• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slight buzz sounds coming from ps4 in standby.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I've been talking to a friend who is only minorly concerned about a buzz sound coming from his ps4 when it's in standby. A quick google shows that a lot of other people have experienced it while others say there's nothing. I listened to mine to see and I hear what I think some could think was an unusual noise, but to me it just sounds like a fan or the HDD in there.

My thoughts are either that, once the sound has been heard, it's all they can really key in on and are just concerned it may be a problem. Or it sounds like it could be the power supply. I suggested trying a different outlet. Either way has anybody else dealt with this at all? Thoughts?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Do you have the option on that lets you charge controllers in standby?

I'll ask him. This is basically what I told him though, is that where on the forums where the discussion is happening, the people who say there isn't a noise, are probably people with different settings as far as standby abilities, whether it's the wake on remote play, or charging controllers.

majik13

mine started making a really loud sound when the disc started spinning just recently, but if I just barely moved it, or lifted it slightly, or applied the tinniest bit of pressure to the case, it would compeltely stop making the sound. seems to be the vibration from the disc spinning and the way it is resting in my entertainment cabinet is hitting some resonance to make it rattle the case or internals. But if I just slightly reposition it after seraval different tries, then it seems to go away.

but on topic, mine seems to be silent when in standby, though I ussually just power it al the way off.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Bumpin with bizarre update.

His ps4 froze with a blinking white light, he's unplugged it and now the white light is still blinking. I know the power supply lasts a bit after being unplugged from my cousin moving his between his house and mine, he unplugs it and accidentily turns it back on after unplugged already, but it's been 10 minutes and it still won't stop.

Bumpin with bizarre update.

His ps4 froze with a blinking white light, he's unplugged it and now the white light is still blinking. I know the power supply lasts a bit after being unplugged from my cousin moving his between his house and mine, he unplugs it and accidentily turns it back on after unplugged already, but it's been 10 minutes and it still won't stop.

Sounds like a PSU/Transformer issue imo.

Could be holding a charge so the PSU/transformer acts as a capacitor due to a fault. Same idea that MI cable holds a capacitance when carrying out testing/through use.

You could try discharging the PS4, however i'd not recommend doing so.

Call Sony and get a new PS4.

This is the sound right here apparently. Is this good/bad/nothing? It's more for piece of mind. Thanks for any help!

It's the PSU. Try tapping it lightly and see if that helps (not kidding). It's just the PSU vibrating. It shouldn't make any noise, however.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fan runs on low when PS4 is in standby. But if he hears a buzz it could be PSU problem. Maybe not even a problem but some kind of PSU coil vibration I guess, because it unglued a bit. Or it could be that he has ground loop problem in his house or at least at that outlet. Tell him to try plugging into another outlet maybe and see if it still buzzes, or try it at a friend's house.

Dazzler

Mine makes a whistling sound on standby. I've had to resort to completely powering it off to get rid of it. It's quieter when powered on than on standby

Nothing is plugged into either USB port. It's a little worrying

kadotsu

Banned
This is the sound right here apparently. Is this good/bad/nothing? It's more for piece of mind. Thanks for any help!

It's the frequency of the NA AC. So the PSU hums. Most electronics do when they aren't grounded properly. Try a different outlet. It's nothing serious.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's the frequency of the NA AC. So the PSU hums. Most electronics do when they aren't grounded properly. Try a different outlet.

That's what I figured was a possibility. Someone above mentioned ground looping causes the feedback, which I told him, I had the same problem when I got my new receiver.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Sounds like a PSU/Transformer issue imo.

Could be holding a charge so the PSU/transformer acts as a capacitor due to a fault. Same idea that MI cable holds a capacitance when carrying out testing/through use.

You could try discharging the PS4, however i'd not recommend doing so.

Call Sony and get a new PS4.

It just turned off... so what's this all about? From what I've seen all ps4s do it, given the fact that my cousins and mine have both turned on for a brief moment after being turned off. Sounds to me like caps just holding a charge.

sekrit

Banned
idWv1B1m2S7aU.gif

Edeuinu

Mines doing this too, I haven't checked out why yet though. I've been leaving it off instead of standby. My house isn't grounded either.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

don't get it.........

edit- now my friend says the buzzing isn't like the video, but more like a sort white noise or fuzz, similar to driving a car with the window open, lol best comparison we could come up with.

don't get it.........

edit- now my friend says the buzzing isn't like the video, but more like a sort white noise or fuzz, similar to driving a car with the window open, lol best comparison we could come up with.

Probably noise is from the fan. But it does sound fucked though. The PSU that is.

It just turned off... so what's this all about? From what I've seen all ps4s do it, given the fact that my cousins and mine have both turned on for a brief moment after being turned off. Sounds to me like caps just holding a charge.

It shouldn't do it for 10mins while unplugged. The most i've ever seen anything stay on without a direct supply or battery back-up is ~5mins. (440V AC Supply though.)

If it was flashing for 10mins while plugged in? Possibly installing an update or something?

However unplugged? No.

Generally electrical items hold a charge for a small period of time after unplugging, hence why for example you see the LED of a TV stay on for a while after unplugging. (Designed to do so to drain the charge quickly)

Definitely sounds like a PSU/transformer issue to me, not caps in general just that a fault could be causing something to be acting like a capacitor, i.e. holding a charge.

Yes. It's audible from my PS3's electrical plug as well.

You better change the plug then.

In general terms "buzzing" coming from any electrical equipment is not a good thing. Usually it happens with ageing equipment, or in instances where there is foreign objects contaminating electrical contacts.

Biggest culprits from buzzing are - PSU's, Transformers, Contactors, Relays and Resistors.

An example would be say a dimming light switch which is simply a resistor. Sometimes through wear and tear, age, foreign objects contaminating contacts, etc, you may hear buzzing from the dimming switch due to any of those issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This noise is caused by having the USB standby power feature (which allows you to charge controllers in standby) enabled. Turn that off, and the noise will disappear. You can leave all the other standby features enabled.

EDIT: Unless he's having some other issue as well, like people are discussing. But either way, that feature is definitely one source of standby noise.

Top Bottom