so raw and dirty looks great. looks to be footage from the ps3 version

also looks better than yakuza

/runs

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hmm.. I would agree also. Although now I keep wanting to hear the voices all in Cantonese . The English and Cantonese mixing together is kind of jarring.

So true. I wish the protagonist spoke cantonese throughout the game. Better yet, the developers should have an option that the player can play the entire game with cantonese as the primarily voice overs with subtitles.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
So true. I wish the protagonist spoke cantonese throughout the game. Better yet, the developers should have an option that the player can play the entire game with cantonese as the primarily voice overs with subtitles.
I wish they would have this option...

Or have it true HK style with a mix of English and Canto hah! Only place I went to where it was 100% Canto was South China.

Only other change to make at this point is to work on smoothing the animation

Liquid_015

Gold Member
I wish they would have this option...

Or have it true HK style with a mix of English and Canto hah! Only place I went to where it was 100% Canto was South China.

Only other change to make at this point is to work on smoothing the animation

We should totally petition for that, or somehow contact the developers. Hehe, did you go to Hong Kong??

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
New info, wasn't sure if needed a new thread. Release date set for AUG 14.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/13/sleeping-dogs-awaken-on-august-14-pre-orders-defined/

Wonder if the Martial Arts pack features a certain yellow jump suit

edit: Nope
sleepingdogs_preorderuaksv.jpg

Sleeping-Dogs_Pre-Order_bonusLG.jpg

BestBuy hasn't listed theirs yet

Wonder what 'decorations' insists. Customizable cribs?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sleeping Dogs Creed. Hate the "chase the guy through the crowded area" missions that seems to be all too common these days. Combat seems decent though.

I like the look of this game. If the game can offer some new experiences with this open world style I think it will work. The pacing of the story and character development will make or break this game. I hope I don't just shoot random bad guy clones the whole game. This game will need to establish powerful reoccurring villains to hook me. I would also like to see some great allies and partners to help flesh out the main hero.

The problem I had with Stranglehold was that all the bad guys were just random bad guys with little to no back story with the hero. Lots of potential with this title and setting, this is a breath of fresh air.

GeoramA

Day fucking 1, sucks we have to wait another 4 months. Also glad the Amazon pre-order bonus isn't the most inferior one for once.

The driving part looks off. Like you are at universal studio, inside a box, while they shoot a scene all around you.

I know it has been said a million times but since I rarely buy western studio console games, I hate shop exclusive DLC. Enough that it makes me consider not buying the game.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I wasn't aware there was a PC version as well. That's good to hear. The game looks like a lot of fun, and I'd like to play on PC if I can help it.

Top Bottom