• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

This I can believe. He's always felt like a genuine leader of results. I never got the flavor of the month stuff from him.
That being said, the Smash Ballot was never an election. Maybe King K. Rool will be seriously considered if he gets the most votes, but that won't guarantee him a spot in Smash.

Frofro

Banned
I don't think K Rool is getting in anymore. I think the costume was a way to try and appease his fans.

Maybe, but don't forget how many times we've assumed a character was out because of something silly (Such as already having trophies/being in the background/Specials becoming others customs/ Two Roys/ Up Until Now/ ROB being an enemy in SSE)

The costume brings up question, but I'd say since it was in the middle of the ballot, we wouldn't have to worry about. The costumes weren't made overnight, and the fact that we've been getting them in "waves" shows Nintendo planned them for sometime. The ballot doesn't end until october, and the earliest I'd expect to see a character out of it is next spring.

Now if the costume was released well after the ballot, that would be a completely different story. As it stands, it would appear K Rool is still one of the top request characters, both in the West and in Japan.

I just think it would be kind of bad (and not like Sakurai) to release the costume and get K Rool supporters to buy it and then turn around and try and sell them the real deal a few months later.

But weirdly, for me, a costume doesn't discredit Inklings because the costume was announced before the game was released and before the game was popular and the characters became requested. So the Inkling costume wasn't to appease Inkling fans, rather, as a promotion for Splatoon, so it's different than K Rool who isn't really promoting anything.

Neoxon

I just think it would be kind of bad (and not like Sakurai) to release the costume and get K Rool supporters to buy it and then turn around and try and sell them the real deal a few months later.

But weirdly, for me, a costume doesn't discredit Inklings because the costume was announced before the game was released and before the game was popular and the characters became requested. So the Inkling costume wasn't to appease Inkling fans, rather, as a promotion for Splatoon, so it's different than K Rool who isn't really promoting anything.
I mean, I can get where you're coming from on the Splatoon costumes, as I doubt Sakurai expected Splatoon to be as big as it ended up being, but needed a quick & easy way to promote the game on short notice. Though there is the possibility that, like Frofro said, Sakurai made all these costumes a while back & is releasing them in waves.

Frofro

Banned

Well make of this as you will.....but the K Rool costume is being labled as retro on the title screen:

CNKMOT3UwAAIKeZ.jpg:large

I wonder what this means, as hes in a retro pack with characters like "Flying Man"

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Well make of this as you will.....but the K Rool costume is being labled as retro on the title screen:

I wonder what this means, as hes in a retro pack with characters like "Flying Man"
The design in the K. Rool costume hasn't appeared in a DK game since 1999.

Frofro

Banned
The design in the K. Rool costume hasn't appeared in a DK game since 1999.

Right. But at the same time, the fact that K Rool has a "retro" label, alongside Flying Man, implies these were planned for sometime before the ballot.

As noted about, the costumes are released in waves. Beyond that, some of the characters have themes.

Theres "Fighting Games," "Animal Crossing," "Fire Emblem," and "Retro" for example.

People like to conclude that K Rool is a "consolation prize" for the ballot, but I'd like to look at the idea that his costume was planned well before the ballot even started, as part of a "retro" costume theme.

eh... I'd be more inclined to believe that if he didn't also come with Chrom and Lloyd. Both were also consistently requested as characters and also feel like costumes made to appease ballot voters.

The Flying Man costume is based on the cut 3D Model of Flying Man from the 3DS. They probably had the model laying around and decided to make a costume out of it, since it was an interesting bit of trivia about Magicant.

Zubz

Banned

That's adorable! I really like his take on the character; poofy hair really fits a character whose main weapon is, well, her hair!

So interesting early findings with the poll

http://www.poll-maker.com/poll395154xD2B5C2B5-15

So while it automatically filters IP, people can get away with voting for the same character over and over by hiding their IP. We decided to use some of the tools the dashboard has and found something concerning. We decided to compare votes from the same computer/browser/location, and characters like Shantae are getting a lot of fake votes. Votes like these are "valid" because they are using different IPs from the same device.

For example, at the moment, Shantae has 80 votes....but 43 of them are fraudulant votes (between 3 different people).

What else is interesting, Snake has quite a bit fake votes as well, about 20 of them.

Whats even more interesting, while K Rool does have fake votes, I've only counted 7 of them. The rest of his numbers are genuine at the moment. I'd say based on these findings K Rool isn't a flavor of a month character, and is really the most popular character at the moment. So while this is just a sample poll, early data is showing me that characters like Shantae don't have as many fans as they would appear based on pollings. We are hoping to get as many votes as possible in the west to help determine a sampled idea who are the top contenders with only a few weeks left to poll.

Polls are flawed, but I'm glad I can figure out what is real with these tools.

Also feel free to write in Blaziken with the "other" option :D

Huh. That's a lot of fake votes! Hopefully the other 10 or so people backing me up on Ridley are real, and not fraudulent/repeat votes.

That's also kind of surprising about Shantae and Snake having so many fake votes; I honestly thought people would have genuinely wanted those 2. Granted, I know a huge part of this poll is that each voter can only pick one character (And should only pick him or her once), whereas with the Ballot, we have tons of repeat voters wanting an array of characters (I've covered Ridley, Sami, Wonder Red, and the Ice Climbers). And admittedly, this is only a sample population. Still, I'll admit that I thought those 2 had far more legit support.

If they bring Snake back, they should change two of his taunts. Having three box taunts where the only difference is the length of the taunt was kind of a waste, especially on a character with as much personality as Snake.

Frofro

Banned
That's adorable! I really like his take on the character; poofy hair really fits a character whose main weapon is, well, her hair!

Huh. That's a lot of fake votes! Hopefully the other 10 or so people backing me up on Ridley are real, and not fraudulent/repeat votes.

That's also kind of surprising about Shantae and Snake having so many fake votes; I honestly thought people would have genuinely wanted those 2. Granted, I know a huge part of this poll is that each voter can only pick one character (And should only pick him or her once), whereas with the Ballot, we have tons of repeat voters wanting an array of characters (I've covered Ridley, Sami, Wonder Red, and the Ice Climbers). And admittedly, this is only a sample population. Still, I'll admit that I thought those 2 had far more legit support.
Just looked into Ridley, and out of his 27 votes......2 are fraudulent!
Also counted 12 of Daisy's 25 votes as fraud.

I'm actually enjoy this research because it shows who truly has the numbers out there. while less then half of Shantaes votes are fake, she still has a decent amount of legit votes, putting her at about the #5 spot!

If they bring Snake back, they should change two of his taunts. Having three box taunts where the only difference is the length of the taunt was kind of a waste, especially on a character with as much personality as Snake.

While about a third of Snake's votes are fraud, he would be somewhere between Wolf and Banjo

You don't know how long I've been waiting for them to make one of Toon Link 's taunts into a parody of Snake's.

Get rid of the dumb fairy one and replace it with Toon Link hiding in an empty barrel.

EDIT:
Toon Link should also be able to crawl. Samus should crawl via Morph Ball.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A lot of Snake fans may have given up on him given Konami's recent nonsense.

Yep. I'm glad that they had a chance to express their feelings in ballot but I seriously doubt that we would get Snake back.

Best prepare for a MGS pachinko announcement.

I love Sami as much as the next person but the idea of her taking Snake's moveset is frankly quite odd.

Yeah, I could think of Advance Wars representative would be more likely to be a solider.
A solider could summon several sprites from Advance Wars in order to place them on the ground where they could press the buttons to trigger the vehicles to use their projectiles. It allow the solider to make the combo. Again, it sound great on the paper but it probably wouldn't work on the screen.

You don't know how long I've been waiting for them to make one of Toon Link 's taunts into a parody of Snake's.

Get rid of the dumb fairy one and replace it with Toon Link hiding in an empty barrel.

EDIT:
Toon Link should also be able to crawl. Samus should crawl via Morph Ball.

I want Toon Link's side taunt to be soup drinking, cloned from Young Link.

I don't know why they went out of their way to clone other random stuff from Young Link, but not his iconic taunt, instead adding a super boring taunt that was only made slightly more interesting in Smash 4 (but still boring).

I think TL can't crawl because the animation from crawl to crouch would be a little awkward with his sword and shield.

Frofro

Banned
I want Toon Link's side taunt to be soup drinking, cloned from Young Link.

I don't know why they went out of their way to clone other random stuff from Young Link, but not his iconic taunt, instead adding a super boring taunt that was only made slightly more interesting in Smash 4 (but still boring).

I think TL can't crawl because the animation from crawl to crouch would be a little awkward with his sword and shield.
I love TLs Wind Waker taunt, but I agree, wheres his taunt with the moomoo milk!

Dr. Buni

Whats even more interesting, while K Rool does have fake votes, I've only counted 7 of them. The rest of his numbers are genuine at the moment. I'd say based on these findings K Rool isn't a flavor of a month character, and is really the most popular character at the moment. So while this is just a sample poll, early data is showing me that characters like Shantae don't have as many fans as they would appear based on pollings. We are hoping to get as many votes as possible in the west to help determine a sampled idea who are the top contenders with only a few weeks left to poll.
Interesting. It'd be nice if K. Rool was added to Smash 4 as DLC, considering how many people want him (me included). Though tbh I am more of a Dixie supporter and I know Sakurai would never give us two DK characters as DLC.
Yeah, I could think of Advance Wars representative would be more likely to be a solider.
A solider could summon several sprites from Advance Wars in order to place them on the ground where they could press the buttons to trigger the vehicles to use their projectiles. It allow the solider to make the combo. Again, it sound great on the paper but it probably wouldn't work on the screen.
The Advance Wars rep not being Andy or Sami would be really weird, honestly. I do agree that Sami inheriting Snake's moveset would be weird (but I would take Snake!Sami over no AW rep).

Sponge

Banned
Interesting. It'd be nice if K. Rool was added to Smash 4 as DLC, considering how many people want him (me included). Though tbh I am more of a Dixie supporter and I know Sakurai would never give us two DK characters as DLC.

I personally still want Cranky Kong the most as DLC, but I would be happy with K. Rool or Dixie too.

Dr. Buni

I personally still want Cranky Kong the most as DLC, but I would be happy with K. Rool or Dixie too.
Cranky would be neat, too :)
Sami would be weird in general. Having a secondary character solely rep an entire series would be strange.
Even though Andy is THE main character, I wouldn't call Sami a secondary character when she is treated as one of the protagonists along Andy and Max. She also seems to be the most requested character from the Advance Wars series. That said, I'd be okay with Andy representing the series. But an AW rep is never happening anyways.

Sami is a pretty close to being the main character, and honestly, her design is considerably more interesting than Andy's bland-as-all-get-out look. But while an Advance Wars rep would be cool I don't see any happening, especially now that the series seems to be well and truly dead.

If there was a Wars rep (that's the series, not Advance Wars) it would probably be a soldier, probably even a soldier sprite.

The series is far older than Advance Wars and there are lots of games in it. Advance just happens to be the largest because it was the first released outside of Japan. But I think a character that represents the entire series' history would probably be more likely. Look at what reps Wars in Smash right now, sprites of soldiers from Advance Wars (although the trophy claims they're Famicom Wars soldiers).

The Advance Wars series also has an awkward history in Japan. The first game wasn't released until years later and Days of Ruin was a Club Nintendo DSiware title.

Also the DS games should have been called DS Wars or at least Dual Wars. Calling them Advance Wars makes people in the US think that's the series' name.

Frofro

Banned

I think one thing is certain; fans want a new DKC rep. I would personally love both K Rool and Dixie, but yes I agree both probably won't be DLC. We have proof that Sakurai tinkered with Dixie in the past, and this could mean shes more interesting to him than K Rool. On the other hand, Sakurai said future DLC will be fan service. Surely K Rool, who is not just the most requested DKC newcomer, but also one of the most requested newcomers in general would count as "fan service."

Isaac also falls in this range, as he has a larger fan base, and has no competitors within his series.

A quick note on Bandana Dee, while his fan "outcry" is large, but the fact that he struggles with polls shows his fans are not in numbers (or at least his fans want another character more than him).

If there was a Wars rep (that's the series, not Advance Wars) it would probably be a soldier, probably even a soldier sprite.

The series is far older than Advance Wars and there are lots of games in it. Advance just happens to be the largest because it was the first released outside of Japan. But I think a character that represents the entire series' history would probably be more likely. Look at what reps Wars in Smash right now, sprites of soldiers from Advance Wars (although the trophy claims they're Famicom Wars soldiers).

The Advance Wars series also has an awkward history in Japan. The first game wasn't released until years later and Days of Ruin was a Club Nintendo DSiware title.

Also the DS games should have been called DS Wars or at least Dual Wars. Calling them Advance Wars makes people in the US think that's the series' name.
"Advance Wars" is the series name in the West. Much like "Mother" is "Earthbound," "Insert-console here Wars" is "Advance Wars." The name is in fact a complete creation of the localizers, as the two GBA Wars games are called "Game Boy Wars Advanced."

And honestly, the series found an audience in America while it completely petered out and died in Japan, so if it were to ever be represented I would think the smart thing to do would be to rep it from the Western fanbase's point of view, as that's where the fanbase is nowadays.

Dr. Buni

I think one thing is certain; fans want a new DKC rep. I would personally love both K Rool and Dixie, but yes I agree both probably won't be DLC. We have proof that Sakurai tinkered with Dixie in the past, and this could mean shes more interesting to him than K Rool. On the other hand, Sakurai said future DLC will be fan service. Surely K Rool, who is not just the most requested DKC newcomer, but also one of the most requested newcomers in general would count as "fan service."

Isaac also falls in this range, as he has a larger fan base, and has no competitors within his series.

A quick note on Bandana Dee, while his fan "outcry" is large, but the fact that he struggles with polls shows his fans are not in numbers (or at least his fans want another character more than him).
I would love to believe the fact Dixie was considered for Brawl (and that a Rhythm Heaven rep was considered for Smash 4) mean both Dixie and a RH rep have considerable chances of being DLCs for Smash 4, but as you said, the remaining DLC characters are supposed to be fanservice... I could see a Rhythm Heaven character being "fanservice" though, since the series is quite popular on Japan, but Dixie not so much.

As for Bandana Dee, I can't wrap my head around the idea of it being playable. I guess even though I am a huge Kirby fan, I am quite satisfied with the trio being the "only" Kirby reps in Smash and if I had to pick a 4th rep, I would probably pick someone extremely unlikely like Adeleine/Ado.

We know for a fact Dixie was planned for Brawl. She was meant to be in a tag team with Diddy, but that feature was cut. There's still some references to her left in the files.

Edit: never mind, read your post as if you didn't know she was cut from Brawl.

You lads need some Sturm in this.
latest

I know it's massively unlikely that if the Wars series got a rep, it'd be the villain of the GBA games, but damn if he wasn't absolutely amazing. He could play a lot like Big Band in Skullgirls, just with war machinery instead of musical instruments (like tank cannons poking out of his coat and stuff like that).

Dr. Buni

The villain being the sole rep of a franchise instead of the protagonist/mascot would be something I would like to see, actually.

In fact, should we ever get a Castlevania rep, I think it should be Dracula and not one of the various protagonist we got to play as in the series.

I don't know what it is about Smash and villains. Bowser and Dedede are fine (except Dedede isn't even a proper villain), but Ganondorf is a semi-clone and Mewtwo and Wolf keep getting cut. Oh right, and Bowser Jr. Almost forgot about him.

Too bad the LM series is only two games (that sold well) because King Boo would be an interesting idea. Or Wart. Or Zant. Or K Rool. Or Deoxys. Or Ganon. Or Bass. Or Vaati. Or Dark Samus.

Villains seem to always get ignored for some reason :(

Zubz

Banned
The villain being the sole rep of a franchise instead of the protagonist/mascot would be something I would like to see, actually.

In fact, should we ever get a Castlevania rep, I think it should be Dracula and not one of the various protagonist we got to play as in the series.

I mean, PSASBR did it before, representing Killzone with Colonel Radec. He even kind of looks like Sturm, too... Radec was pretty fun, so I wouldn't be opposed to Sturm. I guess I'd just rather have Sami or Andy.

As for why people want Sami over Andy, she's basically a more interesting co-protagonist than the Luffy-as-a-general lead character. And people think she can replace Snake because of Project M. We don't know what they planned to do with her, but she was allegedly planned to be in there before all the in-fighting blew up on the project (She was leaked along with several others, 2 of whom were also leaked as playable on-stream).

They wanted to add characters they knew had no chance of getting into Smash proper, like Lyn, Knuckles, or Skull Kid; they assumed that, if Advance Wars got anyone, it'd be Andy, so they chose the superior Sami instead. I forget what led to the idea that she'd be a Snake clone, but the correlation was made (I guess they both are soldiers wearing headbands? Plus they knew his moveset wasn't coming back, so...).

Dr. Buni

I don't really consider Mewtwo a villain, since its "villany" was an anime-only thing (I know it is referred as such in Smash, but still). More villains would be nice, though my most wanted villain is never going to be playable (the big guy) and King K. Rool... well...

King Boo would be a neat addition btw. And so would Eggman.
I mean, PSASBR did it before, representing Killzone with Colonel Radec. He even kind of looks like Sturm, too... Radec was pretty fun, so I wouldn't be opposed to Sturm. I guess I'd just rather have Sami or Andy.
I never played that game and while I am familiar with the cast, I didn't know Colonel Radec was a villain. Thanks for letting me know ^^

I haven't seen anyone suggest Vaati since the Brawl days.

Funny how that and Geno just zapped out of existence.

I actually wanted Vaati :(

Not in an obsessive way, like the Geno crowd, but in a "one of the only non-Ganon reoccurring villains" sort of way.

Geno is coming back a bit. More now as a Mii Gunner costume request, but his popularity is hanging on a little.

I don't really consider Mewtwo a villain, since its "villany" was an anime-only thing (I know it is referred as such in Smash, but still). More villains would be nice, though my most wanted villain is never going to be playable (the big guy) and King K. Rool... well..

Mewtwo is the final boss of Red and Blue and is described as hating humanity and having a wicked heart. The most savage of all Pokemon.

A Pokémon whose genetic code was repeatedly recombined for research. It turned vicious as a result
Mewtwo is a Pokémon that was created by genetic manipulation. However, even though the scientific power of humans created this Pokémon's body, they failed to endow Mewtwo with a compassionate heart.
A Pokémon created by recombining Mew's genes. It's said to have the most savage heart among Pokémon

Based on those descriptions, the anime actually softened Mewtwo up by making him reconcile with humans and find peace. Mewtwo is savage and heartless and only cares about defeating his foes. He hates humanity and cares nothing for anyone else.

I've never seen Mewtwo in Smash as anything other than a villain rep for Pokemon. He even has a diabolical super villain laugh in Smash lol.

Vaati phased out nowadays yes, the reason he was popular before Brawl was that the GBA games were somewhat recent still, but now the last game he appeared in was 10 years ago. Most Zelda fans seem to just want a decloned Ganondorf, and in terms of newcomers, a lot go for recently relevant characters (which is why the suggestions for Impa have shot up a lot due to Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword) or Toon versions of Zelda and Ganondorf.

Sadly, unlike Zelda fans, Geno fans aren't as reasonable and think a character from a 20 year old game (that was a one-shot joint production between Nintendo and a third-party developer to boot) has legit chances, so cries for Geno will never zap out of existence.

And people think she can replace Snake because of Project M.

People have been suggesting that a Wars character inherit most of Snake's moveset long before Project M. I didn't even know Sami was a planned character in Project M and I've been saying that giving someone from the Wars series Snake's moveset would be a good compromise since it would make sense and we wouldn't lose an entirely unique character moveset.

As for why Sami - out of the main character COs, she is the one that fits Snake's body type the best. Andy is more of an engineer than a "proper" soldier.

Dr. Buni

Mewtwo is the final boss of Red and Blue and is described as hating humanity and having a wicked heart. The most savage of all Pokemon.

Based on those descriptions, the anime actually softened Mewtwo up by making him reconcile with humans and find peace. Mewtwo is savage and heartless and only cares about defeating his foes. He hates humanity and cares nothing for anyone else.

I've never seen Mewtwo in Smash as anything other than a villain rep for Pokemon. He even has a diabolical super villain laugh in Smash lol.
Yeah, I don't really believe Pokédex entries. Too much stuff written there contradicts the actual games. Also, the final boss of Red and Green is Blue Oak. Mewtwo is more akin to an ultimate/extra boss. Also, being a final boss doesn't mean the character is evil. But this discussion is pointless, my view on Mewtwo isn't going to stop others from calling it a villain, so whatever :p

The only character that should have Snake's moveset is Snake. It fits him perfectly and it would feel forced on anyone else.

The only time a character has been completely removed only to be replaced with another character with the same moveset is Young Link to Toon Link, and essentially that wasn't anything more than a name change tied to a major graphical update. "Young" and "Toon" are entirely made up names anyway, Toon Link could have easily just been called Young Link and nothing would have changed.

So it's different than one character to one other entirely new and different character.

Yeah, I don't really believe Pokédex entries. Too much stuff written there contradicts the actual games. Also, the final boss of Red and Green is Blue Oak. Mewtwo is more akin to an ultimate/extra boss. Also, being a final boss doesn't mean the character is evil. But this discussion is pointless, my view on Mewtwo isn't going to stop others from calling it a villain, so whatever :p

Well, in Smash he's portrayed as a villain, what with the sadistic laughing, the dark energy and general angst on all of his emotions and animations.

It's why I'm saying that they should inherit most of Snake's moveset, not all of it. There's a playstyle to be preserved. You can't just shove Snake's animations into a different model anyway. I'm more talking about the concept of CQC and explosives, rather than a direct clone.

NeonZ

Vaati at the time of Brawl seemed like he could be a recurring character, but Nintendo pretty much dropped him after FS Adventures and Minish Cap.

Russ T

Banned
I made the mistake of Googling Sam Advance Wars because I couldn't remember what she looked like. Hoo boy that fan art.

I'm sort of continually surprised by the never-ending love for K. Rool. Does he even exist in recent games? I personally have no interest in seeing him because it just reminds me that the DK family still exists and who knows next we'll be seeing goddamn Chunky Kong ahh the slippery slope.

But it'd be fine I guess.

Give me Waluigi or give me death.

Not that it matters since now I'm an adult and no one will play Smash Bros. with me. ):

Not that it matters since now I'm an adult and no one will play Smash Bros. with me. ):

I hardly ever play with anyone and I play Smash almost every day.

I find beating level 9 bots for an hour or so with various characters to be incredibly relaxing. Sometimes I run through All Star for fun as well.

NeonZ

I'm sort of continually surprised by the never-ending love for K. Rool. Does he even exist in recent games?

K.Rool's last appearance was in Mario Super Sluggers (2008). His last appearance in a Donkey Kong spin off was in 2007 (Barrel Blast) and his last appearance in an actual platformer was in Donkey Kong 64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom