• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone predict a character that no one seems to be guessing.

Someone predict a character that might have a chance, but isn't one of the following:

- Inklings
- Snake
- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur
- Pichu
- Banjo-Kazooie
- King K. Rool
- Dixie Kong

I feel like we're all about to be Sakurai'd again. None of us saw Cloud coming. None of us would've seen Ryu coming, if it weren't for the leak. I think Roy was also a surprise for many people (again, before the leak). Lucas, too.

We need to predict Sakurai by predicting what we wouldn't predict.

So maybe... Ridley, because Sakurai said he's not possible and we've all convinced ourselves he's not possible.

Or maybe... Layton? Phoenix Wright? Both popular characters that have frequented Nintendo platforms.

Or perhaps... I dunno, a Yokai Watch character since it's apparently popular in Japan?

Or... Or maybe... Ah, my head hurts.
Well I've already mentioned a Dragon Quest character, so I'll stick with that.

TDLink

So when are we expecting the announcement for the broadcast? Only seven more days left in November.

They never said they would announce the date in November.

Some people think the stream will happen in the first week. I personally think December 17th is going to be the date due to Final Fantasy originally releasing on that day.

Some people think the stream will happen in the first week. I personally think December 17th is going to be the date due to Final Fantasy originally releasing on that day.
That isn't a lot of time for Christmas shoppers.

So when are we expecting the announcement for the broadcast? Only seven more days left in November.

Given it's Nintendo we're talking about, I wouldn't expect any details to hit more than three days before the actual event. I would expect it to happen before 24th to avoid coinciding with present opening internet rush (they failed this before with Pokemon Bank thingy, but maybe they learned), and to make Smash more relevant for presents - so probably WAY before 24th. Then again, it's Nintendo - for all we know they could make a New Year's Eve stream. (Especially if they launch a new physical product, announcing it NOW would be stupid.)

TDLink

That isn't a lot of time for Christmas shoppers.

Most Christmas shoppers aren't going to base their Wii U and/or Smash purchasing decisions on new DLC. That's why smash is in a Wii U Bundle this week.

You're also talking about the company that is releasing their biggest game of the holiday -after- Black Friday.

RK128

So we are making out there guesses now? Okay :D!

Ezio (AC II)
-Face of AC series for a long while
-Lots of moveset potential
-Rep for Ubisoft
-Skins could be other AC assiasins

Crash Bandicoot
-Icon of the 90's
-Moveset pooled from Naughty Dog and Travelers Tales/Vicarious Visions titles (Crash 1-CTR & Crash Wrath of Cortex, Nitro Kart, and Twinasnity)
-Another 'WTF' moment considering his association with the PlayStation brand

Spyro the Dragon
-Another 90's icon and an representative of modern Activision (Skylanders)
-Skylanders started as a Wii exclusive and the series had deals with Nintendo (exclusive Nintendo skylanders in Superchargers, Wii U bundle for Swap Force, ect)
-Moveset can be pulled from a lot of sources (Spyro PS1 Trilogy, the two PS2 'Classic' Spyro games, Legend of Spyro series, Skylanders series)

Nights (Nights into Dreams)
-Second Sega Rep (next to Sonic)
-Another Sonic Team creation
-Moveset potential can be great if done right
-Great design that stands out
-Stage he/she comes with would be awesome

Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch)
-IP exploded on 3DS in Japan
-Great, iconic design
-Moveset could use a mix of all his various incarnations throughout the series
-His stage could have some creative gimmicks (summoning various Yo-Kai as the fight progresses)

Kritio (Sword Art Online - Bamco Video Games Version)
-Stupid choice but hear me out
-Games are a success to Bamco and the IP has popularity in west and japan
-His moveset could be pulled from all over (anime, games, ect)
-Stage could have some amazing tunes playing, considering the anime's soundtrack is really good
-Would be fun to beat him up as Pickachu or Mario XD!

Most Christmas shoppers aren't going to base their Wii U and/or Smash purchasing decisions on new DLC. That's why smash is in a Wii U Bundle this week.

You're also talking about the company that is releasing their biggest game of the holiday -after- Black Friday.
You're thinking big purchases.

eShop gift cards for purchasing DLC characters are cheap and easy gifts for Smash fans, especially Smash Fans with no disposable income, like children. Releasing it the week before Christmas doesn't really leave enough time to buy the cards, or even for the child to ask for it. Also a lot of people are already done with shopping by then anyway.

When I was a kid, if 64/Melee had DLC, I would have had to wait for Christmas for a giftcard to get it, and late December would have been far too late for my parents/grandparents to get it for me. At that point I'd be looking at waiting until February for my Birthday...

RK128

Kirito is one of the worst anime main characters to ever exist.

No. Never.

That why he should be in Smash :D! So Mario and Co can beat the crap out of him :').

To be serious, it was a joke suggestion and a very 'out their' pick all things considered. And if any anime character popped up in Smash, it would be Goku anyway :).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

I just hope they don't wait until something stupid like Christmas to release the update. Their servers are gonna be wrecked that day.

You mean XCX? I honestly think they don't think it's their biggest game of the holiday.

kirby_fox

Banned

Two dates speak to me for the broadcast: Dec. 4th and Dec. 11th

Dec. 4th would give them time for a last minute push in December to sell a Wii U with Smash as the reason to do so. This would target fans of Smash who have yet to dive in, and didn't go out on Black Friday.

Dec. 11th would be less time, but specifically for Smash fans. Those who already know DLC is coming would have asked for an eshop card by then, including kids. But if a kid forgets, it's an easy add-on for parents to finish up their shopping with a $20 card.

Actual announcement of the date...I'd give them 1-2 days prior.

Platy

[...]

I feel like we're all about to be Sakurai'd again. None of us saw Cloud coming. None of us would've seen Ryu coming, if it weren't for the leak. I think Roy was also a surprise for many people (again, before the leak). Lucas, too.

We need to predict Sakurai by predicting what we wouldn't predict.

The easiest way to predict Sakurai unpredictable is going outside the hardcore gamer looks.
Fuck you ridley, only hardcore gamers like metroid.

Style Savvy, Nintendogs, Brain Age, Donjey Kong Jr Math, Pink Rabbit Seller from Badge Arcade.

Or non gaming nintendo stuff. Like that Ultra Hand thing that already appeared even in Mario Kart 8

8fi44V6.jpg

The baseball trower that already appeared in Wario Ware and Rusty Real Deal Baseball

V2pKVI3.jpg

Maybe a console ?
Like a mix of a Wii, a gamecube and a Snes with N64 controllers as hands ?

Or maybe .... AN AMIIBO !
Like how Mukujin works on tekken ... each life is a diferent moveset or maybe something like SF's Seth, which each special is from a diferent character

Someone predict a character that might have a chance, but isn't one of the following:

- Inklings
- Snake
- Wolf
- Ice Climbers
- Squirtle
- Ivysaur
- Pichu
- Banjo-Kazooie
- King K. Rool
- Dixie Kong
Bomberman
Bayonetta
Geno

TDLink

You're thinking big purchases.

eShop gift cards for purchasing DLC characters are cheap and easy gifts for Smash fans, especially Smash Fans with no disposable income, like children. Releasing it the week before Christmas doesn't really leave enough time to buy the cards, or even for the child to ask for it. Also a lot of people are already done with shopping by then anyway.

When I was a kid, if 64/Melee had DLC, I would have had to wait for Christmas for a giftcard to get it, and late December would have been far too late for my parents/grandparents to get it for me. At that point I'd be looking at waiting until February for my Birthday...

Most kids are not going to be asking for eshop cards, let's be real. The amount of people this will affect in terms of a "Christmas gift" is ridiculously tiny that the demographic is essentially irrelevant.

New Smash DLC is primarily targeting current owners for Smash for 3DS and Wii U. Sure it creates further incentives to buy the game, but at this point most of the people who are going to get the game have it. And those who don't and are going to be buying the system this holiday likely will get it in that bundle.

I just hope they don't wait until something stupid like Christmas to release the update. Their servers are gonna be wrecked that day.

I agree, and I think it will be before that, but Nintendo has done stupider things before.

You mean XCX? I honestly think they don't think it's their biggest game of the holiday.

Yes. Maybe XCX won't sell as well as those games (though it deserves to), but it is definitely their biggest game. Clearly the most expensive (from their perspective) and largest in terms of scale and content. It's also their only title this holiday that appeals directly to the "core". Maybe they don't see it as their big holiday title...but it is. And they should. It's a huge mistake that they have not already released the game and are instead waiting a week, after Black Friday.

Most kids are not going to be asking for eshop cards, let's be real.

I don't think I ever put any money at all in my Wii Shop account because every extended relative heard from my parents I had a Wii, and just kept giving me Wii Shop cards when I was younger. I must have gotten like 200 dollars over the years.

They make nice gifts for kids if you have no idea what they like other than they own a Wii U/3DS.

TDLink

I don't think I ever put any money at all in my Wii Shop account because every extended relative heard from my parents I had a Wii, and just kept giving me Wii Shop cards when I was younger. I must have gotten like 200 dollars over the years.

They make nice gifts for kids if you have no idea what they like other than they own a Wii U/3DS.

That may be true, but I think it's a very small minority who that applies to. And they certainly aren't going to base their DLC release schedule around kids begging their parents for eshop cards.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, it's going to happens in third weeks of December.

Yes. Maybe XCX won't sell as well as those games (though it deserves to), but it is definitely their biggest game. Clearly the most expensive (from their perspective) and largest in terms of scale and content. It's also their only title this holiday that appeals directly to the "core". Maybe they don't see it as their big holiday title...but it is. And they should. It's a huge mistake that they have not already released the game and are instead waiting a week, after Black Friday.

Ehh, semantics. The XCX may be their most... refined title. But it is most definitely not their most... important one for reasons you entirely understand - it appeals directly to a fraction of core players and that's that. They are not going to sell it to Mario Kart crowd no matter what. Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash may be older, but have an actual chance of turning a profit.

I don't see why they should see it as their biggest one... do you know any company which pushes niche masterpieces as their top products while having anything else to sell?

TDLink

Ehh, semantics. The XCX may be their most... refined title. But it is most definitely not their most... important one for reasons you entirely understand - it appeals directly to a fraction of core players and that's that. They are not going to sell it to Mario Kart crowd no matter what. Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash may be older, but have an actual chance of turning a profit.

I don't see why they should see it as their biggest one... do you know any company which pushes niche masterpieces as their top products while having anything else to sell?

Except they don't have anything else to sell. They know Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival are not going to be Splatoon/Mario Maker/Smash level successes. Maybe they will do better than XCX (though I don't know that's a guarantee, especially with the poor critical reception both have received) but they are not tentpole AAA releases like those 3 aforementioned titles or XCX.

batfax

Are we still discussing completely out there possibilities that are mostly thinly veiled personal wishes? 'cause if so, my fingers are still crossed for Rico Tyrell from Phantasy Star Online. The RED weapons cover basically every class, she can use magic/techniques, PSO was definitely a big game back on GC, it's a successful series that's been going longer than Sonic for SEGA, and she could have a totally bitchin' Final Smash.

The PSO classes/classic series characters would make awesome Mii costumes too.

Except they don't have anything else to sell. They know Mario Tennis and Amiibo Festival are not going to be Splatoon/Mario Maker/Smash level successes. Maybe they will do better than XCX (though I don't know that's a guarantee, especially with the poor critical reception both have received) but they are not tentpole AAA releases like those 3 aforementioned titles or XCX.

They have the yourself-mentioned "old" titles.

TDLink

They have the yourself-mentioned "old" titles.

Yes, and most people who own a Wii U and are interested in those games already have them. Those buying a Wii U for those games can get a bundle that includes two of them already. XCX is their biggest new game this holiday that they are trying to sell. Except that they aren't trying very hard. But they should.

Are we still discussing completely out there possibilities that are mostly thinly veiled personal wishes? 'cause if so, my fingers are still crossed for Rico Tyrell from Phantasy Star Online. The RED weapons cover basically every class, she can use magic/techniques, PSO was definitely a big game back on GC, it's a successful series that's been going longer than Sonic for SEGA, and she could have a totally bitchin' Final Smash.

The PSO classes/classic series characters would make awesome Mii costumes too.
I didn't actually really want any of my suggestions. If I was going for characters I wanted that were out there it'd be silly stuff like the FOnewearl from PSO but armed with a Soul Eater :p

Neiteio

To refine my question to you all, I meant what BIG character could they add that none of us are currently guessing.

Cloud is the perfect example. Huge character, but no one here was guessing him prior to his reveal. Same for Ryu, prior to him being leaked.

Pizza

To refine my question to you all, I meant what BIG character could they add that none of us are currently guessing.

Cloud is the perfect example. Huge character, but no one here was guessing him prior to his reveal. Same for Ryu, prior to him being leaked.

Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth, Voodoo Cince, Blinx the Time Sweeper, Stealth Elf, Red Power Ranger, SpongeBob, Goku, Pepsi Man, Nintendoland TV face, Pink Gold Peach, Lakitu, Shadow the Hedgehog, Call of Duty, Wonder Red, Scorpion, Fatal Fury guy, Heihatchi, Ice Climbers, Dovahkin, Billy Hatcher, Scooter from Ribbit King, or the protagonist of Graffiti Kingdom

Any of those are viable, just remember you heard it here first

Sponge

Banned
Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sweet Tooth, Voodoo Cince, Blinx the Time Sweeper, Stealth Elf, Red Power Ranger, SpongeBob, Goku, Pepsi Man, Nintendoland TV face, Pink Gold Peach, Lakitu, Shadow the Hedgehog, Call of Duty, Wonder Red, Scorpion, Fatal Fury guy, Heihatchi, Ice Climbers, Dovahkin, Billy Hatcher, Scooter from Ribbit King, or the protagonist of Graffiti Kingdom

No Parappa?

You gotta believe harder.

Ryce

Every major video game character has been mentioned by someone at some point, but I wouldn’t consider the following characters to be commonly discussed:
  • Chris, Jill, or Leon. Resident Evil is huge, and they could have a resource management and/or ammunition swap mechanic to avoid using guns.
  • Erdrick, the legendary Dragon Quest hero.
  • Jin, the protagonist of the best-selling entry (Tekken 3) in the best-selling fighting series.
  • Sora from Kingdom Hearts. It’d be pretty shocking seeing Disney in the credits.
  • Crash Bandicoot was the closest thing Sony had to a direct Mario rival on PlayStation, and the series sold surprisingly well in Japan.
  • Secondary characters from the already included third-parties, like Tails or Chun-Li.

Vidiot

The hugest character of all, Ridley!

TrueBlue

I hope that the Midgar stage allows for some Squeenix songs that aren't from Final Fantasy to be featured. Been playing the final chapters of Bravely Default recently, so obviously I have heard this hotness quite frequently:

That Person's Name Is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jHVehUi6A

It'd also be cool if The World Ends With You got some musical representation. With so so many good songs in that game, it;d be hard to choose which, but if I had to...

Emptiness and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJZqK0F0wY

The One Star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nXNfBTznE

Hell, even the medley that was released for the iOS version teaser site would be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzDeIP4880E

Then you factor in others games like Super Mario RPG, and bigger series like Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts, and you have potential for a varied and epic list of tracks. I hope they make the most of the opportunity.

So anybody thinks that either Namco or SE would get a second 3rd Party Rep like Capcom?

I don't know why, but I feel SE would get another...

I don't think either of those companie have another appealing enough third party series to use, though.

Like, Tekken is probably second in line to Pac-Man (it's the highest selling fighting game series) but its characters aren't really that exciting especially since we already have Ryu. And Dragon Quest is famous in Japan, but that's the thing, famous only in Japan. It doesn't have the same world wide appeal as something like Final Fantasy.

I honestly never expected anyone, even jokingly, to mention my favourite skylander XD

I don't think either of those companie have another appealing enough third party series to use, though.

Like, Tekken is probably second in line to Pac-Man (it's the highest selling fighting game series) but its characters aren't really that exciting especially since we already have Ryu. And Dragon Quest is famous in Japan, but that's the thing, famous only in Japan. It doesn't have the same world wide appeal as something like Final Fantasy.

SE has Multiple appealing characters and Namco has Goku, but i feel he's never gonna happen, but its sakurai so who knows.

Also what about Sega?

Yukinari

Dig Dug would be an obvious 2nd Namco choice honestly. Even if the sequels to Dig Dug arent as prominent as the original its still a popular franchise. Not to mention Pooka is in Smash Run.

And it would mean we could have a Mr.Driller costume.

Platy

An Angry Bird to represent mobile gaming ... or since it is japan, Puzzle & Dragons character

Go back to Rayman or Bit.Trip Runner would be unexpected since they are already in with trophies

I hope that the Midgar stage allows for some Squeenix songs that aren't from Final Fantasy to be featured. Been playing the final chapters of Bravely Default recently, so obviously I have heard this hotness quite frequently:

That Person's Name Is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jHVehUi6A

It'd also be cool if The World Ends With You got some musical representation. With so so many good songs in that game, it;d be hard to choose which, but if I had to...

Emptiness and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJZqK0F0wY

The One Star:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-nXNfBTznE

Hell, even the medley that was released for the iOS version teaser site would be awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzDeIP4880E

Then you factor in others games like Super Mario RPG, and bigger series like Dragon Quest and Kingdom Hearts, and you have potential for a varied and epic list of tracks. I hope they make the most of the opportunity.
I feel like Kingdom Hearts is probably off the cards unless Disney gives the okay, even if it's just using some music directly ripped from the games.

Personally I'd like a track or two from The World Ends With You. Half the cast look like KH's cast anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom