• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Ultimate has a dreadful online system

BlackTron

I remember when I thought Melee was perfect already, and all I expected from Brawl was an online mode and Sonic/Snake.

The online ended up being a joke, and they messed up the game mechanics. Still my least favorite Smash.

I tried Smash 4 online *once*, expecting nothing. I got nothing lol. But I LOVED the game.

Smash 5 is the first one I didn't run out and buy immediately. Multiple friends and family got it so I'm getting to play the game. My main has been Link since 64 and I don't like the new Link much. No hookshot :(

The game seems really good, I just got most of the new HD Smash hype out of my system from 4. The idea that the online is the same but they now charge for it seems silly. It's about time this got handled, with how many versions of Smash in we are, it's time to make online an actual feature instead of a tick-box for marketing. I would run out and buy the game if it did, but as is, it's a Smash that isn't really isn't adding any new features that make a big difference. The one feature I want is still broken, only now it costs extra. Yeah.....no thanks Nintendo.

BANGS

Banned
Honestly, Nintendo is so fucked when it comes to their complete lack of effort in at least staying somewhat current in online gaming standards. Dreamcast had voice chat... DREAMCAST had voice chat. WTF...

And to make matters worse, these awful decisions aren't even hardware issues. I thought Nintendo made the switch lame when it comes to online and that's why it was lacking in features when it comes to online gaming, and then I played warframe. Warframe plays like ANY modern standard online game, complete with native voice chat and all which doesn't require a cell phone gimmick. So the switch is completely capable of running great games online, it's just nintendo puts zero effort into the online portions of their software...

Last edited:

ar0s

Mario Tennis' online was stunningly bad. Tournaments that matched new players with some of the best players in the game. Really turned me off Tennis.

Smash seems to have decent single player content so not tried the online yet (mainly because i suck though!)

BANGS

Banned
Mario Tennis' online was stunningly bad. Tournaments that matched new players with some of the best players in the game. Really turned me off Tennis.

Smash seems to have decent single player content so not tried the online yet (mainly because i suck though!)
I'm not super digging the single player either, but it's serviceable... I need more IRL friends to play games with or rather time to have them over...

ChuyMasta

Huh. I understand what tye OP says now.
I set up my preffered rules as 1 vs 1, no items, 5 mins limit, two stock, omega form only.

Most of the time in worked!

Now, I did end up fighting in a free for all 4 player match. Truly a wtf moment and it wasnt at all what I signed up for.

I could've dropped out, but that would set me back to the lobby. I didnt feel like waiting 30 0r so seconds to join a new match. So whatever. I played the free for all.

All of the players had about the same GPS so the match was actually fun, but I can almost guarantee there was only one asshole that had the rule set up so everyone left after the match.

Fuck that guy.

Fbh

I don't know what people were expecting. This is a fighting game made for a console that doesn't have ethernet port by default. Do you think your average person is going to run out and buy a lan adapter? For people not in the know... Wireless is terrible a terrible option for online play, especially for fighting games which want the least amount of lag possible! It will absolutely make your online experience suffer. Wireless is serviceable for most genres, which is why you won't notice for other games. It's just not good enough for fighters though. Nintendo could have top notch servers, and still your online experience would suffer if you are up against people using wireless. There isn't much that can be done about that.

In terms of the matchmaking, you do have the option to create your own lobbies with whatever rules you want. If you really can't stomach any game with items, just go that route. There are a ridiculous amount of lobbies with no items ready for you.

Because of my router placement (and laziness) I've been playing over Wifi ever since last gen.
Street fighter over wifi? works ok
Mortal Kombat over wifi? Works ok
Low budget and low effort smash "clone" playstation all stars battle royale over wifi? works ok
Dragonball Fighterz over wifi? works ok
Soul Calibur VI over wifi? works ok
F2P Smash Clone Brawlhalla over Wifi? Works OK
Kinda fighting game For Honor over wifi? Works Ok...sometimes
Non fighters (Battlefield, COD, Rocket League, sports games) over Wifi? work ok.

But apparently Smash is so out of this world complex that it's the only current game that for a lot of people is just plain unplayable over Wifi?
Come on

Razzorn34

Because of my router placement (and laziness) I've been playing over Wifi ever since last gen.
Street fighter over wifi? works ok
Mortal Kombat over wifi? Works ok
Low budget and low effort smash "clone" playstation all stars battle royale over wifi? works ok
Dragonball Fighterz over wifi? works ok
Soul Calibur VI over wifi? works ok
F2P Smash Clone Brawlhalla over Wifi? Works OK
Kinda fighting game For Honor over wifi? Works Ok...sometimes
Non fighters (Battlefield, COD, Rocket League, sports games) over Wifi? work ok.

But apparently Smash is so out of this world complex that it's the only current game that for a lot of people is just plain unplayable over Wifi?
Come on

None of those work good on wifi. You are deluded. There isn't one fighting game I would play on wifi.

The fact you even stated that you play Street Fighter over wifi makes me shudder. Hell to the no. Mortal Kombat? Any Netherrealm game has ridiculous input lag online. I can't even imagine that on wifi. No.
You must play all of those fighters extremely casual to not feel anything on wifi. Anyone really into fighters would immediately be out.

I did say any non-fighters are fine, but most games don't require anything close to frame counting.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Wireless internet solutions and fighters don’t mix at all...

I don’t know what you expected from Nintendo. I surely didn’t expect anything better just because they’re charging you. Nintendo is king at ripping consumers off in this business.

Last edited:

Fbh

None of those work good on wifi. You are deluded. There isn't one fighting game I would play on wifi.

The fact you even stated that you play Street Fighter over wifi makes me shudder. Hell to the no. Mortal Kombat? Any Netherrealm game has ridiculous input lag online. I can't even imagine that on wifi. No.
You must play all of those fighters extremely casual to not feel anything on wifi. Anyone really into fighters would immediately be out.

I did say any non-fighters are fine, but most games don't require anything close to frame counting.

Yes the fighting games I've played online I've played super casually.

I'm not claiming they feel perfect and that I sense no difference compared the playing offline, I'm also not claiming that there are no connection issues, zero lag or no disconnects. If I wanted to play competitively I'd definitely use a wired connection.

But as I said, they work ok. For the most parts it's at least playable.
Out of every fighting game I've ever played online Smash is the only one that just borders on unplayable over Wifi even on a super casual level

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
If they are charging you for online services there is absolutely no reason for not having dedicated servers.

Nintendo is feeling more and more like Apple to me. Spend 400 for hardware and game only to be told you need an additional proprietary plug to make it actually work on top of a paid network service which is based on your own internet which A SEPARATE BILL.

P2P is great in a perfect world, how many of us live in perfect worlds? Dedicated Servers sets a foundation of equality for all players. For Honor was a fantastic concept that failed because of no support for dedicated servers which it now has.

To make something as great as this Smash game without the foresight to see all the Online shortcomings is nothing short of really pathetic and lazy on Nintendo's part and speaks to their hubris, again just like Apple.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
based on your own internet which A SEPARATE BILL.
Don't forget the house you need to put your router in man, that's also extra!

I do believe peer to peer connections is pretty much the standard for fighting games because it's what makes sense if you don't have to juggle 16-32-64-100 players over just 2.

So, sure, they should improve their implementations but having a dedicated server for every 2-4p match out there seems like awful logistics and design decisions itself.

Last edited:

Terce

Glad to hear I held off on buying Nintendo Online and at this point I really can't seem to see any reason to waste the $20. Maybe once Nintendo finally gets their shit together and produces a viable product will I finally sign up, but I really can't understand everyone that immediately jumped on Online when it became available. It's basically the same as pre-ordering and in this case it's with a company that is known to consistently screw up and hasn't been able to create a solid online experience EVER.

Ten_Fold

I wish Nintendo just made the online better, all they had to do was make for fun mode, battle arena, and elite battles with real point system and leaderboards, very simple. It just seems they sorta care about the competitive part but at the same time not really.

EDMIX

I mean, if we're being pedantic, the game was made by Sora Ltd and Bandai Namco, and not Nintendo. That's besides the point I guess.

Preferred rules has been mostly fine for me. Maybe because I'm playing in superior Japan.

? ok, but its still their IP. We are not talking about a Bloodborne or Quantum Break situation where MS or Sony own the IP and the game isn't that major, we are talking about an IP that moves MASSIVE MILLIONS for Nintendo using established characters. That would be like MS hiring a team to make the next Forza and the online is legit unplayable, but be like "oh datz nOt M$".

Its happening under Nintendo and its a problem. I've never in my life seen such poor quality from a company that has as much money and support as Nintendo.

The online is still a mess and unplayable and has been this way since Brawl. It has this everlasting 1 second or so delay that remains that way regardless of connection type. Nothing to do with Japan, US, UK etc Even if it did, that would be even WORSE as it means they know it only effect certain regions and just don't care to actually fix the issue for those outside Japan.....

I'd argue that might be worse then them just not knowing how to do it correctly, but damn bud, 10 plus years after Brawl isn't normal to be having the same issue over and over and over again.

Top Bottom