• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked Man

I said wow
The only Pokemon I've ever really wanted in the series like at a base level was Dragonite because Dragonite is best dragon. That and it's First Movie appearance was this weird level of adorkable for me. :p

My man! Dragonite is the best dragon by far. He's awesome and adorable at the same time and I love him <3

Whatever happens, I'm positive we'll get a new Donkey Kong character. A part of me wants Cranky to get in because no one right now would see that coming. He'd fit the old man fighter trope Smash is missing. Plus I wanna bounce on people with my cane.

I was a little leery when I first heard Cranky would be playable in DK:TF, but I thought the Scrooge McDuck-style pogo cane was brilliant once I saw it in action. I'd totally be down with Cranky in Smash.

Sakurai's Famitsu columns from the Brawl days can be found here (in Japanese). It's all very interesting, though it's never been translated in full.

Will make this a priority! Still have real-life work to take care of first, but I'll make this happen. :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Dixie is easily more popular than K. Rool overall, but I think for the purpose of the poll K. Rool is more desired since he checks off more things people want, such as a heavy character, a villain, etc.

Plus, I always thought Dixie seemed like a very likely DLC choice way before the poll began...why I didn't bother voting for her...I imagine a lot of her supporters might feel this way and chose other characters with less of a chance to vote for over someone who seemed like she already had a good chance.

L Thammy

Will make this a priority! Still have real-life work to take care of first, but I'll make this happen. :)

Why bother? We have Google Translate!

"Pict chat" is a bullshit (laughs). I, if I'm not a completely appropriate person to make!

Items that come out in the "cock" Kirby, including the "box" or "decorative banner dropped from the ceiling," there is that it is the same item all in a particular probability. Hey'm really weird game (laughs)

Seriously, though, I'm wondering what was actually being said here. Did we actually have hints regarding Wii Fit Trainer's inclusion? Do we have hints about upcoming characters now? Can I assume that Mach Rider is confirmed?

"Brain Training" and "Wii Sports" is a recent, but "Wii Fit" has hit, and so and I'm not going to also not give the U~ibo as fighter of "Smash Bros." say?[/quote[

please sakurai I have missed you

tumblr_nnb6dxa4Wp1swll5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_nnb6dxa4Wp1swll5zo2_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_nnb6dxa4Wp1swll5zo3_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_nnb6hhF2cH1swll5zo1_500.jpg

EDarkness

I ended up voting for Layle from Crystal Bearers. I always liked him as a character even though the game wasn't as awesome as it should have been.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I just saw a message when I turned smash 4 on.

Mewtwo Uses Now Available!
It's Super Effective!

I'm very curious what kind of message Lucas would get, and would Lucas get released before E3 or after?

Crayolan

I honestly wonder how much money this could make. $1 to remove any character from your game an $1 to add them back. You could target indecisive whales.

I'd bite.
Not really though, since other people would still be able to play the characters I want gone. >:[

edit: Really like this Ryu moveset

X51uKgi.jpg

So much for coming in here and putting down my thoughts on Ryu for what I think he'll have. :c

---------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Changes

Nair - Medium Kick (air) instead of Light Punch (air)

Fair - High Punch (air) instead of Medium Kick (air)

Jab - Light Punch, Medium Kick (close), Heavy Punch

Up Smash - Crouching High Punch instead of Collarbone Breaker (That doesn't even make sense)

Forward Tilt - Collarbone Breaker (Foward Medium Punch) instead of Senpuu Kyaku (Forward Medium Kick; CvS2 Ryu)

Shin Shoryuken to EX Shoryuken

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You know, I'm glad I grew up before DLC really took off...

I mean, I imagine it's quite hard to convince your parents to use their credit card so you can buy 1 character.

Golnei

CHESUTOOOOOOOOOO!

I know Smash 4 doesn't support dual audio, which sucks because Japanese Ryu > Dub Ryu.

Considering the likelihood of a playable Ryu drawing heavily from SF2 as opposed to more recent sources, it's possible that he'll use exact copies of the SNES voice clips.

Whoa, I really like those art style. It gave me Super Strikers vibe (maybe Street Fighter 4 too)

I remember seeing some Smash art that had a "Mario Strikers" feel to it.
Speaking of which, I'd love to see a Strikers costume for Peach, fighting in a dress can't be comfortable/practical.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Considering the likelihood of a playable Ryu drawing heavily from SF2 as opposed to more recent sources, it's possible that he'll use exact copies of the SNES voice clips.

they only do that if there's no modern equivalent (see: Pacman (GA doesn't count) and Megaman)

And SNES Ryu doesn't have CHESUTOOOO!

2Cw2whg.jpg

You know, I'm glad I grew up before DLC really took off...

I mean, I imagine it's quite hard to convince your parents to use their credit card so you can buy 1 character.

Yea, I've been thinking about that too. I would have had a hard time getting the money to buy the DLC, let alone get both versions of the game, I would have had to pick between the two.

Golnei

they only do that if there's no modern equivalent (see: Pacman (GA doesn't count) and Megaman)

The blue-eyed Pacman design being treated as the standard for crossovers (appearing in SFxT, one of the arcade Mario Karts and Hot Shots Golf) makes the use of his older design seem like a more deliberate choice - ignoring the updated New Leaf Villager may have also been a decision with similar motivations. The Ryu victory fanfare being a direct rip also may be indicative of him being a deliberately retro character; not even Duck Hunt Duo or Mr. Game & Watch used unarranged rips for their fanfares.

Is that Ryu or Ike?

It's actually their son; who'd likely be Priam's grandfather. The second season of Fire Emblem if DLC will probably go into further detail, with the plotline climaxing in Valbar's arcade ending for Capcom vs. Nintendo.

Neoxon

Still I'd be disappointed if they use SNES voice clips. Retro they are, they're kinda... eh.
Same, hopefully they give him a more modern voice. Them just using retro voice clips would come off as lazy. Even SF4, UMvC3, or SFxT voice clips would be better. Basically I want Kyle Hebert to come back as English Ryu.

Smash I think generally picks the most iconic appearance of a character, unless the newer design is just a refined version of the older design (Olimar) or there's a reason to change it for consistency sake (Zelda characters).

The big exception to this are characters who had never been in 3D before. Characters like Duck Hunt, Pit and Ice Climbers aren't terribly faithful to their original iconic appearances, but that's mostly because they never got to be in 3D.

And there's also oddballs like Bowser who used a more Mario 3/World appearance in Melee instead of SM64, and Yoshi who didn't really know if he wanted to be from Mario World or Yoshi's Story until Smash 4, but those types of strangeness in design are not common.

Neoxon

Smash I think generally picks the most iconic appearance of a character, unless the newer design is just a refined version of the older design (Olimar) or there's a reason to change it for consistency sake (Zelda characters).

The big exception to this are characters who had never been in 3D before. Characters like Duck Hunt, Pit and Ice Climbers aren't terribly faithful to their original iconic appearances, but that's mostly because they never got to be in 3D.

And there's also oddballs like Bowser who used a more Mario 3/World appearance in Melee instead of SM64, and Yoshi who didn't really know if he wanted to be from Mario World or Yoshi's Story until Smash 4, but those types of strangeness in design are not common.
By that logic they would have gone with Classic Sonic, unless Modern Sonic falls under the refined version of an older design category.

Fandangox

By that logic they would have gone with Classic Sonic, unless Modern Sonic falls under the refined version of an older design category.

Considering that the reason why sonic's alt colors are all pretty much is because apparently SEGA asked them too, its quite possible they also dictated what appearance Sonic should have in the game, he is a third party after all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Off topic, but IntelliHeath asked me to drop this in the thread.

Not totally happy with all the translations, but I pulled out some new information from Shigesato Itoi's interview with the Smash 64 team.

(Some of these are probably already known).

Key points:

• Sakurai might have worn a bandana while working.
  • The first draft of the game that eventually became Smash Brothers was finished October 1996.
  • The in-house nickname for Dragon King: The Fighting Game was “Pepsi-Man”.
  • At the same time, Sakurai was also planning an action-adventure game.
  • During development Sakurai considered adding a brand new character to the series, and even thought about having unfamiliar characters too. However, he wanted to work on the most popular characters first in order to not betray those characters and fans.
  • Kirby’s Stage (Dream Land 64) was not changed from the original design in Dragon King: The Fighting Game.
  • Sakurai doesn't like Hyrule Castle 64 because it's not an accurate portrayal of Ocarina of Time
  • Sakurai's wife, Michiko designed the Metal Mario stage and the classic Mushroom Kingdom Stage. She wanted to draw some inspiration from Mario 64 in the Metal Mario stage, but decided to embrace the concept of Smash. Her favorite game growing up was Super Mario Bros. It's what led to her the game industry.

The color was adjusted to Sakurai's personal monitor. However, because each screen displays the colors differently, they got some colors wrong.
There is a cut "Time Attack" / "Racing Mode". He expresses interest in making a racing game.
The original plan drew inspiration from Pirates of the Caribbean (the ride). However, he didn't like the idea of destroying people's names.
After Sakurai's friend played Smash throughout the night, he felt like the development of Smash was worth it.
Also, if you know Japanese and want to help with translations, I have a ton of Sakurai's Famitsu articles which have never been talked about.

he wanted to work on the most popular characters first in order to not betray those characters and fans.
Which is why Bowser needed to wait until Melee, and Wario and Dedede needed to wait 2 games to get in while Mewtwo has an on again off again relationship with Smash.

Itoi doing the interview is funny too, since Smash is a huge reason anyone even knows he makes games lol. Mother is super spoiled in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom