• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SmileBASIC |OT| Creating and sharing retro games in 3D, on the go!

B4s5C

Smileboom made several big announcements today: http://smileboom.com/press/20151017petitcom/

-"Solid Gunner", a game previously only available as part of the paid standalone "Petit Computer Magazine" compilation, is now publicly available (JD2EE2QV). This game was made by members of 8bits fanatics, the Japanese indie devs behind 1001 Spikes.

Wow Solid Gunner is really neat. I bought the game so I could learn and maybe contribute a little to my friend's games but I am super impressed with Solid Gunner. Really shows how awesome games can be on the system.

Umibozu

So some stand out games for me from the google docs are:
Lunar_saviors (P2W4EK3V) -sidescrolling shmup
Zerotank (8ADQ83HJ) - overhead tank game
Arcs100 (N3A5E3L3) - fighting game

That's outside of the games that have already been mentioned in this thread

Arcanum Stone (arcs100) is actually pretty crazy when you look at it - I can't imagine that could have been done in Petit Computer. I should look at the source sometime, haha

Also, Solid Gunner is pretty sweet as well. Need to get on programming some stuff :)

Umibozu

Yeah, Arcanum Stone has a lot to it. A story mode (although japanese language only) with different ending screens for each character, 11 characters to play as with different moves/specials, a survival mode, training mode and spectator mode.

As someone who has no programming knowledge I was nervous that there wouldn't be enough community made games there to validate my purchase but after playing the few games already made I'm more than happy with it. I also look forward to see what games come in the future.

Umibozu

I just unlocked 2 new characters in arcanum stone, one of which was dr. hakase.
I guess there are 13 playable characters in the game.
I'm continuously impressed by this game.

So I've been working on a raycasting library, and the tech demo I was working on ended up turning into a spooky game for Halloween.

Hopefully I'll be able to release a fairly polished product by the 31st!

8oIhQuI.png

B4s5C

So I've been working on a raycasting library, and the tech demo I was working on ended up turning into a spooky game for Halloween.

8oIhQuI.png

That looks awesome! Would definitely enjoy trying that out.

Umibozu

8oIhQuI.png
that looks really nice, hope to try it out when it's released

I finally got my game in a releasable state! So, I might as well copy my post from Miiverse:

4hO0wP3.jpg

Happy Halloween! It's time for a raycaster game! This is a survival game filled with skellingtons, explosions, and of course, cats. Find the key and escape the maze, and if you rescue a cat you may get a reward... but watch your back! You never know what may be lurking in the shadows...

Download key: QK4N3PZF

This also includes my raycasting library with some extensive documentation, so hopefully other people will make some cool things with it!

I finally got my game in a releasable state! So, I might as well copy my post from Miiverse:

This also includes my raycasting library with some extensive documentation, so hopefully other people will make some cool things with it!

But money is tight this Fall and while I can get this just as easily in Spring there are a lot of physical deals coming up that I can't.

Will be sure to come back and check all this stuff.

Oh, the game's out already?

8oIhQuI.png

And it's fast enough to do a bit of ray tracing?

Hmm, guess I know what my next purchase will be! But I'll have to wait until after midterms...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh, the game's out already?

And it's fast enough to do a bit of ray tracing?

Hmm, guess I know what my next purchase will be! But I'll have to wait until after midterms...
Remember the time when it took well-optimized C/asm code to do that on a 386?.. Now you can do that in an interpreter. On a toy handheld. Crazy times.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'd like to say it's well-optimized interpreter code, though... or at least I tried!
It's definitely impressive! I did not mean to diminish your work in any way.

Actually you've given me some ideas for when I eventually get mine.. : )

Umibozu

Was looking at the wikia and apparently games made in smilebig (upcoming wiiU game) will work in smilebasic which I would be looking forward to. Also hope to see some turn based games developed for it.

Hmm... darn. Was keeping up somewhat with PetitModem, thanks to the author posting there. And I was just in the middle of a post there too.

I'll try and finish researching in the meantime.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Smilebasic Source was a pain to browse/navigate and they should have just gone with a no-bullshit wiki.

It's not like many people were using it, anyhow.

WingedOne

Neo Member
I found out about a nifty shooter game from Japan called "Plane 2 Solid" that utilizes a virtual, simulated parallax barrier from within the game to overcome the stereoscopic 3D limitations of SmileBasic. The public key is K4KVPRP.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, anybody have any idea why SmileBasic Source has been taken down?
I believe there were some spamming problems from immature users and the admin got fed up with it. A real shame, too, it was starting to build up some nice resources.

Sigh.

After running out of free time, I turned the older Petit Computer wiki over to 5-6 active users as mods. A few months later, I started getting e-mails because it had devolved into chaos and problems.

I thought they had fixed those issues ...

Edit: Chat appears to be back.

ccharla

I'm so excited for this. I loved Petit Computer.

Is there a way to publish games other than via the cloud? Any QR code functionality?

I'm so excited for this. I loved Petit Computer.

Is there a way to publish games other than via the cloud? Any QR code functionality?
Nope, the cloud is the only (officially supported) way. Somebody did make a program called Petit Modem that transfers data from a PC via microphone input, but that method is currently pretty useless for anything but very small amounts of data.

ccharla

Nope, the cloud is the only (officially supported) way. Somebody did make a program called Petit Modem that transfers data from a PC via microphone input, but that method is currently pretty useless for anything but very small amounts of data.

That's a bummer, I loved the QR code stuff, especially since you could write code on a Mac and then transfer it. Downloading tonight though!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So is there really no [feasible] way to transfer data from the 3DS to computer? Or possibly share code outside of their own online tools?

I was kind of hoping someone would port the PTC Mario Maker, but it seems kind of pointless since it would likely be taken down as soon as it was uploaded to their servers, right?

LegatoB

So is there really no [feasible] way to transfer data from the 3DS to computer? Or possibly share code outside of their own online tools?

I was kind of hoping someone would port the PTC Mario Maker, but it seems kind of pointless since it would likely be taken down as soon as it was uploaded to their servers, right?
Petit Modem works -- it's just very, very, very slow. For programs, it's fine, but for graphics data, you'll have to be clever about packing it -- sending a full graphics page is simply out of the question.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I've never used PTC or SB before, so this may be a stupid question, but when you download someone else's project, can you view their code or does it restrict you to just executing?

Dacvak

Damn, that's super cool. Now I just need to learn how to code in basic.

omg_mjd

Just got this and downloaded the PDF manuals. So excited--it's bringing me back to the days I spent glued to my Commodore 64 and writing simple games in BASIC.

Weird question, but which modern variation of BASIC is SmileBASIC closest to on PC? I googled and found Small Basic, FreeBasic and AppGameKit. Is SmileBASIC similar to those?

Top Bottom