• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slowdive Announce First New Album in 22 Years, new song “Sugar for the Pill”

Status
Not open for further replies.
The impossible musical returns keep on coming.

“Sugar for the Pill” video here.

Pitchfork said:
Earlier this year, Slowdive returned with their first new song in 22 years, “Star Roving.” Today, they’ve announced their new album. Slowdive, the follow-up to 1995’s Pygmalion, is out May 5 via Dead Oceans. They have also shared a video for a new song, “Sugar for the Pill.” The clip, produced by in/out, is inspired by the Slowdive album art, which is a still from Harry Smith’s avant-garde 1957 film Heaven and Earth Magic. Find the video, album art, and tracklist below, along with the band’s upcoming tour dates. Additionally, Slowdive have announced a surprise performance at The Garage in London. They will will live stream the show on Facebook tomorrow (March 29) at 4 p.m. Eastern time.

Slowdive was recorded at the Courtyard in Oxfordshire and mixed at Los Angeles’ Sunset Sound by Chris Coady. In a press statement, the band’s principal songwriter, Neil Halstead, says, “When you’re in a band and you do three records, there’s a continuous flow and a development. For us, that flow re-started with us playing live again and that has continued into the record.”

unnamed-3.jpg

01 Slomo
02 Star Roving
03 Don’t Know Why
04 Sugar for the Pill
05 Everyone Knows
06 No Longer Making Times
07 Go Get It
08 Falling Ashes

Blader

I was just about to play Souvlaki on Spotify and suddenly saw a new single and album title/release there, and went holy shit!

I loved Star Roving, can't wait for this record to hit. I hope they expand their tour with more dates either this year or next, they're not coming anywhere near me except for two nights in Brooklyn.

amanset

New track is great. I like it better than Star Roving but both are winners.

I like them equally. Both great tunes. "Sugar for the Pill" sounds almost like Mojave 3 with shoegaze instrumentation (regarding the vocal style being different for them).

I’m genuinely excited about the new Slowdive, but I am equally worried about the new Ride one. One band seems to understand what made them great, the other not so much.

I’m genuinely excited about the new Slowdive, but I am equally worried about the new Ride one. One band seems to understand what made them great, the other not so much.

Yeah I felt like this was evident by their set lists last tour focusing on stuff post Nowhere. I guess they don't want to focus on their more shoegazy beginnings.

This music video for Sugar for the Pill is perfectly tied to the music. I love it.

Lucky, I wanted to get tickets to the Bristol show but I don't get paid till friday. :(

I actually missed out as the show sold out a lot quicker than I thought it would, but I managed to get one through a Facebook reseller earlier today (he sent me pics and his story seems genuine so I'm 99.9% sure it's all good)

If you can somehow get the cash before Friday I'd recommend trying to do the same, go look at the event page :)

amanset

Damn, gig close to me is already sold out

Trying to get into Shoegaze, any bands I should check out besides slowdive or mbv?

Well there's early Ride, obviously.

Besides that, classic early shoegaze includes the likes of The Boo Radleys ("Everything's Alright Forever" and "Giant Steps"), Chapterhouse ("Whirlpool") and Moose ("... XYZ"). I get a bit arsey about Shoegaze as I feel a lot of late 80s/early 90s British indie gets thrown in there when it really wasn't, for example, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Adorable and Spiritualized.

I'm holding off until I have it in my hands next week. I adore Star Roving and really like Sugar For the Pill (and another I heard them play live) so I have high hopes.

The new album is excellent. I'm overjoyed to have these guys back after a 22 year sabbatical. The music is still so fresh and timeless, it's like they've never been away.

Especially love the piano-led closer.

The new album is excellent. I'm overjoyed to have these guys back after a 22 year sabbatical. The music is still so fresh and timeless, it's like they've never been away.

Especially love the piano-led closer.

yep, great closer. about to fall asleep to it :)

second to last track is great too.

Blader

Fantastic album. I might even like it more than Souvlaki. Going to be giving this many more listens. The closer reminds me of Radiohead's Daydreaming.

Between this and the new LCD single, great day for new music.

Mossybrew

Aside from the two singles I've only been able to listen to the first track - which was exactly as long as my work commute this morning, it felt like I was floating there on a cloud. Great stuff, can't wait to listen to the rest.

8.6 BNM from pitchfork

I thought I'd heard the single from this and decided it was meh, but apparently I got this song confused with something else because this is pretty good.

hongcha

Great album. I got the Japanese version with the extra bonus track "30th June" (which is strangely enough the best song on the album).

chris121580

I feel like so many people are sleeping on this album. It's absolutely phenomenal from start to finish. Incredible feat after 22 years from their last album

Hated the single upon first listen and my expectations for the album dropped. Have to say I was oh so wrong, album is great. One of the best comeback albums I've ever heard.

soultron

Banned
Went to go see them in Toronto a few weeks ago. Amazing show. The album is surprisingly good too -- the least disappointing comeback in recent memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom