• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slipstream |OT| Slip into Top Gear and Outrun the clock

Kazza

This was actually released in May of last year, but it didn't get much attention at the time, and I think it deserves more than a LTTP. If you're a fan of the those mid-80s to early-90s super scaler arcade racers or 16-bit racers such as Top Gear and Lotus Turbo Challenge, then this comes highly recommended.

giphy.gif

Price: £7.19/$9.99/€8.19
Platforms: Steam (no sign of a console version as yet, unfortunately)
Release Date: 22 May 2018
Developer: ansdor
Publisher: ansdor

Slipstream is a racing game inspired by the visuals, music, games and cars from the late 80s and early 90s. It's built on a custom game engine, with an authentic retro feel and unique graphics. The soundtrack, drawing from synthpop and jazz fusion influences, sets the tone for a race across a variety of exotic locations from all around the world, including cities, deserts, forests, mountains and beaches. Drifting and slipstreaming mechanics add depth to the driving gameplay, and the result is a challenging and exciting experience.

giphy.gif

Features
  • Authentic pseudo-3D game engine with 2D graphics, just like the glory days of the arcade racers.
  • 20 Different tracks, set on a variety of exotic locations all around the world... and beyond.
  • Local multiplayer up to 4 players!
  • 6 Game modes:
    • Grand Tour, a road trip through exotic landscapes, with branching paths and rivals to race against.
    • Cannonball, a freely customizable race mode with optional traffic, rivals and other racers
    • Grand Prix, a championship mode with five races back to back and money prizes used to upgrade your car!
    • Single Race, just a race in any of the game's 20 tracks
    • Time Trial, a solo race against time
    • Battle Royale, an elimination endurance race mode
  • 5 Car models, each with its own specs and playstyle.
  • Original soundtrack with 9 exclusive songs + you can add your own music.
  • A variety of graphical options to customize the game's visuals, including 30fps mode, CRT and NTSC filters.

slip1.png

Quick review

Good:
- super smooth gameplay with a nice sense of speed
- plays great, even on potato PCs (I'm using a basic laptop with Intel HD Graphics 620 and it runs perfectly)
- good variety in the tracks, with some obvious Sonic inspiration in the track names: Ice Cap, Chemical Plant etc. I especially like the beach track in the GIF above.
- decent synthwave soundtrack (the sound of the cassette tapes being swapped between songs is a nice touch)
- nice variety of play modes (Outrun-style branching paths, cup mode, etc)
- interesting mix of original Outrun aesthetics with Outrun 2-ish gameplay (there's a large emphasis on drifting)

Bad:
- being inspired by arcade racers, there's not a whole lot of depth and you won't be playing for long sessions. However, I find it great for a 15 minute play once or twice a week.
- the cars in the grand prix modes always seem to accelerate away from you immediately as he race starts, no matter where you place or how much acceleration you car has. Although I understand that the developer thought it would be more interesting from a gameplay standpoint to play catch-up, I feel there could have been less clumsy ways of keeping things interesting.
- the Outrun style mode lacks some of the little touches that makes Outrun feel like a driving game rather than just a normal racing game (having the pretty girl sitting next to you, the crowds at the beginning and end of the journey etc).

I bought it when it was 25% off in the winter sale and feel I'm getting my moneys worth.

Release Trailer:

Last edited:

Kazza

8€ is not that much. maybe I'm going to buy it. I havent played a game in this style since forever :D

I think it's worth the price. I just like booting it up a couple of times a week, choosing cannonball mode (where you can choose to leisurely drive through all 15 tracks one after another with no time limit), stick my headphones on and just blast around the tracks while listening to the synthwave soundtrack. 15 minutes and I'm done and ready to continue the rest of my day.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It looks nice, but tbh I have Outrun and Super Hang-On there waiting for me if I want to play them so why would I play this?

Kazza

It looks nice, but tbh I have Outrun and Super Hang-On there waiting for me if I want to play them so why would I play this?

Well, if you enjoy those two games, then it's a pretty safe bet that you would like this one too, and what's wrong with getting more of what you already know you like? If we were talking about a genre that was already pretty saturated (first-person shooters etc), then I could understand your attitude, but that's hardly the case with these kinds of pseudo-3D racing games (the two you mentioned are over 30 years old after all, and there haven't been too many others released since then).

Kazza

Wait a second, aren't you already involved in the "no new games in 2019, unfinished backlog only" thread? Stay strong and step away from the steam store! The game will still be there next year :messenger_beaming:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Kazza Kazza - tbh I enjoy those games but my point is that any game that comes out is always competing against other existing games in that genre, so they need to materially improve upon what's already there. And yes, I'm clearing my backlog, slowly but surely!

Kazza

@hariseldon This might be blasphemy, but I actually think Slipstream is better than Hang On (although not as good as Outrun). Having recently had the chance to play them via the Shenmue HD collection, I think Slipstream holds its own pretty well (although your opinion may vary, of course). Being an arcadey type game, it's unlikely to take much time from your backlog pruning.

Ok, I won't twist your arm any longer. I'm off to the Yokosuka arcade for some Hang On.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Kazza Kazza - Blasphemy - Super-hang on is the best game of that type. The music alone is magnificent.

Wonko_C

The controls suffer due to the camera not being glued to the car like in the games it tries to emulate. Might take a while to get used to.

For those who haven't, look into Horizon Chase Turbo, that game also deserves attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom