• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smackdown cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/article.php?contentid=31457

I mean, yeah the show isnt very good lately.. but still.. its one of UPN's top rated programs and does well in its timeslot.. Im betting UPN is trying to shed cost. Hopefully the WWE will take this as a chance to repackage the show/end the brand split (or at least make this show stick out from Raw, other than being the shitty one), but most likely it will just wind up on USA or Spike.

Trevelyon

Shit, too bad. Though I haven't watched Smackdown in months. But yeh, hopefully it'll end this brand split, I've never really been a fan of the idea.

Docpan

End this roster split bullshit....

Scrap everything they've mananged to fuck up in the last 5 years, while we're at it...

Minotauro said:
I really hope this means we get a live Smackdown on cable.

I agree...

From what it's been sounding like, WWE has been trying to get USA NEtwork (original home of RAW) to take Smackdown for a while now. Sounds like WWE knew what was up or Viacom knew what was up.

But like someone else said... they'll change networks without skipping a beat.

BAcon, thanks for trolling.. not go back under your bridge. asshole.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Bacon said:
Ahahahahaha.

I hope WWE dies.
Certain topics** GAF members troll at their peril while I'm out and about:

wrestling
Commodore-related products
hockey
alcohol
wrestling
GTA San Andreas

**this list has not yet been completed

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I just read that the show IS cancelled, but there is a still a year left on the contract, and it's not just Smackdown! that UPN wants to let go, but several other shows in an attempt to change the network's image.

Hollywood

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
I just read that the show IS cancelled, but there is a still a year left on the contract, and it's not just Smackdown! that UPN wants to let go, but several other shows in an attempt to change the network's image.

They should just rename their channel to BET Jr.

Well that's it for me and WWE once it goes off the air. I don't have cable and Smackdown is the only show I watch.

Lyte Edge

Hollywood said:
They should just rename their channel to BET Jr.

Well that's it for me and WWE once it goes off the air. I don't have cable and Smackdown is the only show I watch.

Bittorrent is your friend. Then you can watch RAW and forget about Smackdown!.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Docpan said:
End this roster split bullshit....

Scrap everything they've mananged to fuck up in the last 5 years, while we're at it...

:lol :lol :lol

the roster split is when I said good-bye once and for all

pilonv1

Meltzer lays the smack down.

Dave Meltzer said:
Smackdown hasn't been canceled. Both UPN and WWE sources have said any decisions have been made that it won't be renewed when the current contract expires are false. This "story" was one reporter a week ago misinterpreting something. The story, which would have been heavily reported within the TV industry if true and well known immediately within wrestling circles, was from from several days ago, passed along on the net over the past two days, nearly a week after it was originally published. It was then repeated without being checked.

Owned.

Shinobi

bishoptl said:

wrestling
hockey
alcohol
wrestling
GTA San Andreas

:lol :lol :lol

Lyte Edge

pilonv1 said:
Meltzer lays the smack down.

Owned.

From PWTorch:

The Wrestling Observer's Dave Meltzer is reporting that Smackdown is not cancelled and that the reporter from the newspaper misinterpretted a statement from Viacom president Leslie Moonves.

PWTorch.com, though, independently contacted an informed WWE source who confirmed Viacom's expressed intent to discontinue Smackdown. "No surprise on our end," says the source regarding Moonves's comments. "It could be a little bit of posturing regarding negotiations since Smackdown is their no. 1 show and networks don't normally want to cancel their top rated vehicles."

While saying Smackdown has been "officially cancelled" may indeed be premature, there is no misinterpreting the comments of the man in charge of UPN saying that Smackdown "doesn't fit into the overall programming strategy" for the network which logically means there isn't intent to continue with the show beyond its current contract.

The story, though, has not been picked up any of the TV trade journals at this point and WWE has not released any statements officially regarding the matter, so there is ambiguity regarding the situation. As stated hours ago in the "VIP Keller Audio Update," with more than a year left before a final decision will have to be made regarding Smackdown's future, it is too soon to fully interpret the actual ramifications of Moonves's position.

Shinobi

We saw the Turner/Time Warner conglomerate blow Nitro and Thunder the fuck off their airwaves, despite being among their highest rated shows. Of course they also owned the company and wanted nothing to do with it anymore, but they could've held onto it a little longer and waited for someone other then Vince to buy it and keep the shows going. But they simply wanted nothing to do with wrestling anymore. And that's just the way it goes...when wrestling is hot, the networks rub up to it. When it's not, or when it's no longer deemed to fit, it's dropped faster then a boulder.

Screenboy

bishoptl said:

wrestling
hockey
alcohol
wrestling
GTA San Andreas

You forgot Nintendo, Paul Anderson, Uwe Boll... :lol

pilonv1

Lyte Edge said:
From PWTorch:

While saying Smackdown has been "officially cancelled" may indeed be premature, there is no misinterpreting the comments of the man in charge of UPN saying that Smackdown "doesn't fit into the overall programming strategy" for the network which logically means there isn't intent to continue with the show beyond its current contract.

The story, though, has not been picked up any of the TV trade journals at this point and WWE has not released any statements officially regarding the matter, so there is ambiguity regarding the situation. As stated hours ago in the "VIP Keller Audio Update," with more than a year left before a final decision will have to be made regarding Smackdown's future, it is too soon to fully interpret the actual ramifications of Moonves's position.[/I]

Wade must have taken some time out from his constant deathriding of Bryan Alvarez's book to write this. The fact is that someone will pick up Smackdown, its UPN's highest rating show and RAW is constantly in the top 10 cable programs . The show isn't cancelled and I'm sure Spike would pick it up in a heartbeat, or whoever WWE moves to in a year when their deal is up with Spike/Viacom. Probably back to USA :lol

belgurdo

Banned
Why do people troll these wrestling threads when the same thing happens every time? Or are some here more dense than I think?

Pimpwerx

The roster split could have been a huge turning point for the WWE, but instead, they fucked it up royally. And good riddance, maybe if they face some problems, they'll be convinced to revamp the show. The roster split should have involved lots of cross-promo stuff between the shows. Smackdown guys interfering with Raw matches and vice-versa. And as lame as intereference matches are, that's all we've gotten from the WWE lately. How many legit title swaps are there on tv? Since WCW started failing, and Russo/Bischoff decided every match had to end with interference, WWE has slowly adopted that, and it sucks. Not enough clean pinfalls anymore.

I want them to end the roster split too, and put Smackdown on live. It wasn't long ago that Smackdown was the better show of the two, and pulled in consistently higher ratings. And wasn't it live too at one point? In any case, the show used to run over a lot, and would pull in high 6's in that overtime. The WWE's package sucks right now. There is absolutely no creativity in the sport anymore. Stories are simply being recycled. How much effort does it take to write a half-decent storyline? I mean, hire some of these video game flunkies to write a better story than another NWO-ripoff, or monster push. It's tired and it's boring, and I'm honestly suprised the WWE hasn't already folded financially. Fans have kept it afloat despite the product sucking big donkey balls for the last how many years. PEACE.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
WTF Smackdown canceled..

WTF!?!?!?!

edit: man UPN is dumb
so am I for thinking it's got canned

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I think Smackdown going live would fix alot of the problems.. more intensity from performers, we wont have piped in chearing or booing when no one gives a damn so booking will have to be better (nothing is funnier than watching a half asleep audience sound like its going apeshit on smackdown).

Most importantly, I wouldnt be tempted to read the spoilers and ruin the entire show for myself.. I can be watching a great match but not be into it because I know its going to end with a run out or something.

Um.. guys.. the storys been retracted. According the Dave Meltzer, it's a case of mis-communication.

It's not cancelled.... it isn't going anywhere..... for now.

Hollywood

Banned
belgurdo said:
Why do people troll these wrestling threads when the same thing happens every time? Or are some here more dense than I think?

I agree with whoever posted 'WWE needs to die' ... but not wrestling. I mean it in a way that we need some fucking competition. I miss ECW. I hope Paul Heyman starts up a new federation soon. That would be sweet.

Lyte Edge

pilonv1 said:
Wade must have taken some time out from his constant deathriding of Bryan Alvarez's book to write this. The fact is that someone will pick up Smackdown, its UPN's highest rating show and RAW is constantly in the top 10 cable programs . The show isn't cancelled and I'm sure Spike would pick it up in a heartbeat, or whoever WWE moves to in a year when their deal is up with Spike/Viacom. Probably back to USA :lol

The statement from the UPN exec, however, IS true. Keller updated this morning saying he might have said it to make his network look better if the WWE decides to move Smackdown! elsewhere once the contract is up. Makes sense to me.

Oh, and no one ever said Smackdown! itself was cancelled but that *UPN* was going to cancel it once the contract was up. It's obvioius if this were to happen that Spike TV or USA would get the show.

I still think if UPN dropped it, it might send a message to the WWE that changes need to be made, but I'm only kidding myself. :/ We're never going to see the brand split end.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Lyte Edge said:
The statement from the UPN exec, however, IS true. Keller updated this morning saying he might have said it to make his network look better if the WWE decides to move Smackdown! elsewhere once the contract is up. Makes sense to me.

Oh, and no one ever said Smackdown! itself was cancelled but that *UPN* was going to cancel it once the contract was up. It's obvioius if this were to happen that Spike TV or USA would get the show.

I still think if UPN dropped it, it might send a message to the WWE that changes need to be made, but I'm only kidding myself. :/ We're never going to see the brand split end.

Brand Split = GOOD

Do you really want to see Triple H 2 times a week?

Lyte Edge

jobber said:
Brand Split = GOOD

If it means no more shitty second-rate Smackdown! shows filled with crappy storylines and only a few good wrestlers, then YES. It's funny, because for all the "HHH run teh show!!!1" stuff I see, the man has been putting over other wrestlers and dropping the belt when the time comes for it.

The problem is that there aren't any other wrestlers on the roster as "big" as he is, so it makes sense for him to constantly have the belt, whether being married to the boss's daughter has anything to do with it or not. Do you think Orton vs. Batista for the title would be as big a draw as HHH vs. Batista?

If anything, HHH is a much better champion than JBL. :p With a combined roster, instead of having the same 4 guys feuding over the title, we could have 8 guys feuding over it. The tag team division would have life again. And no one says that just because the rosters are combined, that you always have to see the same guys on both shows. They could STILL feature different talent on both shows, to give all the wrestlers a chance to be on TV.

pilonv1

jobber said:
Brand Split = GOOD

Exactly. Guys like Paul London and Akio wouldn't even get TV time without a brand split. The problem is that WWE hasn't created any new stars so they have to have the same 4 guys competing for the belt. If they create new stars, and elevated new people on talent rather than looks they would be fine. And whether its the same 4,6,8,10 guys competing for the belt, eventually things are going to get stale. It's not the brand split that's done it, it's their inability to get over new people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom