• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

Mzo

Anyone ever use these guys on ebay?
They claimed to do combine shipping, but are trying to charge me $86 EMS shipping on a 2200gram order (9 items). If I shipped each item individually it would only be $7 off.
I calculated it on JapanPost's website and it was only $44 with EMS.
I sent them an email. But I feel like they won't reply. Are they scamming people with the shipping costs?

Number of us here have used them in the past. They're reputable. I mostly get on their penny auctions, drop them if the price gets too high, and combine a few purchases before asking them to ship, so it's always worth it.

I did definitely think that my last shipping estimate was too high when comparing it to the standard EMS shipping table though, yes.

HaL64

Why has the price on this game skyrocketed?
Did someone make a youtube video lately claiming its some lost treasure or something?

Gameboy415

I hit up the Midwest Gaming Classic with a friend over the weekend and had a blast!

I decided to treat myself for my b-day (which is today, woo) and picked up a ton of great retro games. :)
Here are my SNES pickups:
rh2n91E.jpg

I hit up the Midwest Gaming Classic with a friend over the weekend and had a blast!

I decided to treat myself for my b-day (which is today, woo) and picked up a ton of great retro games. :)
Here are my SNES pickups:
rh2n91E.jpg

I was there with my wife and daughter on Sunday. Snagged a boxed Contra Hard Corps and Mega man 3. Couldn't hunt as long as I wanted to in the tent as my daughter was tired and it we needed to head back to Chicago. Great show, though.

I was there with my wife and daughter on Sunday. Snagged a boxed Contra Hard Corps and Mega man 3. Couldn't hunt as long as I wanted to in the tent as my daughter was tired and it we needed to head back to Chicago. Great show, though.

You missed out on the tent flooding and electricity going out on Saturday.

HaL64

Picked up a few things at MGC myself.
DSC08823.jpg

I was happy to finally find a Gyromite marked for $3 with a Famicom adapter inside. Been searching for awhile!
Rest of the deals I got were below ebay prices. Some well below. Like the $10 Jaguar controller and the $15 for the nintendo power guides.
Not going there next year expecting some crazy deals. The deals were just so-so.

Some people were out of their minds with their prices.
Examples:
$150 for a boxed super metroid that wasn't even in great condition. Guy marked it down to $110 the next day. Some idiot bought it.
$220 for a loose Earthbound

That's why you see no major titles purchased in the image above. Most popular titles were all marked way up for the people who don't mind throwing away their money.

IrishNinja

sweet merciful crap Hal, you done good though man! and i totally get what you're saying here, Mzo & I were just talkin about how the best you can hope for at cons/shows these days is fair pricing on more b-tier stuff. even so, you gotta lotta that & a-tier as well man.

Teknoman

sweet merciful crap Hal, you done good though man! and i totally get what you're saying here, Mzo & I were just talkin about how the best you can hope for at cons/shows these days is fair pricing on more b-tier stuff. even so, you gotta lotta that & a-tier as well man.

There was one game chasers video where they went to a con and snagged Panzer Dragoon Saga for like 90 bucks or something complete. Thats not cheap...but a damn good deal compared to what you see it for elsewhere.

It'll be in a thrift shop one day...and that'll be the day i'll spontaneously combust.

Contemplating laying down some dollars on this:

TCu9Opu.jpg

I'm located in Australia and I have a SNES collection, but having this would pretty much top my reasons to start looking for a SNES console that could play both NTSC/PAL cartridges.

(I can't find a PAL version of this game, and I don't think it exists. But I basically just want a good WRPG that's set in the D&D universe and this is it).

What console should I be looking at?

Huggers

Anyone in UK interested in boxed copies of Illusion of Time and Zelda: A link to The Past complete with manuals and maps?

These have been in my personal possession for around 20 years so unfortunately have not been kept in pristine condition.

Zelda box is in worn condition but it does it's job and the map has a very small tear along the fold under links foot. Illusion of Time unfortunately doesnt come with the inner white card tray.

13824152293_cc6b316e98_b.jpg

13824141123_ec6972006d_b.jpg

looking to offload them, if this isn't the right place for this I will delete this post :)

I might be interested in Zelda. How much are you after for it?

How much was Run Saber?

Also this is making me want to hit a flea market this weekend lol.

Run Saber is one of those funny games developed in Japan, but only released in the west, like Rolling Thunder 3.

It's basically a worse Strider. That for some reason sells for 50 bucks now.

Velinos

You got some good stuff there. Devil's Crush is one of the best, if not the best pinball game ever made. Castle of Illusion is a great genesis title. Your NES pickups are all quality games. Remember that not all great games are expensive. Most games that are expensive are so because they are rare, and there is reason why these games are rare. Very few are Little Samsons, where they are both great games and are expensive.

-KRS-

Contemplating laying down some dollars on this:

http://i.imgur.com/TCu9Opu.jpg

I'm located in Australia and I have a SNES collection, but having this would pretty much top my reasons to start looking for a SNES console that could play both NTSC/PAL cartridges.

(I can't find a PAL version of this game, and I don't think it exists. But I basically just want a good WRPG that's set in the D&D universe and this is it).

What console should I be looking at?

If you want a SNES that can play both PAL and NTSC games you're gonna have to have it modded either with switches on the back or the newer SuperCIC mod. And in that case you could just have your current PAL SNES modded rather than buying a new one. If you don't want to mod your current SNES I'd get a Super Famicom since I think the American SNES has to be modded to output RGB signals. Sure, since you're modding it anyway it might not matter much but it's just one extra thing to think about. Plus the SFC/PAL SNES design is the best!

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it maybe the American SNES does output RGB and it was only the SNES Mini that didn't. Someone else probably knows better.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Edit: Actually, now that I think about it maybe the American SNES does output RGB and it was only the SNES Mini that didn't. Someone else probably knows better.

Yeah only the mini needs to be modded for RGB.

-KRS-

I also just remembered that with a PAL SNES or SFC you need to use some sort of adapter to play american games. Or you could file down the sides of the cartridge slot to make american carts fit but it will detract a tiny bit from the overall look of the console. So an american SNES is better in that regard, because you only have to remove some tabs inside the cartridge slot to fit PAL/JP games.

Gameboy415

M-m-mohawk and Headphone Jack...
what have you done

I'd swear I heard it was decent...maybe I mixed it up with something else.
Oh well, at least it was cheap! haha

Yeah, there was still a lot of decent stuff left on Sunday.
I think a few vendors even put out new stuff b/c I picked up quite a few things on Sunday morning I didn't recall seeing on Saturday.

You missed out on the tent flooding and electricity going out on Saturday.

Yeah, that was ridiculous!
I'm just glad I set an alarm on my phone instead of the hotel's clock and managed to get up in time to get in the Vendor room right when it opened on Saturday.

Picked up a few things at MGC myself.
DSC08823.jpg

I was happy to finally find a Gyromite marked for $3 with a Famicom adapter inside. Been searching for awhile!
Rest of the deals I got were below ebay prices. Some well below. Like the $10 Jaguar controller and the $15 for the nintendo power guides.
Not going there next year expecting some crazy deals. The deals were just so-so.

Some people were out of their minds with their prices.
Examples:
$150 for a boxed super metroid that wasn't even in great condition. Guy marked it down to $110 the next day. Some idiot bought it.
$220 for a loose Earthbound

That's why you see no major titles purchased in the image above. Most popular titles were all marked way up for the people who don't mind throwing away their money.

I bought a ton of other stuff at the show and posted it in the main Pick-Up thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108264126&postcount=379
I agree about the pricing - some stuff I wanted to get was absurdly over-priced but I'm pretty happy with what I paid for everything I did end up buying.

I'm definitely planning on attending the show again next year - we should do a GAF meetup next time! :)

Man, my dkc3 started freaking out this week. My brother and I were playing sunday, when it hung up on a black load screen and the music kept going. Then the next time we booted it up, two of my saves were gone. So I reset again and the third disappeared too. Then it hung up again after beating the spider boss. Arich was just sitting there, wriggling silently. Kongs standing over his body, uncaring and almost sociopathic.

I ordered the sfc version for $11 off eBay though. Fast and free shipping too!

Man, my dkc3 started freaking out this week. My brother and I were playing sunday, when it hung up on a black load screen and the music kept going. Then the next time we booted it up, two of my saves were gone. So I reset again and the third disappeared too. Then it hung up again after beating the spider boss. Arich was just sitting there, wriggling silently. Kongs standing over his body, uncaring and almost sociopathic.

I ordered the sfc version for $11 off eBay though. Fast and free shipping too!

Maybe it wants you to get TF.

dat planned obsolescence

I already have TF. But dkc3 is my favorite, so it's sad to see it go like this. I bought it back when snes games were still cheap. Back when I bought mega man x for $5.

Gameboy415

What was up with those ears everyone was wearing (and you apparently got for free)? What were they for/from?

There was a room downstairs that had demos set up for recent Nintendo games (and some Pokemon podcast-thing, I guess?) and a table with a bunch of free Nintendo swag - the cat ears, Mario wristbands, etc.

There was a room downstairs that had demos set up for recent Nintendo games (and some Pokemon podcast-thing, I guess?) and a table with a bunch of free Nintendo swag - the cat ears, Mario wristbands, etc.

I see. I didn't go down there until Sunday afternoon. Just looked like a bunch of people sitting around playing Pokemon. But, kept seeing those ears all weekend.

HaL64

Some people had messaged me awhile back about snes mini RGB/s-video mods.
I recently got parts to do them again. So if you are one of those people and have not got a PM from me yesterday, send me a PM now if still interested.

IrishNinja

Dude, if you didn't have any of those games before, you did great!

seriously, these are the prices for common SNES games i have in my head from like 2000 or so, and you got back there without a time machine. well done man!

trade aero quickly for whatever you can get, even if it's scabies

seriously, these are the prices for common SNES games i have in my head from like 2000 or so, and you got back there without a time machine. well done man!

trade aero quickly for whatever you can get, even if it's scabies

Yeah, I played 5 mins of aero and I'm ready to unload it.

Ok, forgive my momentary laziness but I assume this is a easy one for some people in here.

I'm considering the purchase of a JP Super Famicom, thing is... I know US Super NES uses different RGB cables than the PAL one, so what about a japanese SNES?

I'm not interested in Scart21 cables either.

Thanks! ;)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ok, forgive my momentary laziness but I assume this is a easy one for some people in here.

I'm considering the purchase of a JP Super Famicom, thing is... I know US Super NES uses different RGB cables than the PAL one, so what about a japanese SNES?

I'm not interested in Scart21 cables either.

Thanks! ;)

Super Famicom cables are interchangeable with US SNES cables.

You could use a J21 cable or a SCART cable meant for US SNES or Super Famicom.

Top Bottom