• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Small things in movies that you didn't realize untill way later

Status
Not open for further replies.

MackVee

Neo Member
I didn't notice it right away but after a few viewings I realized that Bruce Willis and Gary Oldman never see or talk to one another in The Fifth Element.
Gary Oldman played Zorg? Mind blown.

...oh shit, it never clicked till now that Milla Jovovich is 'The Fifth Element'. I guess I never played that much attention to the film. :/

What are you talking about? Their Halloween celebration is the song/parade in town every year, they never ever mention scaring real-world children. Please state the evidence/dialogue that says otherwise.

I'm the master of fright and a demon of light and I'll scare you right out of your pants. To a guy in Kentucky - I'm Mr. Unlucky and I'm known throughout England and France.

Nose Master

Was watching Eternal Sunshine last night, and there's a lot of little things:

-In the beginning of the movie, he still has the marker on his right temple.
-When he meets her for the first time (second chronologically), he doesn't know what Huckleberry Hound is. This is because they were hiding out in his memory where his mother is bathing him while singing that song. Or, talking about it the first time they met, I suppose.
-The lighting for the first half of the dream is supposed to be similar to the lighting from Clementine's flashlight when they fuck around in the abandoned house.
-I don't know how I missed this the first few times. When he is last saying goodbye to her in the house (in his dreams), she whispers for him to meet her at that train station. Which is why he impulsively runs away from work. Not sure why she would also know to go there, though...

zomaha

How would Animal Mother still be in the military after murdering R. Lee Ermey?

In the "hidden" narrative, R. Lee Ermey's character is never shot, it's all in Pyle's head (hence the dreamlike atmosphere and sounds). It represents Pyle making the transformation from an innocent child to a hardened killing machine.

I found it! Never even got to thank him though, but here it is; http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33642881#post33642881

No problem, man.

This one blew my mind:

OXq9p.jpg

Holycrap :eek:

BeeDog

In Children of Men, I didn't notice some of the subtler religious imagery until someone pointed out a discussion on the net, more specifically that most animals in the movie seem to love him and the meaning of his name (d'oh).

Quick

Banned
This thread has given my brain fellatio. Well done.

Caught a bunch of these on first viewings, specifically Twin Pines/Lone Pine mall in BTTF and Sid being the garbage man in Toy Story 3.

The Eastwood Ravine in BTTF3 caught me off guard. Brilliant stuff. Same with the goons swapping clothes in The Big Lebowski.

Might already be known, but Lotso from Toy Story 3 was in Up.

toystory3-lotso-431.jpg

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
My mind is blown by the amount of people who didn't notice the Lone Pine Mall thing.

I find it hard to believe, especially that a child, is able to pick up on the BTTF, lone pine gag. It's something so insignificant to the plot, story, action, etc that I just have a hard time believing anyone caught onto while watching the movie for the first time. Let alone a child. You must have been an amazing kid.

There's more amazing kids than you realize.

Jamie OD

Might already be known, but Lotso from Toy Story 3 was in Up.

toystory3-lotso-431.jpg

A lot of Pixar movies have early bird cameos and clues for their future releases.

monsters-inc-nemo-web.jpg

Nemo in Monsters Inc.

Finding-Nemo-Incredibles-we.jpg

Syndrome in Finding Nemo.

59424.jpg

Doc Hudson in The Incredibles.

59422.jpg

Dug in Ratatouille.

Aston-Martin.jpg

Finn McMissile in Toy Story 3.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I haven't watched 101 dalmatians since I was little, but just noticed Cruella De Vil is a play on word on cruel devil.

I'll use spoiler tags because I hate when people spoil movies I haven't seen, even twenty-year-old ones:

In Silence of the Lambs when Dr. Lecter
escapes by wearing the guard's face as a mask, I knew what was coming because I'd read the book. However, I only recently made the connection that Buffalo Bill's modus operandi was removing people's skins and wearing them (like the woman's hair and scalp he wore for his dance) and that Lecter essentially borrowed a page from Buffalo Bill's book in order to effect his escape. Of course, that may have been obvious to everyone else.

By the way, in the book
the escape was made even more plausible by the fact that Lector really savaged the face, nearly turning it into hamburger and leaving one ripped-out eyeball on the cheek, so that the other cops could barely look at it as they put him on the gurney.

JGS

Banned
In Children of Men, I didn't notice some of the subtler religious imagery until someone pointed out a discussion on the net, more specifically that most animals in the movie seem to love him and the meaning of his name (d'oh).
An amazing one for me in that movie is the fact that I am indirectly watching the sun rising when they are trying to escape from the farm. That blows me away with either the timing or the effects to pull that off. The scene is so exciting, that always gets put on the backburner.

Disney one that may not have been mentioned. Beast in Aladdin
aladdin-thebeast.jpg

Seth C

Vader blocks the blaster bolts because his gloves are specially armored.

Very commonly discussed at my school at the time of the film's release, along with many of the other little details. Many of us saw it multiple times, too, so it certainly wasn't some kind of unknown arcane knowledge.

Plus Doc Brown had already dropped a hint that should have caused you to pay close attention when he said something along the lines of "he always had a crazy idea about growing a pine tree farm".

There's no picture of it, and I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but:

In Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Aragorn sees a vision of the King of the Dead in the path into the mountains before he goes. You have to watch the path when he looks over for a brief instant to see the King of the Dead, but for the first 5-10 times I watched the film I didn't notice it. Maybe it was just me that didn't notice.

Pretty sure its not the force, rather the Glove of Darth Vader

Nah, it's cooler if he's stopping it with the force and because he's that much of a badass, not because of some piece of armour that anyone could pickup and wear.

Also, if you watch the movie, he blocks the blasters with BOTH HANDS and according to that Star Wars wiki, there was only 1 glove, which Luke Skywalker chopped off during their duel in ROTJ.

So yeah he blocked the blaster bolts with a combination of the force and pure badassery.

jaxword

Nah, it's cooler if he's stopping it with the force and because he's that much of a badass, not because of some piece of armour that anyone could pickup and wear.

Also, if you watch the movie, he blocks the blasters with BOTH HANDS and according to that Star Wars wiki, there was only 1 glove, which Luke Skywalker chopped off during their duel in ROTJ.

So yeah he blocked the blaster bolts with a combination of the force and pure badassery.

Could you post a gif of it?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just noticed this one 2 days ago-

GREMLINS:

At one point in the movie, the father ,Randy Peltzer, is phoning from an inventors convention.

In the background, just to the right of his shoulder, you see a "time machine"...

the camera switches to his wife on the phone, and when it switches back...

the "time machine" is gone, and all the inventors are looking shocked!!!

very subtle, but it's a really cool easter egg!

EDIT: here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LIffvjnb8

It's not just a time machine, it's the time machine, the one from the 1960 movie. I thought that version of The Time Machine was pretty cool when I was a kid, but I haven't seen it for a long-ass time.

Pretty sure its not the force, rather the Glove of Darth Vader

That's pretty dumb. And it seems to be a retcon, because Luke appears to get shot twice in the back by an AT-AT in Dark Empire, and block it with a force field. (hurr, punnage)

Wait, are there more connections between different James Bond's than just those few?

Roger Moore Bond also visited the grave of George Lazenby Bond's wife in For Your Eyes Only.

Wool

In Dumb and Dumber, if Lloyd Christmas married Mary Swanson then her name would be Mary Christmas.

Edit: Not a movie, but only very recently did I realize Shaggy and Scoobie Doo are stoners.

In Aliens, when Vasquez says, "Hey man, all I need to know is one thing...where...they...are.", watch Hicks over her shoulder. He mouths it along with her and sighs afterward to show that she drops this line all the time and he's heard it all before.

In Aliens, when Vasquez says, "Hey man, all I need to know is one thing...where...they...are.", watch Hicks over her shoulder. He mouths it along with her and sighs afterward to show that she drops this line all the time and he's heard it all before.

Love that line, but when I played Rome: Total War I learned that was stolen from the Spartans:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War

The Spartans do not ask how many but where they are - Agis II of Sparta

boi

Neo Member
Tom Cruise's character meets with the Transporter (Jason Statham) in the beginning of Collateral.

Duress

In LoTR, I didn't realize that the horse that picked up Aragorn by the river, was the same one that he was trying to tame earlier in the stable.

After Hans shoots Ellis in Die Hard, he gets on the horn with police about his demands. Somehow I never noticed that the camera had Ellis' head with a bullet through it in the foreground while Hans is talking.
Ellis is also being brought a can of coke earlier, which annoys him. Not the kind of coke he wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom