• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slipstream |KS| The arcade racer resurgence continues, 60FPS 90s-style racing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/noctet/slipstream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJFWcRA2KRE
Free demo

Slipstream is a racing game inspired by the visuals, music, games and cars from the late 80s and early 90s. It's built on a custom game engine, made specifically for this game, which grants it an authentic retro feel and unique graphics. The soundtrack, drawing from synthpop and jazz fusion influences, sets the tone for a race across a variety of exotic locations from all around the world, including cities, deserts, forests, mountains and beaches. Drifting and slipstreaming mechanics add depth to the driving gameplay, and the result is a challenging and exciting experience.

8tzQ9u.gif
STiH6v.gif

- 30 different tracks - 30 unique locations drawn in stunning pixel art.
- 4 playable cars - with attributes to match your playstyle.
- 8 original songs
- 4 game modes:
  • Story Mode - A fully illustrated, scripted story mode, including different kinds of missions (1 on 1 racing, pursuit, escape, ramming other cars and more), characters to interact, choices to make and multiple endings.
  • Arcade Mode - Avoid the traffic and race against the clock to reach the checkpoints on time. At the end of each track, the road splits into two different paths, allowing you to choose where to go next on your trip.
  • Race Mode - Classic racing mode. Choose a single track or a multi-track cup and beat the other racers to the finish line.
  • Custom Mode - Like arcade mode, but this time you make the rules. Choose the tracks, traffic density, number of rival cars, time limit and just have fun your own way.

Subtilia

Neo Member
So lead developer Sandro updated the campaign page with some major stuff:

I'm gonna add more action-oriented mechanics to spice things up. I have brainstormed a few ideas, explosive crashes, maybe some kind of shooting

I'm gonna remake all the graphics in a new style, which is illustrated here:
tumblr_o0ng4voU5v1ryqrhdo1_500.png

I'm also gonna add crazier track concepts. Expect things like cyberspace, other planets, medieval castles, dinosaur jungles, underwater tunnels and, of course, this:
tumblr_nuzrs1Jzp11ryqrhdo1_500.gif

Maybe this helps getting it more attention at the final days??

I'm so glad there are devs making the types of games that everyone in the industry arbitrarily stopped making one day.

I'll always throw unreasonable amounts of money at Kickstarters that have the common sense to do that.

low-G

Not really feeling the art. Some of those sprites would have been poor even for 80's (bad art), and the use of particle smoke with transparency? Ugh. Does not fit the style.

Ok, the remade sprites above look significantly better. But add some retro style smoke, dithering and lower res?

Rob85Fr

Neo Member
I just tried the demo. Honestly, I really had the impression to run a arcade game in HD.
The graphics are crazy and the vibe is here. Intro give me serious chills (the sound design is perfect).

Awesome work for now !

Not really feeling the art. Some of those sprites would have been poor even for 80's (bad art), and the use of particle smoke with transparency? Ugh. Does not fit the style.

Ok, the remade sprites above look significantly better. But add some retro style smoke, dithering and lower res?

Kinda with you there. It's like 2/3rd spot on but somethings off

Subtilia

Neo Member
So it is really getting there! Last 48h and roughly $800 to go! I really believe it's going to happen, and the new art direction (and other changes) seems to drive it in the right direction! (pun intended)

Pachimari

So the game has reached its goal and now have $6,300. I'm looking forward to this one. In the meantime I'm enjoying Horizon Chase on mobile.

could be better art, but I like it overall. Would like to try and see a true crusin inspired game as well. Maybe a few san fransisco rushs, daytona and what not :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Something is odd about the art. Looks more like an Amiga port of an arcade game, than an actual arcade game. And I was always a little disappointed with Amiga ports not quite being accurate

Even though i loved the arcaderacers of that era (was in my teens at the time) my romantic views of those memories collapsed a long time ago. I treasure the memories, but when i play those games nowadays i can only conclude that nostalgia only brings me so far. Retrogaming is at it's best when it combines the best from those days with all that present day gaming has to offer. Particularly gameplay wise. I understand that an indiedeveloper has limited resources, but for me this is sticking too much to its sourcematerial. I would applaud more creativity. But i can imagine the people interested in this game would probably hate that.

my 2 cts, imho and all that

This looks great, if a bit lifeless.

Controls OK, if a bit too analog.

Crashes when my Bluetooth MFi controller is paired.

Would have backed it had I known about it earlier.

Odd that it's written in Java.

Top Bottom