• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smooth McGroove covers One Winged Angel (Acapella)

pslong009

Neo Member
Someone slap me if I'm completely wrong, but didn't he post a video showing that what he does is basically sample his own voice and then plays them via a midi track?

So he's not actually singing each note like you'd expect from what you expect from a college or barbershop acapella group, and he's more or less 'lipsyncing' the sequenced tracks in the video.

Which hey, more power to him since it keeps his output pretty steady, but I think calling it acapella is very misleading.

That's basically what the collegiate a cappella groups do for their recordings. And there's a huge difference between the approach that a cappella groups take in terms of their arranging for recording in-studio compared to live performances.

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone else - this is definitely one of his best videos to date.

Nokterian

Goddamn he nails it. Smooth McGroove is da bomb. With his majestic beard and long hair but also his lovely cat Charl!

A breathtaking work of staggering genius. I didn't even know something like this was possible before that video, wow... Thanks for making this thread, OP.

When the OWA song is added to Loudr I'll purchase the albums in a heartbeat.

Edit: Derp. The song is already there on Loudr, I simply wasn't looking hard enough.

22 heads * 7 min playing time = over 2 1/2 hours of pure singing, and that's assuming he hit it with the first try plus not accounting the arrangement and mixing work. Insane indeed.

I love the gameplay footage in the center - it's a real nice touch. Plus all of the cat and eyebrow hijinks.

The song is great, and the video takes it onto another level.

antitrop

This made me tear up a bit. I'm not sure entirely why, probably the overwhelming clash of childhood nostalgia and inescapable talent.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm probably going to be alone in this but... I don't like it. :( I do enjoy his work usually, mind. And that cat is so adorable <3 But this one sounds way too auto-tuned, and his anglophone accent when pronouncing the Latin phrases absolutely grate. I cringed every time, it's really bad. Ruins the song for me, which is weird because I'm not usually that picky about pronunciation or accents, but this time it's so flagrant I just... gah.

Jackano

I was wondering, no thread on GAF.
That's his grand video this time!
I sometimes listen to the original, psone One Winged Angel and Smooth version is very faithful to it.
The original one have a slower tempo than the recent arrangements/ Distant Worlds orchestration.

Wookieomg

Fucking fantastic! Hadn't heard of this guy till now. Really impressive stuff! Corridors of Time and One Winged Angel are a couple of my favorite pieces of VGM. He does them justice! :)

I just realized...whenever he gets around to Dancing Mad, I will easily cry.

Easily the most difficult piece of gaming music to replicate though. I'm not even sure how he will do it, but it will be awesome to see him try.

This is great, but his Latin pronunciations kind of bring it down a notch.

Still an amazing effort, obviously. I was wondering where he's been!

wmlk

We can only ask so much.

Perhaps he'll fix it eventually. But I didn't even notice (the only foreign language I know is Spanish...wouldn't know how to hear Latin properly).

I dunno, I just try to imitate whatever language I hear to the best of my ability. I just think it's ignorant otherwise. Might not be the same for everyone though, and I understand that.

jett

D-Member
He went a bit overboard with the voice manipulation, that had to have been his most synthetic work yet, which is funny because it's the only one with actual lyrics. :p

TheOGB

Banned
I just realized...whenever he gets around to Dancing Mad, I will easily cry.

Easily the most difficult piece of gaming music to replicate though. I'm not even sure how he will do it, but it will be awesome to see him try.
Oh god, that would be glorious

Top Bottom